hobot

Chubby Girl - Going to Hawaii

Scow bow, how modern. I guess it may almost be mandatory on a 9' boat

Good on him, but I want to see pics of it surfing in the Molokai Channel.B)

"After a year of sea trials and several modifications, I scrapped the original Chubby Girl in February 2020, and asked Jim Antrim to give me a lighter and faster design, which ended up being a 9 foot boat. I started work on the new design in February 2020, and Cree Partridge, who is the owner of Berkeley Marine Center, has been extremely helpful in the construction of the new boat."  

IMG_2280.jpg

He can't take that offshore,  it doesn't have lifelines!

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Seems an odd time of year to be starting

• Like 1

Well he apparently made it out of the Gate so eventually he'll probably end up somewhere near Hawaii assuming he can point the thing in the approximate direction.

Cockpit protection straight out of the Hugo Boss manual!  Why didn't he go for the same foils as well?  I'm sure that thing would fly.........

3 hours ago, chuso007 said:

2-3 months in that shoebox? 

Gets to Hawaii: 

two week quarantine onboard.

• Like 12

2 days of light wind off the coast, no wind till Wednesday afternoon

wow...what's the potable water plan? 

Why?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sailak said:

Gets to Hawaii: 

Actually the quarantine is no longer in place if you do a a pre-departure test within 72 hours of arrival... oh wait, that is not going to work. 

5 hours ago, See Level said:

"After a year of sea trials and several modifications, I scrapped the original Chubby Girl in February 2020, and asked Jim Antrim to give me a lighter and faster design, which ended up being a 9 foot boat. I started work on the new design in February 2020, and Cree Partridge, who is the owner of Berkeley Marine Center, has been extremely helpful in the construction of the new boat."  

He also has sails made by Kame Richards. The guy got some local respected talent involved. And these are not people who will do anything to take your money. 

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why?

I hope he makes it, but yes WHY WHY WHY?

2 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:
13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why?

I hope he makes it, but yes WHY WHY WHY?

Because ist theire...........                         :)

Fuck that made my day , well worth the entertainment value 

7 hours ago, See Level said:

Scow bow, how modern. I guess it may almost be mandatory on a 9' boat

Good on him, but I want to see pics of it surfing in the Molokai Channel.B)

IMG_2280.jpg

Thats a faster design? Fark the first one must have been something to behold. I guess like a lot of fat chicks it might have a nice personality.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, See Level said:

I want to see pics of it surfing in the Molokai Channel.

Surfing? It could actually be rolling, by the looks of it...

BTW, Is he really carrying that outboard all the way to Hawaii???

4 hours ago, sailak said:

Gets to Hawaii: 

Mr Trump has promised you lot a vaccine by then,  no problem, all good!

The very end of the report filed 6 hours ago...

"Today a ship passed less than 400 yards and I never saw it"

:o

Thanks for coming by and dropping your opinion on us Gouv but....WTF is wrong with you?

The guy built a boat and is off on an adventure.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Thats a faster design? Fark the first one must have been something to behold. I guess like a lot of fat chicks it might have a nice personality.

Well this was the first iteration - I can well imagine Mk2 being a lot faster - or to be more accurate, a lot less slow!

At-Hansen-Rigging-Dock-in-Alameda-getting-ready-for-mast-installation-.jpg

In 2 days spot tracker says  he hit a high seed of 1.7 knots for a short period, but that was drifting north in the wrong direction. Mostly doing 0.4 knots or less and too foggy to recharge batteries. Sounds like fun.  His blog says part of the design draft was to have a sustainable asset which will be used after this voyage for more adventures, and next up will be going over Niagara Falls in 2022 and will be seen on a 4 part Discovery Channel special .    

' Although I have lined the inside walls with 1-gallon plastic jugs, there is no other designed internal positive displacement,  so if the boat fills with water, it will very likely sink'. 

RFDA3683.jpg

71.-Bow-Storage-early-pic.jpg

3 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Well this was the first iteration - I can well imagine Mk2 being a lot faster - or to be more accurate, a lot less slow!

Mk 1 did not have a sail.  Fuck that.

10 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

In 2 days spot tracker says  he hit a high seed of 1.7 knots for a short period, but that was drifting north in the wrong direction. Mostly doing 0.4 knots or less and too foggy to recharge batteries. Sounds like fun.  His blog says part of the design draft was to have a sustainable asset which will be used after this voyage for more adventures, and next up will be going over Niagara Falls in 2022 and will be seen on a 4 part Discovery Channel special .    

5 minutes ago, astro said:

Mk 1 did not have a sail.  Fuck that.

Yes it did

S4-Jib-and-Mainsail.jpg

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Looking at his website the first one looks almost identical, but he made it out of plywood and a tiny keel. Seems it was way too top heavy and unable to even carry his weight without capsizing. From the looks of it some professionals stepped in to help him out on the second go around, probably out of pity and concern for his general health and well-being more than anything. Good luck to him, sitting in a bathtub in the middle of the pacific for weeks doesn't seem like a fun endeavor. 

Idea for new TV reality series:  "Chub Club One Design Race":  Rimas, Jen Apel, fish food and this guy all race around the world on strict one design "Chubby Girl" vessels.  Will need to work out a way to fit the on board reporters in the vessel but I think it can be done.

• Like 5

He has already done way too much drifting in the midst of a busy shipping area. Looks like he has AIS, but how does he even get out of the way without wind?

With a hull speed of 2 knots how do we know when he's drifting or sailing?

• Like 4

So what's the over/under of this endeavor compared to Yrvind's being a success? 

You'd sorta hope that one advantage of having a tiny 9-ft boat is you wouldn't need the expense of a Travelift to launch/haul it. So that seems like a design brief fail right there.

I'd be less worried about death and more about a confused mola mola trying to mate with my boat.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, krikkitman said:

You'd sorta hope that one advantage of having a tiny 9-ft boat is you wouldn't need the expense of a Travelift to launch/haul it. So that seems like a design brief fail right there.

Did you see the size of those TravelLift slings? They were certainly covering their bases.

23 hours ago, psycho tiller said:

I think that was Webb Chiles' point in his journal entry today to which I must agree. This is a drift of endurance not sailing.

• Like 1

Why did he bag the A frame mast setup? 

Too much windage aloft?

On 9/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, psycho tiller said:

Correction: 4 kt.

Also 4th mode.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, alphafb552 said:

This one has a bit of Hotrod about it. You know things like clueless design and poor construction. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:43 AM, psycho tiller said:

Idea for new TV reality series:  "Chub Club One Design Race":  Rimas, Jen Apel, fish food and this guy all race around the world on strict one design "Chubby Girl" vessels.  Will need to work out a way to fit the on board reporters in the vessel but I think it can be done.

Guy La douche can fit in anywhere. He is like the wind.

• Like 1

Well designed "barrel boats" are surprisingly seaworthy. This guy has sailed all the way from Brittany to Tahiti! OK his is bigger (about 12 feet)

And yes you need the scow bow as longitudinal stability limits your speed on such a short boat!!!

• Like 2

I just hope he remembered to bring a frying pan along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Well designed "barrel boats" are surprisingly seaworthy. This guy has sailed all the way from Brittany to Tahiti! OK his is bigger (about 12 feet)

And yes you need the scow bow as longitudinal stability limits your speed on such a short boat!!!

This guy circumnavigated over 30yrs ago in an 11’ boat & he didn’t need an ugly bow to do it. https://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/moreton/sailor-serge-testa-marks-30-years-since-he-sailed-around-the-world-in-a-tiny-boat/news-story/756bbfa17e04a45b6ab64a1aca378176

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 5:37 AM, RImike said:

It is covered in here.

On the Origin of Species Illustrated by Charles Darwin | 9781693253096 |  Booktopia

• Like 3

On 9/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Because ist theire...........                         :)

Mallory.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:37 PM, RImike said:

Some people are just poets and don't need bean counters to rate their success.

Often, to amuse themselves, the crewmen
Catch albatros, vast sea-birds,
Which follow, indolent companions of the voyage,
The ship gliding on the bitter gulfs.

Hardly have they put them on deck,
When these kings of the azure, clumsy and ashamed,
Pitifully let go their great white wings,
Like oars dragging alongside them.

This winged voyager, how awkward and weak he is!
He, once so beautiful, he's so funny and ugly!
One teases his beak with a pipestem,
Another mimes, limping, the cripple that once flew!

The Poet is like this prince of the clouds
Who haunts the tempest and laughs at the archer;
Exiled on the ground, in the midst of jeers,
His giant wings keep him from walking.

Translated from French, so obviously you lose a lot of the aesthetics of the text (as you would if you were to translate a poem from English to French)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'albatros_(poem)

^^^^ I resemble that remark

on topic : is there enough space to store Lil Murray in the bilges ? inquiring minds ....

5 hours ago, Albatros said:

^^^^ I resemble that remark

on topic : is there enough space to store Lil Murray in the bilges ? inquiring minds ....

He may have to be “disassembled” first. Is that OK for you?

What doesChubby Girl and a moped have in common?

They're both a lot of fun to ride until your friends see you on one. (Cue drum roll) Ba dum tss!

• Like 1

His latest blog entry shows he's actually made some progress but at the price of sea sickness (who would'a thunk that would happen in a 9ft boat offshore?).  It appears as though he bypassed the 'I feel so sick I hope I don't die' stage and went straight to the 'I hope I die' portion of the festivities.  On the other hand he did benefit from not seeing the presidential debate so he's starting to look like the smart one.  Not afraid to admit myself I'd give my life to unsee the debate right now.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

His latest blog entry shows he's actually made some progress but at the price of sea sickness (who would'a thunk that would happen in a 9ft boat offshore?).  It appears as though he bypassed the 'I feel so sick I hope I don't die' stage and went straight to the 'I hope I die' portion of the festivities.  On the other hand he did benefit from not seeing the presidential debate so he's starting to look like the smart one.  Not afraid to admit myself I'd give my life to unsee the debate right now.

About that debate....

Debate.jpg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

His latest blog entry shows he's actually made some progress but at the price of sea sickness (who would'a thunk that would happen in a 9ft boat offshore?).  It appears as though he bypassed the 'I feel so sick I hope I don't die' stage and went straight to the 'I hope I die' portion of the festivities.

Small boat which is light with a very sharp chine is going to be jerky. He needs to raise a cannon bottle of water at masthead level!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 1:56 AM, alphafb552 said:

Looks like somebody salvaged a chunk of the Flyin' Hawaiian.

On top of bouncing around in a bathtub and puking his guts out all day he apparently broke a motor mount and had to lash it to the side of the boat to keep it from going overboard. Oof, doesn't look like he's enjoying himself out there. 

the out board only has enough fuel for the dock to golden gat and then into the marina in Hawaii, waste of weight

• Like 2

2 hours ago, benytoe said:

the out board only has enough fuel for the dock to golden gat and then into the marina in Hawaii, waste of weight

But it saved a bunch of money on not having to call a harbor tug.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PB2207 said:

On top of bouncing around in a bathtub and puking his guts out all day he apparently broke a motor mount and had to lash it to the side of the boat to keep it from going overboard. Oof, doesn't look like he's enjoying himself out there. 

Seems like the ride would improve if he cut it loose? 

On 9/29/2020 at 5:26 AM, Cristoforo said:

' Although I have lined the inside walls with 1-gallon plastic jugs, there is no other designed internal positive displacement,  so if the boat fills with water, it will very likely sink'. 

RFDA3683.jpg

71.-Bow-Storage-early-pic.jpg

Looks like he has the water thing down.

I think I'd rather sail a Mariner across the pacific. But a 505, now that would be epic.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:39 AM, Borax Johnson said:

That is what sculling oars are for!

At the speed (or lack thereof) that he's going, not sure there's a chance in hell he'll get out in the track of Marie

2 minutes ago, hdra said:

At the speed (or lack thereof) that he's going, not sure there's a chance in hell he'll get out in the track of Marie

F u u u u u u u cccc k.

Just to make thing extra fun, he also just slammed his hatch on his sat-phone, so he only has one way communications at this point via his yellow brick - can't receive anymore.

But, on the fortunate side, doing only 40 miles a day Marie is going to be long gone before he even gets near it - even at 120 hours, assuming he can continue making his blistering pace of 40-50 miles a day, he's 670nm or so from the forecast location of Marie, which is forecast to be a remnant low by then.  Might see some weird swell, but should be just fine on the waves.  Really he should start heading more southerly now as Marie is running off to the NW - no point in staying North to avoid a storm that's going that way.

Why does that famous MIke Tyson quote keep coming to mind when I think about this voyage?

"I don't understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons.  They don't bother no one."  (Oops, not that one)

"I ain't the same person I was when I bit that guys ear off"  (Wait, not that one either)

"Sometimes I put on a ski mask and dress in old clothes, go out on the streets and beg for quarters." (Damn, not that one either)

"I'm not mother Teresa, but I'm no Charles Manson either"  (Crap, that's wrong too)

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth"  (That's the one!)

• Like 2

He kinda sounds like he's getting in a  hurry to get to Hawaii,  reminds me of the movie Airplane: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up cocaine," but in this case, "looks like I picked the wrong boat to hustle to Hawaii while seasick."

One must wish him the best.. looks like he is turning back (if that is possible)

His latest (2020-10-03T17:34:28.000Z  ) report is that:

Large wave crAshed over boat and broke  main  sail. and caused hatch to leak.  I returning to Santa Cruz to make repairs. Should be there in about 4 days . On heading 66 magnetic and about 153 miles to Santa Cruz.

Many waves have been crashing over boat today.  

Must wish him luck

• Like 4

I hope he meets a nice chubby girl in Santa Cruz with a speedy wetsnail that can take him on adventures in safety and comfort.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, Borax Johnson said:

Harbor Tug?  A 13 foot Boston Whaler could tow that thing out....

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Harbor Tug?  A 13 foot Boston Whaler could tow that thing out....

Sea Tow memberships is like $140/year  but i don't think they cover middle of Pacific  

8 hours ago, h20man said:

One must wish him the best.. looks like he is turning back (if that is possible)

His latest (2020-10-03T17:34:28.000Z  ) report is that:

Must wish him luck

I'm glad he's turning back. I was starting to feel like we were rapidly moving from a really entertaining story into a very dangerous situation.  Broken motor mount, severe sea sickness, hurricanes, broken and nonfunctioning sat phone, torn mainsail and leaking hatches all in the first few days of a 3-4 month long journey was not looking like a great start.

• Like 3

If you self quarantine for 3 months on a boat I suspect that would suffice.

The Coasties just need to go out and pick him up...

sequoiahis.jpg

• Like 1

"Many waves have been crashing over boat today.  "

Who'd ta hunk of encountering waves in an ocean!?

Glad he is turning around!

On heading 66 magnetic and about 153 miles to Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz? Has he studied the WX? Maybe San Diego, Mexico or the some island. What does the tracker show? 

I mean, it's pretty awesome.  I would love to see a polar file for this bad boy.  2.5 knots upwind tacking through what, 120?

Gotta hand it to the guy, that’s a gnarly undertaking even if he is turning back.  I’ve heard he’s already planned his next adventure.  He’ll be climbing Mt. Everest only wearing a Speedo, blindfolded, walking backwards all the while flogging himself over the head with a hammer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psycho tiller said:

Gotta hand it to the guy, that’s a gnarly undertaking even if he is turning back.  I’ve heard he’s already planned his next adventure.  He’ll be climbing Mt. Everest only wearing a Speedo, blindfolded, walking backwards all the while flogging himself over the head with a hammer.  

You forgot to mention altitude sickness 

• Like 1

"That could have been dangerous" is a fucking understatement, I would say climbing aboard that floating coffin and heading out the Gate is dangerous, calling Darwin Awards, anybody out there?

19 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

calling Darwin Awards, anybody out there?

Ime am notte siurre theire is a centralle monitorreng statione or contacte pointe foirre DAs.                                                  :)