Madmax

Ericson 35? Ed is mooching for pickle dishes

Recommended Posts

Ewww,

 

Why not get a Newport 30 while you're at it Scot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This coming from a trumptard? Obviously, your judgment is severely compromised. First, while we always sail to win, I couldnt care less about pickle dishes. It's going to be challenging to get the thing figured out and going well.

Second, Ive wanted to get a 35 for a couple years not only because I want a nice looking old school dual purpose boat, but also one that is narrow enough (10.0 ft) to fit in our slip. And hanging out and weekending on it with fridge, pressure water and electric head is pretty nice.

Lastly, I thought it would really fun to sail against another really well sailed 35, as Benny and Karen do with theirs. Plus, Chuck Driscoll has one now and he too is fixing his up to race. Now that's cool!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A resurgence of hot rodded Newport 30's would be hysterical!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

This coming from a trumptard? Obviously, your judgment is severely compromised.

Why is everything always reduced to Trump with  Scot?

There are many boats that would be better suited for the SD area and Cruise/Racing. Like a J35, a much better boat in every condition. If you cherry it out like Rival, you can win most everything at a 72 rating.

23 minutes ago, hobot said:

A resurgence of hot rodded Newport 30's would be hysterical!

Yes, that would be a sight, a fleet of N 30 class racing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Meat Wad said:

Why is everything always reduced to Trump with  Scot?

There are many boats that would be better suited for the SD area and Cruise/Racing. Like a J35, a much better boat in every condition. If you cherry it out like Rival, you can win most everything at a 72 rating.

Yes, that would be a sight, a fleet of N 30 class racing.

Would rather live / weekend on the Ericson vs the J35. Not even close. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Would rather live / weekend on the Ericson vs the J35. Not even close. 

J/35 has almost 12’ of beam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take politics out of it,  there is something to be said for nostalgia, tradition, yearning for our younger days:  whenever that was will dictate the boat of our daydreams/endeavors (when we realize there isn't that much time left - "its later than you think "

Do it now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Editor said:

This coming from a trumptard? Obviously, your judgment is severely compromised. First, while we always sail to win, I couldnt care less about pickle dishes. It's going to be challenging to get the thing figured out and going well.

Second, Ive wanted to get a 35 for a couple years not only because I want a nice looking old school dual purpose boat, but also one that is narrow enough (10.0 ft) to fit in our slip. And hanging out and weekending on it with fridge, pressure water and electric head is pretty nice.

Lastly, I thought it would really fun to sail against another really well sailed 35, as Benny and Karen do with theirs. Plus, Chuck Driscoll has one now and he too is fixing his up to race. Now that's cool!

You are a sell out, plain and simple.  Get a decent boat like a Cal 40 or an Olson 40.  At least they sail well.  Ericson 35...no wonder you like Biden, your brain is mush.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want an Express 27 to put on my mooring buoy for day sailing and keep my Bendytoy for comfortable cruising and cocktailing.  Of course you can't always get what you want but if try sometime you get what you need.  And, FUCK Trump and the idiots he rode in on, what is the matter with you people who can't see what is going on?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

There are many boats that would be better suited for the SD area and Cruise/Racing. Like a J35, a much better boat in every condition. If you cherry it out like Rival, you can win most everything at a 72 rating.

Do they have a 10' beam?

Or did you repeatedly miss that bit?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Madmax said:

You are a sell out, plain and simple.  Get a decent boat like a Cal 40 or an Olson 40.  At least they sail well.  Ericson 35...no wonder you like Biden, your brain is mush.

Are you really as stupid as you sound?

Did you fail to understand the oft repeated requirement for said boat?

Or are you simply hard of reading?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

I want an Express 27 to put on my mooring buoy for day sailing and keep my Bendytoy for comfortable cruising and cocktailing.  Of course you can't always get what you want but if try sometime you get what you need.  And, FUCK Trump and the idiots he rode in on, what is the matter with you people who can't see what is going on?

Exactly, I now have an SC 27 in partnership for racing and a Jeanneau 36.2 for cruising and being the hotel boat for the 27 at regattas. The partners and I have been working on the 27 for the last year restoring it (it was in really bad shape), and finally launched it mid-August.  This winter's project is restoring the 36.2 which also needs a bunch of work.  Really looking forward to next year, having both boats in shape, and hoping racing will be back on in some form.

If the ed wants to have an Ericson 35 to play with, who in their right mind would criticize his choice of toys?  Why would anyone even care?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Madmax said:

You are a sell out, plain and simple.  Get a decent boat like a Cal 40 or an Olson 40.  At least they sail well.  Ericson 35...no wonder you like Biden, your brain is mush.

It astounding to me that you have a license to fly jet aircraft. I would not let you clean the head of a plane I’m flying in. Your logic and and ability to follow facts is seriously deficient. Scot has a slip that allows for 10 feet of beam. What you suggest will not fit in the slip, and that slip is absolutely prime real estate.

i used to respect you, now I have to wonder if you cheat in sailing like your hero Trump does in everything.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, socalrider said:

J/35 has almost 12’ of beam.

But its interior dosnt look like this , and it dosnt fit in his slip.. Otherwise a good idea 

1982 Ericson 35

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sunseeker said:

It astounding to me that you have a license to fly jet aircraft. I would not let you clean the head of a plane I’m flying in. Your logic and and ability to follow facts is seriously deficient. Scot has a slip that allows for 10 feet of beam. What you suggest will not fit in the slip, and that slip is absolutely prime real estate.

i used to respect you, now I have to wonder if you cheat in sailing like your hero Trump does in everything.

max is a whiney bitch and always has been. very good sailor, but a whiner. the only reason i bring up covid-45 is because he has bombarded me with right-wing, trump bullshit for years. the fact that he is so willfully ignorant and slavish to the dotard says plenty about him.

a cal 40 sails well? sure in breeze downwind it does.  anything else it is not substantively different than the 35, and is a stone in light air.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't understand why someone would question the "appropriateness" of someone else's choice of boat. Unless it is a Bayliner....There are so many choices out there. Support for the Editor from a Trumpster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

... FUCK Trump and the idiots he rode in on, what is the matter with you people who can't see what is going on?

Trump is actively setting up for Civil War Mk II

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longy said:

THREE STRIPPER POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget the mast for those sturdier strippers.

FOUR STRIPPER POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Don't forget the mast for those sturdier strippers.

FOUR STRIPPER POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 We all can agree that Snaggalese is tough to decipher at times ↑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ericson 35 is a good choice.

  • It sails decent enough.
  • It has a fine interior for the size.
  • He has some built-in good competition in his local fleet.
  • It's cruising worthy, family sailing casual.
  • Maybe the largest boat he can fit in his slip (not counting something like an 8 Meter with wooden boat maintenance requirements.)

Look at his last several boats. He's been heading towards something to relax/cruise on but made a bad detour with the SC33. That one was understandable. Back in the Ventucky days when Swenson was dominating the fleet with his SC27, the SC33 came out and one was snatched up by one of the better Ventucky sailors and became the hot boat of the fleet. Scot remembered those days but his glasses were rose-colored. Truth is, the SC33 is not a very good boat. Performance was "Ok" but cruising accommodations were never going to be New Girlfriend-worthy. But the SC33 had the best interior of any boat he's had. 

I've cruised for a week on an Ericson 35 and didn't have any complaints.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

 We all can agree that Snaggalese is tough to decipher at times ↑

I hadn't read that before I hit Submit Reply...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

But its interior dosnt look like this , and it dosnt fit in his slip.. Otherwise a good idea 

1982 Ericson 35

4 if you count the mast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

4 if you count the mast

6 if you count the 2 to the right above the seat

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VWAP said:

6 if you count the 2 to the right above the seat

 

 

7 including the one in Ed's pants 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch, Ed don’t lump all us Trumpers in one group.

Mad Max would be crying like a little bitch watching that E 35 rail down, double head Jib top and staysail blasting outta SD bay. Picture a blender below full of Margaritas to spiff the Grinders and Foredeck and yourself flipping a abacus feverishly calculating how many minutes you ain’t got on the Anarchy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kmcfast said:

Ouch, Ed don’t lump all us Trumpers in one group.

Mad Max would be crying like a little bitch watching that E 35 rail down, double head Jib top and staysail blasting outta SD bay. Picture a blender below full of Margaritas to spiff the Grinders and Foredeck and yourself flipping a abacus feverishly calculating how many minutes you ain’t got on the Anarchy...

good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

The Ericson 35 is a good choice.

  • It sails decent enough.
  • It has a fine interior for the size.
  • He has some built-in good competition in his local fleet.
  • It's cruising worthy, family sailing casual.
  • Maybe the largest boat he can fit in his slip (not counting something like an 8 Meter with wooden boat maintenance requirements.)

Look at his last several boats. He's been heading towards something to relax/cruise on but made a bad detour with the SC33. That one was understandable. Back in the Ventucky days when Swenson was dominating the fleet with his SC27, the SC33 came out and one was snatched up by one of the better Ventucky sailors and became the hot boat of the fleet. Scot remembered those days but his glasses were rose-colored. Truth is, the SC33 is not a very good boat. Performance was "Ok" but cruising accommodations were never going to be New Girlfriend-worthy. But the SC33 had the best interior of any boat he's had. 

I've cruised for a week on an Ericson 35 and didn't have any complaints.

that is about right. but if my sc 33 experience did anything, it confirmed that phrf sd doesn't know their asshole from the hole in their heard. they rated us at 99 - there isn't a chance in hell that pig would sail to that - and there wasn't a chance in hell they would correct it.

i applied for a cert for the 35, but no response. i am waiting to see how they are going to concoct a way to fuck me again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Editor said:

that is about right. but if my sc 33 experience did anything, it confirmed that phrf sd doesn't know their asshole from the hole in their heard. they rated us at 99 - there isn't a chance in hell that pig would sail to that - and their always wasn't a chance in hell they would correct it.

i applied for a cert for the 35, but no response. i am waiting to see how they are going to concoct a way to fuck me again.

Would be pretty hard to fuck you over with this one mate. Should get the same rating as the other E35 MkIIs… 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries Mate, Wait till Winnard gets the “Blue Light Special” Venture 21 back in the water. It’s a renaissance of old killer shitboxes...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Editor said:

... if my sc 33 experience did anything, it confirmed that phrf sd doesn't know their asshole from the hole in their head.

It can't be any worse than PHRF-NW. What a shit show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sc33 in PHRF-NW rates 117.  Usually a well sailed boat too. 

I like the rear transom windows because they make it look a bit like a small Express 37 (though not much else looks similar). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Editor said:

that is about right. but if my sc 33 experience did anything, it confirmed that phrf sd doesn't know their asshole from the hole in their heard. they rated us at 99 - there isn't a chance in hell that pig would sail to that - and there wasn't a chance in hell they would correct it.

i applied for a cert for the 35, but no response. i am waiting to see how they are going to concoct a way to fuck me again.

Have this gal go in for your rating review next time. 

201702241507137364526.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Have this gal go in for your rating review next time. 

201702241507137364526.jpg

Are those little blazer buttons? It would be really classy if they had the burgee of your yacht club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Alex W said:

The sc33 in PHRF-NW rates 117.  Usually a well sailed boat too.

PHRF-NW ratings do not correlate with ratings anywhere else in the country.

I've looked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

PHRF-NW ratings do not correlate with ratings anywhere else in the country.

I've looked.

Make IOR Great Again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It smells of Boat envy and stripper oil in here...Weird Funk. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Editor said:

that is about right. but if my sc 33 experience did anything, it confirmed that phrf sd doesn't know their asshole from the hole in their heard. they rated us at 99 - there isn't a chance in hell that pig would sail to that - and there wasn't a chance in hell they would correct it.

i applied for a cert for the 35, but no response. i am waiting to see how they are going to concoct a way to fuck me again.

Why did you get rid of the SC 33?  I was surprised when you got the Ericson, because it seemed like you had already tried that route and didn't like it. Not throwing shade, I think the Ericson is a cool boat.  I am looking for something similar and am just curious why you think it will work out better than the SC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fair questions! i was going for a dual purpose boat, and stupidly thought the 33 would sail close to that rating. btw, the pnw rating is correct for the boat. they are very similar to the j 29 masthead boat in speed, and that says it all. i think the 35 will be a "better" boat race-wise as it has an established rating (although phrf sd is already trying to fuck me - more on that later), and i thought it would be a better "cruising" boat as it has a much more comfortable interior. 

they are both pretty awful sailing boats in many ways, although the 33 is clearly a faster boat. we haven't raced yet, but we have certainly prepped the boat to be as fast as we can make it! so far, i am most pleased with the 35. i love the looks, vintage and usability. my only problem is that now i have to race benny mitchell head to head!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Editor said:

fair questions! i was going for a dual purpose boat, and stupidly thought the 33 would sail close to that rating. btw, the pnw rating is correct for the boat. they are very similar to the j 29 masthead boat in speed, and that says it all. i think the 35 will be a "better" boat race-wise as it has an established rating (although phrf sd is already trying to fuck me - more on that later), and i thought it would be a better "cruising" boat as it has a much more comfortable interior. 

they are both pretty awful sailing boats in many ways, although the 33 is clearly a faster boat. we haven't raced yet, but we have certainly prepped the boat to be as fast as we can make it! so far, i am most pleased with the 35. i love the looks, vintage and usability. my only problem is that now i have to race benny mitchell head to head!

J29 MHOB rate 111 in most areas of the country.(which is an established 30 year old rating) ONLY in the PNW do they rate 120!!! 

Was the SC33 similar in speed to the MHOB or MHIB? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Squalamax said:

J29 MHOB rate 111 in most areas of the country.(which is an established 30 year old rating) ONLY in the PNW do they rate 120!!! 

Was the SC33 similar in speed to the MHOB or MHIB? 

so we never raced against them, but the guys up there did and that's what they said. check out the ratings for sc 33's. only so cal fucks them at 99. we won one regatta at that rating, only by being better. everything else was a beating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I think it's pretty cool that there could be up to four Eri 35's on a start line.

right? very cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

PHRF-NW ratings do not correlate with ratings anywhere else in the country.

I've looked.

 

2 hours ago, Squalamax said:

J29 MHOB rate 111 in most areas of the country.(which is an established 30 year old rating) ONLY in the PNW do they rate 120!!! 

...

We've been though this before.  I was told that sometime in the 90's, PHRF NW & BC bumped the handicaps of most boats over 90 in their databases by 10%.

There were a couple of exceptions, the O30 for example didn't get the bump.

At least, that is what I was told about 10 years ago.  I had been out of sailing in the interim so I wasn't around for when the alleged bump took place or why it took place, but I have my suspicions assuming that was the case.

I do know that my old boat rated 138 when I sold it in the early 90s and when I bought a sistership in 2009, it was 152.  Exactly 10% more.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

 

We've been though this before.  I was told that sometime in the 90's, PHRF NW & BC bumped the handicaps of most boats over 90 in their databases by 10%.

There were a couple of exceptions, the O30 for example didn't get the bump.

At least, that is what I was told about 10 years ago.  I had been out of sailing in the interim so I wasn't around for when the alleged bump took place or why it took place, but I have my suspicions assuming that was the case.

I do know that my old boat rated 138 when I sold it in the early 90s and when I bought a sistership in 2009, it was 152.  Exactly 10% more.

 

I have heard that, but like you said not all boats were bumped. I guess they assumed that no boats over 90 would ever sail against boats that rate lower than 90? With todays smaller fleets that might be hard to do. 

A J29 MHOB at 120 sailing against a J109 at 69-72 will win every race(assuming W/L)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

That's crazy. PHRF was never meant to span that gap... 

It wasn't.  That's what happens in a pandemic year when many fewer boats are racing, and for an event which is attracting more one design boats and fewer PHRF boats.  This event was using crew limits based on boat length (something like the UK length/10+1 rule), but max 5 for any boat size.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

PHRF-NW ratings do not correlate with ratings anywhere else in the country.

I've looked.

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

PHRF-NW ratings do not correlate with ratings anywhere else in the country.

I've looked.

If I recall correctly from my days in the PH ratings wars, PHRF-NW ratings were reportedly "stretched" by ten percent.  So take the base and multiply by 1.10.  Not sure where the political action committees and party apparatchiks weigh in during the process. 

 

I see others also commented above my reply because of course I didn't read to the end of the thread before commenting.....  

Edited by Ned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

That's crazy. PHRF was never meant to span that gap... 

True, but what do you do when so many are opting to do the OD thing.

By my count, of the 51 boats registered, 37 were in an OD class (>70%).  In fact 4 of the 6 classes (there was no class 3) were OD

There were only 2 PHRF divs.  Class 1 appeared to be anything under 60 and there was only a 40 sec spread.  Still a fair amount, but not too bad.

Class 2 looked to be over 60 PHRF and 5 were within a 12 sec spread, which is pretty good thee days.  It was the remaining 3 boats that were between 141 and 228 that throws a wrench into the works.  Perhaps they could have tossed those three together into the vacant Div 3 - but a Laser 28 vs a SJ 24 is almost as ridiculous as a J/109 vs a SJ 24, and at least then all of Div 3 could have been in a tight 12 sec band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 12 metre said:

True, but what do you do when so many are opting to do the OD thing.

By my count, of the 51 boats registered, 37 were in an OD class (>70%).  In fact 4 of the 6 classes (there was no class 3) were OD

There were only 2 PHRF divs.  Class 1 appeared to be anything under 60 and there was only a 40 sec spread.  Still a fair amount, but not too bad.

Class 2 looked to be over 60 PHRF and 5 were within a 12 sec spread, which is pretty good thee days.  It was the remaining 3 boats that were between 141 and 228 that throws a wrench into the works.  Perhaps they could have tossed those three together into the vacant Div 3 - but a Laser 28 vs a SJ 24 is almost as ridiculous as a J/109 vs a SJ 24, and at least then all of Div 3 could have been in a tight 12 sec band.

You run the races and don't take it seriously... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Movable Ballast said:

You run the races and don't take it seriously... 

 

Yep, awards for random placings.  Otherwise it's sort of performance cruising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Movable Ballast said:

You run the races and don't take it seriously... 

 

Probably the best piece of advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I think it's pretty cool that there could be up to four Eri 35's on a start line.

Sort of a nautical version of this

fc0f680535e61a2a91470d1397851ada.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 12:25 PM, longy said:

THREE STRIPPER POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

A boat without a stripper pole is a boat not worth owning.

 

Also, fuck the haters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

You run the races and don't take it seriously... 

 

You're supposed to take racing Seriously?    NOW you guys tell me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Editor said:

right? very cool!

Did you paint the wooden toe rails white, or did plastic toe rails get installed?  

I like the look, and I think SD Bay is a great place for a boat like yours.  I'm not so sure about outside, but I think it will be great inside, and if you make the trek to Catalina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, Madmax said:

Ewww,

 

Why not get a Newport 30 while you're at it Scot!

From what I've seen over the years, scot has won with the boats he has had.

Why would it be different with this.

If the rating system works and the boat is sailed well it will win regardless of what kind of boat

Hacks will continue to lose and whine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Squalamax said:

I have heard that, but like you said not all boats were bumped. I guess they assumed that no boats over 90 would ever sail against boats that rate lower than 90? With todays smaller fleets that might be hard to do. 

A J29 MHOB at 120 sailing against a J109 at 69-72 will win every race(assuming W/L)

Except if you are sailing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of you may know, this E35 MkII Scot has, he bought from my father.

When my father had bought it 3-1/2 years ago, the Surveyor, the Broker, and Myself all told him not to buy this thing, it should go straight to the dump and be crushed by a Caterpillar dozer. He bought it anyway.  The first year, it wasn't safe to cross the harbor in it. The second year, we started the Mac race, sailed 2.5 hours to go below to find water almost up to the knee and dropped out. The third year, we made it to Mackinac Island 2nd in section 7th overall, then the engine locked up and we lost 6 weeks of prime summer sailing.

As the CMO (Chief Maintenance Officer) I have been through every inch of the boat, traced every wire, pipe, hose, etc.  I wrote a blog reporting monthly on the projects to repair/restore this POS (as I called it for the first two years). Monthly I'd report on the completed projects, and had done over 300 by the time Scot bought it. I sure had a ways to go on the restoration, and Scot has picked up the torch and continues to carry forward with it.  http://www.chicagonow.com/sail-lake-michigan/page/4

Scot texted and emailed me a quarter million times asking all sorts of questions about the boat.  Here's one of my favorite exchanges:

ST    while i lean way way way to the left, i think you lean to the right
 
GM    Don't start that shit, take it to PA!
 
ST    haha. hows the god damn boat?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, knuckles said:

Did you paint the wooden toe rails white, or did plastic toe rails get installed?  

I like the look, and I think SD Bay is a great place for a boat like yours.  I'm not so sure about outside, but I think it will be great inside, and if you make the trek to Catalina.

we painted the cockpit wood white while we were painting the cockpit white. i think it looks nice and clean. these boats never had wooden toe rails. and yes, most of what we do will be inside the bay. hoping for an ensenada race or two next year, with lots of day sailing in and out of the bay. trips to glorietta bay and catalina on the sked for next summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Some of you may know, this E35 MkII Scot has, he bought from my father.

When my father had bought it 3-1/2 years ago, the Surveyor, the Broker, and Myself all told him not to buy this thing, it should go straight to the dump and be crushed by a Caterpillar dozer. He bought it anyway.  The first year, it wasn't safe to cross the harbor in it. The second year, we started the Mac race, sailed 2.5 hours to go below to find water almost up to the knee and dropped out. The third year, we made it to Mackinac Island 2nd in section 7th overall, then the engine locked up and we lost 6 weeks of prime summer sailing.

As the CMO (Chief Maintenance Officer) I have been through every inch of the boat, traced every wire, pipe, hose, etc.  I wrote a blog reporting monthly on the projects to repair/restore this POS (as I called it for the first two years). Monthly I'd report on the completed projects, and had done over 300 by the time Scot bought it. I sure had a ways to go on the restoration, and Scot has picked up the torch and continues to carry forward with it.  http://www.chicagonow.com/sail-lake-michigan/page/4

Scot texted and emailed me a quarter million times asking all sorts of questions about the boat.  Here's one of my favorite exchanges:

ST    while i lean way way way to the left, i think you lean to the right
 
GM    Don't start that shit, take it to PA!
 
ST    haha. hows the god damn boat?

 

glenn and his dad gene have been great. they put a lot into this boat, as have i since purchasing it. i am very proud to own it and i hope to get it and keep it up towards the front as often as we can!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently involved in a resto job on another MkII in Mud Lake.  We found a lot of water damage in the decks and the port and starboard main bulkheads and cabin trunk.  The owner has stepped up and repaired all of the damaged areas plus more.  Must be something in water!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'm currently involved in a resto job on another MkII in Mud Lake.  We found a lot of water damage in the decks and the port and starboard main bulkheads and cabin trunk.  The owner has stepped up and repaired all of the damaged areas plus more.  Must be something in water!

they ALL have it, this boat included. gene and glenn had the decks re-cored, but for some reason, didn't do the cabin house in front of the mast where it is quite spongey. oh well, can't fix everything i reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, we tried to make it look better - nope! looks like shit. and it will be staying that way. already spent way too much on this thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Editor said:

yeah, we tried to make it look better - nope! looks like shit. and it will be staying that way. already spent way too much on this thing!

fair. just wasn't sure if it was the photo or actually a bit tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Editor said:

yeah, we tried to make it look better - nope! looks like shit. and it will be staying that way. already spent way too much on this thing!

Things are different from San Diego than Chicago. Boat is out of the water 7 months of the year here, and to get our fix of "sailing" in, we work on projects throughout the winter. On my list was to plug weld all of the old holes in the mast and boom, then prep them and the poles for paint. I would have built a tent on the ground, stuck a big torpedo heater in it and sprayed them all with Awlgrip.  Scot just bought the boat a few years early before I was done with her.  As he is in the water year 'round, projects like this aren't as easy.

 

Here's real proof of the difference between Chicago and San Diego, another great back and forth with Scot -

ST    how much of that pink soap did you put in the water tank??? taking us an hour and all it is is foam      we flushed it!

GM    Holy shit. You fair weather folks have no idea the pains we freezing fuckers go thru every year. The pink identifies it is human safe antifreeze and won't kill ya to drink it.  Freezing water in the head, engine, bilge pumps, water systems all get flushed with antifreeze in the fall so expansion of freezing water doesn't break things in half.  You'd be amazed at how many dorks don't flush their engine right and have the block cracked come spring time.

ST    yeah, we don't know nothin bout that shit!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CerveloR5 said:

Except if you are sailing it

OK Espo! So this is your new sock puppet? Warner wolf was outed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Squalamax said:

OK Espo! So this is your new sock puppet? Warner wolf was outed? 

Don't know what your talking about. 

I thought the post was pretty funny when I read it.

And accurate. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Things are different from San Diego than Chicago. Boat is out of the water 7 months of the year here, and to get our fix of "sailing" in, we work on projects throughout the winter. On my list was to plug weld all of the old holes in the mast and boom, then prep them and the poles for paint. I would have built a tent on the ground, stuck a big torpedo heater in it and sprayed them all with Awlgrip.  Scot just bought the boat a few years early before I was done with her.  As he is in the water year 'round, projects like this aren't as easy.

I read a few of your blog posts. Scot lucked out with this purchase, if he had to buy an Ericson 35 MkII, he bought the right one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, knuckles said:

I read a few of your blog posts. Scot lucked out with this purchase, if he had to buy an Ericson 35 MkII, he bought the right one.

and he "had" to buy one! all of these old 35's are in some form of shittery. the weren't built all that great anyway and most are ravaged by time, water and neglect. glenn did a lot of good stuff and that's why i went all the way to chicago to buy the damn thing. now that we've made it the way i want it - for the most part, i truly love the thing. i know racing it is going to be painful, but i am also going to be racing against other pain boxes, so i'll put my pain against theirs and see what up!

here is a shot of it from last friday after it splashed with a new bottom and waterline stripe.

a5 cf side 3.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Editor said:

and he "had" to buy one! all of these old 35's are in some form of shittery. the weren't built all that great anyway and most are ravaged by time, water and neglect. glenn did a lot of good stuff and that's why i went all the way to chicago to buy the damn thing. now that we've made it the way i want it - for the most part, i truly love the thing. i know racing it is going to be painful, but i am also going to be racing against other pain boxes, so i'll put my pain against theirs and see what up!

here is a shot of it from last friday after it splashed with a new bottom and waterline stripe.

a5 cf side 3.jpg

Keep it floating above it's lines!  Buy another dock box or carry the shit to cars.  

I grew up in the early 70's where these WERE the hot boats.  Brings a smile to my face.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does look very good.    I remember about ten years ago there were multiple threads on the Nordic 44.   Now prior to those threads there were more than a dozen of various sized Nordics for sale.   A month after the thread there were three.

Now is the time for Ericson 35 Mk2 owners to SELL!    List your boat in SA Classifieds, no Broker needed!   Mk1 (My favorite) and Mk3 owners you jump on the bandwagon too! 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Keep it floating above it's lines!  Buy another dock box or carry the shit to cars.  

I grew up in the early 70's where these WERE the hot boats.  Brings a smile to my face.  

the lines - don't get me started! these fucking things are ass-down squatters. i blew it by not having cf move everything up about 3"...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a couple have mentioned that they think the boat is stern down in the photo - it isn't, but i do know how squatty it gets back there. i would reckon that most of the crew are going to spend a lot of time around the mast area...

a5 side cf sml.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Squalamax said:

OK Espo! So this is your new sock puppet? Warner wolf was outed? 

Pretty Funny.  Espo does seem like a Cervelo guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites