sshow bob

America the beautiful

This is what I found outside my backdoor tonight when I took the dog out. I am going to sleep reminding myself that we are all sleeping under that sky. 

20201003_221142.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, sshow bob said:

This is what I found outside my backdoor tonight when I took the dog out. I am going to sleep reminding myself that we are all sleeping under that sky. 

20201003_221142.jpg

No wind there either?   

This thread could get as big as Hobot's Random Pics thread - there is such a profusion of beautiful sights in America.

One of my favourites - Bonneville

image.png.75660e499bf915526274e857c45904aa.png

The most alien place I've ever been - blindingly white, utterly and totally flat and not a hint of life - no birds, no bugs, nothing. It's hypnotic.

And then a car goes past at 400 MPH. :D

^ that's a nice shot. this whole cuntry in it's natural state is heaven on Earth, I can only imagine the privilege it would have been to live in that kind of beauty before it got exploited and raped. people talk about material luxuries 'n shit, unspoiled nature is the truest luxury of all.

You could take equivalent "exceptional" shots in every country on the planet.  Nothing really "American" about it.  The planet is beautiful.

You can also take much worse shots in every country that would seem to clearly demonstrate that humanity is essentially a multi-celled virus unthinkingly destroying its own habitat.  Oddly, it is a characteristic of the human virus that it can recognize beauty and even regrets its loss as it begins its work.

I'll cheer up tomorrow, I hope.

• Like 5

^What he said,

take for instance the beauty of the yellow/gray/brown sky-fog that isn't fog we had here today.

Pretty much what powered America for hundreds of years, the raping of the continent and the people.

Then the resources were depleted and everyone started fighting over the 'ashes of what's left'.

Then they set off to rape the rest of the planet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I note neither picture has evidence of humans 

An intentional choice, by which I hoped to communicate that the land itself is party agnostic. I understand that there are many beautiful vistas in many countries,  and that there are terrible vistas here and away. But today, my personal focus is domestic because so much of the recent conversation here is domestic. 

We all have so much more in common than we do in conflict. I feel like I'm watching a dispute about whats for dinner turn into a mass decision to burn the house down. Pizza or burgers, we need a bed to sleep in at the end of the day. 

The inter-party warfare has turned us against each other at a level that is self-defeating. It is possible to share to work, while still preserving the ability to disagree and work to foment change. I am afraid that our self importance and the expression of our anxieties as personal attacks will mean only that our governing class continues to eat, while we starve. 

For me, remembering that whatever we do that moon will rise, over us or over desolation,  helps me keep my pride in check. 

• Like 4

La Conner tulip fields.

image.png.fa699397b6b0d468be49f293b6ebd982.png

• Like 1

Well, that was tough!

Temps hit 108° at Phantom Ranch, so I had to take several breaks. The climbs out were tough slogs, but the views are killer. 48 miles in two daze B)

C60476B9-DA0C-41BF-9BC2-9C6A50FB4B07.jpeg

• Like 3

We did a road trip up the Cali coast today... breakfast in Santa Barbara and dinner in Monterey. Thick smoke from the Dolan & Carmel fires made visibility 200 yards in places. 

Nonetheless, was glad to show my son a couple hundred beautiful American miles today!

PCH1.jpg

15 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

We did a road trip up the Cali coast today... breakfast in Santa Barbara and dinner in Monterey. Thick smoke from the Dolan & Carmel fires made visibility 200 yards in places. 

Nonetheless, was glad to show my son a couple hundred beautiful American miles today!

PCH1.jpg

I love that place.  Here's one I took.

ToCarmel.thumb.jpg.128ce610f907ceb55d56fea18da4fefb.jpg

• Like 1

And the focus of a big part of several tracks of  one of the Greatest Album of all time.

Stolen from Gretchen Whitmer's OpEd in the WaPo:

There will be more hard days ahead. But we must all show a little kindness and a lot more empathy. Give one another some grace. And let’s take care of each other.

Wear your mask. Stay six feet apart. Wash your hands frequently. And look out for your neighbors.

We will get through this together.

49 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Stolen from Gretchen Whitmer's OpEd in the WaPo: 

What was stolen?

49 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

But we must all show a little kindness and a lot more empathy. Give one another some grace. And let’s take care of each other

HAhahaaaaaa  ssnnoorrt

That must be why you called me an asshole.

Funni as.

Astro, 

You and the other Antipodeans might not get it, but California has a larger economy than any other Southern latitude nation.   Sucks to be you asshole.   

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Astro, 

You and the other Antipodeans might not get it, but California has a larger economy than any other Southern latitude nation.   Sucks to be you asshole.   

Must fucking suck to measure 'suckiness' by the size of the economy.

But then, that is the problem with America right there, it does, you do.

It's nice here, we have half sane leaders, no COVID in a state bigger than Texas, no race riots and people do not carry gunz because we are not scared of each other... must suck to be you mate.

It also must really suck to be exposed to international views, real eyeopener isn't it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, astro said:

Must fucking suck to measure 'suckiness' by the size of the economy.

But then, that is the problem with America right there, it does, you do.

It's nice here, we have half sane leaders, no COVID in a state bigger than Texas, no race riots and people do not carry gunz because we are not scared of each other... must suck to be you mate.

It also must really suck to be exposed to international views, real eyeopener isn't it?

What drugs are you on can I call a family member?

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

They won't deliver to me anymore.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:55 PM, SloopJonB said:

utterly and totally flat

Not exactly -

IMG_5226.PNG

7 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Great American response, if they fuck with you just attack them instead.

Oregon coast.

image.png.29e32a666fc5a5a791ee2621c72ed490.png

Even better when it's stormy.

image.png.7ae7a7a0a30a4408605d465dd1566584.png

Going to the Sun road in Glacier Park, Montana.

image.png.c51ab411b322e146a6dc92f5709a0080.png

San Juan Islands looking east.

image.png.e7c260f18dfbee5c5a5b1aec4fcec7eb.png