soma

Last of the Gunboat 55’s

Interesting epilogue. Coincidentally it’s destined for my home island, though I have nothing to do with this project. 

Looks pretty cool actually. It seems like they added some volume aft, which will help her powerboat performance.  

https://voodoovi.com/the-vessel/

Not sure about having no rudders, although I agree they would only be needed in exceptional circumstances.

Weird prop!

Chris-Shoupe-sharrow-boattest1.jpg.1f5daec382785a4387a727c1b1d2bd7c.jpg

The design includes using 17″ custom Sharrow Marine propellers.. These props will generate another 17-20% fuel savings over conventional models and give us more low end, mid-range and top end speeds, as well as less cavitation and vibration.

https://www.sharrowmarine.com/

Converted from sailing....?    That's big $ to take a valuable boat and make that change.... How does one get a return on investment ......?

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Converted from sailing....?    That's big $ to take a valuable boat and make that change.... How does one get a return on investment ......?

There were a half dozen unfinished 55's in NC when the Gunboat bankruptcy happened. They've all been finished as sailboats with the exception of this last one. 

• Like 1

There are a number of wave piercing outboard powered catamarans that operate in the area, seemingly without too many issues - might be an issue on the delivery south, but once in the VI the sea state is pretty mild, especially for a 64' hull - there's plenty of wind but not a lot of fetch.

Vb 55 #9 STARR is on YW for $1.65m offered.

Surprised about it being fitted with centerboards, but looks pretty high on its lines in the water and not stearn-heavy.

Hadn’t realized they were so narrow - 25’ beam vs say 28’ in A55/57 that is a similar size and configuration. And 2 of those flipped. Could it have contributed to Rainmaker’s crew feeling unsafe and abandoning an apparently intact vessel?

On 10/3/2020 at 8:57 AM, soma said:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2015/gunboat-55-3720751/

I saw that on Yachtworld yesterday. I guess PJ is back in the Guboating business. I’m sure Gunboat/GLY are losing their sh** about this. “It’s not a Gunboat!!”  

PJ back marketing high performance cats......nothing would make me happier.......a rising tide rises all ships so to speak.

"A Gunboat 55 may be one of the all-time great bluewater family cruisers." :D

Soma and I are selling our boats for $100k less, trust me, the ARE the all time great blue water cruisers..........PJ, welcome back, just don't go back into building.....

On 10/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, EarthBM said:

Vb 55 #9 STARR is on YW for $1.65m offered.

Surprised about it being fitted with centerboards, but looks pretty high on its lines in the water and not stearn-heavy.

Starr was intended to be simple, and achieved that.  With simplicity weight reduces.  Shes one of the lightest in the fleet, if not the lightest.  The crossbeam forward certainly helped her trim.   Great boat, wish I had the $$.

Having seen VooDoo, shes going to be a super cool passenger boat.  The team doing here are working hard to create a unique experience. 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, mpenman said:

PJ back marketing high performance cats......nothing would make me happier.......a rising tide rises all ships so to speak.

"A Gunboat 55 may be one of the all-time great bluewater family cruisers." :D

Soma and I are selling our boats for $100k less, trust me, the ARE the all time great blue water cruisers..........PJ, welcome back, just don't go back into building.....

Soma, you're selling your boat???

1 hour ago, Insolent said:

Soma, you're selling your boat???

No...well...yeah, if someone will give me $100k less than the Gunboat 55 @$1.6m! 

Mike IS selling his A57 though. 

Hahaha, yeah nah as they say down these parts! Good to know you're still happy with your choice! ;-)

On 11/4/2020 at 8:08 AM, soma said:

No...well...yeah, if someone will give me $100k less than the Gunboat 55 @$1.6m! 

Mike IS selling his A57 though. 

:D57 may go up for sale. Doing some sargassum research down your ways in February. 72 is coming along very well, looking great. I was gonna start a thread but I've got too many dang kiddos.

How you been?

We're most probably gonna run south on Saturday. I don't like NE in the last days of falls.