Bristol-Cruiser

Looking for a toy convertible

Want something to drive to the YC on nice days, that sort of thing. Looking around a 2000 vintage with low mileage, which seems fairly common. Ideally one not driven in the winter because of road salt hereabouts. Started with a Boxster until I heard about the fatal flaw with the IMS bearing. A Porsche shop owner told me in no uncertain terms not to buy one even though it meant a loss of business for him. Now considering a Mercedes SLK In my pricem range likely with a four cylinder. I could get a Miata which should keep maintenance costs down and regular gas. What think you all?

1979 Karman Ghia.

image.png.257efea4112469508224704c6126d441.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Want something to drive to the YC on nice days, that sort of thing. Looking around a 2000 vintage with low mileage, which seems fairly common. Ideally one not driven in the winter because of road salt hereabouts. Started with a Boxster until I heard about the fatal flaw with the IMS bearing. A Porsche shop owner told me in no uncertain terms not to buy one even though it meant a loss of business for him. Now considering a Mercedes SLK In my pricem range likely with a four cylinder. I could get a Miata which should keep maintenance costs down and regular gas. What think you all?

Look at a Honda 2000

Back to the Boxster. There are fixes for the IMS bearing that are reasonable to install if you are doing a clutch. Many enthusiast cars already have them installed. Or, look at a 2006 or later build, the last version of the IMS (engines built in early to mid 2006) are unlikely to fail. 

Miata and S2000 are the MGB’s of the day. Fun, simple, reliable. easy to service or fix. Hard to go wrong with either of them.  An unadulterated S2000 with low to moderate mileage in good condition is appreciating a bit. I bought mine on Bring A Trailer 4 years ago and put 1,000 miles or so on it annually as a fun car. 

The Porsche guy I talked to said the Boxster bearing fix is costly and may not solve the problem permanently. He was very down on the car and does not even service them. Strangely enough the bearing they used in first year of the car is better than the 'new one' they replaced it with.

The S2000s from around 2000 are typically twice the price of Miatas, Boxsters, and SLs of similar age and mileage.

2 minutes ago, See Level said:

BMW Z8

5700 made and James Bond drove oneB)

HMN0919-BUG-03.jpg

And only $200k for a not particularly great car. Seems like selling the sizzle rather than the steak. James Bond drove some pretty strange cars, in recent decades whichever car brought the most product-placement money.

14 minutes ago, See Level said:

Isn't driving to the yacht club all about the sizzle?B)

Not if the sizzle costs more than twice as much as the boat.

I went thru several used 500SLs on the cheap. fun to drive, when they break, sell it and get another one that works.. biggest problem with em are the tops... 

like the miata and honda ideas.. never owned one but like the way they look. 

I found a really nice 97 XK8 that had already had all the needed fixes done to it by first owner. Shop records to prove it. still under a 100k and still runs like a top. 

I had an 02  MB CLK 320 for a couple years that was really one of the most reliable cars i've ever had. not quite as flashy as others and people call it a chick car.  but it was fun to drive and just fucking worked every time I turned the key. 

36 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The Porsche guy I talked to said the Boxster bearing fix is costly and may not solve the problem permanently. He was very down on the car and does not even service them. Strangely enough the bearing they used in first year of the car is better than the 'new one' they replaced it with.

The S2000s from around 2000 are typically twice the price of Miatas, Boxsters, and SLs of similar age and mileage.

Hard to argue. We got the S2000 4 years ago with 42k miles for $18,5 and it hasn’t gone down. Considered a Boxster or Miata but wanted something fun and reliable and moderately inexpensive to own. MIata is everywhere but almost too common. My first car was an MGA.  Bid on a couple but decided we wanted a car usable as a daily driver and a 55-60 YO classic with aluminum doors, hood and trunk lid was not something to put in the parking lot at the grocery store.  

Several IMS replacements out there and each has its proponents and detractors.  Personally, I’d avoid any without an upgraded  IMS bearing unless the price allowed doing on very soon after purchase.  

BMW E46. 

I'm looking for the right M3 of this era as a daily driver for 9 months out of the year.  Last year I found a 325xi for my daughter that has been a rock solid car.  Some relatively minor weak spots to look for, but if those are addressed, I believe that any of these great units that just feel "right" to drive.

bring-a-trailer-22.jpg?fit=940,626

• Like 1

Red.jpg

do not buy any C70 Volvo convertible (hardtop or softtop)

the tops are a nightmare of expensive sensors, motors and any adjustment needs to be hooked up to the dealership cpu to reset the system

Independents or auto canvas folks refuse to work on them.

great car with  lot of interior space that will go the distance mechanically and the safety that comes with a volvo, but the roof makes it a write off the minute anything goes wrong with it.

I sold this one for a grand when nobody on the East coast would even look at it and the dealers want a grand just to hook up their computer and average 3-5K to do a full repair.

vovlo.jpg

I just bought the wife a Miata (MX5 over here) our third over the years. Great cars and bulletproof. I even love driving it myself and I have my own toys

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

• Like 1

I still smile every time i get inside the Elise

• Like 1

3 years ago, my daughter had her "first car" hit from behind and constructively totaled.  She very much wanted a convertible and had a budget up to 25-30K.  She drove pretty much everything out there that could be had new or late model used.  The complexity of the BMW, Infinity, etc. convertible hard tops plus the compromised rear legroom.  quickly eliminated those options.  It came down to a new Miata or Fiat Abarth 124, which is a Mazda with the Fiat 1.4 Turbo engine.  The Fiat won on styling as the ND Miata didn't "speak to her".  3 years and 30K+ miles later, she is still very happy with it.  .  A stereo issue (Mazda part) and the handle for the manual top (Mazda part) have been the only issues but she discovered that when they spec 30K miles for plug replacement, they mean it.  Developed a nasty miss at 31K miles and the plugs looked ugly. 

I took a 2002 Audi TT AWD convertible for a test drive last spring and was sorely tempted to buy it. The Carfax said it had already had 2 timing belt changes, many brake jobs, brand new tires, the top worked perfectly, the interior was flawless and ... it had a cassette deck! I fit in it comfortably with the top up which isn't the case with Miatas and SLKs.

Unfortunately, it had 198,000 miles on it. Blue book was around $3K, the dealer was stuck at $5.9K. While that price was probably fair given the superb condition and upkeep, 198K is a lot of miles.

hqdefault.jpg

I kept hoping the dealer would ring me back when it hadn't moved for a month. Then one day it just disappeared... sigh.

9 hours ago, PhilipNZ said:

I just bought the wife a Miata (MX5 over here) our third over the years. Great cars and bulletproof. I even love driving it myself and I have my own toys

IMG_0379.jpeg

What else do you have in the hanger?

14 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

1979 Karman Ghia.

image.png.257efea4112469508224704c6126d441.png

Or

1979_volkswagen_beetle_convertible_15823

In addition you can find these in pretty good shape and on the cheap

maxresdefault.jpg

Along with these...  if you can find a 1.8 turbo all the better

2019_volkswagen_beetle-convertible_conve

Some may come back and say they are "chick cars"  but WTF it is a toy right?

5 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Whose caires what ortheres thick?  If you licke it, you licke it.                                           :)

• Like 1

Buy 'Merican!

I have been exceedingly happy with my Mustang. Granted it is a 2018 not a 2000 but you will find plenty of parts and lower repair bills than most of the cars posted. 

image.png.cf7f0572a64ca0ef9c41f80ce17ae6dc.png

12 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Miata and S2000 are the MGB’s of the day. Fun, simple, reliable. easy to service or fix. Hard to go wrong with either of them.  An unadulterated S2000 with low to moderate mileage in good condition is appreciating a bit. I bought mine on Bring A Trailer 4 years ago and put 1,000 miles or so on it annually as a fun car. 

Reliable and easy to service or fix was not a trait of MG's. You must never had had one. I had numerous ones mga, mgb, mgbgt and they all had electrical gremlins that would leave you quite exasperated. Lucas electricaI was the worst. I would try to always park on a slight incline so I could coast and start it rather than having to push. Loved and hated my mg's.

We have had a bmw z3 for a lot of years as our toy car and it has been very reliable. Highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

I would try to always park on a slight incline so I could coast and start it rather than having to push. Loved and hated my mg's.

Had a Fiat 850 sport in HS.  Dad got it when he had his mid life crisis(mom got it for him) I was about 8.  Sat in the back yard for years with a cherry red paint job and new top in the back.  Hit 16, put that thing together with duct tape and bailing wire.  (Fiberglassed 2x4's under driver seat ;) ).  Did the hill park thing, as well as the pie pan air filter thing and the bailing wire to the throttle cable thing, the replace about 10 starters thing and the pull your hair out cause the thing stalls on the flat when a big ass flatbed 18 wheeler is taking a left  on a 2 lane road and will take your head off if you don't get this damn thing moving thing...  Good times.  Would not trade it for the world...  (It did the get the girl thing pretty well too)...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Or

maxresdefault.jpg

The best custom plate I ever saw was on one of those.

It was triple white and being driven by a beautiful young blond girl.

The plate said "THX DAD". :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whose caires what ortheres thick?  If you licke it, you licke it.                                           :)

Been my motto since Jr High School...

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The best custom plate I ever saw was on one of those.

It was triple white and being driven by a beautiful young blond girl.

The plate said "THX DAD". :D

9 times out of 10 the girl driving it was a 8.9999999 or above..  However, with the new VW Beetle, 10 times out of 10,  the female driver was rather butch looking...  as style you may find attractive   :lol:

For 46,000 you can get a 2/3 size Aston Martin DB9, electric car, big enough for an adult and a child to sit in side by side.

Aston Martin will make old cars electric so they don't get banned from  cities - The Verge

24 minutes ago, nolatom said:

A high school acquaintance put a twin carb Sunbeam Alpine engine in one of those. The single sleepiest sleeper I ever saw.

That was at the height of the musclecar wars and he surprised a few people.

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

I took a 2002 Audi TT AWD convertible for a test drive last spring and was sorely tempted to buy it. The Carfax said it had already had 2 timing belt changes, many brake jobs, brand new tires, the top worked perfectly, the interior was flawless and ... it had a cassette deck! I fit in it comfortably with the top up which isn't the case with Miatas and SLKs.

Unfortunately, it had 198,000 miles on it. Blue book was around $3K, the dealer was stuck at $5.9K. While that price was probably fair given the superb condition and upkeep, 198K is a lot of miles.

hqdefault.jpg

I kept hoping the dealer would ring me back when it hadn't moved for a month. Then one day it just disappeared... sigh.

I had a 2002 Audi TT convertible, drove it for 5 years.  I loved that car.  I didn't go for the AWD because it took room out of the already cramped trunk, and I didn't really see the need for the extra power.

I looked at Boxters, S2000, BMW Z4 etc, but liked the TT best.

If you just want a fun car that you don't have to worry about, the Miata is probably the best bet, but it's unlikely to be low mileage.

What I was hunting for when I found the karmann ghia instead...

1950-willys-jeepster-is-the-bright-yello

• Like 2

3 hours ago, surf nazi said:

Reliable and easy to service or fix was not a trait of MG's. You must never had had one. I had numerous ones mga, mgb, mgbgt and they all had electrical gremlins that would leave you quite exasperated. Lucas electricaI was the worst. I would try to always park on a slight incline so I could coast and start it rather than having to push. Loved and hated my mg's.

We have had a bmw z3 for a lot of years as our toy car and it has been very reliable. Highly recommend it. 

Only an A, a Midget, a much modified Mini, a chrome bumper B and did a body off frame rebuild of a TD, so no, I never owned one.  They all owned me.  Reliable was in reference to the Miata and S2000's.  Those cars are what BLMC could have eventually made if they had ditched Lucas, the Almighty Prince of Darkness.  Although, having an MGA in high school gave me an instant excuse to bring a girl home late from a date.  You could always blame Lucas for letting the smoke out.  

22 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

If you just want a fun car that you don't have to worry about, the Miata is probably the best bet, but it's unlikely to be low mileage.

There are really two sets. People like me who flog them for miles, and garage queens. Not hard to find low mileage Miatas if thats what you want. 

28 minutes ago, Figment said:

My dad had a red one with overdrive. I remember all five kids with an army blanket stuffed into the rear seat for top-down rides to get ice cream. They were terrible cars but he was willing to forgive it for just about anything

16 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Interesting. My local Porsche independent shop has had great luck with the L&N kit. I had my '01S done at 85K miles along with clutch, throwout bearing, RMS, and axle boots. Tranny out service and nope, was not cheap. But it does make the car sellable in the future, that's the first question anyone asks about the car now, well anyone, who knows Porsche's. It not just the Boxsters btw, it also affects 911's of the same era.

The shop who did mine said mine was pristine and could have gone the life of the car. He's done a few of them and some are really bad, some are not. YMMV.

As I told my friend earlier in the week who is contemplating the same thing, a summer roadster toy car, you should at least own one Porsche in your life...

35 minutes ago, DrewR said:

Interesting. My local Porsche independent shop has had great luck with the L&N kit. I had my '01S done at 85K miles along with clutch, throwout bearing, RMS, and axle boots. Tranny out service and nope, was not cheap. But it does make the car sellable in the future, that's the first question anyone asks about the car now, well anyone, who knows Porsche's. It not just the Boxsters btw, it also affects 911's of the same era.

The shop who did mine said mine was pristine and could have gone the life of the car. He's done a few of them and some are really bad, some are not. YMMV.

As I told my friend earlier in the week who is contemplating the same thing, a summer roadster toy car, you should at least own one Porsche in your life...

From some PCA friends,  I hear the opinion that the biggest problem for IMS bearings are from cars that don't get driven hard with some frequency.  If you shift at 3,500 rpm and never toss the car around a little bit, the bearing doesn't get the splashing it needs to stay lubricated.  May be an urban legend as many things Porsche are.  

I completely agree with the statement that any car enthusiast should own a Porsche at least once in their life.  My first was a 901 series and I'm pretty happy with a Macan as my "Old man's tow car"  My son saved his $$ and bought a 997-1 as his first "adult car."  He kept the Civic Si he had for autocrossing and winter driving here in MD but sold it when he moved to Florida this spring, keeping his bike and his Porsche for daily use.    

2 hours ago, Figment said:

Surprised you didn't end up with this..  pretty spartan, heater was optional, but a fun beach car

1973_volkswagen_thing_158684766990dd2561

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Only an A, a Midget, a much modified Mini, a chrome bumper B and did a body off frame rebuild of a TD, so no, I never owned one.  They all owned me.  Reliable was in reference to the Miata and S2000's.  Those cars are what BLMC could have eventually made if they had ditched Lucas, the Almighty Prince of Darkness.  Although, having an MGA in high school gave me an instant excuse to bring a girl home late from a date.  You could always blame Lucas for letting the smoke out.  

Smokekit2.jpg

I have my eyes on seriously built Resto-Mod Mini, totally sorted out and hi performance.  Just need to take care of a few other things first, and shift some funds around.....

4 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

I had a 2002 Audi TT convertible, drove it for 5 years.  I loved that car.  I didn't go for the AWD because it took room out of the already cramped trunk, and I didn't really see the need for the extra power.

I looked at Boxters, S2000, BMW Z4 etc, but liked the TT best.

I saw a 1990 Miata with 43 k km on it. It was remarkable, looked like a new car. I would be afraid to get it dirty.

+1 on the miata

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I saw a 1990 Miata with 43 k km on it. It was remarkable, looked like a new car. I would be afraid to get it dirty.

I no women licke that...............                         :)

10 hours ago, nacradriver said:

What else do you have in the hanger?

Remos LSA, mates Laser, son's bed, guitars, boat shit, amps keyboards, PA systems, lights, assorted crap and a houseboat of Christmas decorations.

IMG_1173.jpeg

81853563_10157630811034526_867397005096255488_o.jpg

Here are two more suggestions to move up the ladder at the yacht club...

th-2.jpeg.a3b9e3b7cfac68c0dcb8316a5b3f70d2.jpeg

Or:

th.jpeg

No it wouldn't.

Eccentric maybe.

• Like 1

amphibious-car-meet-7.jpg

2 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The Citroen would be cool.

citroen-c3-pluriel-1.jpg

cf32c842bc614ed0a30994bd841b6bc1_md.jpg

The novelty of the amphicar takes about seven minutes to wear off.

OK, maybe if you're driving at night and you turn on the red/green running light on the hood you might get the giggles for another ten minutes, but then really it's over and you'd rather be driving just about anything else.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I no women licke that...............                         :)

Friend is making googly eyes at my Miata. She's yet to lick it, tho. ;)

23 hours ago, Figment said:

Noddy called and left a message:

”Oi, that’s MINE!”

image.jpeg.bbbb25f4f230a5f382c7413e1294904b.jpeg

19 hours ago, VWAP said:

amphibious-car-meet-7.jpg

If Ted Kennedy drove an amphicar, he would have become President....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wet Spreaders said:

There can be only one right answer...

1961 - 1968 Jaguar E-Type Pictures, Photos, Wallpapers And Videos. | Top  Speed

Not in my budget though. Has a friend who raced an E-type, the racing version in classic car races.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

I completely agree with the statement that any car enthusiast should own a Porsche at least once in their life. 

Yep, totally agree.  SWMBO and I both had Porches at the same time overseas.  Her's was a 2013 Boxster S and mine a 2009 911 Turbo Cab.  There is nothing like driving with the top down on a nice sunny day.  Both cars had close to zero issues for the 7 years we had them.  I'm still pissed off that we couldn't import them here to the US when we moved back.  I was SOOOOO looking forward to hammering on some of the mountain roads out here.  But at least I can die happy having ticked that box.  And it wasn't just the panache of the Porsche - they were truly fun cars to drive, even as a daily driver.  It was rare that I didn't have a huge grin when behind the wheel with the top down.  

As you said, I think by 2006/07 - most of the IMS issues were solved.  So maybe a later 2000s Porsche is exactly what the OP should look at.

If you want to stay cheap - nothing wrong with a Miata.  My ex had an early Miata back in the mid 90s.  Although I'm not huge at 6ft and 180, it was definitely cramped.  Not sure what the newer models are like.  The main downside of the Miata is that it was always considered a "chick car".  Not sure if it's shed that image even to today.  

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Apparently you didn't read the OP. Looking around a 2000 vintage with low mileage, which seems fairly common. Ideally one not driven in the winter because of road salt hereabouts.

Those start a nearly 6 figures now.

The first car I ever bought.

1965-Jaguar-E-type-Series-I-FHC-Rear.jpg

Absolutely the best version of all - Series One with the glass headlight covers, 4.2 with 3 carbs, ZF all synchro box, toggle switch dash - all the good stuff. They only built that combination for about 18 months.

Took a whole case of oil for a change and you don't even want to think about clutches and rear brake jobs.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The Citroen would be cool.

Lots of smiles from passersby, fun to drive...except in the rain,

With the structural integrity of a corn flakes box but an engine that wouldn't quit...except in the rain. 

Did I mention...the rain?  

I am surprised it took so long to get to the Citroën 2CV...

And why that mention of the rain??? My wife-to-be 2CV was very reliable for cross-country trips in France... if not very fast. Since I could not pass anybody on small country roads, except farm vehicles (600 cc engine, flat twin, air cooled...) I came to the conclusion that I had to do those long trips... at night.

Now, if you want to go really French Exotic, you need a Méhari, still from Citroën, still with the same engine family. All plastic bodywork. The perfect beach car...

image.png.b2e307f0c8508fffc3094696010dd293.png

Believe it or not, the last versions were 4x4!

Not built since 1988 though...

10 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

take your pick..

49767970_2260318227585993_2365990280982691840_n.jpg.dffe8ba66e9bb5347d64aa64070010a6.jpg

5 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Lots of smiles from passersby, fun to drive...except in the rain,

With the structural integrity of a corn flakes box but an engine that wouldn't quit...except in the rain. 

Did I mention...the rain?  

didnt those clowns on topgear blow one to bits behind a cranked up jet engine?

13 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Doesn't really matter what the question was...

11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

This will either go stupid or be treated as a one off bastard in the auction but would suit your purposes nicely.  IMS bearing replaced already. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-boxster-s-52/

61B8E3D9-0979-4E4F-BAB0-0FB3050EA3DB.png

Nice car but it is going to end up being pricey and it is in a plague zone which complicates things.

This week I rolled over 100k with my 1990 Miata. 1st week production, 3 digit VIN. Stock with a few suspension tweaks.  Daily driver for the past 3 years in the summer.  I drive it like I stole it.  Most fun on the entrance/exit ramps. I get better than 1g on a traffic circle.  Not expensive and dependable.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Did you ever use the crank to start your A ? I've run across a few people that had A's but didn't know what that hole in front bumper was for. 

4 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

Did you ever use the crank to start your A ? I've run across a few people that had A's but didn't know what that hole in front bumper was for. 

No.  Never used the crank other than to clock the engine when setting valves.  

On 9/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

This will either go stupid or be treated as a one off bastard in the auction but would suit your purposes nicely.  IMS bearing replaced already. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-boxster-s-52/

61B8E3D9-0979-4E4F-BAB0-0FB3050EA3DB.png

You can get these boxster mocks all day long for under 8. add 3k for new clutch, bearing, a water pump and tires and you have a car that will spin 200k on the clock. Only the lazy shop on BaT. The smart people go out and actually talk to folks who love these cars. 

I am actually following my own advice on this.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:09 PM, slap said:

If Ted Kennedy drove an amphicar, he would have become President....

image.png.269ef1c7000605a288a7c41ef8b872f5.png

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

You can get these boxster mocks all day long for under 8. add 3k for new clutch, bearing, a water pump and tires and you have a car that will spin 200k on the clock. Only the lazy shop on BaT. The smart people go out and actually talk to folks who love these cars. 

I am actually following my own advice on this.

A lot of Boxster owner I have talked to love the car and maintenance has not really been an issue..

21 hours ago, Black Jack said:

add 3k for new clutch, bearing, a water pump and tires and you have a car that will spin 200k on the clock

Damn I hope so... 

Mine has been relatively good. Certainly better than the Audi's and BMW's I've owned along with the Boxster. 

There was a noisy bearing replaced under warranty, brakes, oil, tires (lots of tires, fronts replaced yesterday), new top with glass defroster new top.

Other than the IMS, RMS, clutch (didn't need replacement yet at 85K), and the rear axle boots, I can't think of anything else I've put into it.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:24 AM, Snaggletooth said:

shouldn't be licking random things in times of carona..

On 9/26/2020 at 12:42 PM, SloopJonB said:

Apparently you didn't read the OP. Looking around a 2000 vintage with low mileage, which seems fairly common. Ideally one not driven in the winter because of road salt hereabouts.

Those start a nearly 6 figures now.

The first car I ever bought.

1965-Jaguar-E-type-Series-I-FHC-Rear.jpg

Absolutely the best version of all - Series One with the glass headlight covers, 4.2 with 3 carbs, ZF all synchro box, toggle switch dash - all the good stuff. They only built that combination for about 18 months.

Took a whole case of oil for a change and you don't even want to think about clutches and rear brake jobs.

and don't forget about all the shims...    friends father had one of those in pale yellow...