NZK

MOD 70 fleet

There seems to be a general appreciation of the MOD70s on this forum so I thought it'd be worth a thread to keep track of them. To kick things off can we do a roll-call of the fleet - I've lost track of where they've all got to and what iteration each hull is in - my current roster is;

Concise/Powerplay (ex paprec)

Maserati (ex Gitana)

Argo (ex Oman)

Mana - ex Spindrift sold end 2019 to new owner???

Beau Geste (ex Pheado, ex Foncia)

Orion? (ex Veolia) I think this is still running in SF area as a youth sailing charity after Siebel 'donated' it...

Race for Water? Is this the one stuck in the roof of Multiplast or somewhere similar in France?

Also the state of various attempts to create a foiling MOD70 - as far as I can tell there's Soldini's Maserati, Argo and now something being referred to as the 'lighter than air' project with Solid Composites in AKL building the foils (or are these for one of the 2 existing foiling boats??). 

Neither Maserati or Argo seem to have got a fully functioning set-up - Maserati seems to struggle with reliability and Argo went really quiet after their re-launch and I heard rumours it had been the opposite of a success, maybe I'm wrong and just haven't seen the latest footage?? 

Anyone got new info on the foiling projects or general updates on the fleet status? 

This feels like the forum equivalent of when you tell your wife that thing definitely isn't there and then she hands it to you after 5 seconds of looking...

So Mana, the ex Spindrift, seems to have an Italian owner and is entered into the Middle Sea Race and the boards under construction in NZ are for Argo's ongoing foiling project...

On 9/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, NZK said:

There seems to be a general appreciation of the MOD70s on this forum so I thought it'd be worth a thread to keep track of them. To kick things off can we do a roll-call of the fleet - I've lost track of where they've all got to and what iteration each hull is in - my current roster is;

Concise/Powerplay (ex paprec)

Maserati (ex Gitana)

Argo (ex Oman)

Mana - ex Spindrift sold end 2019 to new owner???

Beau Geste (ex Pheado, ex Foncia)

Orion? (ex Veolia) I think this is still running in SF area as a youth sailing charity after Siebel 'donated' it...

Race for Water? Is this the one stuck in the roof of Multiplast or somewhere similar in France?

Also the state of various attempts to create a foiling MOD70 - as far as I can tell there's Soldini's Maserati, Argo and now something being referred to as the 'lighter than air' project with Solid Composites in AKL building the foils (or are these for one of the 2 existing foiling boats??). 

Neither Maserati or Argo seem to have got a fully functioning set-up - Maserati seems to struggle with reliability and Argo went really quiet after their re-launch and I heard rumours it had been the opposite of a success, maybe I'm wrong and just haven't seen the latest footage?? 

Anyone got new info on the foiling projects or general updates on the fleet status? 

Maybe wrong but I remember hearing  BeauGest was heading in the full foiling direction?  

3 hours ago, plugger said:

Maybe wrong but I remember hearing  BeauGest was heading in the full foiling direction?  

Based on the above links it seems like DNA in Holland built a set of foils for both Argo and Beau Geste from a Martin Fischer design.  

Ultimboat.com reports that, for Argo at least, these weren't successful and we're actually returned to the manufacturer...

Now Argo have new foils in-build with Solid Composites in NZ and Beau Geste has added an extra 2m bowsprit to increase lightwind sail area (no mention of whether they've stuck with their Fischer foils or returned to original C foils).

• Like 2

I

On 9/26/2020 at 5:20 PM, Trovão said:

I might be off here but I think #5 is now Mana owned by Riccardo Pavoncelli that was just in the Rolex Middle Sea race

• Like 1