badlatitude

Why do you never see an American flag at a house that has a Biden sign

Thanks to Donald Trump jr. for that astute observation. Now, let's explore why.

LjrJJB9a_reasonably_small.jpg

Why do you never see an American flag on a house with a Biden sign in the front yard?
I fly the American flag because I am a patriot. What can’t understand is why people who support a traitor like Trump are flying it. Trump supporters should be flying the flag their leader submits to, namely the Russian flag.

-_SCsHTA_reasonably_small.jpg

Replying to @DonaldJTrumpJr
Because real patriots don't have to pretend to love America by flying American flags on their homes & wear American flag clothing.

Or add their liking to the flag totally disrespecting it or even hug one.

Ej2JU6SWsAU5axV.jpg

Why do you never see an American flag on a house with a Biden sign in the front yard?
I'll take Stupid Questions for $100 thanks, Alex. Because they understand loving America isn't about cuddling the flag, it's about living up to the lofty ideals your country was founded on. The American Nazis who wanted to turn the US into a fascist state had big US flags...

• Like 2

Biden supporters proudly flew American flags. But coked out men kept stealing them for clothing.

Why do I always see a Confederate flag on a house with a trump sign in the front yard?

• Like 4

Who gives a fuck about a flag?  It's a piece of cloth.   What about beliefs, actions, etc.  they matter more.  

• Like 2

Shit, I have yet to see a Biden sign!

46 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I fly the American flag because I am a patriot. What can’t understand is why people who support a traitor like Trump are flying it. Trump supporters should be flying the flag their leader submits to, namely the Russian flag.

-_SCsHTA_reasonably_small.jpg

Replying to @DonaldJTrumpJr
Because real patriots don't have to pretend to love America by flying American flags on their homes & wear American flag clothing.

Or add their liking to the flag totally disrespecting it or even hug one.

Ej2JU6SWsAU5axV.jpg

I'll take Stupid Questions for $100 thanks, Alex. Because they understand loving America isn't about cuddling the flag, it's about living up to the lofty ideals your country was founded on. The American Nazis who wanted to turn the US into a fascist state had big US flags...

Geeze Mike... I don't know what is more bat shit crazy, the shit you re-post here or reading the intentional bat shit crazy stuff on The Onion..

I don't fly a flag to show my conviction, I wear it in my heart.  

Flags on houses and letterboxes in the US are an indication of massive insecurity complex.  Trying to tell themselves everything is ok.

Then after raising the flag for the day, they go inside and polish their 'precious' to protect themselves from the very government that the flag represents.

You cannot get more fucked up than that.  Too fucking stupid to see the conflict.

most-interesting-man-smh.gif

• Like 2

Despite the embarrassment of the past four years, I believe in this country.   I want to believe that our best days are ahead of us.  

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, astro said:

Flags on houses and letterboxes in the US are an indication of massive insecurity complex.  Trying to tell themselves everything is ok.

Then after raising the flag for the day, they go inside and polish their 'precious' to protect themselves from the very government that the flag represents.

You cannot get more fucked up than that.  Too fucking stupid to see the conflict.

most-interesting-man-smh.gif

Please shut up you idiot asshole.  

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Despite the embarrassment of the past four years, I believe in this country.   I want to believe that our best days are ahead of us.  

I like your optimism, more of that is needed.

This is how I see it.

1. Trump is a symptom of the problem.
  2. The problem has a cause.
  3. The cause will not be addressed by a change of president.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please shut up you idiot asshole.  

Are you one of those who cannot see the conflict?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

This is interesting.

Astro's Rule

#21: There is a direct relationship between the number of American Flags flown at a residence and the number of Gunz there.  The formula is;

Number of Gunz = Number of Flags x 2.35

14 minutes ago, astro said:

This is interesting.

Astro's Rule

#21: There is a direct relationship between the number of American Flags flown at a residence and the number of Gunz there.  The formula is;

Number of Gunz = Number of Flags x 2.35

Your number is off for my house, so that must be an average of all houses with outliers either way.

55 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Your number is off for my house, so that must be an average of all houses with outliers either way.

Do I have to explain general rules and stats?

The number was presented as a mean, it will most likely not be correct for any one house, half more, half less.

The rule says "The flags will tell you where the gunz are and how many".

EDIT: So what is the factor at your place?

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Geeze Mike... I don't know what is more bat shit crazy, the shit you re-post here or reading the intentional bat shit crazy stuff on The Onion..

My feelings are hurt, you don't even remember my name. I only posted this to make fun of Donald Jr. he's the easiest target in the administration.

I have told this story before, but given the thread.

Another Aussie and I were driving in country heading for a business meeting south of Westborough Ma.   Anyway we detoured sightseeing.  Ended up driving down this rural residential area, biggish houses each looked to be a few arcres, very pretty in November.

We both noticed it, but each said nothing for a while, but after a few kms of this we each said almost at the same time ... WTF is it around here with these flags!!!!?

Each letterbox had a little flag, they all looked to be from the same supplier.  But the most incredible thing was that it was every fucking place, without exception!  They just went on and on.  Each house under the peer pressure of all the other houses to conform. 

That would never happen in Oz, no way.  People would not conform just to not fucking do it, and certainly not about a flag.  Made me question the definition of Freedom.

People fly all kinds of flags for all kinds of reasons.  In some places people fly a flag from their undergraduate alma mater.  In others it is the American flag. Others yet it is their favorite sports team.

My younger son, a liberal/progressive, alternates between his undergrad school’s flag and the American flag.  He flies the American flag, not out of a sense of patriotism, but in remembrance of his maternal grandfather.  His grandfather, a conservative Republican,  (when conservative did not necessarily mean right wing) flew the flag every day. His grandfather was a huge positive influence in his life so he flies the flag to remember and honor his grandfather.

53 minutes ago, astro said:

Do I have to explain general rules and stats?

The number was presented as a mean, it will most likely not be correct for any one house, half more, half less.

The rule says "The flags will tell you where the gunz are and how many".

EDIT: So what is the factor at your place?

0 flags, 1 gun. Poor gun is likely in dire need of a clean and some oil, no races this year, no bangs :(

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

0 flags, 1 gun. Poor gun is likely in dire need of a clean and some oil, no races this year, no bangs :(

Firing a Glock or an AR 15 to start a race is a little umm.....

Unhinged!

You need a mini cannon!  Malarkey might be able to set you up.

I've been a lot of places and IME the USA is the only place that waves flags privately to any extent.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a general linkage between wealth and flag waving - the more flags visible, generally the poorer the neighbourhood.

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Trump has spread COVID all over our flags.

1 hour ago, astro said:

I have told this story before, but 

You doubtless know this, but lots of USAeans may not; 

Oz has Reich-Wing militia issues too 

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/09/study-warns-radicalized-right-wingers-uniting-online-many-inspired-trump-threaten

If it were actually true, then there would something to discuss.  So we'll just move on.

4 hours ago, bridhb said:

Shit, I have yet to see a Biden sign!

Me neither.

All I ever is is Ardern/Labour and some guy named Winston Peters.

• Like 2

My dad, embarrassingly, flies an American Flag with a Trump flag under it on his property.  The only gun on that property is mine, a .22 I store in my camper on his property.  We don't talk politics.

17 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

My dad, embarrassingly, flies an American Flag with a Trump flag under it on his property

What's a Trump flag?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Oz has Reich-Wing militia issues too 

Of course, we have nutters here too.  Just nowhere near 40% of the population.

2 hours ago, astro said:

Each letterbox had a little flag, they all looked to be from the same supplier.  But the most incredible thing was that it was every fucking place, without exception!  They just went on and on.  Each house under the peer pressure of all the other houses to conform.

Realtors run around putting the little flags on every house, with their business cards underneath.  It's a marketing thing.

Oh wait - I just posted for the first time in PA.  I'm screwed.  I really do have a sailboat - honest!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, astro said:

Just nowhere near 40% of the population.

It's less than 40% here - talking about the armed Reich-Wing racist confrontationists. 

Which is lucky for us since it really takes only about 10% of a societal population in 

determined revolt to bring down a government. 

10 minutes ago, astro said:

What's a Trump flag?

28C0D24A00000578-0-image-a-70_1431828666

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

A flag that says Trump/Pence 2020 on it.

Some of them say this, which would be hysterically funny if it weren't pathetic and scary in roughly equal measures . . 

image.jpeg.223b8d81bb25ae23387a9ac2854c703c.jpeg

16 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Some of them say this, which would be hysterically funny if it weren't pathetic and scary in roughly equal measures . . 

image.jpeg.223b8d81bb25ae23387a9ac2854c703c.jpeg

13Qg.gif

21 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

It's less than 40% here - talking about the armed Reich-Wing racist confrontationists. 

Which is lucky for us since it really takes only about 10% of a societal population in 

Interesting ...

So I'd say that there are enough of them to over-throw Biden.

25 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Source for that please? And list of historical cases in support?

I'd accept that figure if the other 90% of the population were somewhere between apathetic and tacitly complicit, or totally cowed by violence, otherwise, not.

FKT

4 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Source for that please? And list of historical cases in support?

You do not provide sources, only pontification - so I will not give you that courtesy. 

But there is a fairly extensive literature on the subject. 

Flag flying is a fundamental component of crowd control.

Mesmerizes and consolidates the masses to make them easier to control.  As in my example about the conflict between patriotism and arming up a militia.

"OKAY let's go and take the fucking town hall!!!"

Then someone pulls out the flag and starts playing the National anthem and they all stop and sing along.

Funni as fuck.

847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

You do not provide sources, only pontification - so I will not give you that courtesy. 

But there is a fairly extensive literature on the subject. 

Yes right - so you can't. Or you know that the references are so dodgy that they'd only be accepted by political science grads and not by anyone with an ounce of critical thinking ability.

Whatever. Carry on, we're off sailing tomorrow.

FKT

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Whatever. Carry on, we're off sailing tomorrow.

He always says that when he's cornered.

FuKT just runs away.

BitterThirdEider-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Me neither.

All I ever is is Ardern/Labour and some guy named Winston Peters.

2016 The Shore was 100% Trump signs. 2020 I have seen a fair amount of Biden signs :D

And here yet again this thread is an amazingly sad commentary on how divided we are and how people will use anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to divide us further.  There is nothing wrong with flying the American flag, whether it be on a private home or a business or a gov't building.  Individuals fly it for many reasons and their reasons are their own and should not be questioned - unless they are disrespecting it like combining it with a confederate flag.  I personally have never flown the US flag at my house, even on the 4th of July.  As Cal said, the concept of the flag is in my heart and I try to honor the sacrifice that people have made to their country by attempting to pursue the ideas of what this country is supposed to be.  I'm trying hard Ringo, to be the shepard.  

So it pisses me off when flag flying or flag waving is once again being boiled down to a partisan issue, race and class issue.  Fuck any of you that espouse that.  Fuck Don Jr for being a cunt and using it to divide.  Fuck Sr shithead for shitting all over it.  Fuck the racists who fly it alongside the nazi and rebel flag. And fuck all the rest of you libbyruls who use it as a cudgel to demean those who do fly it for their own personal reasons and ascribe a partisan motive to the practice.  And fuck astro (aka randumb) for just being the judgemental cunt he is.  No one asked your opinion on the US, so STFU for once in your miserable life.  But I digress.......

The bottom line for me is, despite the shitshow the last 4 years have been, I still believe in this country and what it stands for.  I am also optimistic it will get better.  I still like seeing flags being flown on houses and businesses day to day - because it's not overwhelming.  I love when the country is plastered in the US flag on the 4th.  I still tear up a bit when the National Anthem is played at events or taps is played in the evening when I'm on base.  Or when I see the flag at half-staff when someone special has passed, like for RBG just recently.  I personally hate when I see people with US flag clothing but I think the majority believe they are honoring it rather than not, so I let it pass.  But looking down on and demeaning folk who fly the US flag in the proper way just because THEY don't like it should also STFU.  Given all the real issues we have to address in this country, this ranks somewhere around 113,069 on the list.  

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

And here yet again this thread is an amazingly sad commentary on how divided we are and how people will use anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to divide us further.  There is nothing wrong with flying the American flag,

Sure, it is people's right to do that, but nonetheless it is a tangible sign of the USAean chauvinistic nationalism - one facet of which is Merriken Exceptionalism. 

Modern hyper-nationalism is, in fact, a serious threat to peace. 

If you don't get that - from Poland to Hungary to Drumph to Vlad to _____ - you are not paying much attention. 

41 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

And here yet again this thread is an amazingly sad commentary on how divided we are and how people will use anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to divide us further.  There is nothing wrong with flying the American flag, whether it be on a private home or a business or a gov't building.  Individuals fly it for many reasons and their reasons are their own and should not be questioned - unless they are disrespecting it like combining it with a confederate flag.  I personally have never flown the US flag at my house, even on the 4th of July.  As Cal said, the concept of the flag is in my heart and I try to honor the sacrifice that people have made to their country by attempting to pursue the ideas of what this country is supposed to be.  I'm trying hard Ringo, to be the shepard.  

So it pisses me off when flag flying or flag waving is once again being boiled down to a partisan issue, race and class issue.  Fuck any of you that espouse that.  Fuck Don Jr for being a cunt and using it to divide.  Fuck Sr shithead for shitting all over it.  Fuck the racists who fly it alongside the nazi and rebel flag. And fuck all the rest of you libbyruls who use it as a cudgel to demean those who do fly it for their own personal reasons and ascribe a partisan motive to the practice.  And fuck astro (aka randumb) for just being the judgemental cunt he is.  No one asked your opinion on the US, so STFU for once in your miserable life.  But I digress.......

The bottom line for me is, despite the shitshow the last 4 years have been, I still believe in this country and what it stands for.  I am also optimistic it will get better.  I still like seeing flags being flown on houses and businesses day to day - because it's not overwhelming.  I love when the country is plastered in the US flag on the 4th.  I still tear up a bit when the National Anthem is played at events or taps is played in the evening when I'm on base.  Or when I see the flag at half-staff when someone special has passed, like for RBG just recently.  I personally hate when I see people with US flag clothing but I think the majority believe they are honoring it rather than not, so I let it pass.  But looking down on and demeaning folk who fly the US flag in the proper way just because THEY don't like it should also STFU.  Given all the real issues we have to address in this country, this ranks somewhere around 113,069 on the list.  

'The bottom line for me is, despite the shitshow the last 4 years have been, I still believe in this country and what it stands for.  I am also optimistic it will get better.'

i think your too optimistic... the debt is going to bite you in the ass... you need to get the finances in order! (you still rely on a war economy...)

Keynes:

Y = C + I + O (basic)

Your O is way too big...

19 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Sure, it is people's right to do that, but nonetheless it is a tangible sign of the USAean chauvinistic nationalism - one facet of which is Merriken Exceptionalism. 

Modern hyper-nationalism is, in fact, a serious threat to peace. 

If you don't get that - from Poland to Hungary to Drumph to Vlad to _____ - you are not paying much attention. 

Phuq off.  Flying a US flag means none of that, "professor".  You are an embarrassment to the education profession.

Just now, Burning Man said:

Phuq off.  Flying a US flag means none of that, "professor".  

You dunno Jack Squat. There is a reason why Germans are so amazed when the see flags all over the US. It does not happen in Germany. 

That is because of a conscious effort by German leaders to move the country away from the sort of deadly evil hyper-nationalism of Hitler. 

The anti-nationalist movements in the US are much weaker. 

Americans are marinated in extreme nationalism so thoroughly that most of them are not even aware of it. 

• Like 5

Wife and I spent a few days getting away from the BS in SoCal...so went up to the central coast area...many Biden/Harris signs and flags..the best one:

BYEDON...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

You dunno Jack Squat. There is a reason why Germans are so amazed when the see flags all over the US. It does not happen in Germany. 

That is because of a conscious effort by German leaders to move the country away from the sort of deadly evil hyper-nationalism of Hitler. 

The anti-nationalist movements in the US are much weaker. 

Americans are marinated in extreme nationalism so thoroughly that most of them are not even aware of it. 

There is nothing prima facie wrong with nationalism.  Balanced Nationalism is healthy for any state, provided it does not cross the boundaries into hyper-nationalism or imperialism.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your country and seeking to make it a better place for all.  So fuck you again, I reject your unlearned anti-nationalist fervor. 

In fact, people like you are likely the single most divisive wedge that we have going in this country.  We should be uniting all of us under a single common banner and set of ideals and encourage people to take pride in their country, warts and all, and strive to learn from the mistakes of the past to make it better for the future.  Instead, you and your elk have made being proud of the US a dirty word.  You've even gone so far as to make it a "fighting word" in some places.  I'm a big proponent of multi-ethnic, multilingual and multicultural people all coexisting peacefully.  But you have told those people that NO, your culture and your language are more important than the concept of uniting together to be Americans.  So as a result, we have a balkanization of the US.  It is now fashionable to hunker down into your own little communities and tribes and hate the "other".  It's also become a zero sum game to the liberals who push this notion - because you espouse that to build up a minority, you have to tear down the majority to get there rather than seeking ways to bring all people up together.  

The bottom line is the US will cease to exist as we know it if this trend of tribalization and balkanization continues.  And I place the blame for this squarely on the liberal academia "intelligentsia" such as yourself @AJ Oliver.  You've taught entire generations of kids to hate their country rather than simply telling them the truth that all nations evolve and never have perfect beginnings.  You have taught kids to hate America and to hate the concept of being an American first and then celebrate your ethnicity, culture, language, race, religion 2nd.  Being an American AND being black, brown, white or muslim or jew or christian or being a whatever can and should coexist.  It's not one or the other, and YOU and your elk have deliberately ripped this country apart to sow and ingrain this division.  So fuck you!  However, while you're in the process of going off to fuck yourself, read this first.  It's a much more eloquent way to express what I'm trying to convey:

Yes, I'm an American Nationalist

This is the flag that I fly . .   

Vets For Peace Annual Convention - Mary's Pence

13 hours ago, astro said:

What's a Trump flag?

image.png.4ae983d4b034a39c2baa38cf9f8a9ae5.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, astro said:

Interesting ...

So I'd say that there are enough of them to over-throw Biden.

These might get in the way.

image.png.63e8e1772c3bf46b10fa1dc652ef7da1.pngimage.png.56a7021bbb46bc906639dd5e2448140a.png

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

These might get in the way.

image.png.63e8e1772c3bf46b10fa1dc652ef7da1.pngimage.png.56a7021bbb46bc906639dd5e2448140a.png

And these. They can drag these across highways to block traffic.

f-35-air-show.JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

There is nothing prima facie wrong with nationalism.  Balanced Nationalism is healthy for any state, provided it does not cross the boundaries into hyper-nationalism or imperialism.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your country and seeking to make it a better place for all.  So fuck you again, I reject your unlearned anti-nationalist fervor. 

It would help discussion if you bothered to understand what words mean

noun
noun: nationalism; plural noun: nationalisms
  1. identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

I suggest identifying as being Patriotic

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

And these. They can drag these across highways to block traffic.

f-35-air-show.JPG

Youtube video on the Mig31 that stopped the SR71 from flying over Russia.

Even then the Russian plane could control a number of other aircraft, much like the swarm feature much touted by the f35 now.  It was designed to synchronise with four other 31's to control an area 1000 miles square.

Yes the 35's could be used to block highways though.

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

noun
  1. identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

Nationalism
Political ideology

Description

Nationalism is an idea and movement that promotes the interests of a particular nation (as in a group of people), especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland. ... It also encourages pride in national achievements and is closely linked to patriotism.

20 minutes ago, Burning Man said:
Nationalism
Political ideology

Description

Nationalism is an idea and movement that promotes the interests of a particular nation (as in a group of people), especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland. ... It also encourages pride in national achievements and is closely linked to patriotism.

You are the poster boy for Nationalism, congrats.  Really important that the richest country with the most powerful military on the planet gains and maintains it's sovereignty on it's homeland.  Does anything in that sound anything like the Nazi party?  Waving a flag makes you a nationalist, it's doesn't make you patriotic. Not that I would ever expect you to understand the difference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Balanced Nationalism is healthy for any state,

Like Moderate alcohol consumption.

36 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

You are the poster boy for Nationalism, congrats.  Really important that the richest country with the most powerful military on the planet gains and maintains it's sovereignty on it's homeland.  Does anything in that sound anything like the Nazi party?  Waving a flag makes you a nationalist, it's doesn't make you patriotic. Not that I would ever expect you to understand the difference.

Patriotism may be the last refuge of the scoundrel.but flag waving is the last refuge of the ignoramus.

Real patriotism is a personal and private matter. It does not need obvious displays.

Note the flag waving and hugging by Trump the draft dodging coward.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, astro said:

Of course, we have nutters here too.  Just nowhere near 40% of the population.

Took this behind the fish market in Sydney.

20180315_163003.thumb.jpg.854edb530a05532cca243e9d7196632d.jpg

17 hours ago, BobJ said:

Realtors run around putting the little flags on every house, with their business cards underneath.  It's a marketing thing.

Oh wait - I just posted for the first time in PA.  I'm screwed.  I really do have a sailboat - honest!

So do I, it's OK.

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:
4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

noun

10 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Took this behind the fish market in Sydney.

20180315_163003.thumb.jpg.854edb530a05532cca243e9d7196632d.jpg

Stupid AND unoriginal.

5 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Hitler was ok, well except for exterminating over 6 million people who weren't German enough. Yeah, other than that - a great guy.   I know I am using purple but she is a maroon.

Too stupid to know she would have been in the oven before the Jews.

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Who is talking about waving flags???  I said there was nothing wrong with "displaying flags".  It's like you didn't even bother to read a goddamn word I posted just above.  Go back and re-read post #43 again.  

Back to nationalism.  Do you disagree with Brook's sentiment in the link on American Nationalism above?  If so, why?  My stance on Nationalism is pretty much exactly the same as what he's saying.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with that mindset and if you disagree, I'd really be interested in understanding why.  

10 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Who is talking about waving flags???  I said there was nothing wrong with "displaying flags".  It's like you didn't even bother to read a goddamn word I posted just above.  Go back and re-read post #43 again.  

Back to nationalism.  Do you disagree with Brook's sentiment in the link on American Nationalism above?  If so, why?  My stance on Nationalism is pretty much exactly the same as what he's saying.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with that mindset and if you disagree, I'd really be interested in understanding why.  

You pick and choose a definition while ignoring everything else and then have the audacity to accuse me of not reading? Nice try, but no cigar. 

But wait there's more!!! Explain why Nationalism is better than Patriotism or even why you have to have both.  This would be more enjoyable if you came better prepared.

11 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

You pick and choose a definition while ignoring everything else and then have the audacity to accuse me of not reading? Nice try, but no cigar. 

But wait there's more!!! Explain why Nationalism is better than Patriotism or even why you have to have both.  This would be more enjoyable if you came better prepared.

I didn't pick and choose a definition.  I chose to post the one that was part of the same google search as yours immediately below.  Why is yours correct and mine is not?

Seriously, what do you disagree with about Brook's characterization of American Nationalism?  Why do you keep ignoring the question?

20 minutes ago, d'ranger said:
33 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Who is talking about waving flags???  I said there was nothing wrong with "displaying flags".

The merc. doesn't even understand that "waving flags" is a figure of speech for jingoistic "patriotism"

also know as Nationalism.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The merc. doesn't even understand that "waving flags" is a figure of speech for jingoistic "patriotism"

also know as Nationalism.

I am well aware of what it means, numb nutz.  And none of what I posted above in 43 implied or endorsed "Flag Waving".  The discussion was about the display of flags all over and how the display itself implied nationalism.

Furthermore, Nationalism = Patriotism.  Ultra-nationalism does not and it is ultra-nationalism that you guys are actually discussing.  Run of the mill, everyday nationalism is not only OK, it is a good thing.  When it crosses the line into ultra-nationalism is when it becomes destructive.  You do see the difference right?  

59 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I am well aware of what it means, numb nutz.  And none of what I posted above in 43 implied or endorsed "Flag Waving".  The discussion was about the display of flags all over and how the display itself implied nationalism.

Furthermore, Nationalism = Patriotism.  Ultra-nationalism does not and it is ultra-nationalism that you guys are actually discussing.  Run of the mill, everyday nationalism is not only OK, it is a good thing.  When it crosses the line into ultra-nationalism is when it becomes destructive.  You do see the difference right?  

No.

12 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

No.

No what?  

Just now, Burning Man said:

No what?  

To your last question. Nationalism is not patriotism, that's why there are two words.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Sorry, nationalism is not the same things as patriotism. Kinda related but not the same. I would say IMHO neither is absolutely good.

The fact that you think "Run of the mill, everyday nationalism is not only OK, it is a good thing" because you are a nationalist is the exact same logic as thinking that having white skin is better because you have white skin.

It would be accurate to say "nationalism can be good" is not the same as saying that it's never bad, or always good. Your characterizations and attempts at logic are very sloppy

- DSK