Sign in to follow this  
Mid

America

4 minutes ago, Laker said:

Great, we have anecdotes of advancement in the face of white privilege.  I know many very intelligent people who have "made it" without white privilege.  But....they have all been given a lot of help on the way.  They educated themselves into a position required in society.  In their population, they are a minority, however.  That is like taking a sample of Chinese immigrants in La Jolla and basing one's concept of China on that.

Horatio Algernon was a concept set upon a population crying for hope.

Waaaa, waaaa, waaaa! 

Let me guess-you are white.

3 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Yep makes about as much sense as the left calling all cops killers hunting black men huh...

Can you please cite were the entire left are calling all cops killers, hunting black men?  I really would like to know where you came up with this ? 

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

How's our federal funding for the Arts doing? 

What makes you think the 'arts' are entitled to federal funding?

2 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

I am an example of a racist

thanks for the honesty

49 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

20 U.S. Code § 954

dummy

45 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

Because you consume them.

4 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

When I went to school I was encouraged to go into the world and make something of myself.. But now youth are taught to disdain the wealthy and demand  they be given the world because they are entitled to it. (See my initial post here.)

Immediate fail.

Ranting old people speech does not a rebuttal make.

This sock sounds vewy vewy familiar.

Dabnis?

3 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

I lived it. My life and my freind's lives are examples of it. That is data.

nope. It is not. It is anecdote. Anecdotes are not data.

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Immediate fail.

Ranting old people speech does not a rebuttal make.

This sock sounds vewy vewy familiar.

Dabnis?

It's a little happy-jack-esque but not quite. Definitely a sock from the unwashed pile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

That's total bullshit. America is the most generous nation on the planet by far at home and abroad.  

PC?

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

It's a little happy-jack-esque but not quite. Definitely a sock from the unwashed pile.

Another talking Bravo Bravo sock?

51 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I have no integrity

Yes, I understand that now.

11 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

nope. It is not. It is anecdote. Anecdotes are not data.

And when you have a pile of anecdotes, that is what you have; a pile of anecdotes. 

13 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Immediate fail.

Funny how you say I am an 'immediate fail', but my portfolio says otherwise.

1 minute ago, We are Rimas! said:

You're an artist?  Advertising?  Had you pegged for doing caricatures in Old Town.  

1 minute ago, We are Rimas! said:

We can't see your portfolio, but we can see you. Shorty's right.

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
10 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

We can't see your portfolio, but we can see you. Shorty's right.

Trailer park Trumpublican

- DSK

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Trailer park Trumpublican

- DSK

I'm leaning toward Truckee trailer trash Trumpublican

• Like 2

What's wrong with living in a trailer park?  Its still better than your mommy's basement.

4 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

What's wrong with living in a trailer park?  Its still better than your mommy's basement.

Nothing wrong with living in a trailer park that takes the trash out.

Then again, there's only so many rooms at the WH and Mar a Lago for them to be rehoused.

2 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

Waaaa, waaaa, waaaa! 

Let me guess-you are white.

Supposedly the Irish are not good for much. But look.....we have had a recent president that is half Irish.  Shows what can be done by applying oneself.  Good for you.  (Isn't there supposed to be something purple involved here?)

9 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

I’ve also been to China about 20 times. The USA is fucked up in many ways and I don’t have much hope right now. But China? Hell hole. You don’t know what you are talking about.

In Beijing the pollution is so bad many days you can’t see 100 feet and it smells. Little kids wearing masks and coughing. The average people are poor and work in horrible conditions. People in cushy office jobs work 350 days a year, 12 hr days, make 30% of what we make in the west, often sleep at their desks and get screamed at. CCP members get nice cars and buy iPhones and Gucci. The state directly or indirectly owns all large businesses. Corrupt and sometimes it was frightening to do business there, afraid of crossing somebody. Look out the window flying over and it’s thousands of miles of wall to wall factories and smog. People brainwashed with misinformation to love China, just like Merica.

Rimas is right that since the last 25 years our American lives and economy have been propped up by this Chinese manufacturing, pollution and low cost labor. This is true for Canada and Europe also. You get your nice life on the backs of these people if you shop at Walmart or Target.

Point taken. I should have taken the time to explain that America discharges three times the CO2 per capita than China does with 1/4 of the population. The only reason we aren't a similar hellhole is because we took steps to protect our environment along the way. All that has been reversed by Executive Order, so it won't take the United States any time at all to catch up. I read yesterday, that it's expected Jeff Bezos will become America's first trillionaire by 2026, meanwhile, the minimum wage in Georgia is $5.15 an hour.

I hate focusing on how bad other countries are when there is so much wrong at home. We used to lead by example, now we are a bad example.

7 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

There have been plenty of examples of the left doing these kinds of things...

Really, how about a citation ? 

I think you got nuthin' but Reich Wing lies 

as per usual

11 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

I lived it. My life and my freind's lives are examples of it. That is data.

That is anecdata moron.

16 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Best in the world in my case! 

I think you proved my point.  You got yours, right?

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I think you proved my point.  You got yours, right?

Am I supposed to be ashamed of that? 

Sorry, not Sorry... 

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

Am I supposed to be ashamed of that? 

Sorry, not Sorry... 

This odd mentality you have.  I hope it's not catching.  No one said to be ashamed, although that's often a strawman Republicans put forth.

13 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

This odd mentality you have.  I hope it's not catching.  No one said to be ashamed, although that's often a strawman Republicans put forth.

What's odd about it? The ability to come to this country with nothing and succeed is what makes this country so great. I'd love for more people to experience it, but it doesn't come for free... I hope creating something from nothing but one's will and talents does "catch on". 

14 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

What's odd about it? The ability to come to this country with nothing and succeed is what makes this country so great. I'd love for more people to experience it, but it doesn't come for free... I hope creating something from nothing but one's will and talents does "catch on". 

The bootstrap autofellationist. Funny how often that happens.

25 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

... ah fuck it. Carry on.

55 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

The US of A is 27th, 27th! in income mobility. So there are 26 countries where you would have had an even better shot of living better than your parents, than in the US.

Myth

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked-the-social-mobility-of-82-countries/

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

The US of A is 27th, 27th! in income mobility. So there are 26 countries where you would have had an even better shot of living better than your parents, than in the US.

Myth

Where did I say the US was number one? 

2 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Where did I say the US was number one? 

Your elk, above, wrote it . . 

The ability to come to this country with nothing and succeed is what makes this country so great. 

gullible child

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

gullible child

worked for me...

Of course it's much less work to do nothing and shit all over those that did... Life is full of choices... Choose wisely.  

23 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Myth

Amusingly one of those 26 is where he came from. Bowel Movement isn’t bright.

29 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

worked for me...

Of course it's much less work to do nothing and shit all over those that did... Life is full of choices... Choose wisely.  

The sad part is that you're perfectly happy with 27th place, and moving down.  You got yours, right?

Just now, Grrr... said:

The sad part is that you're perfectly happy with 27th place, and moving down.  You got yours, right?

Why do you even care? 

9 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Why do you even care? 

Because people like you are what is behind the USA slipping to 27th place since the days when it actually was what you seem to think it is now.

Why do you even care? 

Because I want to see our country moving forward and improving, not backsliding into a racist, immoral, nationalist, financially failed state.  Why don't you care?  Oh right.  Because you got yours already.

Just now, Grrr... said:

Because I want to see our country moving forward and improving, not backsliding into a racist, immoral, nationalist, financially failed state.  Why don't you care?  Oh right.  Because you got yours already.

You obviously have not read my posts. 

1 minute ago, Movable Ballast said:

You obviously have not read my posts. 

The side that you support is doing exactly what I stated.  That means you support their agenda.

If you don't, then stop supporting them.

• Like 1

Just now, Grrr... said:

The side that you support is doing exactly what I stated.  That means you support their agenda.

Oh this one...

2 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Yeah that sounds like I could give a shit, Yeah you're right. Geez... 

5 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Oh this one...

Yeah that sounds like I could give a shit, Yeah you're right. Geez... 

You're determined not to get it.  You'll never understand how facetious the whole 'bootstrap' theory is when people like you try to apply it universally.  And if you support the right, you support the ideology that their leader espouses.  I.e., you need to own Trump.  If you disagree with him, stop voting for him and his party until they get their act straightened out.  Otherwise, as they say, your "talk is cheap."

Try educating yourself.

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/abs_mobility_summary.pdf

1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

You're determined not to get it.  You'll never understand how facetious the whole 'bootstrap' theory is when people like you try to apply it universally.  And if you support the right, you support the ideology that their leader espouses.  I.e., you need to own Trump.  If you disagree with him, stop voting for him and his party until they get their act straightened out.  Otherwise, as they say, your "talk is cheap."

First, where have I ever mentioned the term "bootstrap"?

Second, where have I ever said my experience works universally?

Third, Why do you think that if you support one path that one must support it completely? That is asinine unless of course you are an ideolog. Which I am not, there are many references of me in this forum disagreeing with the hard right.  

You have an interesting habit of putting word into peoples mouths that they didn't actually say... You really should stop it. 

I realize the visuals are that hope is being rejected and the uplifting stories of American advancement are being cut down.  Some call it the tall poppy syndrome.  The reality is that no man or woman is self-made.  They are a product of a culture.  A little hubris is being asked here.  A little acknowledgement of being able to take advantage of an opportunity because that culture encourages it is great.  To think that other people have different circumstances, that other countries have a different approach that may bring about better results for a larger portion of the population or that there is any inherent wrong in taking your place in economic life is what seems to be an issue.  I loathe the use of hyperbole by L'Orange.  It does no one well.  This is on the same level

5 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Republicans support more pollution. Republicans support having corporations (and thus the actual humans at the top of those corporations) rights superior to the rights of citizens.

Republican are not ALL racists, but they are all more comfortable with outright racism than they are with civil rights. Republicans believe that torture is good when -they- do it.

Republicans are in favor of turning America into a land of lords and peasants, where the average worker will not have a chance at a good education for his kids, will not have access to good health care, will have a declining standard of living and a declining life span.

They've already done all this stuff. All the Republicans that did not agree with all the above, those people are not Republicans any more.

- DSK

• Like 4