Wet Spreaders

Marriage Lesson # 5067

1 hour ago, chinabald said:

Years ago I bought my wife a small tool kit. The cheap kind that all the tools clip into the plastic shell so you can see where everything goes. It’s kept in a broom closet in the kitchen. So it’s far more convenient then going to the basement or the barn to grab one of my tools. The kids knew where it was as well. Plus when the kids went to college a small tool kit was purchased for them. That way no one would “borrow” dads screw driver so we can fix something in the dorm. 

Ive never had an issue with broken or lost tools. At least not any that she has broken or lost. 

This is a good solution.  

Even if you have to replace the kit annually.

Look at it as a consumable item and whatever you do, throw out the leftovers on replacement day.   Nothing worse than piles and piles of crap tools.

Crap tools have their place for sure, but don't keep buckets of them.  Its really hard to throw tools in the metal recycle bin, or goodwill.  Get rid of all those allen wrenches as well that come with "some assembly required" items.  You will never use them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windward said:

This is a good solution.  

Even if you have to replace the kit annually.

Look at it as a consumable item and whatever you do, throw out the leftovers on replacement day.   Nothing worse than piles and piles of crap tools.

Crap tools have their place for sure, but don't keep buckets of them.  Its really hard to throw tools in the metal recycle bin, or goodwill.  Get rid of all those allen wrenches as well that come with "some assembly required" items.  You will never use them.

if you are part of a club, take the leftovers and get a cheap toolbox and leave at the club..  someone wants to borrow a tool, direct them to the toolbox..

• Like 3

We had a pink, cheap toolbox in pantry.  Ironically, I found myself using those pliers and screw drivers more than I care to admit.  It was just so convenient for those random little tasks.

28 minutes ago, BOI Guy said:

The Lawnmower was pretty good at finding tools that went missing

The ones that went missing the last time you fixed the mower after it ran over a tool - right?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The ones that went missing the last time you fixed the mower after it ran over a tool - right?

Ooo....  harshness.

Its never the tools that get run over for this sort of job, it is the leftover "extra" parts they always provide for mechanical devices.  Random bolt, washer or thingie.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:22 PM, atoyot said:

I had a Boy Scout fund-raiser car wash do that on my 10-yr-old minivan. While talking to the adult leader, I noticed the water dripping from one kid's hand was the exact light Dodge blue as my car.  

Heck, I was in Scouting and time for an example of civility. We parted on an apology, a lesson on clearcoat and car paint, and my suggestion that if they do that to someone in a newer car,  they're going to have a problem. 

Back when my younger son was in high school there was some sort of combined squad car wash.  Cheerleaders, boys volleyball, tennis, etc. my kid was a VB player so he was working the event.  Drove over to see how it was going.  My ride at the time was a Porsche 911.  The kids so wanted to wash my car.  I gave them $20 to stay away from the car.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Back when my younger son was in high school there was some sort of combined squad car wash.  Cheerleaders, boys volleyball, tennis, etc. my kid was a VB player so he was working the event.  Drove over to see how it was going.  My ride at the time was a Porsche 911.  The kids so wanted to wash my car.  I gave them $20 to stay away from the car.

There so much between the lines here that I can barely read the text!

Great idea, this will help a lot of marriages out there and cement new friendships among men.

• Like 5

My wife's a journeyman cabinetmaker.  I borrow her chisels. 

I know I said journerman.  

Journeyperson sounds ridiculous.  So does foreperson.  My wife told me. 

I have two sons, 6 and 8... My wife is the least of my worries regarding tools or whatever other item I own.

They can lose, break, destroy or just make disappear pretty much anything no matter its size or weight.

her indoors has pink tools ....

• Like 1

probably not but they are admired more than the sharp usefull ones ....

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, Windward said:

Ooo....  harshness.

Its never the tools that get run over for this sort of job, it is the leftover "extra" parts they always provide for mechanical devices.  Random bolt, washer or thingie.

We used to say that left over, uneccesary parts proved that we were smarter than the manufacturer!! :lol:

My yellow lab would walk away with whatever tool you sat down, fixing a fence ? take 4 tape measures and 3 hammers, he could only carry the skil saw till he came to the end of the cord. He's the reason I didnt invest in cordless tools for home use.

Wife would sit in a lawn chair with a glass of bingo and laugh at both of us. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hobot said:

Great idea, this will help a lot of marriages out there and cement new friendships among men.

ROTFLMAO!!   They have a bunch of other videos, but this one is the best, so far....

4 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

But does she know how to use them?.....

No-one who knows how to use tools would be seen using pink tools.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:44 PM, Shortforbob said:

exactly.

It's a funny thing.

40 years ago, "real men" didn't cook. Now they're the biggest watchers of cooking shows and take pride in whipping up some over elaborate roast. Women OTOH don't seem quite so engaged in the formerly manly arts of woodturning, biscuit joining or even changing a tyre.

Disappointing.

There's a way to sort of balance it out. 

Yesterday on boat, I'm doing all the work,  she is relaxing.  Gusting 20, overpowered  hitting 7.4kts GPS on the irwin 30 in flat water.  I give her a choice,  we can go back in now so I can cook up some steaks and mash (kitchen is dirty),       or we keep sailing and she cleans the kitchen today,  and I cook steaks and scallops,  roast veggies,  sauces etc. 

We are having steak tonight. If I can get the ibuprofen to kick in more.  I cook,  she cleans. That's the agreement. 

54yrs and I feel like I'm 65 today.  I need some of that joy juice orange stain is pumped up on now. 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Is this 1970?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My wife's a journeyman cabinetmaker.  I borrow her chisels. 

I know I said journerman.  

Journeyperson sounds ridiculous.  So does foreperson.  My wife told me. 

Does she use he/his/him as preferred gender nouns? NTTAWWT

(nope, not 1970)

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I know a job site guy who spray painted badly all of his dewalt tools and hand tools pink.  That way when ever someone borrowed them he was able to find them easily. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chester said:

Is this 1970?

Again? Fuck, I hated 1970 the first couple of times around.

42 minutes ago, peragrin said:

I know a job site guy who spray painted badly all of his dewalt tools and hand tools pink.  That way when ever someone borrowed them he was able to find them easily. 

All my shovels, rakes, and hoes etc painted orange on them somewhere. Kids did a lot of volunteer work where that stuff was needed. It all came back.

3 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

There's a way to sort of balance it out. 

Yesterday on boat, I'm doing all the work,  she is relaxing.  Gusting 20, overpowered  hitting 7.4kts GPS on the irwin 30 in flat water.  I give her a choice,  we can go back in now so I can cook up some steaks and mash (kitchen is dirty),       or we keep sailing and she cleans the kitchen today,  and I cook steaks and scallops,  roast veggies,  sauces etc. 

We are having steak tonight. If I can get the ibuprofen to kick in more.  I cook,  she cleans. That's the agreement. 

54yrs and I feel like I'm 65 today.  I need some of that joy juice orange stain is pumped up on now. 

So you got to play Franklin on the boat and Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen while she got to be the scullery assistant.

Her choice.

Still disappointing

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I know a Plumber with a pink truck.

She's a shit plumber, but never the less.

I wouldn't be seen dead with a pink power drill but Pink has now been marketed to mean empowerment.:rolleyes:

I Distain 

Pink means Barbie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crankcall said:

My yellow lab would walk away with whatever tool you sat down, fixing a fence ? take 4 tape measures and 3 hammers, he could only carry the skil saw till he came to the end of the cord. He's the reason I didnt invest in cordless tools for home use.

Wife would sit in a lawn chair with a glass of bingo and laugh at both of us. 

you don't think the dog might have been bribed :D 

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Pink means Barbie.

exactly, 

I haven't kept up, but to they have positive role model Barbie yet?

A little bit of thread drift here, it's about keeping the gears greased at home so the wife's happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

So you got to play Franklin on the boat and Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen while she got to be the scullery assistant.

Her choice.

Still disappointing

It is disappointing.  But from her perspective 1 hour cleaning beats 2 to 3 hours cooking a feast.

Then Hal bought a sailboat and turned into Heisenberg.

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Pink means Barbie.

Pink used to mean royal prince.  As the king was in red or purple.  There fore light red (pink) was for their heirs.

Colors shift meaning. Don't get hung up on dogmatic ideals

My wife really enjoyed the one shop class she took in High School.  I'm going to encourage her to explore woodworking when she retires, since I do most of the sewing.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, charis said:

We had a pink, cheap toolbox in pantry.  Ironically, I found myself using those pliers and screw drivers more than I care to admit.  It was just so convenient for those random little tasks.

you NEVER do that.  NEVER!!!

They want something fixed.

they are making a lot of noise about the 6th or 7th time they ask you to fix it.

You go over and explain how difficult that is going to be to fix it.

Then you say Hey, I got an idea.

You go out and get the correct tool along with half a dozen other tools, 2 of which you have purchased in the past 2 months.

You start to work on the problem, but drag it out like a union guy trying to get some overtime spending money.

She shakes her head and goes away leaving you with the problem.

You fix the problem, get a beer and announce success with great fanfare.

You credit the fact you had the correct tools to get the job done quickly, and explain how you saved half a mortgage payment by not having to call in a tradesperson.

You have now established an alibi for the next next time you want to purchase another tool.

None of that "why do you buy all those tools?   You never use them" arguments.

Especially important when they start to catch on and hit you with "Another sander?  How many of those damn things have you got?  And you are bitching about buying a rug cleaner.."

Uh, 6 or 7 powered sanders.  But they each have a use.

you use her tools and you are under cutting your own arguments.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Especially important when they start to catch on and hit you with "Another sander?  How many of those damn things have you got?  And you are bitching about buying a rug cleaner.."

Uh, 6 or 7 powered sanders.  But they each have a use.

I have about 9 angle grinders. More or less.

Nobody at all cares. My GF certainly doesn't. She bought me a Makita right angle 18V battery drill for my birthday because I didn't have one and expressed the thought that it'd be nice to have one out on the boat for those fiddly tight jobs. She even got the decent sized battery to go with it.

OTOH if I ever need to use her Makita drill at her house, I know for absolute certainty that the battery will be flat, so I just take all my own tools (and don't tell her about the stash I've tucked away in her garage).

FKT

I once showed my wife how to trim the end off a piece of wood using a radial arm saw. 

To her, it is the tool to be used anytime you need to "the trim the end" of anything.  Anything being curtain rods, window blinds, small metal components, plastic, .... whatever just needs a trim. 

She's my best friend, so if she is happy doing this stuff, I am happy.  

6 hours ago, Bugsy said:

I once showed my wife how to trim the end off a piece of wood using a radial arm saw. 

To her, it is the tool to be used anytime you need to "the trim the end" of anything.  Anything being curtain rods, window blinds, small metal components, plastic, .... whatever just needs a trim. 

She's my best friend, so if she is happy doing this stuff, I am happy.  

Carbide blades are a cheap price to pay for marital accord.

And fewer "Honey, can you..." requests.

• Like 3