Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Kindness or the Crusher?

50 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Kiwi election on Saturday.:)

Don't get a vote but if I did, it'd be Ahern. Seems competent, good handling of the crisis, no major scandals or fuck-ups.

Competent is good in a politician. Needs rewarding with a 2nd term at least.

FKT

52 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Don't get a vote but if I did, it'd be Ahern. Seems competent, good handling of the crisis, no major scandals or fuck-ups.

Competent is good in a politician. Needs rewarding with a 2nd term at least.

FKT

Yeah, if I could vote here I'd happily vote for Ardern.

We've been in NZ for two crises and she has impressed us  both times.

And Labour as a party seems to line up closer to my own politics, from what I've read.

Jacinda has put NZ on the world stage in a good way for so many things in the last couple of years. (Not being disrespectful using her first name, Grog. It's an Oz/Kiwi thing. (Bob Hawke was always Bob, it's a gesture of affection here)

Why would they ditch her?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Jacinda has put NZ on the world stage in a good way for so many things in the last couple of years. (Not being disrespectful using her first name, Grog. It's an Oz/Kiwi thing. (Bob Hawke was always Bob, it's a gesture of affection here)

Why would they ditch her?

Because voters are fickle. And all too often, ungrateful

- DSK

Collins looks more like Piggy Muldoon every day

...... and twice as nasty

22 minutes ago, wal' said:

Collins looks more like Piggy Muldoon every day

...... and twice as nasty

My bigger fear is the National Party are taking a leaf out of the R  (USA) playbook and introducing lies and innuendo,  NZ voters are reasonably well informed and worldly, they have witnessed how well Donald et al  have used this and manipulated it, hopefully Voters here  will roundly reject that approach here in NZ.

The truely Dumb and Disenfranchised in NZ remain too apathetic to Vote which may be a good thing but an interesting phenomena is emerging  anecdotally a lot more people are exercising their right to Vote,  just an observation I have Voted early and the place was packed so not a documented statement -yet, possibly because they do not want a repeat of the Donnie disaster here, hopefully.

As a quick addendum for those not familiar Piggy Muldoon was a National Prime Minister  back in the early 1980's he was reasonably well respected with regard to his fiscal acumen but he allowed power to get the better of him,  he announced a snap election whilst drunk and promptly lost. 

The incoming Labour Govt proved more right wing in many respects than the Nats of the day dispensing with farmer subsidies and introducing all manner of quite draconian policies unheard of for the time.

Roughly speaking our National Party could be generally  considered aligned to the  Republicans our Labour Party not unlike the Democrats but there the comparison ends.

I hope she gets another term. 

The shooting and Covid have proved her compassion and steel.

They've also given her an "out" for promises on housing and child health and welfare.

She may win gov with enough seats to get rid of the deadwood coalition partner.

Then we'll see. She'll and her party will have  no one to hinder nor  anywhere to hide.

Well except Covid corner.

I too have no vote, but given the size and location of NZ I can only imagine cool, reasonable and pragmatic head of state.

Jacinda Ardern has delivered beyond that and should be trusted to run the country again.

You have a real world leader there in Jacinda Ardern. Wish we had one here in the US. And we know her name! Just like we do all the prior NZ PMs and Premiers, like, you know, that guy what's his name, Rogernomics, something like that...

and Kindness smashes it!

8.22pm

Vote count as of 8.15pm

By Rachael Dexter

We'll return to the rhyming speech in a minute, but the tally is quickly moving up - as of 8.15pm 78 per cent of all votes had been counted, with Labour taking a solid 49 per cent of the vote with 64 seats projected so far, followed by the National Party on 27 per cent, with 35 seats projected so far.

Here's what the tally looked like just a few minutes ago:

The vote count as of 8.15 AEST.

The vote count as of 8.15 AEST.CREDIT:HTT

Good. Having one sane and competent neighbouring country is nice.

Methinks there might be a change in leadership in a couple of Oz States soon though. One of them richly deserved at least, not sure about the other yet.

FKT

• Like 1