Sol Rosenberg

Eddie Van Halen DTS

He was struggling for a while I gather.  VH is playing on every station on the planet me thinks.......   RIP 

One of the best musicians ever.Its official 2020 sucks total ass.Best wishes Van Halen family.

• Like 1

Damn!! One of the greats. I'm still struggling trying to play "Eruption" and I've only been practicing since the early nineties...

RIP Eddie, You fucking rocked!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, See Level said:

Might as well jump...

Looks like the cancer really got him now.  Jamie's crying.  

Taught me how to play guitar without ever meeting him. Also taught me why I wanted to play in the first place.

I had dinner with Les Paul by accident back in 2000ish at the Iridium Jazz Club in New York City. He asked me who I thought was the best player of the era and I said Eddie Van Halen. He agreed because, in addition to being a musician, Ed was also an inventor and musical engineer that rivaled Les and Leo Fender, who Les regarded highly. 

Les described how Ed would wind and wax his own pickups and if he didn’t like the outcome, he would melt and re-wax the pickups until he got them exactly to his desired level of performance.

Les also appreciated the manner that EVH played symmetrically across the neck which was not a usual approach to a guitar neck-the guy played it like a keyboard where everything is evenly spaced when it was appropriate. 

• Like 1

His appreciation of EVH’s symmetric style was based on Les’s disability following a serious car accident where he almost lost the use of his left arm. He developed an oscillating tone generation system that allowed him to use his good arm to generate choral tones with the touch of the guitar string- the first keyboard of sorts...

26 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

From Valerie Bertinelli’s poisonous pussy 

Speaking of cunts.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

More likely all that after concert strange snatch 

the band in heaven (or hell, idk) is growing better and better...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

You always expose your true self. 

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Fuck cancer. 

Age 65. 

I had a friend die of throat cancer. He smoked and drank every day......................................DUMB

Fuck Cigarettes', Eddie smoked Tabaco and pot. what a dumb ass. OH, he downed Jack like it was water too. Warnings have been on the packages since the late 60's. 

Sorry, but I liked his music too some people deserve what the get. All the rich people who commit suicide or die because of their life style, Don't lean on my shoulder. Everyone has a choice.

Most of you know my situation, T-11 Paraplegic, have not walked in 22 years cannot feel anything below my waist, have not had any real sex in that time period and I go on every day for the simple things. I hope I get to sail next year.

Stupidity (not money) is the root of all evil.

Eruption

13 minute live version

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I had a friend die of throat cancer. He smoked and drank every day......................................DUMB

Fuck Cigarettes', Eddie smoked Tabaco and pot. what a dumb ass. OH, he downed Jack like it was water too. Warnings have been on the packages since the late 60's. 

Sorry, but I liked his music too some people deserve what the get. All the rich people who commit suicide or die because of their life style, Don't lean on my shoulder. Everyone has a choice.

Most of you know my situation, T-11 Paraplegic, have not walked in 22 years cannot feel anything below my waist, have not had any real sex in that time period and I go on every day for the simple things. I hope I get to sail next year.

Eruption

13 minute live version

So sorry to learn of your reality.. I can not believe how blessed by life has been, no rhyme or reason ... and yes I have taken it all for granted 

Fack!!!

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

You always expose your true self. 

Sorry.  Meant to say Sail4beer’s pussy 

Stop ruining this solemn tribute to Eddie 

You can shit on any thread you like. You especially like the DTS threads to show your low status as a soul to us. You will earn your flick soon. 

24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

You can shit on any thread you like. You especially like the DTS threads to show your low status as a soul to us. You will earn your flick soon. 

Wow. Then you are really gonna lose your shit when David Lee Roth dies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

So sorry to learn of your reality.. I can not believe how blessed by life has been, no rhyme or reason ... and yes I have taken it all for granted 

You are a Goatish pox-marked Codpiece.

• Like 2

I was never a fan of the band "Van Halen", but Eddie was no doubt a great guitar player. He's been fighting cancer for a long time. It nearly always wins in the end. Unfortunately.

46 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Wow. Then you are really gonna lose your shit when David Lee Roth dies. 

Yeah, another Jew hit on your scumbag meter. You scratch your own record again, cunt. 

48 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You are a Goatish pox-marked Codpiece.

That is a compliment if you are a lover of the codpiece. If some people are finally acknowledging Meatwad’s situation, it is a revalation. Ain’t sure which one it is...but either way, codpieces have a definite target market and purchase value!

7 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Yeah, another Jew hit on your scumbag meter. You scratch your own record again, cunt. 

Can you tell us where your vicious anti semitism comes from? You must be a Trumpalo. Better be careful I think one or two of the moderators is a tribe member. And a lawyer as well! 

So your Goombah and deleted “Italian fire” in The West Stamford boat fire thread statements aren’t another of your acutely bigoted views from back in the good old days when it was ok to disparage Italian Americans?!

Mr. Clean and I are all good, race baiter, don’t hate on any of what you project, asshole. 

RIP EVH

8 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

So your Goombah and deleted “Italian fire” in The West Stamford boat fire thread statements aren’t another of your acutely bigoted views from back in the good old days when it was ok to disparage Italian Americans?!

Mr. Clean and I are all good, race baiter, don’t hate on any of what you project, asshole. 

RIP EVH

Do you ever sit and ponder just how often you are plainly wrong, and just how stupid you really are?  Now stop stalking me or I will report you to a Hasidic moderator. Shalom. 

Here’s one that only a few have ever heard.  A jam session with Eddie Van Halen and Brian May, two of the most spectacular guitarists of all times, with a equally impressive back up: 

It was recorded at Eddie’s home studio. No disrespect, but it’s Eddie & Friends!  If you can find it on vinyl, I highly recommend it!  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Project#/search

• Like 1

Damn.  I never owned any Van Halen albums (mainly because David Lee Roth was such an asshole) but I always liked Eddie and his guitar playing.  It's a solidarity thing among us Eddies.  And I'll be 65 in less than a month.  

RIP brother.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keith said:

Concert rider...

image.png.ee8316ad1472cca7ad5ea33feb09fb8c.png

RIP,  one of the best.

Actually, a very astute move.  They did that to see how careful the venue was in preparing.  

Why.

Saw him twice. First time was in 2004, in DC. Sammy was singing and Eddie was on fire. Second time was 2012, in DC, with (believe it or not) Kool and the Gang. DLR was back on vocals and he sucked. Forgot the words to some songs and mocked the audience. Eddie was, as always, perfect.

Lightning fast guitar licks. 

EVH, you will be missed.

Well, the EVH rabbithole pretty much ate up my morning.

Suffice it to say, despite his belief that he got the cancer from his picks, that nicotine as a major food group has consequences.

RIP to a very original guy!

11 hours ago, silent bob said:

Here’s one that only a few have ever heard.  A jam session with Eddie Van Halen and Brian May, two of the most spectacular guitarists of all times, with a equally impressive back up: 

It was recorded at Eddie’s home studio. No disrespect, but it’s Eddie & Friends!  If you can find it on vinyl, I highly recommend it!  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Project#/search

I owned that on vinyl back in the day.  I thought it was great.  Then I played it for some "musicians" without telling them who it was.  When I asked them who they thought was playing, they said: Brian May and some guy trying to keep up.  I chuckled and moved on.  I'm no critic and none of the critics could play half as well as either guitarist.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Eruption

13 minute live version

Yea.  Melt your face off....  Mind blowing that he or anyone could do that shit...  

9 hours ago, nolatom said:

Wasnt he also a sailor?  Or am I mis-remembering?

He was from Holland...  goes without saying

EVH was a freakin’ bomber playing with a bunch of lounge lizards.   Tone to die for.  

If it weren’t for 5-6 classic cuts he’d be just another cover boy on Guitar Player.

RIP for a Rocker.

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

EVH was a freakin’ bomber playing with a bunch of lounge lizards.   Tone to die for.  

If it weren’t for 5-6 classic cuts he’d be just another cover boy on Guitar Player.

RIP for a Rocker.

Number eight according to Rolling Stone, number four by Guitarworld.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/pete-townshend-6-158910/

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time

I saw Eddie at one of Neil Young's "Bridge School" benefits (this one in 1993, at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA).  EVH played piano for Sammy Hagar, and then later plugged in his electric guitar and shredded along with Simon and Garfunkel, doing "Sounds of Silence".  That was a strange mash-up to be sure!

• Like 2

I was with a friend at a traffic light a couple hours after a VH concert and a limo pulled up beside us and the window rolled down and Eddie and Alex hung out the window and gave us the thumbs up because we were cranking Unchained to 11 on the stereo.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 12:14 AM, nolatom said:

Wasnt he also a sailor?  Or am I mis-remembering?

If that’s true, or even  if it isn’t, EVH is crying out for a classic Assman SA Obit

• Like 1

Paul Unkert built the red, white and black Kramer guitars Eddie used in the 80’s. He had me throw a wrench at one he was building before taking it out to the parking lot to drag around for “patina”. Eddie didn’t like shiny, clean guitars at the time...

Sail on EVH

D902312C-CF20-4C55-BC49-2B8B96A50C99.png

So, I was never much of a VH fan.  I always thought DLR was a boob, and a lot of the music was trite.

However, their first album certainly holds a special place in my psyche, and is very near and dear to my heart.

It was the summer of 1978, and it was hot as fuck out.  I had just finished 8th grade, my buddy John had just finished 9th.  My brother was home on furlough from Ft. Bragg, and had brought some killer weed with him.  John and I schemed to get my brother to take us to the mall on Saturday, because Alien had just opened, and he could buy us tickets so we could get in. 

So naturally, John and I set out to roll a big, specially fatty for the evening's events.  My brother and I picked up John in my brother's red Charger, and we lit that fatty up.  Even with no AC in the car, and sweating our balls off, it was pretty sweet.  Until my brother dropped the doobie while driving, and had to do the 'lit cigarette dance' in the seat to find it.  (It left a round hole in the upholstery that was there until the car was wrecked in '83.)  We found it and finished it off.

Then my brother pushed the Van Halen cassette into his deck, and turned it up so loud the tape hiss was clearly audible.  I had a split-second of foreboding, as I knew something incredibly loud was going to happen.  VH exploded into our ears, and I had never heard anything like it -- it searing in it's tempo, rhythm and distortion.  It really blew me away.  The whole album did.

We finished the first side of that tape, then realized we had to get into the movie before it started.  (That was another wholly weird experience -- two teenagers blazed out of their gourds watching Alien in a crowded theater.  The parts we laughed at uncontrollably got us a lot of stares.)  For me, that first VH album is untouched by anything else they ever did as a band.  Not knocking EVH's talent -- he was really phenomenal, but Van Halen was the right place and the right time for me, and it really defined the Summer of '78. . .

RIP, Eddie. 

• Like 3

The more I go back on these VH live shows the more it seems VH we’re morphing into AC/DC.   Hagar and his shorts?

Angus every bit the full-on, over the top  guitar stud as Eddie.   Jus’ sayin’.

3 hours ago, blunderfull said:

The more I go back on these VH live shows the more it seems VH we’re morphing into AC/DC.   Hagar and his shorts?

Angus every bit the full-on, over the top  guitar stud as Eddie.   Jus’ sayin’.

959282F8-9BBB-4D9F-B858-CEEAB700C890.jpeg

My brother is a friend of a New Jersey entrepreneur and real estate developer named Henry Vaccaro.  Luthier Travis Bean and Gary Kramer started the Travis Bean Guitar Company in 1974.  Bean lost interest in the company and Kramer and Dennis Berardi took over the Travis Bean Guitar Company and renamed it BK International (Kramer Guitars) in 1976.  Vaccaro knew Dennis Berardi and made a sizable investment and became the owner of the new company in 1976 which was located in Neptune, NJ.  A few years later, Berardi happened to meet some of Eddie Van Halen's people by chance on an airplane flight.  When the plane landed, Eddie's guy called Eddie from a pay phone at the airport and soon after Eddie met with Kramer and the rest is history.  Kramer and Berardi eventually left the company and Vacarro continued to manufacture a couple of hundred Kramer guitars using parts from leftover inventory, for a time.  In 1993, Vaccaro sold the the Kramer brand to Jackson Communications, which was Michel Jackson's family's company.   The Jackson's defaulted on the payments for the guitar company and Vaccaro obtained a sizable and very valuable amount of Michael Jackson memorabilia after winning a lawsuit over the money.   Vacarro also started his own company, Vacarro Guitars which made similar aluminum necked guitars, but the business didn't last long. Gibson Guitars bought the Kramer brand in a bankruptcy sale some years later. 

Henry Vaccaro was also a friend of Johnny Cash.  Vaccaro bought and completely renovated a large hotel in Asbury Park, NJ in a multi million dollar project in 1985 and got Johnny to invest in it.  The hotel formerly called the Berkley Carteret Hotel and now known as the Berkley Oceanfront Hotel still stands near the boardwalk across the street from the historic convention center and it still has Johnny Cash's personal suite in it.

Vaccaro self published a vanity book entitled Johnny Cash is a Friend of Mine in 2013.  I am the proud owner of the book with a personal inscription to me from Vaccaro.  I met him when I was visiting my brother one time.  He is a Jersey Shore legend and quite a character.  

Six degrees of separation and all that.  

JCash1.jpg

JCash2.jpg

• Like 1

Jersey Shore shout out.   Nice.   We did 13 yrs on the stanky end (Hazlet, exit 117).

Cowboys, surfers, mob guys , and asst’d weirdos.   Thanks for the local take.   Know the places you mentioned.   Memories indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Jersey Shore shout out.   Nice.   We did 13 yrs on the stanky end (Hazlet, exit 117).

Cowboys, surfers, mob guys , and asst’d weirdos.   Thanks for the local take.   Know the places you mentioned.   Memories indeed.

If I had to move back to the US, which I really don't want to do, but if I did, I would seriously consider Asbury Park.  Affordable living on the coast and they are slowly making a comeback.  However I can imagine with all of the local businesses in town, the lock down must have hit them hard.  T

The town just has a cool, funky vibe, along with the tacky (in the best way) ambiance of the boardwalk.   And the old architecture of the convention center, the old power plant and the merry go round.  I like the AP boardwalk better than Seaside heights.  But i haven't been in Seaside Heights since before the hurricane a few years ago destroyed the boardwalk and the pier so I don't know what it looks like nowadays.  My brother was living in a condo near there at the time.  He had just returned from a business trip and he couldn't get into his place for more than a month.  He lived on an upper floor so his stuff was OK, but the ground floor was completely flooded and damaged and they condemned the building.  That's when he moved to Asbury Park.

And last but not least, I could always stumble upon Bruce Springsteen, he likes to visit his old haunts often.  I would like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

If I had to move back to the US, which I really don't want to do, but if I did, I would seriously consider Asbury Park.  Affordable living on the coast and they are slowly making a comeback.  However I can imagine with all of the local businesses in town, the lock down must have hit them hard.  T

The town just has a cool, funky vibe, along with the tacky (in the best way) ambiance of the boardwalk.   And the old architecture of the convention center, the old power plant and the merry go round.  I like the AP boardwalk better than Seaside heights.  But i haven't been in Seaside Heights since before the hurricane a few years ago destroyed the boardwalk and the pier so I don't know what it looks like nowadays.  My brother was living in a condo near there at the time.  He had just returned from a business trip and he couldn't get into his place for more than a month.  He lived on an upper floor so his stuff was OK, but the ground floor was completely flooded and damaged and they condemned the building.  That's when he moved to Asbury Park.

And last but not least, I could always stumble upon Bruce Springsteen, he likes to visit his old haunts often.  I would like that.

and it gave us Johnny and Bruuuuuce!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bruce-springsteen-asbury-park-performance-southside-johnny-856152/

• Like 1

here is bruce doing hearts of stone, his song but Johhny recorded it in the early 80's (?).  i have that Jukes record on vinyl, i need to rip it.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Cool, funky Asbury Park.   We’d cruise Ocean Blvd from Sandy Hook to AP most weekends.  Concerts, the boardwalk, the weird nite life everywhere.   

Cold as f’ old houses to rent in the winter spiced things up a bit.   Jersey Shore can be as off the hook as any place in NYC - if that was your thing.

Sandy thrashed the Shore - Seaside Pier gone .   Sea Bright had 6 ft of sand.   You always knew those sea walls weren’t going to stop big Atlantic action.   

• Like 1