Sign in to follow this  
LeKa

Cock of the Bay origin?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know where the title ‘Cock of the Harbour’ or Cock of the Bay’ originated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you referring to  the Cock of the Bay (top rooster)yacht race run by the ORCV on Port Phillip on boxing day as lead up to the Melb./Hobart ,Melb/ Devonport and part of the Sovereign Series. Dont know who named it but I understand it changed name from ‘The Boxing Day Dash‘ to ‘Cock of the Bay ‘ sometime after the ORCV was formed in 1972 . It has since reverted to its original name for guess what reason as its no longer appropriate. My first ‘Cock of the Bay’ was 1980 .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a Cock of the Harbour is Sydney for many years and also Cock of the Harbour race in Hobart.  Could be many more also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Hobart back in the day when fishing boats and trading ketches were sail powered they would race around the cans in the regatta.  The winner got the right to fly a rooster shaped device at the masthead for a year.

At least that's how I understand it.  Alternatively, Errol Flynn was a Hobart boy around then, the race might have been named after him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Cock of " is a very old epithet of the top / leader/ winner of something,  particularly in Scotland, traditionally the chief of Clan Gordon is the " Cock of the North "and that goes back at least to the 1700s

Getting rid of such terms is another example of PC getting it wrong.  Since  the cock(rel) is a correct term for a rooster. 

Other examples,  Now frowned upon, 

"A cock up" is from archery,  getting the cock feather on the arrow in the wrong place. 

"A balls up",  from our hobby,  you've run aground so are required to haul three balls up in a vertical line to indicate you have done so.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Q said:

"Cock of " is a very old epithet of the top / leader/ winner of something,  particularly in Scotland, traditionally the chief of Clan Gordon is the " Cock of the North "and that goes back at least to the 1700s

Getting rid of such terms is another example of PC getting it wrong.  Since  the cock(rel) is a correct term for a rooster. 

Other examples,  Now frowned upon, 

"A cock up" is from archery,  getting the cock feather on the arrow in the wrong place. 

"A balls up",  from our hobby,  you've run aground so are required to haul three balls up in a vertical line to indicate you have done so.  

I think you are probably correct. The Cock of the Bay (in Melbourne) was changed to the boxing day dash, in the late 2000's, IRRC, by the ORCV. And at that time, was due to many spam filters or email filters blocking the word Cock. Perhaps the height of spam-related viagra and other stuff - who knows.

Anyway, the ORCV changed it back to the Cock a few years ago now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

I think you are probably correct. The Cock of the Bay (in Melbourne) was changed to the boxing day dash, in the late 2000's, IRRC, by the ORCV. And at that time, was due to many spam filters or email filters blocking the word Cock. Perhaps the height of spam-related viagra and other stuff - who knows.

Anyway, the ORCV changed it back to the Cock a few years ago now.

And now they have changed it back .

ORCV_IconLR 

 

Bay Race of 36 nautical miles

Race Starts off Port Melbourne, at 1030 hours AEDT on December 26 (Boxing Day) every year.

 Description:

Since 1979, the Boxing Day Dash (in the new media age, we just cannot use 'Cock of the Bay' anymore, but the Rooster lives on...) race has been the annual feeder event for the fleet to get down to the bottom of the Bay for the Offshore Start on December 27. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From http://www.maritimetas.org/collection-displays/may-queen/may-queens-working-life

"Trading ketch races were a feature of many local regattas, particularly the Royal Hobart Regatta until 1954. The ketch race at the Royal Hobart Regatta was known as the Cock of the Derwent Race and there was intense rivalry between the ketches when they raced for the honour of flying the Golden Cock".

image.thumb.png.c5821f7c512300d53200e7297208414b.png

image.png.968c88313f31e03fc7d88993928480e8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Do they still run the “King of the Derwent”?  

It’s still raced after the S2H

IIRC the Cock of the Derwent was still held in the seventies and early eighties.

”Cock” is also a masculine term of greeting down here, as in “ G’day cock” or “How’s it goin’ cock?”

But be careful not to use it in “ How’s it hangin?”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BBender said:

And now they have changed it back .

ORCV_IconLR 

 

Bay Race of 36 nautical miles

Race Starts off Port Melbourne, at 1030 hours AEDT on December 26 (Boxing Day) every year.

 Description:

Since 1979, the Boxing Day Dash (in the new media age, we just cannot use 'Cock of the Bay' anymore, but the Rooster lives on...) race has been the annual feeder event for the fleet to get down to the bottom of the Bay for the Offshore Start on December 27. 

You may have an old article sir

 

image.thumb.png.be0512ab70ab57191782c568f266d97e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

You may have an old article sir

 

image.thumb.png.be0512ab70ab57191782c568f266d97e.png

I reckon your right as I can’t even find where I saw it On the ORCV website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was the Cock of the Huon in Tasmania for racing yachts which existed for over 150 years. Then the DSS decided that after sailing their Pipe Opener Series to Port Huon for 50 years it was too far to go for modern racing yachts. And the HYC saw the light of Jesus, drove away all their long time local members, and threw history on the scrap heap.

No more cock for anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this