SVArcturus

Inflatable PFD for women?

I saw the recent thread on most comfortable inflatable PFDs, but the responders were all men.  My wife has been trying to find one that will work well for her, or at least better than what she's been using.

I've bought her a couple of others, but they weren't comfortable.

The conundrum seems to be the conflict between neck chafing and boob annoyance.  Ones that work with her frontal torso cause neck chafe.  A wider neck solves the chafe but moves things wider all the way down, causing a more hootery-type of discomfort.

Any suggestions for better candidates?

I think I've been quite delicate--but clear--in my phrasing, thank you.  And yes, while that is not necessarily required in this forum, she might end up reading it and I value her undying love and adoration.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Kayak vest.....

3 minutes ago, SVArcturus said:

I saw the recent thread on most comfortable inflatable PFDs, but the responders were all men.  My wife has been trying to find one that will work well for her, or at least better than what she's been using.

The conundrum seems to be the conflict between neck chafing and boob annoyance.  Ones that work with her frontal torso cause neck chafe.  A wider neck solves the chafe but moves things wider all the way down, causing a more hootery-type of discomfort.

I think I've been quite delicate--but clear--in my phrasing, thank you.  And yes, while that is not necessarily required in this forum, she might end up reading it and I value her undying love and adoration.  :rolleyes:

Not to come across as crass, and I'm the wrong gender to offer any first-hand advice, but I would think that the people qualified to answer to this question will need more specifics about your wife's particular morphology.

Boy, that was uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Not inflatable, but my wife likes this vest...

image.thumb.png.56a67d475d7f4cd163959bba32c83fdc.png

2 minutes ago, gbkersey said:

Not inflatable, but my wife likes this vest...

Sorry, I should have included that we live in Florida and sail south from here mostly.

Appreciate the input, but that one is way too hot for use most of the time here.  We had 'regular' pfds "back in the day" before good inflatables, which is why we aren't looking for a repeat!

17 minutes ago, IStream said:

Not to come across as crass, and I'm the wrong gender to offer any first-hand advice, but I would think that the people qualified to answer to this question will need more specifics about your wife's particular morphology.

Ummmm.  "Medium".   

I gather the issue isn't really "clearance", but lateral location of the vertical part of the flotation vest.  It was fine when they basically went more or less down the middle, but...neck chafe.  Moving the vest outboard becomes problematic.  I guess she basically wants a larger diameter neck  without the front of the vest getting wider.

My compliments on your lack of crassiosity.  I, myself, have managed to not make even one comment on the various aspects of what constitute flotation in this discussion. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Kayak vest.....

Ah yes.  She actually has one (for kayaking).  Not a good substitute, however, for the offshore pfd with built-in harness we seek.  

My apologies for not providing all the pertinent information up front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IStream said:

you mean, you want to see pics.

But joking aside. Interesting question.

A number of the women i race with use the Spinlock deckvest. Very different shape than most of the inflatables. I have the deckvest light and like it. Cannot truly comment on the issue though. 

4 hours ago, shaggy said:

Sailing Buoyancy aid..  No harness, but might work..  I coached through college..  Never had a cg approved PFD on me, (Had many in boat) So YMMV...  

https://www.apsltd.com/aps-advisor/buoyancy-aids-guide/

Given our planned South Pacific crossing, I think my wife might object to a few of the points mentioned at the link you provided:

"Not recommended for:

• Long duration in the water
  • Rough sea conditions
  • Replacement for a USCG approved life jacket

They are not designed to turn a person the right way up, so they cannot support an unconscious person in the water properly."

Locus and Steele,  thanks for the info.  Passing it along to the executive-decision maker.

I think there is no substitute for trying on a few and seeing which works. Might see what the women in the last Volvo RTW race were wearing.

Frankly we only wore ours at night when going out on deck. During the day someone would be awake (crew of 3) so I'd say to the kid "I'm going to the foredeck. Keep an eye on me and stop reading. If I'm not back in 5 minutes turn the boat around". Having a cat did make one a bit more blase about boat movement. I never once felt like "oh shit that was close, nearly went over"

On our 30' monohull there were at least 2 or 3 times that were "oh shit" moments.

12 hours ago, SVArcturus said:

Given our planned South Pacific crossing, I think my wife might object to a few of the points mentioned at the link you provided:

"Not recommended for:

• Long duration in the water
  • Rough sea conditions
  • Replacement for a USCG approved life jacket

They are not designed to turn a person the right way up, so they cannot support an unconscious person in the water properly."

Nope, just an alternative...

Ladies I've sailed with have been happy with their Crewsaver Ergofits. Especially those that have big breasts.

A nice plus is they push the breasts together slightly which is nice to look at.

There is a lightweight Spinlock with a harness.  Not sure of the name.  Wife has a Crewsaver and hates it!  She is short, so hers is shorter than mine but wider.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:56 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

Wouldn’t pax in a sponsored race wear the gear thus sponsored

Not totally from what I've seen. Maybe in the round the buoys races but I recall some VO crews not liking the sponsored foulies and wearing their own stuff.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:50 AM, Zonker said:

Frankly we only wore ours at night when going out on deck. During the day someone would be awake (crew of 3) so I'd say to the kid "I'm going to the foredeck. Keep an eye on me and stop reading. If I'm not back in 5 minutes turn the boat around". Having a cat did make one a bit more blase about boat movement. I never once felt like "oh shit that was close, nearly went over"

On our 30' monohull there were at least 2 or 3 times that were "oh shit" moments.

We wear them always at night on passages (but there's only two of us) and during the day if the other is below.  Since they were pretty comfortable (except for the neck chafing sometimes) it was generally easier on passages to just wear them when on deck.  Avoids all that thinking, ya know.

Boy, this place has gone downhill. Everyone is so polite!  ;)

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, SVArcturus said:

I have a rescue swimmers inflatable onboard 

all boats should have a Pfd that you can swim with 

Girls find it more  comfortable 

be aware that the safety tether attaches   to the rear of the vest 

google rescue swimmer , swift water inflatable p f d  to investigate 

65D96131-1296-4D0B-A84F-DCEF8D908F87.jpeg

EA9315D2-5F4D-4016-A6F5-E20998E2AC4C.jpeg