Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Save my Sander

I've had my Bosch sander for years.

I've cleaned all the filters out.

Noticed it's vibrating harder and starting to smell hot quite quickly. 

Something burning out?

Can I save it before it does

Bosch Orbital Sander - Lot 1117701 | ALLBIDS

You should make the necessary arrangements.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You should make the necessary arrangements.  

Shame, I was hoping I could at least open her up and clean it or something. Made in Switzerland.

Ah well, it's paid it's dues.

There's an old hardware shop here where an old bloke reconditions tools

Bloody lockdown. :(

Order a new blue Bosch version online, they come with a 3 year warranty. 

Posted (edited)

Sounds like the brushes are worn out. According to this page they should still be available, parts number 2 604 321 925.

Personally, I too would try to fix it. They quite literally don't build them like that anymore, even the blue line.

Edit:

Bosch Australia still carries them, same parts have been used in over 400 tools. Maybe have a look at the ball bearings before you order. :)

Edited by Grog
  • Like 5

I own mice.

North State Auctions - Auction: Northstate January Auction ITEM: Black &  Decker Mouse Sander/Polisher

Meaning I have several of these in various stages of working order.  

I'll amuse myself taking it to bits..If I can find a star screwdriver

tekening.ashx?m=bosch&t=0603367080_0

I don't have much use for the orbital anymore and don't really need it...except I've got to get my Festool ROS fixed.

Yeah..order a new disk base online..when I get a round tuit.

Dunno what happened to my belt sander...prolly gave it away or lent it to someone.

I have been sadly neglecting my tools. 

I want a mouse.

Oh, when it's running you can see tiny sparks through the air vents if that helps.

I've been using it to sand back plaster

A "Star screwdriver" is properly called a "Torx driver".

2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

A "Star screwdriver" is properly called a "Torx driver".

Dunno what it's called, but they have no business using star headed screws on a 30 year old sander. bloody Germans. Who won the war anyway.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Dunno what it's called, but they have no business using star headed screws on a 30 year old sander. bloody Germans. Who won the war anyway.

They're a great invention and should be used more often. 

4 minutes ago, mad said:

Why?

Bloody lockdown, it's like a hole in my bucket.

Cant get to hardware to get a plaster grater thing, so I use my sander to sand the plaster.

Break the sander, cant take it apart because I havent got a star screwdriver thing.

Cant go to hardware Blah.

Take the base off and clean out all the resin and dust that has collected around the eccentric. This will cause the action to feel heavy and imbalanced. Also change the brushes. It's cheap and never hurts.

If it's sparking, it probably means the brushes are worn almost all the way down, and the rivets are scoring the armature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Oh, when it's running you can see tiny sparks through the air vents if that helps.

I've been using it to sand back plaster

Brushes need replacing

1 hour ago, The Big D said:

Take the base off and clean out all the resin and dust that has collected around the eccentric. This will cause the action to feel heavy and imbalanced. Also change the brushes. It's cheap and never hurts.

I'll give it a go. :) Is it possible they are just clogged with plaster dust?

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It's what we do in times of peace: invent complicated stuff. :P

And it get's worse because there are a number of variants, most common are the normal Torx heads with the hex star shape. But very often the Torx-TR heads with extra cylindrical bit in the center are used to "secure" the innards of power tools.

standard_and_security_torx.jpg.03b5d83a10750f76154e8c0d48774b9f.jpg

Be sure to order the right ones, maybe a set of bits or drivers. Wouldn't be the first machine that suddenly learns to fly ...

4 minutes ago, Grog said:

It's what we do in times of peace: invent complicated stuff. :P...

You aren't kidding...

3 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

I own mice.

North State Auctions - Auction: Northstate January Auction ITEM: Black &  Decker Mouse Sander/Polisher

Meaning I have several of these in various stages of working order.  

I’ve got one of those. Great for vibrating the hand and arm. None of that seems to go to the workpiece.

nice carrying case however.

9 minutes ago, Grog said:

And it get's worse because there are a number of variants, most common are the normal Torx heads with the hex star shape. But very often the Torx-TR heads with extra cylindrical bit in the center are used to "secure" the innards of power tools.

Be sure to order the right ones, maybe a set of bits or drivers. Wouldn't be the first machine that suddenly learns to fly ...

I have an aversion to buying stuff one uses once and loses.

We've prolly got a set in the server room at work :)

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Why?

Bloody lockdown, it's like a hole in my bucket.

Cant get to hardware to get a plaster grater thing, so I use my sander to sand the plaster.

Break the sander, cant take it apart because I havent got a star screwdriver thing.

Cant go to hardware Blah.

Much more durable and harder for them to be damaged than regular PZ/philips heads, drilling out fasteners is very dull.

How much longer are you on lockdown for?

I’d give the unit the “Float Test”. Throw it in the ocean. If it sinks, it was no good.  If it floats, it’s still good!

3 hours ago, mad said:

They are second only to slot heads as the worst screw head ever invented.

Their only reason for existence is ignorance of the Robertson head.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

I’ve got one of those. Great for vibrating the hand and arm. None of that seems to go to the workpiece.

nice carrying case however.

Agreed!

On vibrating/oscillating power tools I like to have some heft. I got a Fein Multimaster years ago and the thing keeps surprising me. I use it for sanding, grinding, cutting and sometimes polishing. Nice case, too.

45 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Slot heads are in the lead by a country kilometer...or two as the worst.  

But does the world really need all of these?

th-2.jpeg.80493f0f4861466bf5e397c61b514356.jpeg

https://www.homestratosphere.com/types-of-screws/

th.jpeg

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

They’re fine if you have the right quality tools for them. As for the Robertson head, 100 percent on that, why the rest of the world don’t use those is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Grog said:

Agreed!

On vibrating/oscillating power tools I like to have some heft. I got a Fein Multimaster years ago and the thing keeps surprising me. I use it for sanding, grinding, cutting and sometimes polishing. Nice case, too.

They make great tools, along with Festool. :D

9 hours ago, Grog said:

Sounds like the brushes are worn out. According to this page they should still be available, parts number 2 604 321 925.

Personally, I too would try to fix it. They quite literally don't build them like that anymore, even the blue line.

Edit:

Bosch Australia still carries them, same parts have been used in over 400 tools. Maybe have a look at the ball bearings before you order. :)

and while you're at it,  buy a new pad ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grog said:

Edit:

this,,,, but it could be bearings as well

I am truly amazed at the number of motors for which I can buy new brushes online thru amazon and have them here in a day or two. 

I've resurrected from the dead: one ass kicking electric lawn mower, two hedge trimmers a weed whacker and a big ass hammer drill this summer. all for about 40 bucks and the few minutes it takes to install the brushes.. it aint rocket surgery. a few of my electric tools or yard appliances were put together such that the brushes and bearing could not be replaced. I will never buy another electric tool put together that way. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

They’re fine if you have the right quality tools for them. As for the Robertson head, 100 percent on that, why the rest of the world don’t use those is beyond me. 

Because Robertson wanted to keep control so he didn't license to Ford. He kept control and ended up with a bigger piece of a smaller pie. 

if you see sparks, ditto on the brushes...

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Slot heads are in the lead by a country kilometer...or two as the worst.  

But does the world really need all of these?

th-2.jpeg.80493f0f4861466bf5e397c61b514356.jpeg

https://www.homestratosphere.com/types-of-screws/

th.jpeg

Or, you can discover that the screw heads that look like Phillips on your boat are actually Frearson. Ask me how I know...

13 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Noticed it's vibrating harder and starting to smell hot quite quickly. 

I've got a Bosch RO sander that started to vibrate.  Turned out the pad was coming loose. 

6 hours ago, mad said:

Much more durable and harder for them to be damaged than regular PZ/philips heads, drilling out fasteners is very dull.

How much longer are you on lockdown for?

2-3 weeks? if

• Daily average number of cases in the last 14 days is less than 5 (statewide) AND 
  • Less than 5 cases with an unknown source in the last 14 days (statewide total)

I think I'll have a tool clean up today or tomorrow.

Make up a list of everything that needs fixing and order the parts together.

I've got two mechanical engineers sitting around somewhere.:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, silent bob said:

I’d give the unit the “Float Test”. Throw it in the ocean. If it sinks, it was no good.  If it floats, it’s still good!

This is also known as a "shipyard test"

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

the screw heads that look like Phillips

Yeah JIS screws that Phillips screwdrivers just screw up. I have a set of teeny tiny JIS screwdrivers for cameras. I can unscrew a screw that is invisible to the naked eye with them. Really coo. Some Japanese motorbikes used JIS as well. 

6 hours ago, mad said:

easy   Robinson was trying to fuck everyone with crazy pricing.

fasteners are a low margin business.

people can snap the shanks on torx or allen heads with ease and they are cheap.

So why pay crazy money on a robinson design for snapping the fastener shank?

the world was built on slot heads until Ford introduced Phillip heads on the Model T assembly line to speed fastening via power tools without cam out.

Helped lower the price of a Model T.

Henry could give a shit less if it was harder to remove said fastener a couple years down the road.

All the other manufacturers jump on it.

11 hours ago, silent bob said:

If it floats, it's a duck...

16 hours ago, Grog said:

The pin in the security ones shear off when hit right...

I'm gonna assume none of you Torx haters build decks/ lay down sub-floors for a living...or even dabble in them for fun...just about all of the "exterior" grade screws 'round here are Torx heads now...this is what I use on a stand-up deck gun...

quik_drive_dsvr212s.jpg