eastbay

What is this dinghy?

Hopefully this thread can serve to help others identify all those lovely obscure dinghies out there..... here is the first one. It’s been offered to me for a good price, I’m looking for a versatile tender/sailing dinghy that can be rowed, motored, or sailed. It looks like it might be a good one although there is something apparently going on with the rig, the boom looks wrong and the whole sail looks kinda wrong. 

The sail insignia looks like a ghost, but I don’t think it’s a Ghost dinghy.

Sorry about the orientation I can’t figure out how to rotate the images.

bow view.jpeg

image3.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

POS10?

It is the  

Int Bathtub 10. with auxiliary power 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eastbay said:

Hopefully this thread can serve to help others identify all those lovely obscure dinghies out there..... here is the first one. It’s been offered to me for a good price, I’m looking for a versatile tender/sailing dinghy that can be rowed, motored, or sailed. It looks like it might be a good one although there is something apparently going on with the rig, the boom looks wrong and the whole sail looks kinda wrong. 

The sail insignia looks like a ghost, but I don’t think it’s a Ghost dinghy.

Sorry about the orientation I can’t figure out how to rotate the images.

- Keep your sailing performance expectations quite low.

- That simply isn't a boom. You will need to find a piece of alum tubing about the same diameter as the mast. Maybe a chunk of Laser top section or boom if it isn't too big. I can't see the gooseneck assembly, but that likely needs to be addressed.

-  Rig the sail like this, but you only need a single block on the traveler and a single block/becket on the boom.

See the source image

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

- Keep your sailing performance expectations quite low.

- That simply isn't a boom. You will need to find a piece of alum tubing about the same diameter as the mast. Maybe a chunk of Laser top section or boom if it isn't too big. I can't see the gooseneck assembly, but that likely needs to be addressed.

-  Rig the sail like this, but you only need a single block on the traveler and a single block/becket on the boom.

too bad I am on the other coast otherwise I could donate* a old broken top section .

*I would have to collect the super duper super super secret ILCA fees on the top section though 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Major Tom said:

POS10?

Harsh!

i thought the scow bow way ahead of its time....

how does one tell a pos from a sweetie pie? 

It looked to me like this one is single skin (no liner) which might make it lighter; the length/beam looks better than some pregnant pumpkin seed types; the flat bottom may make it stable.... the vertical sides and transom do make it jon boat like I guess.

is it in fact doomed to fail?

Doom and unmitigated failure!

Actually it seems like a nice little boat. Not likely to have blistering performance under sail. I think an Opti rig would serve it better.

FB- Doug

Good evening,

Your boat is a "Peanut" dinghy and originates from one of the Scandinavian countries. Elsewhere in the world it is known as a "Nutshell" dinghy.

I doubt if the rig in your picture belongs to the boat. The boat was designed and supplied with a balanced lugsail rig.

With a bit of Google searching you should find whatever info you need. Expect a sailing performance from "poor" to "extremely poor" but have fun nevertheless.

image.thumb.png.1a1665231c5d4397610e12b4893ed532.png

A plastic knock off of one of these. Which as I understand it were perfectly fine dinghies.

The rig isn't authentic, but that shouldn't matter much. Find a closet pole or equivalent for a boom and go sailing.

SHC

I went and looked at the boat, it was cool but a bit heavy and the comments here about miserable sailing performance kind of put me off.

Interestingly,, the “ghost” type sail insignia was repeated on the aluminum “knees” at the transom; so I guess that does have something to do with the class of dinghy, and that it is the right sail.

The sail was super soft, like an ancient worn out spinnaker.

I also don’t know what the oblong hole with rubber grommet would be used for.

The seller said that his family rented one at a lake, where there were a fleet of them for rent. Fell in love with the boat and hunted for and found one. But he didn’t know the name of the class or much else about it. No nameplate.

Here’s the knee with ghost insignia:

6B93D470-324E-4756-ADE8-7C2EC8158D7E.jpeg

Here is what the bottom looked like. It is quite similar to the ones posted above, perhaps with a bit less rocker and more jon boat-like

E46224F5-01CB-487F-975A-948F23FBAB2A.jpeg

D2297360-BBCB-4B0D-B4B9-CB1C69E93B78.jpeg

Anyway, I’ve moved on in my search and would love to find a Trinka 10 or similar. No rush. I’m enjoying the DeWitt more since I’ve gotten more used to maneuvering (folding myself) in the thing.

• Like 1

I'll post boat number two in the oddball boat club

An excellent candidate for Int. Bathtub 8

Screenshot_20200919-112653_Facebook.jpg

7 hours ago, wannabefd said:

I'll post boat number two in the oddball boat club

An excellent candidate for Int. Bathtub 8

Screenshot_20200919-112653_Facebook.jpg

Except for the orange color, which is offensive to the eyes and also likely to be damn hot in the sun, I like it.

Modern, sleek, easy to keep clean.

FB- Doug

On 10/23/2020 at 5:49 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Except for the orange color, which is offensive to the eyes and also likely to be damn hot in the sun, I like it.

Modern, sleek, easy to keep clean.

FB- Doug

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/232107/The-Juxtaposition

The famous Yamaha 9

• Like 2

That a great find Bill.

I saw the add on Facebook as well and for $100 thought it would be a fun looking tender for my sailboat. Alas it sold in a couple of days.

4 hours ago, wannabefd said:

That a great find Bill.

I saw the add on Facebook as well and for $100 thought it would be a fun looking tender for my sailboat. Alas it sold in a couple of days.

I stumbled across it visiting the Y&Y website. The article and picture were on the front page. I had seen the photo you posted the day before. Serendipitous.

• Like 1

Here is another mystery dinghy. I purchased it in the PNW, in Kennewick, WA. The previous owner, Marcus, is an awesome dad, who bought the boat to build a sandbox for his kids. Luckily he never got around to it. 

LOA = 15' 11 1/2"     or 4.86 m

beam = 5' 11"         or 1.8 m

I have been looking for similar dinghies on SailboatData.com 

Sweeet 16, X-boat, Corsair, CL-16, Point Jude 15, and Ross 490 all look similar in many dimensions, but the rudder is always different, and none have the unique, molded fiberglass setup near the transom for a trolling motor.

The dinghy is fiberglass, there is no HIN, it came with a wooden mast (looks homemade) that is 23' in length. 

boat ii.jpg

boat_i.jpg

rudder iii.jpg

boat_iii.jpg

33 minutes ago, EEEEE said:

Here is another mystery dinghy. I purchased it in the PNW, in Kennewick, WA. The previous owner, Marcus, is an awesome dad, who bought the boat to build a sandbox for his kids. Luckily he never got around to it. 

LOA = 15' 11 1/2"     or 4.86 m

beam = 5' 11"         or 1.8 m

I have been looking for similar dinghies on SailboatData.com 

Sweeet 16, X-boat, Corsair, CL-16, Point Jude 15, and Ross 490 all look similar in many dimensions, but the rudder is always different, and none have the unique, molded fiberglass setup near the transom for a trolling motor.

The dinghy is fiberglass, there is no HIN, it came with a wooden mast (looks homemade) that is 23' in length. 

boat ii.jpg

boat_i.jpg

rudder iii.jpg

boat_iii.jpg

Dunno for sure, don't recall seeing one that size, but Canadian company Bombardier built a lot of close copies of other dinghies. The ones I do have experience with are good boats, well built and well balanced. The straight cockpit sides and something about the overall look of it make me think this might be the answer.

FB- Doug

Cool. Thanks, Doug. I guess if I try to race her, I will say she is a copy of a Sweet 16. I will keep digging through the specs and try to find out what she is a copy of, get the right-sized mast and boom and call it good. I don't think the local yacht club is too picky about racing rules. They race on the Snake River in Idaho. They say it takes lots of skill to win a race when there is no wind! But of course, that could all change if I win a race.

EEEEEric

Looks like a Ranger 16 and dimensions are similar.