Sign in to follow this  
huey 2

The Coastal Classic NZ a sprint up the coast ; 2020

I'm on Formula One this time round

I wasn't but now I am. It seemed like such a good idea until I looked at the weather forecast today.

How many for you now Wal - 25? I think this will be about 12 for me as I didn't start until 1990 - with Pete on the Ghostbuster and missed a few while overseas.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

I wasn't but now I am. It seemed like such a good idea until I looked at the weather forecast today.

How many for you now Wal - 25? I think this will be about 12 for me as I didn't start until 1990 - with Pete on the Ghostbuster and missed a few while overseas.

Nah mate I haven't done all that many - but I can't remember exactly how many that would be...... Did my first in '83 with Wardy on his first Y88.  That one sucked as well....Fresh and I mean FRESH Northeasterly.  Got the snot kicked out of us.

See what you mean about the weather forecast.  At this stage it looks like a Ghost up the Coast.....

Could be a good time for the F1. Light enough not to break anything or anyone. Saw it was still on the hard when I was down the line last week.

Bottom job and cockpit floor refurb done.boat delivered to akl Friday. The formula is all ready to go. Looking forward to my first one 

22 hours ago, canter38 said:

Bottom job and cockpit floor refurb done.boat delivered to akl Friday. The formula is all ready to go. Looking forward to my first one 

Excellent!!

......... Do you like upwind sailing?  :P

Upwind ok with water ballast tanks full. If we can crack off 10 degrees even better. Not the speed of the tps tho. We are slowest in our division so trying for handicap not line. 

No worries there.  We'll be giving it a good crack

Looks like the breeze may be NE - might be more funnerer after all......

Good light air upwind test for everyone. The Leader came by here (Cape Rodney) at 3pm. 5.5 hrs into the race and only 30 miles into the race. SLOOOOW!

A monohull was  first to finish. First time in quite a while for that scenario..

Wait a minute, I thought multihulls don't go upwind ?.  2nd, 3rd, 4th, 12th and 14th upwind in light air kinda disproves that notion. The first 3 are very much luxury fast cruisers, not flat out racers like the Volvo 65. The last 2 are small boats at only 10 meters. Also we are led to believe that tris are better than cats upwind and yet the tri was 4th, all great examples of their type.

Well that was a pain in the arse.......

Got away to a good start and sailed pretty well ( we thought...) out of the harbour.  Parked up off Home Point at Whangaruru about 2 am.  Flopped around off Cape Brett till about 8.30 in the morning and thought we all had better things to do.....

If anyone's remotely interested we're in the video coverage of the start at 1.11.11 in..........

On 10/25/2020 at 1:20 AM, Steve said:

Wait a minute, I thought multihulls don't go upwind ?.  2nd, 3rd, 4th, 12th and 14th upwind in light air kinda disproves that notion. The first 3 are very much luxury fast cruisers, not flat out racers like the Volvo 65. The last 2 are small boats at only 10 meters. Also we are led to believe that tris are better than cats upwind and yet the tri was 4th, all great examples of their type.

The tri was leading near the finish but sailed into a hole and parked. The cats saw what happened tacked away and sailed around her. Bummer for Romanza. I think she won on handicap though.

Where did you find that ? I do not find it very easy to follow that race.

4 hours ago, Steve said:

Where did you find that ? I do not find it very easy to follow that race.

Fresh off the bush telegraph mate 

4 hours ago, Rushman said:

Ok, thanks, but that says that Apache, not Romanza was leading their class most of the day before falling into a hole.

8 hours ago, Steve said:

Ok, thanks, but that says that Apache, not Romanza was leading their class most of the day before falling into a hole.

I post the link, what makes you think I have read it :lol:

11 hours ago, Steve said:

I saw Apache go past my bit of the coast at dusk . They were 4th or 5th at that stage and I couldn’t see Romanza 

Loooongest one I've ever done.

On a BBW 38 cruiser racer. New owner, some of the sails hadn't even been up apart from a quick check on the berth. Boat is ex Obiwan / Avela out of Perth.

We were Div 2. Only the Force Eleven was in by the time limit but 7 of 25 were still racing. We did pretty well. One tack from the start to Rangi Shore. Went through Tiri Passage. Going outside the Hen and Chicks worked well for us and the J120.

I think we were the last to actually sail the whole course. We crossed the line with a shy kite about 5pm. Miss Silver gave us a finish gun.

I was on one of the two 10m cats to finish, got in at 1.30pm.

Kept the code zero up all night, and this mode allowed us to a bit of a gap to the boats we were racing with earlier in the race, then managed to find a way around the parking lot at Cape Brett that included the leading boat in our class at the time.

Our total race time was over 27 hours, and that was for line honours in the division.  by contrast, last year we did the race in a trimaran 1.5m shorter, but in under 9 hours.

very challenging race and glad I did it, big props to everyone who toughed it out to the end, although Jono it sounds like you were in danger of missing the party!