Sign in to follow this  
Caca Cabeza

faint oil sheen in diesel exhaust

Asking for a friend...

Faint oil sheen from diesel exhaust. Well maintained, mid hours (~2,000 hours), 60HP Volvo turbo diesel. Usually run at ~ 1,800-2,000 RPMs (with a max of ~3,000+). New to me boat so I am not sure about the specifics of what the exhaust looked like when the engine was put in brand new in 2008, but I know the previous owner, and he kept the boat in ready to go around the world condition (which he did 1 7/8 times - hence me). So I know the maintenance was spot on.

Thoughts?

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Sawdust in the crankcase?

Bueller, anyone?

Probably a leaky injector, fuel sheen. Not the end of the world.  Get some hrs with load on it and see if it improves.  As long as you aren't blowing a smoke stack of some sort when motoring I wouldn't stress over it. Just need to do injectors next time you are somewhere service is available.

• Like 1

I agree with Sassfrass.
Just a quick+ check exhaust line for inline waterlock/muffler fitted, remove that, clean thoroughly and retest. These can catch and hold Diesel residue at startup. 

example:

BEF96B4A-6C35-4FF4-ABFB-4BEA97B62D68.jpeg

^^^^^

Seen one apparently pouring out fuel onto the water, more than a sheen.  Turned out to be a carbon'd up exhaust muffler thingy.

uncombusted fuel in exhaust can also mean an injector isn't working at spec. 

On 10/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, Caca Cabeza said:

Asking for a friend...

Faint oil sheen from diesel exhaust. Well maintained, mid hours (~2,000 hours), 60HP Volvo turbo diesel. Usually run at ~ 1,800-2,000 RPMs (with a max of ~3,000+). New to me boat so I am not sure about the specifics of what the exhaust looked like when the engine was put in brand new in 2008, but I know the previous owner, and he kept the boat in ready to go around the world condition (which he did 1 7/8 times - hence me). So I know the maintenance was spot on.

Thoughts?

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Sawdust in the crankcase?

Bueller, anyone?

Incomplete combustion can mean many things 

first ...service air filter , clean injectors , service injector pump and clean the carbon buildup  out of the exhaust vented loop 

if incomplete combustion continues contact an engineer for more trouble shooting 

Yeah, I'd go with a sticking injector that isn't closing. I found an excellent injector shop in P.V. Had all kinds of injectors on repair.

Walked in with my little injectors and the guy had no English but looked at them and immediately said "Yanmar"

You're in Mazatlan. They do have a big shrimping fleet and so there will be a shop near the harbour that services injectors. They are cheap to do in Mexico.

Usually run at ~ 1,800-2,000 RPMs (with a max of ~3,000

Jeez. Run it hard a bit. It needs to be run at higher RPMS or you'll carbon it up and/or polish the cylinder walls.

Odds are they could be cleaned and reset without having to replace the nozzles, more than likely they are just copper seal rings that a shop can source.   If I was super worried I would put a five gallon bucket at the exhaust and run a bit.  Let the water in the bucket settle out and see how much fuel you are dealing with.  If it's just trade amounts then would probably run it hard and recheck.  If it's alot right out of the gate then injectors to start.

Do you have a travel plan to get up to SD yet?

Put a chemical injector cleaner thru it first before worrying about stripping it out for cleaning/testing.