Sign in to follow this  
Gouvernail

When President Biden Begins....

What is your guess about which tasks he will tackle first??

• Like 1

Just now, Gouvernail said:

Fumigating the White House

• Like 3

Setting rat traps and roach poison. Melting down gold bathroom fixtures and donating proceeds to local food banks.

He damn well set up a series of panels/commissions to attack what he considers to be the critical issues facing the country. A report in 6 months or less with legislation ready to go shortly thereafter.

Americans are fickle and in 2022 voters might well likely turn at least one house of Congress back over to the Repubs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

He damn well set up a series of panels/commissions to attack what he considers to be the critical issues facing the country. A report in 6 months or less with legislation ready to go shortly thereafter.

Americans are fickle and in 2022 voters might well likely turn at least one house of Congress back over to the Repubs.

I would give them a month for some logical plan of actions to come out for the most pressing issues.  They have a head start between Nov and Jan to get things going and the most important domestic problems are well known.  I really hate when the candidates say "day one, I will...." as anyone that is potty trained knows that is bullshit.  Biden has said that and I really wish he would not, but a top 5 priority list to be acted on in the first month would be nice.

30 minutes ago, bridhb said:

I would give them a month for some logical plan of actions to come out for the most pressing issues.  They have a head start between Nov and Jan to get things going and the most important domestic problems are well known.  I really hate when the candidates say "day one, I will...." as anyone that is potty trained knows that is bullshit.  Biden has said that and I really wish he would not, but a top 5 priority list to be acted on in the first month would be nice.

I tend to agree, but I hope he has a notebook full of EO's ready to go on day 1 that reverses some of the bullshit.

Reverse everything Trump has done. Remove anyone Trump has installed in any position.

1 minute ago, longy said:

Reverse everything Trump has done. Remove anyone Trump has installed in any position.

In general, I detest this approach, but in this case, I think it would be for the best.

Especially his judges.

- DSK

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

In general, I detest this approach, but in this case, I think it would be for the best.

Especially his judges.

- DSK

Asking because I really don't know....but can Biden remove judges?  I thought they had to be impeached.

47 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

That shits already happening

3 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Asking because I really don't know....but can Biden remove judges?  I thought they had to be impeached.

Impeached only.  Federal judges serve “during good behavior.”  As to what that is, your guess Is as good as  mine.

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

The virus, duh.  Have you listened to a word he's said?

• Like 2

His toughest task will be to go over the entire executive branch, and root out 

all the careerists and opportunists who willingly broke their oaths to defend the constitution 

and protect the public interest to satisfy the Drumph's blatant corruption. 

Military, DOJ, EPA, CDC, FDA, Interior,   it is really a long list. 

the most disillusioning thing about the entire Drumph presidency is how many 

career professionals went along with it. 

11 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

all the careerists and opportunists who willingly broke their oaths to defend the constitution 

Protect your paycheck

Protect your pension

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

Protect your paycheck

Protect your pension

Stuff screaming people into ovens ? 

Sure boss, no problemo !!

I know it's US attorneys, but this would be good.

By tradition, all U.S. Attorneys are asked to resign at the start of a new administration. The new President may elect to keep or remove any U.S. Attorney. They are traditionally replaced collectively only at the start of a new White House administration. U.S. Attorneys hold a political office, in which the President nominates candidates to office and the Senate confirms, and consequently, they serve at the pleasure of the President. When a new President is from a different political party, typically almost all of the resignations are eventually accepted[11] and the positions are then filled by newly confirmed appointees, typically from the new President's party.[12][12][13] Although a political appointee, it is essential to the effectiveness of a U.S Attorney that they are politically impartial in deciding which cases to prosecute and in arguing those cases before judges and juries with diverse views.

28 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Stuff screaming people into ovens ? 

Sure boss, no problemo !!

How brave would you have been as an untenured prof with a wife and a couple of kids depending on you? Especially in a market with PhDs a dime a dozen and your employer replacing tenure track faculty with adjuncts.

4 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

How brave would you have been as an untenured prof with a wife and a couple of kids depending on you? Especially in a market with PhDs a dime a dozen and your employer replacing tenure track faculty with adjuncts.

I did deal with those issues as best I could. I was really lucky to have several VP's for academic affairs (both republicans) who stood up for me when the Reich came after my job. 

Pretty sure I would not have stuffed people into ovens. 

1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

I did deal with those issues as best I could. I was really lucky to have several VP's for academic affairs (both republicans) who stood up for me when the Reich came after my job. 

And without those VPs you are selling pencils on the street 

5 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

And without those VPs you are selling pencils on the street 

So rather than give up what is known as the "golden handcuffs*", you would join the ranks of the oven stuffers ?  

Term used to describe all the bennies people get (pay, pensions, health care) for selling their souls. 

12 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

So rather than give up what is known as the "golden handcuffs*", you would join the ranks of the oven stuffers ?  

Term used to describe all the bennies people get (pay, pensions, health care) for selling their souls. 

Oven stuffers? Are you sure you weren’t a drama prof?

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

Oven stuffers? Are you sure you weren’t a drama prof?

I actually thought it was a rather clever turn of phrase. 

So you never in your life thought twice about following any and all orders? 

That defense did not go over very well at Nurnberg? 

4 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

You are a legend in your own mind.

And the word is Nuremberg.

I spent 5 decades In the private sector, federal government, and at a Big 10 university. You have no idea what I’ve seen or did, supported or opposed.

3 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

No argument ever does when you're on the losing side.

Not that I think it was incorrect, just not a standard that had, AFAIK, ever been applied to a losing side in a war previously. In the case of the Nazis, seeing as nobody in the recent (last 1000 years??) past had committed slaughter of civilians on such an industrial scale, I'm quite comfortable with the punishment being equally draconian.

Ever read any of HH Kirst's books? The Gunner Asch series in particular? If you don't want to go to the camps yourself there's a lot to be said about massively creative incompetence as a method of evading orders.

FKT

4 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

And the word is Nuremberg. 

I used the German spelling, admittedly w/o the umlaut 

been there five or six times. 

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

I used the German spelling, admittedly w/o the umlaut 

been there five or six times. 

Pssst. This isn’t Germany

14 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I spent 5 decades In the private sector, federal government, and at a Big 10 university. You have no idea what I’ve seen or did, supported or opposed.

Well whoop de doo !! 

But back to the topic - Are you saying that Biden should take no action against improper behavior that took place in the Exec branch?  

And relatedly, it was the failure of the Obama admin to hold the US torturers accountable that virtually guarantees that we have not seen the end of it. 

Similarly, the O Man's failure to prosecute the 2003-2008 mortgage fraud banksters pretty much guarantees a repeat melt-down. 

12 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well whoop de doo !! 

But back to the topic - Are you saying that Biden should take no action against improper behavior that took place in the Exec branch?  

And relatedly, it was the failure of the Obama admin to hold the US torturers accountable that virtually guarantees that we have not seen the end of it. 

Similarly, the O Man's failure to prosecute the 2003-2008 mortgage fraud banksters pretty much guarantees a repeat melt-down. 

Isn’t hindsight wonderful?

For a former poli. sci. Prof you seem to forget that politics is the art of the possible.

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

In the case of the Nazis, seeing as nobody in the recent (last 1000 years??) past had committed slaughter of civilians on such an industrial scale

Let me guess: you're white? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, frenchie said:

12 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

For a former poli. sci. Prof you seem to forget that politics is the art of the possible.

I am surprised that you appear to be just fine with powerful folks breaking all sorts of US and international laws. Are you equally solicitous of law-breaking by average folks ? I bet not. 

Furthermore, what about all the hundreds of honest and upright career professionals who were forced out or fired by the Drumphist Reich from the Dept of State, the military, the DOJ (FBI & prosecutors), CDC, FDA, EPA and more ? 

They should all get their jobs back along with full apologies. 

Andrew McCabe should get his job and pension rights fully restored. 

The Biden transition team should be working on this now. 

12 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

This comment is rude, deceptive and stupid. Of course many of us were calling for prosecutions of those law breakers AT THAT TIME, not just later. 

And you know better - you're just being a punk about it. 

(How could I forget? The criminals who lied us into the 2003 Iraq invasion also should face prosecution. Vets For Peace is on record as calling for criminal charges BEFORE THE INVASION TOOK PLACE) 

14 hours ago, longy said:

This is a MINIMUM. If this is not the LEAST of what they do the Democrats should just disband themselves and all quit. Not ONE political hire should still be on the premises the day after inauguration.

7 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I am surprised that you appear to be just fine with powerful folks breaking all sorts of US and international laws. Are you equally solicitous of law-breaking by average folks ? I bet not. 

Furthermore, what about all the hundreds of honest and upright career professionals who were forced out or fired by the Drumphist Reich from the Dept of State, the military, the DOJ (FBI & prosecutors), CDC, FDA, EPA and more ? 

They should all get their jobs back along with full apologies. 

Andrew McCabe should get his job and pension rights fully restored. 

The Biden transition team should be working on this now. 

This comment is rude, deceptive and stupid. Of course many of us were calling for prosecutions of those law breakers AT THAT TIME, not just later. 

And you know better - you're just being a punk about it. 

(How could I forget? The criminals who lied us into the 2003 Iraq invasion also should face prosecution. Vets For Peace is on record as calling for criminal charges BEFORE THE INVASION TOOK PLACE) 

I once had a Prof like you. Thought he was the be all and end all.  Anyone who disagreed with him was, to use a variation of your favorite word, a Reichista.  I would tell you to FO but then I’d be stooping to your level. I’m done with you.

Just now, jerseyguy said:

I once had a Prof like you. Thought he was the be all and end all.  Anyone who disagreed with him was, to use a variation of your favorite word, a Reichista.  I would tell you to FO but then I’d be stooping to your level. I’m done with you.

You are utterly unable to grapple with the issues that have been raised. 

Zero responses from you to polite queries - see above. 

So all you have left is totally unrelated personal attacks. 

The arrogant one is you. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

You are utterly unable to grapple with the issues that have been raised. 

Zero responses from you to polite queries - see above. 

So all you have left is totally unrelated personal attacks. 

The arrogant one is you. 

Oh shut up.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Oh shut up.

And you with 36.5 THOUSAND posts ? 

If I shut up I'll never have a hope of catching up with ya !

5 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

And you with 36.5 THOUSAND posts ? 

If I shut up I'll never have a hope of catching up with ya !

I type fast.

16 hours ago, frenchie said:

Examples to the contrary?

Note the qualifying term 'industrial scale'. I'm well aware of what Mao did, the Khmer Rouge did and others but can you come up with any examples where it was Government *policy* to exterminate an entire so-called ethnic group in their own country?

Take your time - I'm out of here for the next few days as the weather is decent(ish) and the tide is rising.

FKT

Edited by Fah Kiew Tu
typo

On 10/9/2020 at 4:48 PM, Gouvernail said:

Lock him up.

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Lock him up.

I doubt it. Biden is conservative establishment type. My guess is he will want proper process . 

5 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

I doubt it. Biden is conservative establishment type. My guess is he will want proper process . 

You're going to have do some some serious processing to make Trump edible.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:02 PM, AJ Oliver said:

That first bit is going to be easy.  MOST of his appointments were never officially vetted or appointed by congress so they are all interim postings.  EPA guy already is in hot h20 as he overstayed his 210 day appointment and is having every decision and policy he implemented, scrutinized and basically reversed if the judge has anything to say about it.  So all he has to do is appoint someone...  No congress or hoops to jump through as the "off brand butt plug" ;) discovered...  

31 minutes ago, shaggy said:

That first bit is going to be easy.

As I mentioned above, it's perhaps even more important to bring back and make whole all the honest public servants that were fired or forced out. 

There are hundreds of them in the DOJ, DOS, EPA, military and elsewhere. 

Really puzzled why @jerseyguy does not get that. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, Ishmael said:
On 10/10/2020 at 9:36 PM, Gouvernail said:

You're going to have do some some serious processing to make Trump edible.

They say that highly processed food is less healthy. Aside from that issue, I have zero desire to grok Trump

- DSK

Drop Devos like a steaming pile of shit 

On 10/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, Gouvernail said:

I actually think Biden's instinct will be to try to just move forward, like Obama after the financial crash caused by the corruptness of the wall street firms.

I hope Kamala's inner prosecutor is able to drive something forward.