Wet Spreaders

Marriage Lesson # 5067

We need a coffee table. My wife finds one online for $1500. It's particle board crap, in my opinion. I could make a better one from real wood that would not look like it escaped from Ikea.

"Babe - I could make that".

"No you can't, you're so crap at woodwork you can't even buy screwdrivers that don't break."

Eh? What broken screwdrivers? 

So I went on a hunt for my screwdrivers. They are all fine. What's not fine is my set of fine chisels. The tips are cracked and utterly fucked up. I wonder....

So I just found out it was my fault. Apparently, men created pickle jars that can't be opened by women. I'm a man so that's my fault. The only good solution to getting a pickle out of a jar is to attempt to pry the cap off with a knife. However, knives are made by men, and I'm a man and so I managed to fuck up the knife manufacture and made it too bendy. So obvously the best idea was to use a better pry bar, like a screwdriver, or something that closely resembles a screwdriver. But I'm an idiot there too, because clearly I made the "screwdrivers" too brittle to pry the lid off a pickle jar. She knows this because she tried several of the best knives and all of my chisels and the experimental outcome was identical in each case.

Aaaaaagggghhh!!!!

• Like 4

Amazon.com: ATX CUSTOM SIGNS - Funny Warning Sign - Don't Touch My Tools!!!  It's not Worth Your Life! Metal Warning Sign - Size 8 x 12: Home & Kitchen

• Like 4

My mother once asked me to help her while she was attempting to dis-assemble a deck chair. Big brass fittings and Maple wood frame. So I came down out of wherever I was to help... And nearly had a heart attack. She was useing my best German steel 3/8" chisel as a screwdriver! I nearly never forgave her for that. Her response? "If it looks like a screwdriver, but isn't, you should label it!" My response"Keep your hands off my tools! If you need something ask!"

• Like 3

I bought a set of cheap Lowes chisels and leave them bright and naked in the tool drawer. The german ones? they're in their own wood case hidden under the sandpaper.

• Like 3

So WS, what happened next?  Did your reaction lead to #5068?

• Like 1

I have four sets of chisels, and a wife smart enough to ask.

I have three sets, and a wife that knows what a chisel is, and what's it used for. She even has asked me once "I need a T25 screwdriver to disassemble the dryer to clean out the lint."  Only once, as I showed here where the torx drivers live. She does have a blank spot when it comes to tin snips vs pruning shears. (That was a $20 tin snip left out in the garden. Now it's a pile of rust....)

Occasionally, she'll repurpose a tool, like a dead blow mallet for pounding pork chops thin, but that's ok - it's a mallet. It's supposed to pound stuff. I use the same tool for the same purpose if I want thin chicken or pork. (We do, however, cover it in saran wrap...)

However, much like some spouses, when the kids were little, much destroying and losing of tools. 

At least with chisels, you can fix em. (Until they get too short or if the backs are too gouged)

I found a lovely set of tools. Screwdrivers, hammer, pliers and crescent wrench. All with lovely floral print on the handles. 

Bought two sets and stuck on in the tool drawer in the kitchen and one in her gardening kit.

Now, if I could just get get to our the tOe measure back when she's done....

WL

• Like 2

wife bent every tip on our set of Wusthof kitchen knives, halfway through bending them all I stated that there was a screw driver or even our table knives which are unbendable but no, had to bend every single one. I am woman, hear me roar!

• Like 1

Of course, we all grew up in a culture that sent girls to Home-Ec and boys to Shop and we wonder why this happens.

Solution:  Go shopping together, get what's needed.  What kitchen doesn't have a jar opener or a proper junk drawer with a screwdriver or two, pliers and tape measure and such.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

wife bent every tip on our set of Wusthof kitchen knives, halfway through bending them all I stated that there was a screw driver or even our table knives which are unbendable but no, had to bend every single one. I am woman, hear me roar!

Ditto . . . wtf!?!?! The other thing my wife likes to do is smack heavy pots and such upside down on our corian countertops to try to get stuck on bits out and then gets mad that the countertop is defective because its chipped.

• Like 1

oh my wife used to ruin every pan she used except my solid aluminum Calphalon commercial with the anodized finish (30 years and going strong) or the cast iron. She has gotten much better on that but will still not clean the outside of a pan and then will use them again. We are working on that.

My wife doesn't ruin my tools (that's what the kids are for) but she has never in her life put a tool back where it came from. I've been married for nearly 30 years and long ago decided that this is not a hill worth dying on. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, IStream said:

My wife doesn't ruin my tools (that's what the kids are for) but she has never in her life put a tool back where it came from. I've been married for nearly 30 years and long ago decided that this is not a hill worth dying on. 

Oh, of that there's no question.

There are also what I'd call "consumable" tools.

Utility knives/boxcutters are an example. With covid, etc, everything comes in a cardboard box. Too many for the boxes to just fit in the recycle container. You need to cut/stack them. So I buy the cutters in packs of 3. (and yes, a set of blades, I like the quick change cutters myself, hate the old utility knife screwed ones)

If I used it last, it's in the top left drawer of the mechanics tool box.

If SWMBO used it, it might be on the workbench, or maybe near the epoxy, but over by the chopsaw is an equal possibility. Or missing.

I think we go through 2-3 / year.  I do occasionally find them out in the garden, or, rather, little rust balls that likely were a box-cutter.

when me and my wife met she had been divorced and living by herself for a decent amount of years, enough for her to have her own set of tools. i don't take hers, she doesn't take mine. and we keep things this way...

• Like 2

I have the same "environmental saturation" strategy with screwdrivers. I put a bunch of sacrificial cheapies around the house like flares and chaff to distract and protect the good ones I keep in the shop. 

Aircraft flaring gun

• Like 9

I could go on :)

I cannot convince her that the green scrubby on the sponge can only be used on the Calphalon aluminum and cast iron pans(no soap) and not on anything else inside the house!

Stainless stove backsplash? Scratched beyond repair.

Does anything with enamel or porcelain still have a factory finish? No, green scrubby and Comet has ruined the tub and the sinks. She does it when I am not at home. She wonders why they have become so hard to clean and get dirty so fast. I explain that she has caused all the surfaces to change from shiny smooth surfaces just needing at worst vinegar and mostly just citrus degreaser to clean into rough micro pitted surfaces needing far more energy to clean. She does not believe me. Still love her though.

13 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I cannot convince her that the green scrubby on the sponge can only be used on the Calphalon aluminum and cast iron pans(no soap) and not on anything else inside the house!

Does anything with enamel or porcelain still have a factory finish? No, green scrubby and Comet has ruined the tub and the sinks. She does it when I am not at home. She wonders why they have become so hard to clean and get dirty so fast. I explain that she has caused all the surfaces to change from shiny smooth surfaces just needing at worst vinegar and mostly just citrus degreaser to clean into rough micro pitted surfaces needing far more energy to clean. She does not believe me. Still love her though.

I saw a guy wash a new car with comet once.....

If it makes you feel any better, the teflon pans in my house have a mean life expectancy of ~6 months. Everyone in the house seems to understand that you can't use metal utensils with them but they don't/won't understand that high heat + dry pan = dead coating.

2 minutes ago, IStream said:

If it makes you feel any better, the teflon pans in my house have a mean life expectancy of ~6 months. Everyone in the house seems to understand that you can't use metal utensils with them but they don't/won't understand that high heat + dry pan = dead coating.

disposable items, as soon as egg begins to stick with lube in the pan it goes away

as soon as you admit and accept the facts and just replace them it sets you free

My Mom was pretty handy with tools. My Dad was capable, but rarely did anything because Mom was one or two steps ahead all the time.

We inherited her lake house and there is a main house (no bedrooms), a bunkhouse (4 Bedrooms), the Outback (1 bedroom), the shack (workshop and storage) and the Shed (Gardening stuff and deer food). Being a former pilot, Mom knew the value of redundancy.  Whatever tool you need is probably in whatever building you are in!  

Best of all, she didn't really look like the "Handy" sort of Mom. (Granted this was about 55 years ago)

ndw navy league.JPG

• Like 10

Had a GF ages ago, she used her father’s beautiful 40cm Mauser caliper as a pipe wrench. Didn’t last ...

8 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

My Mom was pretty handy with tools. My Dad was capable, but rarely did anything because Mom was one or two steps ahead all the time.

We inherited her lake house and there is a main house (no bedrooms), a bunkhouse (4 Bedrooms), the Outback (1 bedroom), the shack (workshop and storage) and the Shed (Gardening stuff and deer food). Being a former pilot, Mom knew the value of redundancy.  Whatever tool you need is probably in whatever building you are in!  

Best of all, she didn't really look like the "Handy" sort of Mom. (Granted this was about 55 years ago)

ndw navy league.JPG

Your Dad got a keeper and it looks like he knows it!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

disposable items, as soon as egg begins to stick with lube in the pan it goes away

as soon as you admit and accept the facts and just replace them it sets you free

Oh, I know they're disposable but it hurts knowing I could get 4X the life out of them if they weren't abused...

We have spare tools in the house, including a pink Makita 12v drill in a pretty case they made just for this purpose.

But the best solution is one of those small coloured multi tools, it stays in her bag and comes out every time she needs something.

i get to open all the jars and stufff...

my wife has her own set of nice tools, including a good set of chisels, and she knows how to use them.

Yeah, kids.

We probably went through 2 pairs of kitchen shears a month during my kids formative years.  Once when we found a pair in one of the climbing trees in the backyard (yes, like the Highlights Magazine Hidden Objects feature) we decided it was time to put this to an end to this nonsense.  We put the shears on a chain stapled to the butcher block knife rack.

Problem solved.  

Ok take it from a guy with (almost)45 years in.

Does it f'n matter?  We piss away more money than most of us confess on a sport that is anything but cheap.

"Honey that table looks great.  I love the way it goes with the couch"  

Then go to the boat, go for a sail and have a beer/whiskey/whatever.

• Like 4

you should see our long extension cords,   she likes to use the hedge trimmers  and manages to cut  the cords almost everytime...  they keep getting shorter or have patches in the middle of them..

My wife is scared of sharp tools so all my chisels are razor sharp in their own cabinet and I keep the kitchen knives sharp too.  Ditto the hand planes.  She does let me make furniture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you should see our long extension cords,   she likes to use the hedge trimmers  and manages to cut  the cords almost everytime...  they keep getting shorter or have patches in the middle of them..

No, we shouldn't see your long extension cords.  As noted above, it doesn't fuckin' matter.  Get a grip.  

Or should we ask your wife about all the stupid shit you do?

there is nothing scarier than a 59 y/o woman on a ladder with electric hedge trimmer leaning to cut the hedge, can't get here to not do it

I told her if she falls and and gets brain damage, I reserve the right to retire immediately and ride my motorcycle around the world and go heli-skiing until I run out of money or get too old whichever comes first.

5 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

there is nothing scarier than a 59 y/o woman on a ladder with electric hedge trimmer leaning to cut the hedge, can't get here to not do it

I told her if she falls and and gets brain damage, I reserve the right to retire immediately and ride my motorcycle around the world and go heli-skiing until I run out of money or get too old whichever comes first.

Just got to find a gardener who will do it right before she thinks it's needed.

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Just got to find a gardener who will do it right before she thinks it's needed.

she hates to spend money, HATES it but I will try again. We got close once :)

9 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

get her something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNS5F9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61TDmAvZOTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, they aren't ergonomic and they're no Stihl but if the awkward trimming job is occasional they can be a lifesaver. Literally.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

she hates to spend money, HATES it but I will try again. We got close once :)

Broken bones ain't cheap!

she shattered her heal falling off a ladder a  few years ago, surgery and rehab a bitch but she can still ski which is testament to how tough she is

Dr said that as soon as you hit 55 you should give away all your ladders and hire people who can bring one to your house. Have not done it yet.

6 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

she shattered her heal falling off a ladder a  few years ago, surgery and rehab a bitch but she can still ski which is testament to how tough she is

Dr said that as soon as you hit 55 you should give away all your ladders and hire people who can bring one to your house. Have not done it yet.

I like that rule. 

• Like 1

Just say yes dear it’s my fault and you are right.Problem solved and do what you want.:D

• Like 3

I'm a man so that's my fault.

All you needed to say.

6 hours ago, BobJ said:

So WS, what happened next?  Did your reaction lead to #5068?

I twisted the top off the jar for her and went to my shop, alone, to grind new edges on the chisels. That was about 8 hours ago and I'm now calm enough to come back inside for dinner. The chisels, screwdrivers, set squares, and anything else that might be mis-identifed as a pickle pry bar (or picture nail hammer - another story), are in a nice new plywood cabinet, with a padlock.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm a man so that's my fault.

All you needed to say.

Nope - didn't need to say it. It's apparently obvious without saying anything.

2 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

with a padlock.

;)

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Know of a guy who had his adorable 8 year old daughter wash his car with a steel pad because well it had tar in spots.

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

When I used to teach trauma classes, I had a trauma surgeon that I would frequently use. He had two rules.

#1. If you're over 50 sell your ladder

#2. Once you reach 50, never go in water colder than your age plus 20.

WL

• Like 2

My wife was an OBGYN and can rebuild an engine through the exhaust pipe. She knows tools but has a difficult time putting them away. I think I need to hire a nurse. You know, a good looking nurse.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

No, we shouldn't see your long extension cords.  As noted above, it doesn't fuckin' matter.  Get a grip.  

Or should we ask your wife about all the stupid shit you do?

go back to your house on union..

house boat.jpg

dishonor.jpg

4 hours ago, IStream said:

nah, i have three sets of hedge clippers, i keep them all super sharp,  told her it's a good work out for the arms...   it was always funny her walking up with said hedge trimmers and a 3 foot piece of cord hanging off of it...    I hide the two cords that I use..

as far as using hand tools, I don't care,  I don't spend a lot of money on them and tell her when she's done just to toss them on the workbench... and she doesn't touch the powertools..    i save my money and spend it on my hobbies..

36 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

My wife was an OBGYN and can rebuild an engine through the exhaust pipe. She knows tools but has a difficult time putting them away. I think I need to hire a nurse. You know, a good looking nurse.....

What could go wrong?

The twins use my tool all the time. No complaints 

6 hours ago, IStream said:

I have the same "environmental saturation" strategy with screwdrivers. I put a bunch of sacrificial cheapies around the house like flares and chaff to distract and protect the good ones I keep in the shop. 

Aircraft flaring gun

Flares and chaff, classic!

42 minutes ago, VWAP said:

The twins use my tool all the time. No complaints 

TMI my good man.

3 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Just say yes dear it’s my fault and you are right.Problem solved and do what you want.:D

Buddy of mine is the husband of a wonderful woman who is one of three sisters all very close along with their parents. Their mother is the matriarch and there are lots of full family dinners, birthdays etc at the home they grew up in. After many years of being the three son in laws one of them got t shirts for all three and the father in law. They have "OK" printed in large font on both sides. They wear them whenever they get together.

• Like 2

My wife can easily break any object or device ever created but her true superpower is her ability to instantly and inextricably tangle any sort of cord, line, chain, cable or hose.  Which happily turns out to be one of my greatest pet peeves.   Yay!

• Like 2

I found my Swedish cross peen blacksmith hammer out in the garden one time...she gave my granite surface plate to her saddlemaker to use when tooling leather, she had never seen me use it because I always put it back on the shelf to keep it safe when I was done with it, all of the German knives in the kitchen are about as sharp as butter knives, but she's scared of my Japanese knives...

3 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

That would damn near boil me. :D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mundt said:

My wife can easily break any object or device ever created but her true superpower is her ability to instantly and inextricably tangle any sort of cord, line, chain, cable or hose.  Which happily turns out to be one of my greatest pet peeves.   Yay!

My father said my maternal grandmother was so technically incompetent that she could fuck up an anvil.

• Like 3

You guys need one of these for your shop.

Tool Rules.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That would damn near boil me. :D

Especially in Celsius.

• Like 1

SWMBO is technically competent,. and could use any of the tools I have.  However she has RSI of the hands and they were weak in the first place. So I get to open any recalcitrant Items such as a jar.  That being said she does have a small tools set of her own..

When I was in Saudi one of the guys borrowed my drill set, with me using the words "make sure you use the right type of drill for what you are doing".... He gave me some remark of he knew what he was doing.... Most of the wood bits came back with their points bent and broken, where he'd tried to drill through a metal door with them..

6 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Know of a guy who had his adorable 8 year old daughter wash his car with a steel pad because well it had tar in spots.

My *Dad*, who cleaned my new car/windshield with the green side of the sponge to get the bug crap off.  

It's not a gender-specific trait, guys, and I had the grace to thank him, and suck it up. He wanted me to be able to see .. was trying to be helpful and was being considerate. Sure, it backfired, but it was done with love and that was more important.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

When I used to teach trauma classes, I had a trauma surgeon that I would frequently use. He had two rules.

#1. If you're over 50 sell your ladder

WL

Just watch the units on the thermometer.

13 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Of course, we all grew up in a culture that sent girls to Home-Ec and boys to Shop and we wonder why this happens.

Solution:  Go shopping together, get what's needed.  What kitchen doesn't have a jar opener or a proper junk drawer with a screwdriver or two, pliers and tape measure and such.  

Hmm. Some of us managed to learn the difference between a screwdriver and a chisel all on our own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I did that... My dad said that if I needed money, washing his car was a good way to get it, so I washed it. (I was about 9 or 10yo back then)

That poor old Malibu didn't shine too much later on.

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Gradually switching to all battery powered outdoor tools for that very reason.  So much easier to cut the hedges without that F'ing cord to drag along everywhere.  Have not found the battery powered leaf blower that can equal the gas powered backpack yet.Power+ Hedge Trimmer

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You guys need one of these for your shop.

Tool Rules.JPG

My wife actually bought that sign for my workshop.  Shame she doesn't practice what she preaches.

My wife puts up with me.

Every annoying thing she does, every thing she damages, every thing she loses gets seen through that prism

Hands up those who had no gray hair before marriage.....

37 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

My wife puts up with me.

Every annoying thing she does, every thing she damages, every thing she loses gets seen through that prism

Hands up those who had no gray hair before marriage.....

Gray hair?  Wish mine stopped committing follicide.

Yeah, if my hair could stop falling out That'd be great - Bill Lumbergh -  quickmeme

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Cleaning lady who is otherwise excellent wanted me to buy her some SOS pads.  I asked her what for?  She texted a photo of the black iron grates from our brand new, beautiful, Italian made gas cooktop.  WTF?  I told her no way!  Use a plastic similar scrubbing pad, NOT SOS....

2 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Gradually switching to all battery powered outdoor tools for that very reason.  So much easier to cut the hedges without that F'ing cord to drag along everywhere.  Have not found the battery powered leaf blower that can equal the gas powered backpack yet.

I'm doing the same. I took the plunge on a Makita mower and have been happy with it. It's built like a tank, not a toy, and it cuts as well or better than my old 5hp Honda-powered Troy-Bilt. It came with 4 batteries but only needs 2 (connected in series for 36V) to do ~5000sq ft if I don't let it go by skipping a week or two. 

I added a string trimmer, which seems to run forever on one battery. I also have a Makita blower and it's very powerful and lasts long enough for my needs. If you're looking for a battery powered blower that'll match the power and duration of a gas backpack, you'll probably need a backpack battery too.

I learned at about age 10 to never buy a black car...washed my mom's black 1955 Chrysler New Yorker in the hot sun with laundry detergent in water...was never the same.

When my wife needs a pickle or other stuck jar opened she just goes looking for a BSM. Big Strong Man.

She knows how to play me.

19 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Misbehaving with tools is not genetic.

My Rhode's Scholar nephew thought that an aluminum snow shovel was the cat's p.j.'s for getting the snow off the hood of his brand new SUV...until the sun came out.  

7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Hmm. Some of us managed to learn the difference between a screwdriver and a chisel all on our own.

Just like some of us learned how to boil water all on our own.  

8 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Celsius or Fahrenheit Makes a difference.

Depends on what language you speak to make it boil too.

I "knew a guy"  who as a small child took the ice off the neighbors car with a ball peen hammer.

Aftermath wasn't pretty...  he was honestly trying to help.

Details are hazy, but some yelling may have resulted.  He has never repeated that mistake.

Ice was removed quite effectively though.  

32 minutes ago, Windward said:

I "knew a guy"  who as a small child took the ice off the neighbors car with a ball peen hammer.

I know nothing of this method of ice removal.:ph34r:

58 minutes ago, Windward said:

Aftermath wasn't pretty...  he was honestly trying to help.

Details are hazy, but some yelling may have resulted.  He has never repeated that mistake.

Ice was removed quite effectively though.  

June 20, 1995 we had a helluva an ice storm that caused many homes to have to repair or replace their roofs.  I was driving my newish Maxima at the time and wound up with two dozen or so good size dents on the roof, bonnet and boot.  This was when paintless dent repair was fairly new, at least I had never heard of it before.  It was good as new when completed,and insurance paid far less than if all the affected panels had to be repaired in the normal way.

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

When my wife needs a pickle or other stuck jar opened she just goes looking for a BSM. Big Strong Man.

She knows how to play me.

I sometimes have to ask for my wife’s help to open jars. The joys of aging...

2 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

I know nothing of this method of ice removal.:ph34r:

He has gone on to have other successes and failures.  Some are more memorable than others.

23 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Neither of my parents knew which way to turn a screwdriver.  So they both turned to me.  I had to learn real quick if I wanted anything to work.

• Like 1

"No you can't, you're so crap at woodwork you can't even buy screwdrivers that don't break."
Dude !!!...hahaha... didn’t read any further...LOL.... hahaha 

let her buy the particle board coffee table... hahaha..

ahhh fuck ! I’m still laughing 

Hahaha.... ahhhhh.... lol... hahaha 

I’m having spasms....LoL 

5 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Just like some of us learned how to boil water all on our own.  

exactly.

It's a funny thing.

40 years ago, "real men" didn't cook. Now they're the biggest watchers of cooking shows and take pride in whipping up some over elaborate roast. Women OTOH don't seem quite so engaged in the formerly manly arts of woodturning, biscuit joining or even changing a tyre.

Disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

exactly.

It's a funny thing.

40 years ago, "real men" didn't cook. Now they're the biggest watchers of cooking shows and take pride in whipping up some over elaborate roast. Women OTOH don't seem quite so engaged in the formerly manly arts of woodturning, biscuit joining or even changing a tyre.

Disappointing.

well, you know..we're the best!:D