Sign in to follow this  
J Keeley

What was it?

So this boat keeps popping up. What's the scoop? Did you buy her, or just took a pic so you could post it here? If you have more pics please share. I don't like the rounded trailing edge of that keel, but I think the rest of the boat is more interesting.

11 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

I don't like the rounded trailing edge of that keel, but I think the rest of the boat is more interesting.

I thicke ist caulled 'Elypticalle" juste foire youre eddificatione.                              :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thicke ist caulled 'Elypticalle" juste foire youre eddificatione.                              :)

I was already happy my foggy brain could produce the word trailing edge :)

I always associate elliptical with the machine in the gym.

3 hours ago, J Keeley said:

Should be easy. 

285C3A5F-A398-4E9B-B2D2-6A0AE94A431B.jpeg

How current is the pic?  Last time I saw her she was off the trailer and the trailer was not around.  Rudder still removed?  Sad to see a boat with so much history in need of so much to make her like she was back in the day.

3 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

I was already happy my foggy brain could produce the word trailing edge :)

I always associate elliptical with the machine in the gym.

Think Spitfire wing.

The name Babe Ruthless has cropped up on SA numerous times.  A lot of people wanted to know where she is, if anyone has photos, and if she was for sale.

Perhaps the most famous MORC design of all time.

Actually, the rounded trailing edge was more about reducing the keel root area than creating an elliptical planform.

2 minutes ago, J Keeley said:

Have tried to buy it. Sadly not for sale. Sitting at Cracker Boy. Riviera Beach, Florida. 

For many here (myself included) sailboats are a much more than a collection of cured resin, aluminum, lead, etc.  There is an emotional bond formed and it does tend to defy logic at times.  One could certainly argue that owning a race boat that is receiving shall we say less than stellar care does not make sense.  That said, the owner has that bond or he would part with the boat.  There will probably come a time when logic takes over and the boat will change hands, but whether that is tomorrow or 5 years from tomorrow is anyone's guess.  Am just happy to see that they have at least moved the boat from it's forgotten corner of the yard and has a tarp on it now.

I asked the yard if she was for sale or if the owner would consider a reasonable offer and they said absolutely not. That was 6 years ago. Apparently people stop by and ask all the time.

Yes no rudder and no tarp on the house. Jack stands as I recall.

1 hour ago, @last said:

For many here (myself included) sailboats are a much more than a collection of cured resin, aluminum, lead, etc.  There is an emotional bond formed and it does tend to defy logic at times.  One could certainly argue that owning a race boat that is receiving shall we say less than stellar care does not make sense.  That said, the owner has that bond or he would part with the boat.  There will probably come a time when logic takes over and the boat will change hands, but whether that is tomorrow or 5 years from tomorrow is anyone's guess.  Am just happy to see that they have at least moved the boat from it's forgotten corner of the yard and has a tarp on it now.

Some boats are worth saving, even if it doesn't make financial sense.  

An amazing restoration job was performed on the somewhat more iconic Magic Bus that had been sitting rotting in a SF boat yard for years before some slightly deranged kiwi bought her days before she was scheduled for demolition and shipped her to NZ.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/11/10/video-now-ive-got-magic-bus/

Judging by those recent photos the boat has been moved from the highway end of the yard. Makes me think she has changed hands. 

On 10/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, 12 metre said:

Some boats are worth saving, even if it doesn't make financial sense.  

Yeah the words "boats" and "financial sense" do not go together very well.

• Like 1

Highjacking for comment in case knowledgeable people are already around.

Saw this boat last weekend in a marina and didn't get the opportunity to ask the owner about it. Any idea what it is?

2020_10_10-BB10_Kiel (1).JPG

47 minutes ago, allweather said:

Highjacking for comment in case knowledgeable people are already around.

Saw this boat last weekend in a marina and didn't get the opportunity to ask the owner about it. Any idea what it is?

2020_10_10-BB10_Kiel (1).JPG

I could take a couple of guesses at the design, but in either case I’m thinking of I can’t believe the two designers I’m thinking about would draw a keel bulb that looked like that. 

It is a strange choice I must admit.

Oh, and I should clarify that I saw it in Kiel, Germany. Which doesn't mean it couldn't come from another continent but does make it less likely.

With that aft tack fitting / bow pulpit placement it sort of resembles a west coast sled.  Maybe had a conversion shoal draft / extra righting moment keel for cruising.

Love to see Babe Ruthless get restored. Legacy boat that is up there with Windward Passage and Ragtime....et al.

As far as the German sled. Bit of a winch hedge growing aft of the cab top. Where does the crew sit?

I recon further forward, hiking. Sadly didn't take a proper topside picture.
Wheel is quite forward too now that I think on it.