ordkhntr

Pole in aft cabin on older Hallberg-Rassy's

What is it?  Its got to be something  obvious I'm completely missing. I'm guessing its not a midget stripper pole, and its not a compression post for a mizzen. Emergency steering maybe?  

160501101018_HR352aftcabin.jpg

21 minutes ago, ordkhntr said:

What is it?  Its got to be something  obvious I'm completely missing. I'm guessing its not a midget stripper pole, and its not a compression post for a mizzen. Emergency steering maybe?  

Tie bar for something on deck?

I would be surprised if the designers of such a furniture wagon would make any accommodation for deck sailing gear. Must be to stabilize a cockpit table, or plumbing for the shower, or a drain...heh.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Nothing on deck gives it away.

170131064237_HR352sailing11.jpg

I don't know, that wart on deck just aft of the hatch seems to correspond to the pole location. I'm thinking emergency steering as suggested above.

• Like 1

Rudder post extension to fit external tiller if the wheel fails

As said above

hallberg-rassy_352_drawing.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s another plan w rudder post...seems to line up...D153997E-D230-435F-9DB8-598C66F47C3D.thumb.jpeg.07f61ee5bec418258bbde782274ced10.jpeg

anticonception Swedish style, the complementary roll of barbed wire is in the adjacent locker

Glad my guessing skills are still up to parr. We've been kind of eyeing these lately but that bar is just in a terrible place. Even if you redid the bunk to make it more like the modern ones you would still have the pole. 

4 minutes ago, ordkhntr said:

Glad my guessing skills are still up to parr. We've been kind of eyeing these lately but that bar is just in a terrible place. Even if you redid the bunk to make it more like the modern ones you would still have the pole. 

Unless you could engineer a removable section. Just what you want with emergency steering.

Yeah, I would think you could find a way to remove the pole so you could stow it with the barbed wire contraceptive.

I would use it to get leverage for superior love-making. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Boracho said:

I would be surprised if the designers of such a furniture wagon would make any accommodation for deck sailing gear. Must be to stabilize a cockpit table, or plumbing for the shower, or a drain...heh.

You might want to educate yourself on how seriously Hallberg-Rassy takes sailing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, See Level said:

Rudder post extension to fit external tiller if the wheel fails

As said above

Newer ones have a hole in the deck that you can put the tiller through to the rudder.

But that seems reasonable.

27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Newer ones have a hole in the deck that you can put the tiller through to the rudder.

But that seems reasonable.

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of how that works? I wonder if its possible to fit the old "pole in the bed" ones with a removable one? 

22 minutes ago, ordkhntr said:

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of how that works? I wonder if its possible to fit the old "pole in the bed" ones with a removable one? 

Not without ripping up the bed...which would annoy my wife at the moment.

Mine's a 1997 53, so there is quite a bit more room back there in the stern to work with.

It's got a plate like this in the deck over the bed...

image.png.36eecfa6d3f46e46c4b6c55cba2d5653.png

You can see there the top of the rudder post, there's a spot where the emergency tiller is supposed to go in.

392073231_Rudder-HR46--HR53.thumb.jpg.e5203a93e541a6a29bc3ae348d059883.jpg

More drawings and pictures from HR.

HR 36,39,42,46,53.pdf

_HR 36-42-45-53Rudder.pdf

Think all you guys are looking at the Wrong end- look at the schematic.

To me   it looks like the photo is of the forward cabin (wrap around V style berth vs the aft two separate fore and aft each side berths)  and it looks like a tie bar for a baby inner forestay.

If you blow up Ishs nothing to see here sailing photo:

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Nothing on deck gives it away.

170131064237_HR352sailing11.jpg

it looks like the lazy weather jib  sheet is leading around something  stay like in that location.

No way that thing is in the bow, look again at Ish’s pic, you can clearly see a tube sticking out of the deck at the back end of the after cabin roof.

Disagree,  look at the cabin layout:

Then look at the vessels plan layout:

To me it looks like its the forward v berth not the aft cabin. And then the photo supplied by Ish seems to confirm a babystay not shown on the drawings or rigging layouts.

A lot of vessels of this era had stays or baby stays to stabilize mast pump when offshore.

To me the interior photo looks like the pointy bow like end not the wide ass stern section.

A section or tube that small accommodating a connection to a rudder post while ignoring torque over the distance flys in the face of how scandaholligans build boats.

The other possibility is that its an anchor hawse pipe but we are not privy to the deck layout of the actual vessel in question and what if any mods may have been done in her lifetime.

I stand by my synopsis and will gladly acquiesce  if proven wrong.

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Think all you guys are looking at the Wrong end- look at the schematic.

To me   it looks like the photo is of the forward cabin (wrap around V style berth vs the aft two separate fore and aft each side berths)  and it looks like a tie bar for a baby inner forestay.

Only problem with that is she has no baby stay..... she has  twin lowers either side...

1 minute ago, Cisco said:

Only problem with that is she has no baby stay..... she has  twin lowers either side...

Agree , and to my mind  its a steep baby stay that said I have seen steeper. So whats the lazy sheet in the photo snaking around?

29 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Agree , and to my mind  its a steep baby stay that said I have seen steeper. So whats the lazy sheet in the photo snaking around?

Looks like the forward lower shroud.

What is that metal dingus on the deck between the deck hatch and the anchor locker?

That thing would almost be in the place for a deck plate for an inner forestay or something. I think ares is just through the deck with a backing plate, as there's no bar through the V-berth. But if that is some sort of hardpoint for attaching a forestay and that's to support it, maybe that makes sense?

Hawse for anchor chain makes no sense, that's too far back. I don't know if it's true for all HRs, but the anchor locker is usually way forward with a watertight bulkhead separating it from the rest of the boat. Ours is.

50 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

To me it looks like its the forward v berth not the aft cabin. And then the photo supplied by Ish seems to confirm a babystay not shown on the drawings or rigging layouts.

A lot of vessels of this era had stays or baby stays to stabilize mast pump when offshore.

To me the interior photo looks like the pointy bow like end not the wide ass stern section.

A section or tube that small accommodating a connection to a rudder post while ignoring torque over the distance flys in the face of how scandaholligans build boats.

The other possibility is that its an anchor hawse pipe but we are not privy to the deck layout of the actual vessel in question and what if any mods may have been done in her lifetime.

Look at the labels on photos from HR's web site...so I think we're back to stern.

image.thumb.png.6974693822a35da62a07dbea220ebc53.png

image.thumb.png.7be03b3204e893a49ce14bf42b5219db.png

Its the stern. I've seen video tours of HR's for sale that show the aft cabin with the stripper pole. I'll see if I can dig one up when I get a break. 

6 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Look at the cabin top over the berth - the V-Berth is almost completely under the foredeck while the aft cabintop extends much further over the berth.

Holy mackerel, you people are bored. Go sailing, get a life!

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Easy for you to say........

NB... I have just sat down after an arduous day in the garden... almost time for a G&T...

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Waiting for first snow and borders to open. Yup, boring.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Maybe Navig8tor should stay dockside until he can figure out which berths are in the bow and which berths are in the stern.

9 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Maybe Navig8tor should stay dockside until he can figure out which berths are in the bow and which berths are in the stern.

I will stand corrected but look at the photos and then the plans. I work in the Marine industry.

Ain't staying dockside I have a boat to go sailing on and here the weather is finally getting better.

4 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

I will stand corrected but look at the photos and then the plans. I work in the Marine industry.

Ain't staying dockside I have a boat to go sailing on and here the weather is finally getting better.

What exactly do you do in the marine industry.

3EE923EB-0F1A-455F-9A6B-E1F18F0FB077.gif.543f6e708c44a0f02b70423b220559bc.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Couple more weeks...just so it warms up enough that we don't get condensation at night.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

What exactly do you do in the marine industry.

3EE923EB-0F1A-455F-9A6B-E1F18F0FB077.gif.543f6e708c44a0f02b70423b220559bc.gif

Maybe he fits out proas?

Cheers,

W.

54 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Couple more weeks...just so it warms up enough that we don't get condensation at night.

Wimp. Lot colder here & we've been sailing on & off since I got out of quarantine.

Mind you drip catchers under the bronze portholes have climbed up the priority list to the point where a lot of the timber is rough-cut waiting for me to stop fucking with another Raspberry Pi boat toy and get on with it... Only place condensation occurs, what I get for making traditional opening bronze ports.

Funnily enough finishing the install of the Dickinson Alaska heater has become more of a priority too.

FKT

Maybe I’m missing the point - how is the emergency tiller pole in a bad location? It gives you something to hold on to - divides the starboard from port side if you’re heeled over and gives you something to secure a leecloth to. 

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Maybe I’m missing the point - how is the emergency tiller pole in a bad location? It gives you something to hold on to - divides the starboard from port side if you’re heeled over and gives you something to secure a leecloth to. 

and handcuffs. Don't forget the handcuffs.

For when you just don't have enough chloroform.

C'mon, it happens to the best of us from time to time.

• Like 1

It would be a nice solid attachment point. 

I had thought of rebuilding the aft bunk, make it a bit bigger an instead of a single on the other side have a bench seat more like some of the newer ones. The pole would make it quite difficult to do that. 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Maybe I’m missing the point - how is the emergency tiller pole in a bad location? ...

Miffy, it's the muffy. That ill-placed pole is exactly where my face wants to be on a good night.

8 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

I work in the Marine industry.

Hopefully not designing interior layouts. 

• Like 1

It looks like that cabin is laid out for two friendly but not too friendly types.  Heads forward, feet aft and banging into the pole.  There aren't supports for a filler cushion like what is shown on the V-berth.  It looks like they expect the couples to be at the front of the boat.

It does seem like an odd interior design choice for a center cockpit cruising boat.

I would just cut that flush with bunk and deck, no need for it.   

34 minutes ago, IMR said:

I would just cut that flush with bunk and deck, no need for it.   

Here in the home of the Cup one must obtain a Category 1 certificate for offshore passages.

Steering – the rudder will be checked for strength, there must be an emergency steering facility, and any alternative steering methods need to be demonstrated by the crew.

That extension to the rudder stock could well save your life if the wheel pedestal quadrant or cables fail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Here in the home of the Cup one must obtain a Category 1 certificate for offshore passages.

Steering – the rudder will be checked for strength, there must be an emergency steering facility, and any alternative steering methods need to be demonstrated by the crew.

That extension to the rudder stock could well save your life if the wheel pedestal quadrant or cables fail.

Oh I know about emergency steering requirements, I have done a few Cat 1 races over the years.   I was joking in my suggestion to cut out 3 feet of upper rudder stock.   

But you could move the e-rudder attachment to top of the bunk, nothing in the rule state the e-tiller is on deck, so put on the e-tiller below deck and steer from the bunk.   

2 minutes ago, IMR said:

Oh I know about emergency steering requirements, I have done a few Cat 1 races over the years.   I was joking in my suggestion to cut out 3 feet of upper rudder stock.   

But you could move the e-rudder attachment to top of the bunk, nothing in the rule state the e-tiller is on deck, so put on the e-tiller below deck and steer from the bunk.   

If you got really fancy you could put a tillerpilot down there and a remote up top.

37 minutes ago, IMR said:

But you could move the e-rudder attachment to top of the bunk, nothing in the rule state the e-tiller is on deck, so put on the e-tiller below deck and steer from the bunk

Maintaining a proper lookout can be a problem whilst asleep.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, ordkhntr said:

I'm guessing its not a midget stripper pole,

You seem to be lacking in education. Clearly this is a midget + a pole. Maybe it was for somebody's uh cousin to practice.

17 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Wimp. Lot colder here & we've been sailing on & off since I got out of quarantine.

Mind you drip catchers under the bronze portholes have climbed up the priority list to the point where a lot of the timber is rough-cut waiting for me to stop fucking with another Raspberry Pi boat toy and get on with it... Only place condensation occurs, what I get for making traditional opening bronze ports.

Funnily enough finishing the install of the Dickinson Alaska heater has become more of a priority too.

FKT

You do you.

I've got a window right over my head, and the fucking thing drips condensation on us at night when it's too cold outside. I could run a dehumidifier off the batteries, but my wife has little interest in freezing her ass off all night while it rains indoors.

Ordinarily, we point the boat at the equator long before that shit starts happening. Another couple of weeks and it will be done.

21 hours ago, IMR said:

It looks like they did just that on some of the newer ones. This is a drawing of a HR36. 

36mkiisideview.gif

So the new, improved HRs offered emergency steering which gives zero possibility of seeing where you are going.

But hey, it allows an unimpeded bonkbed.

46 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

So the new, improved HRs offered emergency steering which gives zero possibility of seeing where you are going.

My Catalina 50 has a watertight deck plate above the rudder post. If you need the emergency tiller, you unscrew the plate, slide in the post extension, and steer from the cockpit. I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't do the same with these HR's so you can have your bonkbed and etiller it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

No, there's a hole in the deck with a plate over it you can remove to put the emergency tiller through.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IStream said:

My Catalina 50 has a watertight deck plate above the rudder post. If you need the emergency tiller, you unscrew the plate, slide in the post extension, and steer from the cockpit. I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't do the same with these HR's so you can have your bonkbed and etiller it too.

That's how the newer ones do it, too.

You can see the cover plate with the four knobs right over the throw pillow, where I put the arrow. This is our boat.

image.thumb.png.952c09b33696b2835d2fab5a4c9a5249.png

4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Nice to see that at last they have their priorities the right way round.