Sign in to follow this  
PaulK

Dolphins in Long Island Sound

Have been sailing for a good while, and have seen dolphins, but never before in Long Island Sound.  Around noon today we were cruising from Port Jefferson towards Bridgeport at about 5 knots and suddenly had at least a half  dolphins swimming around the boat.  The bigger ones were about ten feet long with dark tops and white bottoms shifting to light brown sides. They played alongside for about 30 seconds and then went off.  Will post pictures my wife got when I can get hold of her phone.... 

• Like 1

Greate stuffe!  They haive beene active as deepe as Huntington Baye foire aboute three yeares.  Verrey possitieve ressulttes of curtailleng badde habbits.  Life ist goode.

:)

26 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Have been sailing for a good while, and have seen dolphins, but never before in Long Island Sound.  Around noon today we were cruising from Port Jefferson towards Bridgeport at about 5 knots and suddenly had at least a half  dolphins swimming around the boat.  The bigger ones were about ten feet long with dark tops and white bottoms shifting to light brown sides. They played alongside for about 30 seconds and then went off.  Will post pictures my wife got when I can get hold of her phone.... 

Gotta watch out for those half dolphins, never seen those before!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Gotta watch out for those half dolphins, never seen those before!

I acceptted the ideare that Paulk wase excitted an skipte a lettere or worde ore to.                         :)

They show up occasionally.  Even smal whales. Humpbacks in 2015  And we had a manatee in the Hudson around 1990

There have been threads on dolphins in Huntington Bay  and SF Bay    

BEA30B93-C23A-4FE3-BAB6-9FA3CFE34243.jpeg

They are in block island sound as well.  I saw some yesterday and also 2 weeks ago. 

Snags was right.  Half-DOZEN.  Video w/Statford Shoal in the distant background is too big to post.  Here are two that played in our wake. 

IMG_1746.jpeg

• Like 1

Have been in the Sound on a trip north from Florida for Hurricane Season, and took the opportunity to cruise the eastern end of the Sound, the fishtail area and Block Sound/Newport.  and saw them.  Guess we were just lucky.

Back in the day, the only thing you saw swimming around there were the Great Long Island Sound Whitefish.  They were especially plentiful around the Mamaroneck sewage outfall.

• Like 3

Don't forget the finless brown trout.  Used to be very plentiful.  Back in the seventies I used to see a few dolphins about every weekend in the sound, and I was usually riding one.  But those were Yankee dolphins.  Maybe extinct by now.

13 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Back in the day, the only thing you saw swimming around there were the Great Long Island Sound Whitefish.  They were especially plentiful around the Mamaroneck sewage outfall.

nowadays seeing more discarded masks than anything else 

• Like 1

Saw a large group (50+) of dolphins in the LIS just South of Oyster Bay/Lloyd Point about four years ago. I still have the video. IIRC, there was a thread with a number of sightings at the time. 

Question:  

Does this mean that Long Island Sound is getting cleaner, so predators like Dolphins don't mind coming in to feed, or does it mean that tuna stocks in the ocean are getting depleted, and they're searching for whatever they can find to eat? 

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

this means that Long Island Sound is getting cleaner, so predators like Dolphins don't mind coming in to feed, 

Youre answere wase in youre owen questione, withe a slite editte.                                        :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulK said:

Question:  

Does this mean that Long Island Sound is getting cleaner, so predators like Dolphins don't mind coming in to feed, or does it mean that tuna stocks in the ocean are getting depleted, and they're searching for whatever they can find to eat? 

With Uber Eats and Grubhub now they can just have it delivered during Covid 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PaulK said:

Question:  

Yes!

Back in the 70s and 80s your shit went from the toilet straight to a thru hull and into LIS. It got bad with regular ride tides.

I believe we are seeing more close to shore shark attacks globally too. You go to where the food is...

48 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Yes!

Back in the 70s and 80s your shit went from the toilet straight to a thru hull and into LIS. It got bad with regular ride tides.

I believe we are seeing more close to shore shark attacks globally too. You go to where the food is...

The few recreational turds that boaters put in LIS every summer  are insignificant. Its dozens of 100 year old undersized sewage plants with common storm drains
and agricultural runoff that does it.. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 10:53 AM, PaulK said:

Question:  

It means the water temp is higher. The waters off of Maine were rising faster than anywhere on the planet a few years ago. 

Dolphins have been up at Prince Edwards Island(Canada) forever.

3 hours ago, CaptainAhab said:
On 10/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, PaulK said:

It means the water temp is higher. The waters off of Maine were rising faster than anywhere on the planet a few years ago. 
Dolphins have been up at Prince Edwards Island(Canada) forever.

Everey oune dessearves a warme bathe....................                            :)

1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Had a Sizeable pod follow us for a mile inside plum gut yesterday afternoon. 

WTF do they do at the standing wave? I’m imagining they fly out of that wall of water. 

We’ve got heaps of them in South AU.  Unless you are in a boat they scare the shite out of you. The first one might be  a Great white shark!