Baconator

Questions

1. How many people have serious long term problems after surviving covid19

2. Is there any substantial evidence of re infection once you have had it?

3. How many people under the age of 60 and without an existing " contributing" condition have died from it.

4. Has the "death to infection" rate declined.

It appears, to me, there is a lot of info being ignored, that put this pandemic into true perspective.

1. Unknown. Depends on the definition of 'serious' and 'long-term'. There are no definite and final studies on that. A small study estimated that up to 50% of patients might suffer from fatigue. This might sound somewhat belitteling. Fatigue is however a medical diagnosis and it can be so harsh in some people that it puts them out of work and disables them permanently.

2. No. At present this is only anecdotal, but more and more cases are reported. As we head into the 'second' wave in the northern hemisphere, I'd expect to hear more of these stories.

3. As the global figure is probably way underestimated, there is no definite answer to that. I have also not seen tables that combined the factors age and pre-existing conditions. The number for people younger than 60 is very low. With a quick look at the Swedish and German numbers, I would say the percenate of deaths younger 60 is between 3 and 5 per cent, regardless of pre-existing conditions.

4. yes, that is apparently so. A contributing factor seems to be that over the northern summer, a higher percentage of younger people got infected.

On your statement: that goes beyond numbers and is subjective. It probably also depends on where you are.

I think it is safe to say that the interpretation of scienctific data has not been as politically distorted in all ways since the times of Galileo Galilei.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baconator said:

3. How many people under the age of 60 and without an existing " contributing" condition have died from it.

It appears, to me, there is a lot of info being ignored, that put this pandemic into true perspective.

does your other sock match this one?

23 hours ago, Matagi said:

1. Unknown. Depends on the definition of 'serious' and 'long-term'. There are no definite and final studies on that. A small study estimated that up to 50% of patients might suffer from fatigue. This might sound somewhat belitteling. Fatigue is however a medical diagnosis and it can be so harsh in some people that it puts them out of work and disables them permanently.

2. No. At present this is only anecdotal, but more and more cases are reported. As we head into the 'second' wave in the northern hemisphere, I'd expect to hear more of these stories.

3. As the global figure is probably way underestimated, there is no definite answer to that. I have also not seen tables that combined the factors age and pre-existing conditions. The number for people younger than 60 is very low. With a quick look at the Swedish and German numbers, I would say the percenate of deaths younger 60 is between 3 and 5 per cent, regardless of pre-existing conditions.

4. yes, that is apparently so. A contributing factor seems to be that over the northern summer, a higher percentage of younger people got infected.

On your statement: that goes beyond numbers and is subjective. It probably also depends on where you are.

I think it is safe to say that the interpretation of scienctific data has not been as politically distorted in all ways since the times of Galileo Galilei.

Thanks for your perspective.. Interesting

On 10/14/2020 at 3:12 PM, Baconator said:

There are several studies underway.  It is too early to draw conclusions because with the disease commencing so recently, there is not a "long term" .  There is a body of inconclusive evidence building of cardiovascular effects from CV19. In particular myocarditis. 

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/is-covid-19-primarily-a-heart-and-vascular-diseases    

https://vascularnews.com/new-study-shows-covid-19-causes-blood-vessel-damage/

and important paper in the Lancet

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(20)30342-X/fulltext

No.  "substantial".  8.2 million people have been tested positive.5.3 million people have recovered. Reports of reinfection are less than 10. 

Approximately 42,000 in the US.  The cut off in CDC data is 65. Contributing condition is harder to define.

Most likely , yes. It is very hard to measure but the most valid measurement is "death to hospitalization" ratio which has improved due to more knowledge improving protocols and Remdesivir getting EUA . I forecast it will improve further as more therapies are tested

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, Baconator said:

JFC, why don't you got to your City, County or State Health Officials and ask that?

Asking a serious question on this site is just fucking stupid.

• Like 1

There are more rational folks here than let on.

Wondering what treatments people can use at home to stay out of the hospital.  Its hard to breathe, coughing fits, lots of fatigue, brain fog (I didn't need any help either).  I'm on oral steroids and antibiotics

So far laying down and not talking or moving are the only remedies that keep the cough suppressed.  Not as bad as pneumonia or bronchitis but the difficulty breathing is a little scary once in a while.  Local urgent care won't see patients with COVID - teledoc has been helpful.  Urgent care refer to ER only.  Seems like the ER is the last place I want to go.

Hope everyone that is healthy takes it seriously - not fun.  Be safe.

Anything helps -