Sign in to follow this  
badlatitude

2020 Census to End Oct 5 Despite Court Order

Puzzling

Source: Houston Chronicle

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross says the 2020 census will end Oct. 5, despite a federal judge's ruling last week that the head count of every U.S. resident should continue through the end of October, according to a tweet posted on the Census Bureau's website Monday. 

The tweet said the ability for people to self-respond to the census questionnaire and the door-knocking phase when census takers go to homes that haven't yet responded is ending Oct. 5. The announcement came as a virtual hearing was being held in San Jose, California, as a follow-up to U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh's preliminary injunction. Koh asked federal government attorneys during Monday's hearing to provide documents on how the new decision to end the head count on Oct. 5 was made. The judge asked, “A one sentence tweet? Are you saying that is enough reason to establish decision-making? A one sentence tweet?" 

Koh said in her ruling last Thursday that the shortened schedule ordered by President Donald Trump’s administration likely would produce inaccurate results that would last a decade. She sided with civil rights groups and local governments that had sued the U.S. Census Bureau and the U.S. Department of Commerce, which oversees the statistical agency, arguing that minorities and others in hard-to-count communities would be missed if the counting ends this month. 

During hearings, federal government attorneys argued that the head count needed to end Sept. 30 in order to meet a Dec. 31 deadline for handing in figures used for deciding how many congressional seats each state gets in a process known as apportionment.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/article/US-official-2020-census-to-end-Oct-5-despite-15604143.php  

Gosh! Imagine that! The Potus and his minions trying to diminish minority representation!:rolleyes:

This is going to cost us, the taxpayers, millions. Because the census will be invalidated. We're gonna have to do it over again. 

Yawn... just another thing Donald fucked up.

16 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Gosh! Imagine that! The Potus and his minions trying to diminish minority representation!:rolleyes:

It takes some big cajones to defy the order of a Federal Judge. I would have a very good laugh if they put Wilbur Ross in jail for contempt.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

It takes some big cajones to defy the order of a Federal Judge. I would have a very good laugh if they put Wilbur Ross in jail for contempt.

And the rest of the noodnicks.

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

And the rest of the noodnicks.

I have to wonder, why bother with appointing anyone to the courts, if what they say doesn't matter?

We have already seen that the judiciary has repeatedly decided among with congress to NOT exercise their right to throw people in jail..... When those people are the ruling elite.  As a result congress and the judiciary have both allowed their power to be eroded.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

I have to wonder, why bother with appointing anyone to the courts, if what they say doesn't matter?

Nothing matters. If you get away with it, it's not illegal.

It’s legal.   The new Supreme Court owes fealty to Trump.    They will back him every time.   He is the law.  

14 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

We have already seen that the judiciary has repeatedly decided among with congress to NOT exercise their right to throw people in jail..... When those people are the ruling elite.  As a result congress and the judiciary have both allowed their power to be eroded.

Agreed.... and it's well past time to reclaim that power.

I don't understand why a bunch of people weren't given the chance to work on their stripey sun tan when they defied Congress' subpoenas.

- DSK

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Agreed.... and it's well past time to reclaim that power.

I don't understand why a bunch of people weren't given the chance to work on their stripey sun tan when they defied Congress' subpoenas.

- DSK

Something about taking too long in the courts if I remember correctly.  Under the "leadership" of the Trump, divisions of government have been weaponized against each other instead of cooperating....reminds me of a place I worked were some really misguided CEO  decided to make the VP's compete against each other instead of cooperate.  About bankrupted the company before the board got rid of his ass.  Instead of being a misguided management philosophy, it is designed to protect Trump no matter what damage it does to the country.

• Like 1