hobot

Chubby Girl - Going to Hawaii

He is 90 miles out and trying to get north east but mostly going WSW and trying for Monterey which it looks like he will miss to the south.
His only communication is outgoing blog and is asking people how far out  will SeaTow come get him. Leaking about one gallon/hour from broken motor mounts.  Quite the Apollo 13 shit show happening.    

And that thing was supposed to go over niagara falls??  WTF??  1 wave does not = 1billion tons hitting that thing non stop...  

because of cover there is less traffic on the bay from commuter ferry boats which have drastically cut service, less tourist boats. big ships are still active and there is always at least one in transit. they don't stop and can't turn.

18 hours ago, apophenia said:

These messages reveal just how unprepared Wilbur was and is for his record attempt.

1. With a hull speed of ~4 kts (1.34 * sqrt(9) = 1.34 * 3 = 4.02 Kts)...

I know...he should have added foils...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, benytoe said:

because of cover there is less traffic on the bay from commuter ferry boats which have drastically cut service, less tourist boats. big ships are still active and there is always at least one in transit. they don't stop and can't turn.

Ferries do not go outside of the bay and their routes and times are published. Yes, the big ships are always there, but as you indicate, not that many. Avoiding one ship at a time is mostly the game indeed.

IN other news:

It doesn't seem like he will make Monterey. Winds will drop in the coming days, then briefly turn South. The southern breeze might help him, but I think it is mostly the current determining where he ends up. Hopefully he can get close enough to Monterey so that he gets cell phone reception and a tow. Drifting along the stretch of coast south of Monterey would be "interesting." 

I honestly don't understand why people like Jim Antrim and Cree didn't stop him from going out on this thing. As designer and builder of ocean going vessels they know better. Maybe he is a nice guy and they decided to help him a bit and things got a bit out of hand. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, benytoe said:

Not entirely true. 'Big ships'  do stop and often rescue small boat yachties in trouble. They are also bound to.      
There is plenty of traffic not to mention USCG if he gets close and requires or asks for  a rescue   

1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

He is 90 miles out and trying to get north east but mostly going WSW and trying for Monterey which it looks like he will miss to the south.
His only communication is outgoing blog and is asking people how far out  will SeaTow come get him. Leaking about one gallon/hour from broken motor mounts.  Quite the Apollo 13 shit show happening.    

6 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Ferries do not go outside of the bay and their routes and times are published. Yes, the big ships are always there, but as you indicate, not that many. Avoiding one ship at a time is mostly the game indeed.

IN other news:

It doesn't seem like he will make Monterey. Winds will drop in the coming days, then briefly turn South. The southern breeze might help him, but I think it is mostly the current determining where he ends up. Hopefully he can get close enough to Monterey so that he gets cell phone reception and a tow. Drifting along the stretch of coast south of Monterey would be "interesting." 

I honestly don't understand why people like Jim Antrim and Cree didn't stop him from going out on this thing. As designer and builder of ocean going vessels they know better. Maybe he is a nice guy and they decided to help him a bit and things got a bit out of hand. 

IMHO, it is mostly lack of preparation. The fact that he had an outboard with him whereas a simpler and lighter sculling oar would have worked shows that he had at least some of his priorities wrong. For this kind of boat to work you need to keep it super simple and test everything meticulously...

Also he should be doing 3 knots when the wind is up, something is wrong with the boat.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

I honestly don't understand why people like Jim Antrim and Cree didn't stop him from going out on this thing.

Did you see his first iteration he 'designed' himself? It was a mess design wise and would have almost certainly got him killed. I think they were just trying to give the guy a fighting chance. Dudley Dix did something similar when Ant Stewart wanted to circumnavigate the world in an open boat.

The guys going out there with or without their help. I guarantee you they tried to dissuade him throughout the entire process, there's just some guys you can't reason with. It's a tough situation for anyone. I wouldn't blame anyone for walking away from the crazies like this, but I wouldn't blame those that would step in to give the guy a fighting chance of not killing himself either. 

35 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

IMHO, it is mostly lack of preparation. The fact that he had an outboard with him whereas a simpler and lighter sculling oar would have worked shows that he had at least some of his priorities wrong. For this kind of boat to work you need to keep it super simple and test everything meticulously...

Also he should be doing 3 knots when the wind is up, something is wrong with the boat.

Not much evidence of sea trials of any meaningful kind before departure...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

2020-10-06T17:12:29.000Z

Although rocky and rolly, and the winds are light, I do not have waves crashing over the boat and having to deal with that and the water leaks at the hatch. Another limitation of such a little boat is that there is no place to spread out the bedding to dry. I guess by the time I get to port I will be a favorite with the local mutts from this bedding wet dog odor.

2020-10-06T16:54:04.000Z

I am about  90 miles from Santa Cruz on. Heading of 65 degrees magnetic. Last night due to the light winds the current had carried me south 5 miles of my more northerly position from yesterday. I was able to make about 20 miles more easterly. Today the winds are very light again, and I can only raise the mainsail about half mast height because the halyard is wrapped up with the spinnaker halyard and they are both caught  with the spreader light, appears wrapped around the light a couple times, and it is too rocky with swells to go forward on this little deck to try to free the lines. This is one major limitation of such a little boat-- can only go forward in the calmest of seas otherwise the risk of falling overboard is too great even when strapped to the boat.

I hope the winds increase today so I do not drift past Monterrey Bay. I also wish I had phone  connection so I could find out which marina to head to for the haul out. <

If all goes well and I get stronger winds and do not drift too far south with this current, then maybe I will be in a Monterey Bay harbor by Friday or Saturday.

Due to the hatch leaks and water leak, along with no sun and lots of condensation, my bedding has gotten wet and does not dry. The inside of the boat is beginning to smell like a pack of old dirty wet dogs. Although I try to "bath" daily with wet wipes, I may also be contributing to the  chemical soup of odors.

On the bight side, I am still floating and have plenty of food -  just no more chocolate.

The above is from his Blog

Does not look very exciting. (fun)

Edited by h20man
source of quote

16 minutes ago, h20man said:

The above is from his Blog

Does not look very exciting. (fun)

Better than being in the west wing tho... :P

Tracker doesn't look like he's going to make Monterey.  Currently he's tracking more south than east.

I admit, I'm disappointed.  I thought Chubby Girl was going to be the next "1000 days" :blink:

Forget San Francisco or Monterey, tracker looks like he's not going to make North America at this point.  Hard to fight the southerly California current when your boat only goes 2 knots.  On the bright side by the time he hits Antarctica the world should be completely free of ice caps and glaciers and will be a comfortable 78 degrees there.

Edit:  Just checked his website, Coast Guard has been contacted and is on scene.  CG should change their motto to "Rescuing people from themselves for over 100 years"

This is all just so strange and unexpected.  Who would have thought an unproven 9 ft boat sailing to Hawaii would end this way?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

Forget San Francisco or Monterey, tracker looks like he's not going to make North America at this point.  Hard to fight the southerly California current when your boat only goes 2 knots.  On the bright side by the time he hits Antarctica the world should be completely free of ice caps and glaciers and will be a comfortable 78 degrees there.

Edit:  Just checked his website, Coast Guard has been contacted and is on scene.  CG should change their motto to "Rescuing people from themselves for over 100 years"

This is all just so strange and unexpected.  Who would have thought an unproven 9 ft boat sailing to Hawaii would end this way?

Yet he told them all is under control and sent them on their way?

Again from his Blog:

2020-10-06T19:37:26.000Z

A coast guard helicopter just arrived  to confirm that I am ok and have the leak under control. I told them I am ok and the leak is being controlled, and since no waves are crashing over the boat, the hatch leak, which was the more concern in rough seas, is not currently a problem. You got to admit that the Coast Guard's response  is exemplary and highly commendable. A job well done to those professionals.

Lots of weird in this whole story - it sounded like he had experience,  but these blog posts sound like a guy with almost no experience nor local knowledge/familiarity of the Norcal coast. The whole motor thing. Also, the boat moving questions - this thing should fit in a long bed F250 with the tailgate down, if not then a Uhaul 2 axle trailer. 

Must suck to be stuck in that washing machine AND seasick AND wet AND wrapped halyard AND  leaks....I suppose I could go on and on but I think I'm going to go watch TV 

1 hour ago, Latadjust said:

Lots of weird in this whole story - it sounded like he had experience,  but these blog posts sound like a guy with almost no experience nor local knowledge/familiarity of the Norcal coast. The whole motor thing. Also, the boat moving questions - this thing should fit in a long bed F250 with the tailgate down, if not then a Uhaul 2 axle trailer. 

Must suck to be stuck in that washing machine AND seasick AND wet AND wrapped halyard AND  leaks....I suppose I could go on and on but I think I'm going to go watch TV 

If this is difficult just a few days in... can you imagine how crazed he would be at the end?

1 minute ago, h20man said:

If this is difficult just a few days in... can you imagine how crazed he would be at the end?

The pod-like vessel bumps up against the dock at the Ala Wai, curious bystanders warily approach as strange sounds emanate from within. Just then, the creaky hatch begins to lift slowly upwards...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Yes thanks for wasting their time and our time on your I’ll prepared POS adventure. Douchebag! 

Our Tax Dollars put to a completely unnecessary use.  Ain't life marvelous?  Another few days and the science experiment on board would be out of control.  See we now have a CG Cutter taking him under tow, I have seen them tow pretty fast, that will be sporty and a second smaller cutter responding.  Too bad he didn't have Vessel Assist.

Oh goodie. I'll be in Monterey Marina tomorrow, patiently throwing away sanding disks, when the clown arrives. As your correspondent I'll try to get a measure of the stench down below.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

RIDICULOUS, they should have taken him off and used Chubby Girl for target practise

A little harsh maybe?  I would rephrase it to something like "we find towing at 1.1 knots poses a hazard to our vessel and crew, therefore we order you to abandon your boat, which we then then scuttle during a weapons exercise."  Seriously,  those cutters are not  supposed to go slow.  They roll like crazy and it is hard on the drives. At least on the Island class they would have to be constantly shifting in and out of gear at idle to go that slow, guessing same issue on the Sentinel but maybe they sprung for an extra troll gear..   A rescue is one thing, its great training and generally the right thing to do, but causing un-neccesary wear and tear on two 5,800shp plants that honestly should have other things to do is another.

• Like 4

If there's one thing I learned from Sailing Anarchy about how to successfully go offshore in a boat...

81UhPwHe6lL._SX342_.jpg

714234.jpeg

imageService.jpeg

Who designs a nine foot boat that requires a freaking travel lift to haul out??? Doomed right out of the gate. 

43 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Who designs a nine foot boat that requires a freaking travel lift to haul out??? Doomed right out of the gate. 

Jim Antrim.

But... looking at his map.. he is going much times faster then he did before (assuming each blue dot is equidistant time report)

Positively screaming speeds..... I wonder if chubby girl shall stay in one piece.......

SNAP.png.dc463002fbd8cc114bc0b17a26cef7f1.png

11 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Oh goodie. I'll be in Monterey Marina tomorrow, patiently throwing away sanding disks, when the clown arrives. As your correspondent I'll try to get a measure of the stench down below.

Ensure you have a full battery, can upload video and photos... possible interview.... (we should get a list of questions for you to ask...)

My question is:

If the boat was so uncomfortable and sanitation was so difficult after the first few days... how do you think you would feel after the journey is completed to Hawaii?

My question:

Do you think you would have made it to Hawaii if you would have brought a second roll of duct tape and a spray can of Flex Seal?

2nd question:

Assuming you did a 3 or 4 day offshore sea trial at some point in order to test out a 9ft boat that you just recently built, how many rolls of duct tape did you bring with you on those journeys?  How much duct tape did you use on those sea trials?  Did you find the Flex Seal to be as robust as the infomercials claim? 

btw, don't forget to look surprised when he says he never did an extended offshore sea trial.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, h20man said:

But... looking at his map.. he is going much times faster then he did before (assuming each blue dot is equidistant time report)

Positively screaming speeds..... I wonder if chubby girl shall stay in one piece.......

SNAP.png.dc463002fbd8cc114bc0b17a26cef7f1.png

Well, the speed now shows 2.3, so, I guess that makes more or less sense in terms of distance of the dots on the tracker (especially when taking into that the speed is now constant). She also shows up on Marine Traffic at a speed of 2.4, which must be brutal for a 150 ft cutter. I am wondering: homemade vessels have been used for drug trafficking. To they want to preserve the vessel so they can investigate it? I am not convinced of this myself, but I am kind of baffled why they tow this thing to the coast.

5 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

I am not convinced of this myself, but I am kind of baffled why they tow this thing to the coast.

Because absolutely no one would believe the coasties when they told them what they had to do.  "No, seriously, this guy actually tried to sail to Hawaii in a 9ft orange egg.  Go look for yourself, it's at the dock.  He wasn't able to make it to Hawaii, then he couldn't even make it to Monterey so we had to rescue him."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

btw, don't forget to look surprised when he says he never did an extended offshore sea trial.

According to the website he did 2 months of sea trials on the new boat.

50 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

in what reiteration?

1 minute ago, shaggy said:

in what reiteration?

Not entirely sure what you ask, but don't ask me! I am just reporting what he states on the website. I am not defending him.

The interview question should ask about the nature of these sea trials? Did he sail it in the harbor? The bay? The ocean? My guess is that the ocean was not involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

In a swimming pool?

• Like 3

I've been reluctant to call him out on the lack of real world testing the boat had because it seems hard to imagine anyone doing this without extensive testing of the vessel. That would be just insane.  But most of his problems seemed to come up within the first few days and are mostly all things one would expect to encounter had a real conditions offshore test sail been done.  It's like he went running for 2 miles, then signed up for a marathon the next week.

To be honest I'm a bit conflicted, obviously the guy spent an enormous amount of time and energy into his dream and he appears to have a reasonable amount of sailing experience. I feel a little bad crapping all over someones dream and in theory anyone should be free to chase whatever dream that motivates them.  But when you involve resources and need other people to come to your rescue for issues that seemingly would have been easy to predict or test out before hand you sort of open yourself up to public criticism.  I wish him well and if he attempts this again I hope he spends far more time in the R&D stage of his dream.   However this episode was just a shit show and constant series of "I saw that coming".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

Not unlike @FishFood before him. Once barely making it around Pt. Conception on a calm day is proof of seaworthy craft and crew.

• Like 2

He never did sea trials. he built it and put it in the water. it was built far (for that boat) from the open ocean, it never left the marina. I'm guessing he will not do the trip.

Good idea for another question:

Are you going to try this trip again?

8 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

However this episode was just a shit show and constant series of "I saw that coming".

What is it about the Pacific Ocean that draws these fools out?  Maybe it's a California thing but Rimas started in Washington or was it Alaska.  It's almost an annual occurrence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, h20man said:

Good idea for another question:

Are you going to try this trip again?

Again, don't forget to look surprised when he says "Yes, as soon as I get more Flex Seal to fix the leak."

Screen_Shot_2020-10-07_at_10_21.07_AM.png

1 minute ago, Teener said:

What is it about the Pacific Ocean that draws these fools out?  Maybe it's a California thing but Rimas started in Washington or was it Alaska.  It's almost an annual occurrence.

It's the smoke in the air from the forest fires.  It's like meth, makes us do crazy things.  Looks like this episode is unfortunately coming to a close, hoping there's a new show starting soon.

2 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

It's the smoke in the air from the forest fires.  It's like meth, makes us do crazy things.  Looks like this episode is unfortunately coming to a close, hoping there's a new show starting soon.

5 minutes ago, Teener said:

The best thread in all S.A. existence and the basis for competing feature films "Da Flyin' Hawaiian' also started on the Pacific coast... same place!  Wow.....  never saw that one....

• Like 1

Just what do you imagine he is going to do with that coffin once he gets back to SF? Reinforce the transom and try again, maybe with more chocolate?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h20man said:

The best thread in all S.A. existence and the basis for competing feature films "Da Flyin' Hawaiian' also started on the Pacific coast... same place!  Wow.....  never saw that one....

Don't forget one of the original nutcakes, Mr Weed Stowe, was an East Coast gent.

1 hour ago, Teener said:

Well, it is a big ocean after all....

40 minutes ago, pbd said:

Don't forget one of the original nutcakes, Mr Weed Stowe, was an East Coast gent.

The original "nutcakes" I know of, were a 1970s couple. I was at the launch ramp one day where they were loading up a 16' inflatable with provisions, and said they were headed for Hawaii.

When the boat was fully loaded the wife broke down crying, there was no place for her to sit.

They motored out the harbor, and as far as I know, were never heard from again.

Also, honorable mention, also in 1970s, goes to a commune group that built 4 giant penguins in the woods, and planned to populate a random island in the Pacific. A couple, and a kid aboard each boat. One guy on one boat "knew how to sail". They were stopped by the CG after training for some time, with the 4 boats tied together, so they wouldn't be separated at sea. Those boats were sold off, and were around the marina for years. Manifestly unsafe voyage. Probably would have been able to go if they had left the kids ashore.

I'm about half way through this podcast interview with Wilbur. His account does not inspire confidence. He did a year of sea (bay) trials in the first Chubby Girl, only to sawzall it up after building the new Chubby Girl earlier this year. Not much in the way of trials for the new boat, hurry off to Hawaii! https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/wilbur-spaul-sailing-to-hawaii-in-9-foot-sailboat-named/id1451769531?i=1000492559718

It's interesting to compare with George Sigler's account of taking a 15' Zodiac to Hawaii. While Sigler was on a mission to prove out survival gear, Wilbur's muse seems to have been his ex-wife. While Sigler is good at telling a dramatic story, but it sounds to me like he presents the facts of his experience dramatically rather than embellishing them. Wilbur, though, is full of unsupported bluster and dismissal of critics.

In my opinion, Wilbur needs to find a good wetsnail and a partner who won't send him off on a suicide mission. 

1 hour ago, apophenia said:

In my opinion, Wilbur needs to find a good wetsnail and a partner who won't send him off on a suicide mission. 

...and a couple of paper charts

...and a friggin cruising guide 

...and a hand-crank charger for his electronics when it's "too cloudy"

...and some familiarity with the conditions he is likely to encounter and prepare therefore 

...and...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, redtim said:

Jim Antrim.

Why the hell would anyone associate themselves with that POS? I realize he was just trying to help the guy but he should  have done it in under cover. Don’t use my name! I was never here! 

what’s it rate ? 

Three hours ago he said the CG would hand him off to smaller vessel in 4 hours.  We are nearing the hand off point.  At 2.7 knots.

Chubby Girl Tow Wednesday.JPG

I can't believe they are towing him. I thought the CG would only give him once chance to either get off or wave goodbye. 

34 minutes ago, windsurfer said:

I can't believe they are towing him. I thought the CG would only give him once chance to either get off or wave goodbye. 

They tell you to abandon, but they can’t make you, they also can’t close the job down until you’re safe so if you say no they will find another way. 

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

They tell you to abandon, but they can’t make you, they also can’t close the job down until you’re safe so if you say no they will find another way. 

...or a slow tow somehow fits into their training or deployment plan. They spend much time on pointless patrols. Might as well slowly inspect the Monterey area. We do know it is an area of intense interest to Homeland Security for drugs and such.

I gave up on waiting for his arrival in Monterey. Too cold. Too late. Maybe tomorrow morning I will seek him out.

17 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

...or a slow tow somehow fits into their training or deployment plan. They spend much time on pointless patrols. Might as well slowly inspect the Monterey area. We do know it is an area of intense interest to Homeland Security for drugs and such.

I gave up on waiting for his arrival in Monterey. Too cold. Too late. Maybe tomorrow morning I will seek him out.

Yes I agree. If they are there they might as well help. 

9 hours ago, Teener said:

Watchoo talkin' bout Willis?

sven-yrvind-Google-Search.clipular.jpg

post-105471-0-86488100-1415972290 (1).jpg

2008-02-18_2251_tincan.jpg

images.jpeg

8 hours ago, pbd said:

Bur Reid can actualky sail. Andd had an actual biat. And actuallyvsaiked

2 hours ago, hobot said:

Watchoo talkin' bout Willis?

sven-yrvind-Google-Search.clipular.jpg

post-105471-0-86488100-1415972290 (1).jpg

2008-02-18_2251_tincan.jpg

images.jpeg

Great, as the saying goes, what could possibly go wrong???  I hope that the Coasties have hazmat suits when they open the hatch on miss piggy.

15 hours ago, windsurfer said:

Once they smelled him, they took the appropriate route

21 hours ago, apophenia said:

I'm about half way through this podcast interview with Wilbur. His account does not inspire confidence. He did a year of sea (bay) trials in the first Chubby Girl, only to sawzall it up after building the new Chubby Girl earlier this year. Not much in the way of trials for the new boat, hurry off to Hawaii! https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/wilbur-spaul-sailing-to-hawaii-in-9-foot-sailboat-named/id1451769531?i=1000492559718

It's interesting to compare with George Sigler's account of taking a 15' Zodiac to Hawaii. While Sigler was on a mission to prove out survival gear, Wilbur's muse seems to have been his ex-wife. While Sigler is good at telling a dramatic story, but it sounds to me like he presents the facts of his experience dramatically rather than embellishing them. Wilbur, though, is full of unsupported bluster and dismissal of critics.

Sigler was a nut-job in many ways, too. But if you can find a copy of his book it makes for an entertaining read. He also started the SF Bay Singlehanded Sailing Society (I think that's correct) so that's a decent legacy.

• Like 1

I bet he might have had a hard time finding a motel that would take him in.

He is planning to try it again in the Spring, after describing it as a trip from hell.

Maybe, hopefully, he will change his mind. 

He should really do the Single Handed Sailing Society's LongPac or the equivelant DIY qualifier to shake is boat down prior to making the attempt on Hawaii.

• Like 1

thats it for now, money says he doesnt do it again

22 minutes ago, apophenia said:

He should really do the Single Handed Sailing Society's LongPac or the equivelant DIY qualifier to shake is boat down prior to making the attempt on Hawaii.

I think he just did. Sort of ended in failure but hopefully he learned some things. Like leave the fucking outboard at home or at least put it down below when offshore. It'll give him something to cuddle at night.

21 minutes ago, benytoe said:

thats it for now, money says he doesnt do it again

I bet he get's himself a San Juan 24 and gives it another go.

2 hours ago, Teener said:

I bet he get's himself a San Juan 24 and gives it another go.

My bet is on an Optimist fitted with a dodger.

It seems the preparations are already underway...

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.4b38d26a28f393967b4f8ff7202c0a86.JPG

1 hour ago, psycho tiller said:

My bet is on an Optimist fitted with a dodger.

Sounds like an upgrade.  At least it would move through the water better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, El Boracho said:

The disappointment... I thought you had our questions and were going to do an interview....

BTW... is it true that the national guard was out there with the chem/bio decontamination unit to do 'an exercise'?

On 10/7/2020 at 9:48 AM, AnotherSailor said:

We’re those months measured in “dog months”?

The fact he took the stupid motor shows just how absurdly unprepared and magical thinking he was.
No need for a motor! 9 foot boat. What range could he get? 50 miles? Oars make more sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Design inspiration?  Sponsorship opportunity?  

wienermobile-11.jpg.c5ab8c20db937ecca1ab3fe92b516ebc.jpg

I parked next to one of them at a hotel in Cleveland about 25 years ago.

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

"The captain of the tiny ship had bent his knees while sleeping on his back, waking every hour to check his heading and general sailing conditions. Vihlen finally hit shore at Falmouth 105 days later, barely able to walk due to his inability to stretch out properly on the ship. He also lost a total of thirty-four pounds while at sea."

That cannot be fun!  NFW!

• Like 1

I can't believe he says he is going to do it again.

It's like he is trying to succeed by trial and error, but without the trial part.

Wouldn't mind, but he should leave the Coast Guard/others out of it next time.

Lord knows I may do something stupid and need the CG some day, but should be a limit of one ride per customer.

22 minutes ago, sunol said:

I can't believe he says he is going to do it again.

It's like he is trying to succeed by trial and error, but without the trial part.

Wouldn't mind, but he should leave the Coast Guard/others out of it next time.

Lord knows I may do something stupid and need the CG some day, but should be a limit of one ride per customer.

Australian spent $185 million looking for MH370 & we knew they were already dead. 

I looked at his website and found the description of the sea trials:

"Sea trials involved testing the sails, checking weight balance, and installing and testing a new wind vane."

So yeah, that could all have happened tied to the dock...

8 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

"The captain of the tiny ship had bent his knees while sleeping on his back, waking every hour to check his heading and general sailing conditions. Vihlen finally hit shore at Falmouth 105 days later, barely able to walk due to his inability to stretch out properly on the ship. He also lost a total of thirty-four pounds while at sea."

That cannot be fun!  NFW!

These records should be a function of boat size divided by sailor size... I can see how a dwarf midget  "little person"*  would have an unfair advantage in setting a record......

A chap of 54.6 cm (21.5 in)  height is living in luxury compared to a chap of 272 cm (107.9 inches) on a 5 foot floating object.

*changed for political correctness....

6 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

I looked at his website and found the description of the sea trials:

"Sea trials involved testing the sails, checking weight balance, and installing and testing a new wind vane."

So yeah, that could all have happened tied to the dock...

Regardless....  Even though he did not "study 10,000 designs",  his vessel is still in one piece... floating, and got further out then the infamous "Flyin Hawaiian".... and ...

more importantly it managed to get back!*

*ok. it was towed back in, but it did not descend into a million fractal pieces like the FH....

he couldn't even handle a week, its a 2 month passage he said.

5 hours ago, h20man said:

Regardless....  Even though he did not "study 10,000 designs",  his vessel is still in one piece... floating, and got further out then the infamous "Flyin Hawaiian".... and ...

more importantly it managed to get back!*

*ok. it was towed back in, but it did not descend into a million fractal pieces like the FH....

I have become convinced that it is inhumane to keep some vessels alive and afloat. Provide them the dignity to die. 

16 hours ago, fastyacht said:

The fact he took the stupid motor shows just how absurdly unprepared and magical thinking he was.
No need for a motor! 9 foot boat. What range could he get? 50 miles? Oars make more sense.

16 hours ago, fastyacht said:

While I do agree taking the motor along was stupid. Your link to father's day shows that guy took a motor along. My guess is he's worried about getting into harbor in Honolulu (if that was the destination).

I have never understood the fascination/allure/fixation with tiny boat crossings. Eventually some mook is going to strap a pair of pool floaties to his (her? although it seems to usually be a guy) arms and hold up a scrap of cloth for a sail and take a stab at it.