Sign in to follow this  
Roller Skates

RC/Coach Hearing Protection?

Find myself, after 17 years of coaching, thinking that constant whistles to the ear won't continue to be a good idea.
That said, earplugs have limited use coming in and out constantly to be able to communicate with sailors or radio.

Has anyone tried any of the "active" protection for shooting, in a marine environment?

Sound-deadening earmuffs work well for my tractor.  They'd be easier to put on & take off than earplugs. People might also be able to see when you had them on and therefore know not to expect you to hear them.  

https://www.fullsource.com/dewalt-dpg62-c/?gac=1550001466609&shop=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5Kv7BRBSEiwAXGDElWskC5GnQa6bRWNaGyMviiNJxouC9HuOA9LQlO1PCdZIHRgqgLzI9BoCslEQAvD_BwE

I’d be concerned about not having full hearing out on the water. Granted not the same as driving with hearing protection but similar 

Consider using visual signals instead of whistles. Kids need to be observant. Afterall, at a start, it is the visuals that matter.

(Except at our club, where if the RC screws up a flag, no matter, their timing is based on a horn, argh..)

A good set of noise canceling shooting muffs would work. Go to a store or an indoor shooting, range carry your whistle, and try them out. Long term hearing damage can creep up on you. Might consider a hearing test to see where you are now.

4 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

A good set of noise canceling shooting muffs would work. Go to a store or an indoor shooting, range carry your whistle, and try them out. Long term hearing damage can creep up on you. Might consider a hearing test to see where you are now.

Not sure I want to know how bad its gotten... :ph34r:
Noticed myself missing more this year. Not sure if it's the masks or something else, but figured I needed to get on it.

Borrowing a pair of my buddies Howard Leight Impact Sports today. Updates later!

13 hours ago, mgs said:

I’d be concerned about not having full hearing out on the water. Granted not the same as driving with hearing protection but similar 

Sorta the idea with the Active protection. Take out the top end. Passive or all level blocking makes me worried.

I've used Howard Leight Impact Sport's when operating heavy equipment, they cancel out the noise of impacts well yet you can have a conversation with someone right next to you with no problems: https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/collections/electronic-earmuffs/products/impact-sport-sound-amplification-electronic-shooting-earmuff-classic-green I don't know how well they would handle the marine environment but for $54 the are one of the most inexpensive ones. 

I use the foam plugs almost half the year at work. I would get the ones with the cord and give them a try for a bit.  You can still hear plenty and you adjust and tune yourself after using for a while.  It may be they are fine.