Sign in to follow this  
ROADKILL666

BMW 5-Series wagon

Anyone out there. have any info on the best years for the BMW 5-Series wagon.Strengths and weakness.

I had a 3-Series wagon.

First thing - *ANY BMW* at all that is not under warranty has the potential to be a huge money-sucking nightmare of mechanical despair. Shit that does not break on normal cars will break on your BMW and be expensive to fix.

That said, some models and years are much worse than others and some are much easier to DIY repair than others. Without a year or budget range I don't know if anyone can be specific, are we talking new car or $5,000 car? Absent a budget the best one is a new one with an extended warranty ;) Ones to avoid are old V8 versions, they consume both gas and maintenance at a higher rate than the 6 cylinder cars. Manuals are preferred, at least in the older cars random early death of the auto tranny is a thing and it isn't cheap to get another one. Manual wagons are sadly very rare.

How good at fixing cars are you? When a coil pack dies and your car goes into limp-home mode, are you going to stick your scan tool on it, grab new coil packs from Ebay for $300, and swap them or drop it off at the dealer for a $2000 raping?

'98 to '03 528 is the most reliable of all of them, and you can get it with a manual.  The V8 will kill you with maintenance and repairs.  Or be smart and get a sexy wagon that you won't have to repair: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Wagon/Acura/TSX

Or just get a V70, they are cake to fix.  I bought one for 3k and a parts car for $600 and have been very happy with them.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I had a 3-Series wagon.

First thing - *ANY BMW* at all that is not under warranty has the potential to be a huge money-sucking nightmare of mechanical despair. Shit that does not break on normal cars will break on your BMW and be expensive to fix.

That said, some models and years are much worse than others and some are much easier to DIY repair than others. Without a year or budget range I don't know if anyone can be specific, are we talking new car or $5,000 car? Absent a budget the best one is a new one with an extended warranty ;) Ones to avoid are old V8 versions, they consume both gas and maintenance at a higher rate than the 6 cylinder cars. Manuals are preferred, at least in the older cars random early death of the auto tranny is a thing and it isn't cheap to get another one. Manual wagons are sadly very rare.

How good at fixing cars are you? When a coil pack dies and your car goes into limp-home mode, are you going to stick your scan tool on it, grab new coil packs from Ebay for $300, and swap them or drop it off at the dealer for a $2000 raping?

IT's less about coil packs and more about a pre-cat O2 sensor that cracks into pieces and you have to pull half the car to get to it

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

IT's less about coil packs and more about a pre-cat O2 sensor that cracks into pieces and you have to pull half the car to get to it

That never happened to mine. My $50 scanner would not tell me which coil packs were bad, so I bought all 6. Then I took the old ones off and two of them were burned and blistered - hmm - could it be these??? :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

'98 to '03 528 is the most reliable of all of them, and you can get it with a manual.  The V8 will kill you with maintenance and repairs.  Or be smart and get a sexy wagon that you won't have to repair: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Wagon/Acura/TSX

Or just get a V70, they are cake to fix.  I bought one for 3k and a parts car for $600 and have been very happy with them.  

I had a 00 3 Series wagon. At about 250,000 miles the tranny died and I sold it for parts.

I now have a 2005 V70 I got from the proverbial old lady who kept it in a garage and only drove it 50,000 miles. It is an easy car to work on and hauls all my stuff :)

I might have bought an Acura wagon, but they are hard to find and not near as roomy as a V70 or a 5 series. Or you can look for a deal on a Buick Regal Tour-X, which is actually an Opel wagon from Germany with AWD and a turbo. They are selling in the 20s brand new.

10 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I had a 00 3 Series wagon. At about 250,000 miles the tranny died and I sold it for parts.

I now have a 2005 V70 I got from the proverbial old lady who kept it in a garage and only drove it 50,000 miles. It is an easy car to work on and hauls all my stuff :)

I might have bought an Acura wagon, but they are hard to find and not near as roomy as a V70 or a 5 series. Or you can look for a deal on a Buick Regal Tour-X, which is actually an Opel wagon from Germany with AWD and a turbo. They are selling in the 20s brand new.

I spy a longroof fan :)

The 2.5T is one of the most reliable engines of the modern era provided the timing belt gets its attention.  I'm looking for a V70R from the era to replace mine.

That Buick is sexy but all the modern interior shit makes it feel very claustrophobic to me.  Acura is small, expensive, and hard to find, but it is an Accord so will last until 300k on oil changes

Since I'm a short MFer, and have picked up paddling, my old bomber Lexus is just too tall. It's low miles at 145k, so only 1/2 way through it's life but tippy toe in a cross breeze with a 21' Outrigger Canoe is no bueno.

Been thinking of a 2010'ish wagon, would like AWD as I like going to the snow, but challenge is the Lexus is a 3 row, and with 2 kids and 3 dogs, we need that space.

Ford Flex?

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Anyone out there. have any info on the best years for the BMW 5-Series wagon.Strengths and weakness.

SWMBO had 2 X5'S and one X6. I know not the same, but as far as BMW goes, one word, LEASE. 

When our Canadian Headquarters was Winnipeg, we had a stretch of chilly. Ya know like -30C. Was having the garage painted and moved the 2017 X6 to the driveway for a few hours. When I went to pull it back in, of course it would not start. Pushed the fancy BMW button for service. Dude says "where are you, are you safe?" said yeah its in the driveway. He says we've got bigger fish to fry. Two days later they come, tow to Birchwood BMW. Yeah cracked block, needs new motor. They did replace it, but it was never the same. Mirrors and seats moved all the time, computer was always doing crazy shit, door locks, windows, crazy. Like poltergeist. 

That said, it was the best automobile I have ever driven. Winnipeg to Swift Current, 8 hours blinding snow storm, no problem. San Diego to Vancouver on the 5 and Vancouver to San Diego on the coastal road. On the coastal road in sport was an experience of a lifetime. The ultimate driving machine. I just would not want to be the bloke that buys that car off lease. 

YMMV.

PS. When we went to turn it in, of course she had to quarantine for two weeks upon her return. I called BMW Vancouver to see if they would send someone to pick it up as she could not go anywhere. We are just a few kilometers a way. They said no. I had to have it towed. Buncha Dicks. Did not even ask would we like to lease a fourth one. Great salesmanship. After it was towed there they said uh, we can't find it. I texted them the tow receipt. I'm not sure they ever did find it. Don't care. We are taking our lease business elsewhere. 

Sorry. End rant.

To be fair you really need to separate pre-'03 and post-'03 bimmers. Those X cars are really awfully built and the maintenance engineering for everything in the turbo era is a fucking joke.  

Have a 2007 525I.  180k, Mostly garage kept, car leased by neighbor and bought by parents at 80K so we know the car. Full maint etc.  Drives like a dream on the highway I basically grew up with it in college.  It is an autobahn Machine, not so great on the wallet.  Stalled a bit when in congested traffic and it got hot.  Welcome to a $5k Fuel pump.....  

28 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Have a 2007 525I.  180k, Mostly garage kept, car leased by neighbor and bought by parents at 80K so we know the car. Full maint etc.  Drives like a dream on the highway I basically grew up with it in college.  It is an autobahn Machine, not so great on the wallet.  Stalled a bit when in congested traffic and it got hot.  Welcome to a $5k Fuel pump.....  

That's the post-'03 problem - service and maintenance engineering designed to keep bmw dealerships in profits

A lot of highschool kids around me seem to like to buy the older BMW's.  (off lease as said above)

Shocking to see them driving mom's mini van often.

Anyone masochistic enough to want to own these older BMW's can have them.  Cheaper to own a horse.

Or a boat...

I kinda-sorta wish they would not leave them littered about the place though.  Unmoving for 6 months at a stretch.  That said, I cannot get too bunched up as I did the same thing at that age.  

Have at it kids... enjoy these times.

• Like 1

Around here - Parent drives a Japanese car. The kid has a barely-running BMW the parents gave him because they got sick of it :rolleyes:

On the good side, there is an incredible online community for them. The E39s and E46s can probably live forever if you care to learn how to fix them. Once past the E46s/E39s you get into increasingly hard to DIY cars. You have issues like not being able to replace the freaking battery yourself and no dipstick :angry:

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Since I'm a short MFer, and have picked up paddling, my old bomber Lexus is just too tall. It's low miles at 145k, so only 1/2 way through it's life but tippy toe in a cross breeze with a 21' Outrigger Canoe is no bueno.

Been thinking of a 2010'ish wagon, would like AWD as I like going to the snow, but challenge is the Lexus is a 3 row, and with 2 kids and 3 dogs, we need that space.

Ford Flex?

We looked at Flexes. I really like the room they have. What turned us off was the short warranty and some of them having horrendously expensive repairs that didn't even always fix anything. What we decided was no-go unless it was still eligible for the FordProtect warranty. These warranties can be shopped online and you can get a better deal from the Ford dealers that compete online than the local dealer selling the car (https://fordprotect.ford.com/)

IMHO they are a no-go without the warranty and the price for the warranty actually isn't that bad. The eligibility window is pretty small though, IIRC the car still had to be under factory warranty to apply. Also note Lincoln had their own version and I think their warranty was longer.

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Yup, I'm a wagon fan. Got a cheap V70 xc only becuse I couldn't find a good subaru. Turns out the volvo is my favorite ever car. When it dies there is currently 90% my new car will be the same.

16 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

We looked at Flexes. I really like the room they have. What turned us off was the short warranty and some of them having horrendously expensive repairs that didn't even always fix anything. What we decided was no-go unless it was still eligible for the FordProtect warranty. These warranties can be shopped online and you can get a better deal from the Ford dealers that compete online than the local dealer selling the car (https://fordprotect.ford.com/)

IMHO they are a no-go without the warranty and the price for the warranty actually isn't that bad. The eligibility window is pretty small though, IIRC the car still had to be under factory warranty to apply. Also note Lincoln had their own version and I think their warranty was longer.

What's the mech issue with the flex?

Clarkson from Top Gear loves the Volvo wagons. More solid, quiet, and smoother ride than a Subaru by quite a distance. A ten year old Volvo in nice condition is still probably nicer than the new Subaru's in those regards though I have my eye out for a 15 y/o or so 2.0T 6spd Audi A4 Avant. I like the smaller for factor but it only really works as a two seater for long trips. My 1995 1.8T 5spd is still going strong with 225K on the clock and is better driving car in all respects than my friends 2018 fully loaded Subaru Outback. The variable transmission on that thing sucks.

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

What's the mech issue with the flex?

It seemed mostly to do with transmissions and turbo issues with the eco-boost engines. There is a big online community for them too. It isn't like BMW where every single car is going to drop the windows down in the door, more like one is trouble-free and one is on the third tranny.

Ok I think I am going to look at the Volvo v70. It checks all the boxes and they made a awd xc.

55 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That's the post-'03 problem - service and maintenance engineering designed to keep bmw dealerships in profits

Oh, I had brought it in for a recall.  OMG they pulled out all the stops on this 50YO with good credit..  I think I must have had my fico score tattooed on my forehead.  Every single female sales person was really really really nice to me..  BMW took the cust service to a new level.  Bang for the buck errrrrruuuuuuuummmmmeh.  I hedging because I have not ponied up the $$ to fix the damn thing as of yet...   Used as a Grocery getter at this point...  

Just now, ROADKILL666 said:

Ok I think I am going to look at the Volvo v70. It checks all the boxes and they made a awd xc.

The AWD is Haldex, so it is not anything like an offroad vehicle. More like "climbs hills in snow better" ;)

Volvo seats were wonderful. Our ‘99 Cross Country had better seats than the SAAB 9000 Aero which were fantastic.

20 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The AWD is Haldex, so it is not anything like an offroad vehicle. More like "climbs hills in snow better" ;)

Correct, and the CVs are a weak point.  Front is very easy to change, rear not so much.  V70 FWD is not much worse in snow than V70XC.  I had a XC with 3WD for a while.

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Correct, and the CVs are a weak point.  Front is very easy to change, rear not so much.  V70 FWD is not much worse in snow than V70XC

Do not - not - repeat not get a 2000 XC. My mother had one and it had endless expensive issues. I was biatching at a Volvo rep I found when the VOR boats were here and he admitted the 2000 had a lot of issues that were solved later on.

one other consideration..   2011-2014  jetta sportwagen      can get a scandal diesel too..   i had the 2.5L inline 5 ..  loved that car  till some shithead pull a left turn in a pathfinder in front of me while i was doing 50..   engine bay was toast, not a scratch on me..  also could fit my 10' main in it too..

usc40vwc271c021001.png

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

It seemed mostly to do with transmissions and turbo issues with the eco-boost engines. There is a big online community for them too. It isn't like BMW where every single car is going to drop the windows down in the door, more like one is trouble-free and one is on the third tranny.

QC always an issue with Fords.  you'd think they could make those big ass bread boxes easy to fix given all the space.  at least parts are cheap

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Do not - not - repeat not get a 2000 XC. My mother had one and it had endless expensive issues. I was biatching at a Volvo rep I found when the VOR boats were here and he admitted the 2000 had a lot of issues that were solved later on.

Any V70 from 2001 until the end of the 5-banger is a good bet.  Just expect all the trim pieces and seats to be brittle and fucked.   Seems the Swedes can do wonders with the mechanicals of a car but they apparently do not have enough UV light up there to properly test leather and plastic so they can use something that doesn't turn to dust after 15 years in the sun.  Also fascinating that my 2010 Ram, parked in the same conditions as the Volvo, is eating itself from the inside thanks to snow and salt and michigan but the early oughts volvo doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere on the underbody.  It's like Dodge used old cans of soup for steel parts

one of these with under 100k on it would be a good daily and road tripper.  do timing belt, change fluids, and relax for another 100k...

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.43.41 PM.png

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Any V70 from 2001 until the end of the 5-banger is a good bet.  Just expect all the trim pieces and seats to be brittle and fucked.   Seems the Swedes can do wonders with the mechanicals of a car but they apparently do not have enough UV light up there to properly test leather and plastic so they can use something that doesn't turn to dust after 15 years in the sun.  Also fascinating that my 2010 Ram, parked in the same conditions as the Volvo, is eating itself from the inside thanks to snow and salt and michigan but the early oughts volvo doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere on the underbody.  It's like Dodge used old cans of soup for steel parts

Once you get into the 6 cylinder cars they became Ford-ified and not as reliable. My 05 is either the last or next-to-last pure Volvo. Speaking of, I once had a 740 Turbo that had a trailer hitch that could pull a dollar bill out of a Scotsman's wallet.

lol

we rolled a 740 on the alaska highway, pushed it back over, put the shit back in the car that spilled out the window when it flipped, and kept going

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

lol

we rolled a 740 on the alaska highway, pushed it back over, put the shit back in the car that spilled out the window when it flipped, and kept going

35186994.png&f=1&nofb=1

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

one of these with under 100k on it would be a good daily and road tripper.  do timing belt, change fluids, and relax for another 100k...

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.43.41 PM.png

GF had to put in a new transmission at 75k on hers, shitty CVT automatic.

8 minutes ago, See Level said:

GF had to put in a new transmission at 75k on hers, shitty CVT automatic.

As far as I know the CVT was not offered on the 2.5, the last year of which was i think 2006.  Fuck all CVTs

I have a lead on a 1998 V70 with the 5 cyl. engine, and AWD. One person tells me "run away!" the other says it's the best car he ever had....

What's the op here?

They have good reps but I don't have personal experience with the '98.  Good thing is that there were so many made that the issues are known and a good inspection by a mechanic should be able to tell you if it is worth it.  Issues I've dealt with over a decade of owning V70s and XCs: Engine cooling fan, coilpacks, AC compressor (needs to be shimmed after X time period), Detached blend door for climate system, CV axles front and rear.  Lots of plastic shit breaks.  Lots of decent seats at the junkyard, most have a section for volvo wagons

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

They have good reps but I don't have personal experience with the '98.  Good thing is that there were so many made that the issues are known and a good inspection by a mechanic should be able to tell you if it is worth it.  Issues I've dealt with over a decade of owning V70s and XCs: Engine cooling fan, coilpacks, AC compressor (needs to be shimmed after X time period), Detached blend door for climate system, CV axles front and rear.  Lots of plastic shit breaks.  Lots of decent seats at the junkyard, most have a section for volvo wagons

Not a good sign.

I know that they, and Subarus are the pack mules in the north, but down here.... I know nothing. Seems like batteries and tires go bad faster than teen romances.

11 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Not a good sign.

I know that they, and Subarus are the pack mules in the north, but down here.... I know nothing. Seems like batteries and tires go bad faster than teen romances.

Just a function of how many of the fucking things they sold, same with civics and explorers.  but yeah the sunlight is an issue for interior bits

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

one other consideration..   2011-2014  jetta sportwagen      can get a scandal diesel too..   i had the 2.5L inline 5 ..  loved that car  till some shithead pull a left turn in a pathfinder in front of me while i was doing 50..   engine bay was toast, not a scratch on me..  also could fit my 10' main in it too..

usc40vwc271c021001.png

That's my San Diego ride. 09 5 cylinder, 5 speed. Drives like a far more expensive car.

18 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

usc40vwc271c021001.png

Not enough room for a 6’5” frame

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Not enough room for a 6’5” frame

If that's the case, it's hard to beat a 2010-present Outback. I'm 6'1" and my 6'5" son still fits in the back seat. The front seat has Shaquille O'Neil legroom. 

14 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

A 1998 car has had ample opportunity to be upgraded and fixed by a loving owner or totally destroyed by a succession of teenage kids using it as their first car. It almost doesn't matter how good it was new, 22 years later it is how the previous owners made it.

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, that bimmer is not a wagon... THIS is a wagon...

image.jpeg.b40f4f26698c092c94b45efc8154896f.jpeg

Towed a fuckton of boats with big keels behind one of these bitches all around the east coast. 

like driving around in the lobby of a Hilton. Well.. maybe a Holiday Inn Express. 

11 minutes ago, IStream said:

The "wood" paneling adds 2000 lbs to the towing capacity.

at least

56 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, that bimmer is not a wagon... THIS is a wagon...

image.jpeg.b40f4f26698c092c94b45efc8154896f.jpeg

Towed a fuckton of boats with big keels behind one of these bitches all around the east coast. 

like driving around in the lobby of a Hilton. Well.. maybe a Holiday Inn Express. 

I would love to have one,but can’t find one that is not a pos 

I have an 11'  3 series.  When working perfectly it is excellent, like most beamers it drives extremely well.  As mentioned, the problem comes and comes often when you have maintenance and repairs to handle.  Everything is twice as expensive, twice as difficult and happens twice as often.  This is actually BMW 's corporate philosphy.  They rape you (no lube) violently, repeatedly and without apology. 

• Like 1

they're out there ... find one from the SW that aint a rust bucket and you can just keep pluggin LS motors into it until you die.. for less than you'd spend on a german ride.. even a Suburban ...

I really don't get the Euro and Asian wagons.. they're too fucking small to work as real wagon here.. if yer just running the rugrats to school, fine, if ya wanna drop that much coin to look sophisticated while you drive thru a parking lot, great, but if ya really need to move a boat or a piece of furniture, they're useless as tits on a boar hog. 

The foreign cars are great, drive better than ours, but trucks and wagons? nahhh

29 minutes ago, mundt said:

I have an 11'  3 series.  When working perfectly it is excellent, like most beamers it drives extremely well.  As mentioned, the problem comes and comes often when you have maintenance and repairs to handle.  Everything is twice as expensive, twice as difficult and happens twice as often.  This is actually BMW 's corporate philosphy.  They rape you (no lube) violently, repeatedly and without apology. 

Gotta agree w/this. I also had a 3 series sportwagon. It was so fun to drive. Handling/Acceleration/Braking/Cargo Room, all amazing.

Makes today's crossover SUVs laughable. The issue was maintenance and repairs. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It also went thru tires and brakes about 3 times faster than other cars. I'd like another but can't stomach the cost associated with owning this car. I'd probably lease next time around but trouble is the NA offering is nil at the moment.

Interestingly enough due to my 2012 Touareg being no where near as versatile as a mini-van I started looking for a powerful and sporty minivan. I found that in 2017 Toyota upgraded the drive train and suspension in their Sienna to make it more like a Touareg in driveability. So it has around 300HP and has essentially the same 8spd auto that's in the Touareg which is a killer transmission. They put a new engineer on the project who is an autocross fanatic so it has 18 inch wheels and is supposed to handle very well. I am tracking the top of the line units used and when they get down below 25K I will likely switch out the Touareg for one. Its is gas hog but then so is the Touareg.

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

they're out there ... find one from the SW that aint a rust bucket and you can just keep pluggin LS motors into it until you die.. for less than you'd spend on a german ride.. even a Suburban ...

I really don't get the Euro and Asian wagons.. they're too fucking small to work as real wagon here.. if yer just running the rugrats to school, fine, if ya wanna drop that much coin to look sophisticated while you drive thru a parking lot, great, but if ya really need to move a boat or a piece of furniture, they're useless as tits on a boar hog. 

The foreign cars are great, drive better than ours, but trucks and wagons? nahhh

Euro and Asian wagons fit in Euro and Asian cities ;)

The BMW 5 Series wagon isn't small at all and neither are some Mercedes wagons nor Volvo wagons. The 3 Series wagon straddles the big hatchback/small wagon line. No EU or Asian car maker has the equivalent of a Roadmaster behemoth, but then again no American company does either anymore.

I really think this Opel is nice looking in person:

2018-buick-regal_100598430_l.jpg

18 hours ago, no shoes said:

That's my San Diego ride. 09 5 cylinder, 5 speed. Drives like a far more expensive car.

i miss mine...   it was fun to drive and the 5 cyl was more than enough..

A guy in town here has TWO roadmasters, one white with woodgrain (my favorite) and another in a whatever-blue.   He's hogging the roadhogs!

That opel/buick wagon is really good.  Those black plastic wheel arches are very unflattering in some body colors, that's really the only gripe I could come up with.   If I hadn't made the deal on my V90 I probably would have gone with the buick.

1 hour ago, Figment said:

A guy in town here has TWO roadmasters, one white with woodgrain (my favorite) and another in a whatever-blue.   He's hogging the roadhogs!

That opel/buick wagon is really good.  Those black plastic wheel arches are very unflattering in some body colors, that's really the only gripe I could come up with.   If I hadn't made the deal on my V90 I probably would have gone with the buick.

Here you go - much better :)

c478b37a3cddb1489f6a13663bdc1933.jpg

29 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

1987 300TD wagon. I’ll be buried in mine, unless Madame dies first, she’ll want it for herself

562E0015-F085-428E-B146-F11186FC7F5F.jpeg

pretty indestructible, ain't it?

• Like 1

Our '04 BMW X3, 3.0, 6 speed manual has 210,000 miles, and the subject of timing belts/chains came up.  I guess we need to have the chain tensioner checked to make sure the chain hasn't stretched out too far.  Changing it and fixing the AC will possibly cost more than the car is worth.  Labor alone for the AC part behind the firewall and glove compartment is about a grand, and timing chain is similar 10-12 hours of labor.  Thinking I should trade into something less long in the tooth, but Missus BB loves it, and doesn't care about no AC, and drives very few miles a year.   It's a timeless body style that hasn't changed much, so non car people are surprised that is 16 years old.  I think an off lease Subaru, or other small SUV with AWD might be a wise move, but she is dead set against it....  

Any thoughts from experienced Beamer owners appreciated...

Cheers, BB.. (NOT Bravo Bravo)

We bought a 2008 Acura RDX last year and it's been a great vehicle. Handles well, very comfortable, and lots of Honda parts to fit. It is a bit of a gas hog. Lotsa cargo room with the back seat down. I like the look of a wagon, but having the extra road clearance and interior height is really nice.

31 minutes ago, Trovão said:

+jumpseats ftw

26 minutes ago, Trovão said:

had an 85..best car ever but it was not indestructible, hit a dear and they totaled it.  the seats folded down flat with about 1/8 gaps, hydraulic shocks...you could pump a lot of crap into that thing!

58 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Here you go - much better :)

c478b37a3cddb1489f6a13663bdc1933.jpg

i like it a lot!  unfortunately NOT in .ca as of now.

That Buick AWD wagon is a hell of a deal. Fully optioned up, it's ~$36K and they're offering nearly $6K off. That's a lot of car for $30 grand.

Here's a review from 2018.

38 minutes ago, chester said:

i like it a lot!  unfortunately NOT in .ca as of now.

It’s about ten minutes drive from my house!  I’ll go look at it for ya.  

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Our '04 BMW X3, 3.0, 6 speed manual has 210,000 miles, and the subject of timing belts/chains came up.  I guess we need to have the chain tensioner checked to make sure the chain hasn't stretched out too far.  Changing it and fixing the AC will possibly cost more than the car is worth.  Labor alone for the AC part behind the firewall and glove compartment is about a grand, and timing chain is similar 10-12 hours of labor.  Thinking I should trade into something less long in the tooth, but Missus BB loves it, and doesn't care about no AC, and drives very few miles a year.   It's a timeless body style that hasn't changed much, so non car people are surprised that is 16 years old.  I think an off lease Subaru, or other small SUV with AWD might be a wise move, but she is dead set against it....  

My E46 wagon made it well over 200,000 miles with no chain replacements or anything else internal. I am pretty sure the engine is about the same. Just drive it until it won't drive and then replace it. My wagon left on a flatbed and I got $1800 for a non-driving car :)

love the MB 300 TD wagons.. my mechanic down here So MD would give me one as a loaner when I'd take the SL into the shop. there were times I didn't wanna trade back. 

but all seriousness aside, the thing to do would be to take one of these and drop the body on an F350 diesel  chassis and drivetrain...

6" lift kit and some 35s.. mischief managed

or set it up as a dually!! schweet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chester said:

had an 85..best car ever but it was not indestructible, hit a dear and they totaled it.  the seats folded down flat with about 1/8 gaps, hydraulic shocks...you could pump a lot of crap into that thing!

i meant with regular use, no crashing into wild creatures... 

31 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

love the MB 300 TD wagons.. my mechanic down here So MD would give me one as a loaner when I'd take the SL into the shop. there were times I didn't wanna trade back. 

the bummer of this car in the states was it could not be purchased with a 5spd

you could put a 300 TD engine in a 4spd 240D but I never heard of the transmission swap the other way

I did put a 320iBMW 5spd in my 1973 2002 but there were good shops in the Bay Area who would do that and its wasn't hard.

some of the more modern MB wagons are really nice looking and look larger than about anything else and they can have AWD, never been in one

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

but all seriousness aside, the thing to do would be to take one of these and drop the body on an F350 diesel  chassis and drivetrain...

6" lift kit and some 35s.. mischief managed

or set it up as a dually!! schweet!

I was thinking about a lsx swap And six speed manual 

On 9/23/2020 at 3:34 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

best is the 2015 with the Cologne Ford 3.0 turbocharged  straight six.  Not the 2015.5 when they went back to the 5 banger.

312 hp and 320 ft lbs of torque.  wipes the floor of the 5 banger (had owned and hopped up those along with the 2.0 four bangers). You best have it aimed when your foot is into it as at 3 grand it gets busy.

Neat design on the 3.2 and 3.0 is they have a jackshaft where they bolt the alternator and waterpump mid motor in front of one another via a toothed hose section so the overall motor length is the same as a 5 banger since there are no accessories running off the crankshaft.  That way it fits between the front wheel towers when mounted transversely. Also no interference timing belt to worry about.

Only down side is you get crap FORD brakes where the chiseler engineers went part bin shopping.  Fucking crap Taurus brakes.  YUCK!

New 90 are back to a 4 banger with 2/3rds the power and damn little hip and shoulder room due to bank vault doors. And viability is limited with the gun slot windows compared to the 70s.  Too bad as it is a nice looking wagon.

Use Lexol on the leather and it lasts forever.The early model switch gear surfaces is known to turn to a sticky goo in sun. Same shit on MBs.  Cleans up nice with a soft cloth and Simple green full strength.

None had a CVT transmission.  the early models used a GM tranny.  When Ford bought them, they moved to Aisins (eg Toyotas).

Change the atf every 80K and they hit 300K miles without a hitch.

AWD systems are Haldex (division of Borg Warner).  Same system as the Audi Quattro and MB 4matic.  the newer the model, the new Haldex (there are 8 versions last time I checked).  the newer the better the engineering to make it engage transparently.

26 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

A53A09E5-9DDA-4F4F-BAF8-A047EBB6BC0E.thumb.jpeg.1e2e0ac45a50cb8c85bb9dd0713a44d3.jpeg

As a teenager, my best friend's dad had a buick version of one of these Vista Cruisers.

He bought it used from old man Smiley of Smiley Buick/Cadillac in Boston.

Being a dealer he had a GS455 race motor installed in it as a "sleeper".

Got to drive it one time.  Punch it and the rear tires would just light up until you let off.

Any speed.  Just punch it.  The engine roared and the tires would smoke on that overweight, ill handling wagon with bias tires.

Highly impressive to a 16 yo with a brand new license. ..

I miss my baby. I had a 2012 5th Gen LGT that I made some modest modification to, such as...

• Borg Warner EFR7163 turbo with V-band 0.85 A/R housing
  • Custom stainless 4-1 EL header with v-bands, wrapped
  • Custom FMIC kit built around OEM BMW 335i core
  • STi exhaust cams
  • STi valve springs
  • Manley TurboTuff pistons
  • ACL rod and main bearings, fitted at larger than stock clearances
  • ARP 260-4701 head studs
  • NGK one-step colder spark plugs
  • Alloy radiator
  • Hardrace engine mounts
  • Custom stainless 4-1 EL header with v-bands, wrapped
  • Borg Warner EFR7163 turbo with V-band 0.85 A/R housing
  • Turbosmart 45 external wastegate (nothing physically larger could be fitted)
  • Custom FMIC kit built around OEM BMW 335i core
  • Blitz 'carbon suction kit' intake
  • Custom SS exhaust with V-band connection, 200-cell cat: 70mm through to one straight-thru 76mm can via a cutout and one 63mm turbo-style can open at all times
  • Exhaust cutout operated by vacuum supplied from brake booster and controlled electrically via Hobbes switch set at 4psi boost.
  • Omni Power 3bar MAP sensor MAP-SUP-3BR
  • Pierburg 3-port BCS (VAG OEM part)
  • DW300 fuel pump
  • DW750 Bosch EV14 fuel injectors 
  • Snow Performance methanol injection kit; control solenoid valve trigged by intake manifold pressure from (set at 11psi) and #5 nozzle, with fail-safe
  • Front 356mm floating slotted 2 piece, 6-pot CB6P PB claps with Project Mu HC-CS pads
  • Rear 330mm 4-pot floating slotted 2 piece CM4P PB claps with Project Mu HC-CS pads
  • Hardrace LCA bushings 
  • Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar / 26mm front sway bars 
  • Kartboy end-links
  • poly bushings for rear diff
  • Koni 8610 1447 Sport Front 8010 1055 Sport Rear
  • RCE Black springs

Ended up with 400 on dyno, 350ftlb torque (limited to keep the tranny from spontaneously disassembling itself ). That meant 10.1 seconds 100-200kph with roof-rack. I don't know what the zero to 100 time was - something around 4.0-4.5sec - not too great.  The torque restriction meant that bottom end was just ok, but it held 350ft/lbs to redline in all gears, and with the front mount and the MW50 injection meant that as other cars pulled timing and got slower, we got faster (relatively).  The 63mm turbo style exhaust kept it very quiet until the 76mm leg opened - but it did have a nice low frequency rumble. Waste gate was internal so that was quiet too...The intake did make a bit of a shriek when spooling up at WOT. Very mild off boost. Your gran could drive it to get the milk if she kept her boot out of it. 

ACtC-3dHrVeOyGzGIRJRdO_bHSLhoyK_q1uCQmGt

Looked pretty stock...

ACtC-3cTnJEeOABUymZ3IO6TRt6m2himCgYSFb6I

ACtC-3enjWC3-qaiGa4m7erR1Qk6gQZxvNDnZIow

Until you looked underneath

ACtC-3d2CR4OgNi5fag_6U7AdTTeod6SKHOrQvJH

Sorry for the drift....I love wagons. I wish there were still good wagons in the US. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Had an ‘04 325 from new. Absolutely loved it ,except.

Elect. window winders kept on breaking , coolant overflow tank split , rocker cover gasket leaked, airbag warning light kept on coming on THEN AC leaked.
All under 50.000 miles.

Cost to fix AC . BMW quoted over  Aust. $3000  ,Independent AC specialist $2700.

Seems the dash has to come out.  

Traded on  Merc. Not as great driving experience but just keeps on going.

You could always buy a VW Alltrack.

Swap in Golf R variant suspension components.

Swap in a IS38 turbo and a new downpipe.

Flash the ECU with a stage 2 tune.

You've got essentially a Golf R wagon with 300+ HP.

And it can be a manual.

The only thing less reliable than a VW is a modified VW. Twice bitten. Never again. 

I've had a better experience with Chrysler products, which a pretty damned low bar.

17 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

how do you like the V90?  2020?

mine is a '19 (volvo ocean race edition, natch) and it is an OUTSTANDING vehicle in all respects.   Fans of the old V70 will take issue with a few of the design changes, and I get that, but if you're just comparing it car-for-car with others in its class it's outstanding.   It's comfy as hell when wife is along for the ride and it's a rocket when she's not.

My boss drives a bmw 5-series, and he looked askance at me after a drive in the V90 because my ride is better than his.

The only x-factor is the longevity of that turbo+supercharged engine.   On one hand I could easily see myself sticking with this thing for several years to come (it's a leased company car and I'm already twisting arms to buy-out the lease at the end in lieu of bonus) but then I dunno about cost of ownership past year 5.

cheers fig.  I'll likely grab one with a good motor and fucked suspension in 5 years or so. Drive it for a bit and then give it to the kid when she turns 17.  Can't really think of a better car for a kid, don't expect to have time to do first choice, a resto project with her...

13 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

the bummer of this car in the states was it could not be purchased with a 5spd

you could put a 300 TD engine in a 4spd 240D but I never heard of the transmission swap the other way

I did put a 320iBMW 5spd in my 1973 2002 but there were good shops in the Bay Area who would do that and its wasn't hard.

some of the more modern MB wagons are really nice looking and look larger than about anything else and they can have AWD, never been in one

Gorgeous, and a fortune, but neither bulletproof nor reliable in any real sense of the word.  This probably my dream wagon, but i'm not that much of a masochist

1c2f9e61f7ab3992feac7e7d4065891b.jpg

Yeah I'd opt for the less charged version for a used car, then again by age 17 she might already be doing track days in a miata or something so ya never know.  Did yhou drive the hybrid version?

53 minutes ago, IStream said:

The only thing less reliable than a VW is a modified VW. Twice bitten. Never again. 

I've had a better experience with Chrysler products, which a pretty damned low bar.

That's why they call vw/audi/porsche the VAG.  It's wonderful and beautiful and warm and oozes taste but getting deep into it will break a man.

The Deutschmechanik had very negative things to say about recent Porsche, as in, company sold b/forth and bean counters sourcing parts... shit like Toyota engine bits. Can’t recall the year break, but the year before has a 60k resale, year after more like 20k