Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

MERCURY mountaneer 2008,80k MILES

NEWISH TIRES, NEW BATTERY. 2WD

Neighbor wants 8K for it. Kelly BB and Edmunds say it's worth 1.5-4.9K......

It's close, it's a known guy who probably would stand behind any issues, but.................

Thoughts?

(We were really looking for a Volvo V70 wagon. or a Subaru Forester, or Legacy, but  they're like hens teeth down here.)

Are you quoting trade-in prices or retail prices.  If it's a color you like and is in mint shape, probably not a bad deal.  Hard to haggle with a neighbor/friend.  

11 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

NEWISH TIRES, NEW BATTERY. 2WD

Neighbor wants 8K for it. Kelly BB and Edmunds say it's worth 1.5-4.9K......

It's close, it's a known guy who probably would stand behind any issues, but.................

Thoughts?

(We were really looking for a Volvo V70 wagon. or a Subaru Forester, or Legacy, but  they're like hens teeth down here.)

The V70 and the Forester are AWD, and the car you're looking at is 2WD.... do you need a car tomorrow?

Another possibility is to locate the car you really want and pay the transport fees to Florida. My son purchased a used car in southern Maine that was delivered to Delaware. The expense and hassle factor vary but are sometimes negotiable.

11 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Are you quoting trade-in prices or retail prices.  If it's a color you like and is in mint shape, probably not a bad deal.  Hard to haggle with a neighbor/friend.  

Private sale prices.

6 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Another possibility is to locate the car you really want and pay the transport fees to Florida. My son purchased a used car in southern Maine that was delivered to Delaware. The expense and hassle factor vary but are sometimes negotiable.

I don't want anything from anywhere they use salt/sand on the road.

19 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

The V70 and the Forester are AWD, and the car you're looking at is 2WD.... do you need a car tomorrow?

Yesterday.

30 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Private sale prices.

I don't want anything from anywhere they use salt/sand on the road.

Yesterday.

Offer him a price your comfortable with.  Or check out CARVANA.... 

I don't care how many/few miles it has on the clock, it's 13 years old.   No way, not for that price.

and if it has the V8 engine, double-no-way.

Wifey had an 08 explorer for a few years, it was a GREAT car and I was pissed when she traded it in, but that V8 went through coil packs like scooby snax, and it's just not worth anywhere near that kind of money at that age.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Figment said:

I don't care how many/few miles it has on the clock, it's 13 years old.   No way, not for that price.

and if it has the V8 engine, double-no-way.

Wifey had an 08 explorer for a few years, it was a GREAT car and I was pissed when she traded it in, but that V8 went through coil packs like scooby snax, and it's just not worth anywhere near that kind of money at that age.

My father had one of those, was pretty unrefined and beastly, sucked gas, but got him around. Can't believe that used price. They should pay you to take it.

Those V8s also have bearing issues and timing chain issues. The guides are plastic and it eats them and jumps the chain. Newer replacement guides are better constructed. May have already been replaced. But if the bearings go you will be getting a new engine. 

This has the 4.0L V-6 And it turns out to be an "05 model.

I agree that's a ton of money for a 15 year old car. Unless the engine and transmission are both brand new, it's at most a $5000 car, if that much. 

Ya gotta wonder how many hurricanes/ floods it has under it's belt? I'd be leery of any used car from south of the Mason Dixon.

I'll take road salt over flooded electrics any day.

NO!  IMHO  -  If in Florida there are a large number of Retiree cars and trucks.  I checked out Autotrader and numerous Subaru and Toyota wagons, minivans SUVs available at the same miles and price.  Lexus sedans as well.   Used Car prices have spiked but if in Florida and reliability is a big deal to you then look elsewhere.   

If all I was going to spend was $8k. I would look at Toyota.  Beware that the 2007-13 RAV 4 has some issues.  Lots of former Rent a Cars in Florida.  Flood victims.   If possible I would spend more and get a 2014+ RAV 4,   Older Highlanders seem to go forever.  

The problem with a Ford Explorer / Mountaineer is that the cost to fix outweigh any cheap sales price.  

My recs

Matrix / Pontiac Vibe - Late Production - Small Station wagon - Sorry I do not have years but last couple of years of production were very good, earlier has issues

Scion IM / Corolla Hatchback manual transmission - Not sure exactly what the auto transmission is in that

RAV 4 years 2014 on up

Sienna Van - check this out for issues not sure what years

Highlander - pretty much any year but do a good google search.  

There are several other SUV's but right now the cost is rather high.  

If only $8k that just screams Camry 2.5L. 6 Spd transmission.  Be careful of the year, google it.  $8k just is not a lot of money to work with for a reliable vehicle when used car prices are rocketing upward. 

1 hour ago, Kent H said:

NO!  IMHO  -  If in Florida there are a large number of Retiree cars and trucks.  I checked out Autotrader and numerous Subaru and Toyota wagons, minivans SUVs available at the same miles and price.  Lexus sedans as well.   Used Car prices have spiked but if in Florida and reliability is a big deal to you then look elsewhere.   

If all I was going to spend was $8k. I would look at Toyota.  Beware that the 2007-13 RAV 4 has some issues.  Lots of former Rent a Cars in Florida.  Flood victims.   If possible I would spend more and get a 2014+ RAV 4,   Older Highlanders seem to go forever.  

The problem with a Ford Explorer / Mountaineer is that the cost to fix outweigh any cheap sales price.  

My recs

Matrix / Pontiac Vibe - Late Production - Small Station wagon - Sorry I do not have years but last couple of years of production were very good, earlier has issues

Scion IM / Corolla Hatchback manual transmission - Not sure exactly what the auto transmission is in that

RAV 4 years 2014 on up

Sienna Van - check this out for issues not sure what years

Highlander - pretty much any year but do a good google search.  

There are several other SUV's but right now the cost is rather high.  

If only $8k that just screams Camry 2.5L. 6 Spd transmission.  Be careful of the year, google it.  $8k just is not a lot of money to work with for a reliable vehicle when used car prices are rocketing upward. 

I bought my brother's 2008 Lexus E350 6cyl 3.5 from his widow in June when he passed.  110K miles, garage kept, never driven in winter.  It is a very fancy Camry and is a joy to drive.  My only repair so far was a 6.5yo battery that failed.  The interior is like new, a few scratches on the exterior.  Very happy so far.  Plan to park it for the winter and drive my high mileage RAV4.  I'm a disgrace to Detroit, but I do like the Toyotas.  

This sort of buying depreciated older 'nice' cars will probably be my MO for the rest of my life.  I'm only driving 6-8K miles/year so I definitely don't need a young and virile new car.  With the 2nd car available, 100% reliability is not of utmost importance.

An added bonus in MI is that no sales tax is charged when buying from a family member saving me $480.

Good luck.   

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I bought my brother's 2008 Lexus E350 6cyl 3.5 from his widow in June when he passed.  110K miles, garage kept, never driven in winter.  It is a very fancy Camry and is a joy to drive.  My only repair so far was a 6.5yo battery that failed.  The interior is like new, a few scratches on the exterior.  Very happy so far.  Plan to park it for the winter and drive my high mileage RAV4.  I'm a disgrace to Detroit, but I do like the Toyotas.  

This sort of buying depreciated older 'nice' cars will probably be my MO for the rest of my life.  I'm only driving 6-8K miles/year so I definitely don't need a young and virile new car.  With the 2nd car available, 100% reliability is not of utmost importance.

An added bonus in MI is that no sales tax is charged when buying from a family member saving me $480.

Good luck.   

:D

I like Toyotas, and Hondas (of a certain vintage) But I do not like their prices. Toyo's and Hondas that are about 10 Y/o will fetch as much as a brand new one.

I'd love to find a decent Subaru Legacy, or Forester, or a Volvo wagon, there just aren't any around here for a reasonable price. I'm not paying $18K for a 10 y/o car.

Lexus -  look for 350 in the name.   That is the 3.5L. 6 cylinder and more importantly the 6spd automatic transmission.     The 8 cylinder 400, 430, 460 tend to need more $ as they get older. 

RX 350 for the SUV   

GS 350 slightly more sporty sedan but rare

The other issue that is in Toyota and Lexus favor is that parts are available.  Some of these brands as the years go by the parts get harder to find.  Once something works for Toyota they just do not change it.  Instead we find the same transmission, pumps, doo hickey,  in many cars and trucks.  So if buying a older car with reasonable miles (Retiree's car).  Toyota and Lexus 3.5 L  six is a great choice. 

Volvo - Because of the ownership Volvo - Ford - now Geely (SP?).  parts can be tough to find

Subaru - I really have no clue on parts.   

Ask Snaggy......Troll built SAAB, all. day. long.

:ph34r:

If you like both Saab and Subaru try the Saab 9-2X Linear !    That is an Impreza with a Saab badge.  There is also the Saab 9-2X Aero which is a Subaru with a turbo...perhaps a few other things as well.  Nice cars but for reliability try the Linear.  They only came in hatchback. 

It is a SAABaru !...........   

The used car market is just outlandish right now.  Lots of money buying up used cars for the Superstores and now Carvana....which against all odds appears to be profitable delivering used cars to peoples front doors.   If you can wait to buy a used car that is a very good idea.  My opinion is that the used car market cools off post Covid or if Covid continues then next summer........If you need a car right away then consider a lease or finance.    We expected Hertz to auction off their entire fleet.  Did not happen.  Plus lots of Wall Street money buying cars for Carvana and perhaps some other operations.   Just wait at least to Spring. 

I expect your neighbor will get $8k for that Mountaineer. However.....NO THANKS .... That $8k is going to turn into $10k or more rather quickly.  Repair costs are going up as well....that is if you can get in.  Transmission will ZOOM you past the $10k cost quick. 

New Cars and Trucks - Avoid CVT Transmissions or at least do considerable research.   That new Mazda CX30 was really well thought out.   

Not getting a turbo. Don't need it, and they don't like the weather here.

I'd really like a 2000 Subaru Forester with 100K on the clock, but I know that's a long shot.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Not getting a turbo. Don't need it, and they don't like the weather here.

I'd really like a 2000 Subaru Forester with 100K on the clock, but I know that's a long shot.

Turbos have become much more reliable in the past many years.  I'm a one less thing to fail and they aren't cheap.  My driving style does not fit, I'm pretty conservative.  Where they were great, was flying, getting you higher.  

7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

This has the 4.0L V-6 And it turns out to be an "05 model.

nope. the headaches are lining up to start. 

18 hours ago, Kent H said:

2009-2013. Good reliable basic transportation with decent plastic cladded cargo space and runs on regular gas. Think small Honda Element. 2WD or AWD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyclone said:

2009-2013. Good reliable basic transportation with decent plastic cladded cargo space and runs on regular gas. Think small Honda Element. 2WD or AWD.

matrix/vibe are basically corollas, basic transportation. my wife has an '07, refreshed the breaks...it only has 124,000Km.

14 hours ago, Kent H said:

....The used car market is just outlandish right now.  Lots of money buying up used cars for the Superstores and now Carvana....which against all odds appears to be profitable delivering used cars to peoples front doors.   If you can wait to buy a used car that is a very good idea.  My opinion is that the used car market cools off post Covid or if Covid continues then next summer.......

Outlandish is right.   Wife's lease is up in two months and the buyout is 3k less than the trade-in.   She's a total leaseaholic but money talks this time, she's keeping it.

as if on cue... a coworker's idiot husband just sold his truck FOUR HOURS AFTER LISTING IT.      dipshit.   

On 10/14/2020 at 10:12 PM, Mrleft8 said:

MERCURY mountaneer 2008,80k MILES

Thoughts?

Ive haive beene holdeng my tougue, butte finde the vehicelle in questione ugley, notte lusteworthey ............              sorrey Merle, juste my oppinione.            :)

12 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ive haive beene holdeng my tougue, butte finde the vehicelle in questione ugley, notte lusteworthey ............              sorrey Merle, juste my oppinione.            :)

Fine with me. It's not for me, it's for my wife, who'll use anything she gets for a battering ram.

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

Fine with me. It's not for me, it's for my wife, who'll use anything she gets for a battering ram.

Our you takkeng precautiones at bedtimes?              :)

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Our you takkeng precautiones at bedtimes?              :)

Yes, dear.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

speaking of used cars, If I can get this for $7500 whatdya think? https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/d/fort-myers-wow-66k-miles-2008-audi-a4/7213346820.html

Sweet!  I like your tastes!     I do not have the time and NOT a VW guy at all but definitely worth finding out what engine transmission combo and researching them.  In general I would not buy an Audi but.... at that price worth a look and some time.  Saw a Lexus IS250 hardtop convertible, 60K miles for only $12k in Missouri. It is a HARDTOP convertible and still nobody wants it!  I have no clue about the situation with VW parts availability.  I would guess any VW or Audi Dealer works on that since it is a 4 cylinder engine.  There might be a reason for the low price and if there is parts and service would be it if we can believe the CarFax is correct. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

speaking of used cars, If I can get this for $7500 whatdya think? https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/d/fort-myers-wow-66k-miles-2008-audi-a4/7213346820.html

Make sure the timing belt has been changed (60K miles) and the electric motor for the top work properly. My wife's boss has one for sale for considerably less (3K IIRC), but it needs both those items addressed, which presses the numbers up to where you're talking.

Audi's are not cheap to maintain.

• Like 2

I just bought a fully loaded ‘10 Expedition Eddie Bauer EL for $8k 2 weeks ago after my ‘08 was rear ended and totaled a month ago. I’m regarded by family and friends as a savant at finding them and myself deals on great used cars, but finding anything decent right now takes more effort than I’ve ever had to put forth. I spent two weeks shaking every tree in the Midwest and seeing nothing but turds for ridiculous money until this one popped up in Michigan’s thumb and I jumped on it two hours after it was listed. Eight grand for an ‘05 Mountaineer? Ehhhhh...you can do much better.

Side benefit is that the payoff value on my totaled truck was $7500; there is a silver lining to high used values. 

On 10/14/2020 at 7:12 PM, Mrleft8 said:

it's a known guy who probably would stand behind any issues, but.

Really. "Oh, YOUR transmission failed. Sorry to hear that"

• Like 1

Well the Mountaineer is out. Now she's looking at a Mazda Tribute. I'll see if I can get some info on it today, or tomorrow.

We have a 2011 escape (same car) and its been very reliable. Only has 70k now, but had it for almost 10 years with basically only tires brakes and oil. 

We had an 03 prior to that and it was similar. The 2nd gen escape is in demand here. Had numerous out of the blue offers to buy it, and there are few available in used car lots. I don't think people realize the Mazda is the same vehicle.

BTW get the V6, the 4c is very harsh and a bit slow. The V6 is sporty revs high and goes pretty good. 

On 10/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, Cal20sailor said:

At any price, I would think you had a small dick.  Gold chains and shirt unbuttoned?

im curious, where the hell does the "gold chains and shirt unbuttoned" crowd drive Audi convertibles? ive seen that crowd almost exclusively in camaros, mustangs, and the like.  a gold Audi convertible is more the dinosaur / country club crowd ladies on their way to a bridge game or hip replacement consult... 

27 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

im curious, where the hell does the "gold chains and shirt unbuttoned" crowd drive Audi convertibles? ive seen that crowd almost exclusively in camaros, mustangs, and the like.  a gold Audi convertible is more the dinosaur / country club crowd ladies on their way to a bridge game or hip replacement consult... 

Dudes in Audi convertables: white hair, red face, basal cell carcinoma. 

24 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Dudes in Audi convertables: white hair, red face, basal cell carcinoma. 

you just described 20% of the sailboat owners in the USA

37 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you just described 20% of the sailboat owners in the USA

:) I'm getting there myself, TBH. 

i hear ya, both my parents have had pretty serious melanoma.  Will only put the top down for the 5min drive to/from the kids school... and will keep a stash of baseball caps under the drivers seat for sure 

54 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

:) I'm getting there myself, TBH. 

add in squamous cell and you got 30%!

58 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

add in squamous cell and you got 30%!

Had a biopsy off the tip of my nose 1.5 weeks ago... 

On 10/18/2020 at 9:29 AM, Mrleft8 said:

Well the Mountaineer is out. Now she's looking at a Mazda Tribute. I'll see if I can get some info on it today, or tomorrow.

Gone off the lot before I could even look at it this morning.... I'm guessing another dealer doing the auction/wholesale "snap them up and ship em out" thing...

Seems like you ruled it out... but I'll add my late two cents. I had a 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.0L V6 that I bought from an older friend at around 50K on the clock. It had been babied, and taken care of and I tried to do the same. I liked how it drove and It was comfortable, but a bit underpowered and didn't have great gas mileage. 

Somewhere around 105k it just started giving up. I replaced all a bunch of age related maintenance stuff, but then the thermostat housing exploded on a road trip (made of plastic and apparently common failure), then the radiator cracked (also plastic, but also a common issue due to poor initial quality and higher than standard cooling system pressure), then the transmission started to slip, clunk, stutter, and pause between shifts, so had that rebuilt, (also apparently common). I thought great, I should be able to get a decent amount of additional life out of this thing, and then it started popping misfire codes. 

I did a bunch of research and apparently also a common problem, but it could be caused by a bunch of things. So, I replaced the usual suspects, no joy. Took it to a couple trusted shops, they couldn't figure it out and re-replaced the most common suspect (coil pack). No joy, and now I have two perfectly good coil packs sitting in my shop.. So, I start hunting for small chafed wires in the wiring harness bundles because that is another "common" potential cause. No joy. I'm now getting to the point where I can't pass inspection to get my registration renewed.

A few weeks later I finally figured out I had a very small head gasket leak. a little bit of coolant would get into a cylinder once the engine cooled, but it once it warmed up the problem would go away. I fixed that with a liquid headgasket coolant system product, but eventually it would have needed new head gaskets. That was the final straw and we traded it in on a new Subaru Ascent. 

Anyway, It was nice up until it wasn't and then it went downhill fast.... 

11 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

I turned 63 last week have run marathons and raced bikes in a serious manner and have a better sailing resume than you do.  I don't need a car to get laid.

10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I turned 63 last week have run marathons and raced bikes in a serious manner and have a better sailing resume than you do.  I don't need a car to get laid.

Weird flex, but Congrats.  I'm sure that the trim available to 63 year old ex-marathon runner, motorbike racer cal20 sailors w great sailing resumes is absolutely PRIMO! 

This vehicle we're looking at/for isn't intended to be pussy bait.... It for my wife to drive to and from work in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeR80 said:

I'm sure that the trim available to 63 year old ex-marathon runner, motorbike racer cal20 sailors w great sailing resumes is absolutely PRIMO! 

Hese gonna be beatin' them offe.  Juste macke siure the zoome caulle ist overe firste................                     :)

• Like 1