BaySailor65

WIGGERS old Sailboat Moulds

Heard a rumour a few years ago that alot of the Sailboat Moulds and Plugs that Andy Wiggers had built over the years, are located in a Field somewhere North, North/West or North/East of where his Shop is located.

Does anyone really know if this Field of Moulds actually exists and where it really is located ??

Thanks

They were in the yard behind the shop for the longest time. Why the interest?  Anything left out this long is surely garbage by now.

• Like 1

There are some Nonsuch 30 moulds on the lane from the shop to the waterfront. Don't know about others. I suspect moulds last a very long time since they are so solidly built. I know a few years ago he was happy to build a new Nonsuch if you wanted one. BTW, Andy is retired. His son runs things now.

24 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

There are some Nonsuch 30 moulds on the lane from the shop to the waterfront. Don't know about others. I suspect moulds last a very long time since they are so solidly built. I know a few years ago he was happy to build a new Nonsuch if you wanted one. BTW, Andy is retired. His son runs things now.

those Nonsuch moulds would have been sitting there since about 2000. as for them being solidly built, for sure, if they stay inside. theres exposed plywood and non uv stable resins and gel coats. think about how hard it is to keep your white boat shiny....

Pretty sure that yes the Nonsuch 30 and Nonsuch 33 moulds are on the access roadway.  CS36 Merlin mould was in the yard for years as well, with a hull inside of it. They pulled the hull out a number of years ago, and it sat for a few years, but haven’t seen it in a while. As for the moulds in the field, though I haven’t seen them I heard that most are buried out there....so ya...garbage. Wiggers is still running strong; the Necklace went into the barn 3 weeks ago. Short season got even shorter!

• Like 3

Wiggers built my Andrews 30.  Most certainly this boat was built on a male mold and its landfill by now. 

58 minutes ago, Pearl Necklace said:

I do remember all the 30’s they built, but sadly never seen any their moulds in forever! Which one is yours?

FLAK

On Google Earth, what's the meter sized boat that's parked on the lawn outside of the building?

1 hour ago, hobot said:

On Google Earth, what's the meter sized boat that's parked on the lawn outside of the building?

It is a fiberglass R Class, R 15 Archer.

It was there for repairs after being stolen and taken for a joy ride.

Wiggers built 2 R boats in the late 1980's, Gypsy and Renegade(now Arrow), the mould then went to Alan Nye Scott who built Diana of Hastings(Archer).

• Like 1

On the Nonsuch molds at least, you would not be able to build one without the designer's permission, as he still owns the rights. 

7 hours ago, DDW said:

On the Nonsuch molds at least, you would not be able to build one without the designer's permission, as he still owns the rights. 

Mark Ellis did very well with that arrangement rather than getting a fee for the design. Originally there were to be four Nonsuch 30s. I think around 1000 30s were built along with all those from 22 to 36.

Wonder what it would cost to build an Andrews 30 now if the mold was even use able? My guess would be about 8 times the price of a decent used one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crankcall said:

Wonder what it would cost to build an Andrews 30 now if the mold was even use able? My guess would be about 8 times the price of a decent used one. 

It would still be much cheaper to take my boat or another back to Wiggers and have a stem to stern refit.  Most likely the molds this gentleman has are for the Star 30.  The cruising variant. 

On 10/1/2020 at 3:10 PM, basketcase said:

those Nonsuch moulds would have been sitting there since about 2000. as for them being solidly built, for sure, if they stay inside. theres exposed plywood and non uv stable resins and gel coats. think about how hard it is to keep your white boat shiny....

I could be wrong but didn't Wiggers only build Nonsuch 33's, and even then couldn't have been much more than a dozen.  Last one was splashed around 2015'ish?

Can't imagine what the cost of a new build Nonsuch today would be, but for that amount of money there are other options than a new build 33' 30yr old monohull design.

3 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

I could be wrong but didn't Wiggers only build Nonsuch 33's, and even then couldn't have been much more than a dozen.  Last one was splashed around 2015'ish?

Can't imagine what the cost of a new build Nonsuch today would be, but for that amount of money there are other options than a new build 33' 30yr old monohull design.

i remember seeing the 30 there, back in the days when i was finishing off the Spirit of Canada open 40..... late 90s, early 00s.

I would be very careful on using an old mold. Thoroughly verify that it is still true/not deformed/twisted. They are built for a short lifespan (50 hulls?) sitting on a flat concrete floor, not a dirt field, moved by whatever method was free. Then see how much work it will take to restore the inside of the mold to perfection.

Why would anyone even think of doing this?

You could buy one of the existing boats and rebuild it to new for a fraction of the cost of building from the mould.

20 minutes ago, in_TO said:

Wiggers listed the Shark moulds on EBay about 12 years ago

i think they ended up north of toronto, and i heard some one was 'building' them