B.J. Porter

Congrats Jacinda Ardern & Labour

Seems they got the straight majority in parliament, National lost seats and NZ First got a giant boot in the nuts.

I'm not a Kiwi, but I've spent a lot of time here with Ardern through both of the big crises in her tenure and we've been very impressed. I can't speak as much to their social programs and economic policies as they don't affect me much so I have no real experience with them, but from what I've read it seems that if I were a Kiwi I'd likely be a Labour voter.

• Like 3

Could there be a lesson there for other pols? Handle COVID effectively and you will be rewarded. The opposite is true.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Acceptance speech.

Gracious.

If you can get round the funny eccint :)

Look who’s talking !!! :D 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Could there be a lesson there for other pols? Handle COVID effectively and you will be rewarded. The opposite is true.

It's pretty easy to lock down an island with 14 approved points of entry.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-resources/resources/registers-and-lists/places-of-first-arrival-seaports/

The US has 328 and that's just for ships   https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry

Of course, you can actually sail into any of thousands of ports on the coasts and phone in.  That's just to do it legally.

Then of course there is the 3987 miles of land border with Canada (please add the 1538 miles with Alaska) and the 1933 miles with Mexico.

I don 't think there are a billion air entries and exits in NZ as there were in the US in 2018. https://www.bts.dot.gov/newsroom/2018-traffic-data-us-airlines-and-foreign-airlines-us-flights

I'm sure you consider the comparison fair though.

4 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-resources/resources/registers-and-lists/places-of-first-arrival-seaports/

The US has 328 and that's just for ships   https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry

Of course, you can actually sail into any of thousands of ports on the coasts and phone in.  That's just to do it legally.

Then of course there is the 3987 miles of land border with Canada (please add the 1538 miles with Alaska) and the 1933 miles with Mexico.

I don 't think there are a billion air entries and exits in NZ as there were in the US in 2018. https://www.bts.dot.gov/newsroom/2018-traffic-data-us-airlines-and-foreign-airlines-us-flights

Archived for next time you talk big about how Trump's travel ban was so-o wonderful

- DSK

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Archived for next time you talk big about how Trump's travel ban was so-o wonderful

- DSK

Got a cite for that assertion?

4 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Could there be a lesson there for other pols? Handle COVID effectively and you will be rewarded.

Horgan is on track for the same result here - majority looks certain even though 1/2 the voters are pissed at him for calling the election early during the crisis.

That fact that the Provincial Liberals have swung right and been stepping on their dicks regularly hasn't hurt his chances either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Trump Supporters.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Trump Supporters.jpeg

That's pretty but still smells  a lot like a loser farting.

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

New Zealand needs to address its exploding inequality, just as the US does. 

Good article here . . 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/31/new-zealands-astounding-wealth-gap-challenges-our-fair-go-identity

Standard military strategy in battle is to reinforce the successful and hope the laggards hold their own.  This strategy seems to be used more and more in economic situations.  Every drop in economic activity is dire according to business leaders.  I would rather have a few people lose the ability to afford a hot tub than have people grow hungry.  In the days of the first Georges, the concept of gentlemanly governance allowed for many of the concepts that lead to the American Revolution.  The actions of people like Walpole, the first prime minister, were in support of an underclass.  Unfortunately this concept died quickly.  I realize the rebirth of gentlemanly governance would be a real push in the US, but maybe it may work in New Zealand.  Where was L'Orange taught his manners?

8 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Then of course there is the 3987 miles of land border with Canada (please add the 1538 miles with Alaska) 

Considering that Canada has done substantially better at managing the COVID crisis than the USA, please explain why that statement is relevant.  

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

That's pretty but still smells  a lot like a loser farting.

Something you would be extremely familiar with.

8 hours ago, Saorsa said:

That is as meaninglessly idiotic as the rest of your posts.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That is as meaninglessly idiotic mean spirited as the rest of your posts.

FTFY.

33 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

Considering that Canada has done substantially better at managing the COVID crisis than the USA, please explain why that statement is relevant.  

To be complete in stating the size of the borders.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Something you would be extremely familiar with.

Yeah, you and your little buddies following my every post makes it inevitable.

I mean, could you please  increase your social distancing by another yard or so?

It’s almost as if playing it straight is more effective at stopping a virus than bullshitting is, and leaders who play it straight and lead get rewarded. 

• Like 1

All Trump had to do was

• clearly communicate the seriousness of the pandemic
  • put the countries interest first
  • take advice from the CDC
  • give financial support to those most affected
  • encourage people to work together and educate them  about masks and social distancing
  • support all governors in managing the virus
  • use it as a the best reason ever to move with the zeitgeist and do single payer  

Simple really; even a racist, philandering, tax cheating psycho dullard could do it, and if they did they would be re-elected in a landslide.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, toad said:

All Trump had to do was

• encourage people to work together and educate them  about masks and social distancing
  • use it as a the best reason ever to move with the zeitgeist and do single payer  

Simple really; even a racist, philandering, tax cheating psycho dullard could do it, and if they did they would be re-elected in a landslide.

Easy, dimwits can only see Trump and not the everyday, normal operation of the public health Service.

Issued on January 17

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/HAN00426.asp

Transcript of CDC February 3

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0203-coronavirus-update.html

Dr. Nancy Messonnier:  I want to give you an update on another activity.  The Department of State is bringing more people back from Wuhan.  The first plane arrived last week.  More are planned.  Over the weekend CDC sent four additional teams to specific Department of Defense locations where those planes will arrive.  These passengers, like the ones in March air reserve base, will be under Federal quarantine that will last 14 days from when the planes left Wuhan, China.  Medical staff will monitor the health of these people, including temperature checks and observation for respiratory symptoms.  Medical care will be readily available at the first onset of symptoms.  We do not believe these people pose a risk to the communities where they are being temporarily housed as we are taking measures to minimize any exposure.  As I look around me at the staff working on this outbreak here at CDC, I see a lot of people who worked on the 2009 h1n1 pandemic.  Rather than coming from abroad, that virus was on our doorstep when we recognized it.  We didn’t have much chance to prepare.  Today we are again seeing the emergence of the new virus that poses a very serious public health threat.  This time we do have time to prepare, and we are preparing as if this were the next pandemic.  The goal of our public health response is to detect and contain introduction of this virus with the goal of preventing sustained spread of 2019 Novel Coronavirus in this country.  Strong measures now may blunt the impact of this virus on the United States.  We would be happy to take questions.

01-Feb Biden - . We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering.
02-Feb De Blasio - New Yorkers, I always say, are not intimidated easily. New Yorkers should go about our lives, continue doing what we do. . . . We understand some things about this disease.
13-Feb de Blasio -  “We have an extraordinary public health apparatus here in New York City . . . and what became clear to me was it was really about telling the people of our city, this is something we can handle …
24-Feb Chinatown SF - Pelosi - precautions have been taken. The city is on top of the situation."
26-Feb Dr. Oxiris Barbot (NYC health commissioner) - “We are encouraging New Yorkers to go about their everyday lives and suggest practicing everyday precautions that we do through the flu season.”
10-Mar Cuomo "if you are not a member of the vulnerable population then there is no reason for excess anxiety,"
02-Mar de Blasio tweet -  “I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives and get out on the town despite Coronavirus.”

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Mr. Clew was on the phone with colleagues in China. They were in a group, talked about how they had traveled with family over the holiday, were saying how safe we'd be there. He said, but you won't let US people in. Nervous laughter. No, no way can people from US enter, sorry! Hope someday you can...

3 hours ago, toad said:

All Trump had to do was

Yeah but how the hell is he going to make any money hawking hydroxychloroquine? How is Kushner going to blackmail governors into paying a premium for PPEs that he had CBP confiscate?

Where the fuck is the money?!?!

- DSK

4 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I mean, could you please  increase your social distancing by another yard or so?

Thankfully there is a very large continent between us.

4 hours ago, toad said:

All Trump had to do was

But if a racist, philandering, tax cheating psycho dullard did it, he wouldn’t be a racist, philandering,. . . . .

From the Guardian article cited above . . 

it looks as if a major driver of exploding inequality in both Aotearoa and the US 

is tax avoidance and/or tax fraud. 

Just ask the Drumphist Reich 

(The charming oligarchs of the US have done a masterful job of gutting IRS enforcement) 

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Mr. Clew was on the phone with colleagues in China. They were in a group, talked about how they had traveled with family over the holiday, were saying how safe we'd be there. He said, but you won't let US people in. Nervous laughter. No, no way can people from US enter, sorry! Hope someday you can...

If they'll let us carry bells like lepers used to, maybe they can work something out.

image.thumb.png.01b464eb7bc50fe00041e024b6b79bc7.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

New Zealand needs to address its exploding inequality, just as the US does. 

Good article here . . 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/31/new-zealands-astounding-wealth-gap-challenges-our-fair-go-identity

Odd. Not 20 yrs ago, a young guy from our place in the country with just wood joiner ability emigrated to NZ, where his GF imported Italian food (she was part of the famous Prada dinner). Within 2-3 years, they got citizenship?, bought an apartment in AKL - apparently, financing was readily available, even invested in a second house in Invercargill of all places and resold it ...

What changed? Must have been something because last I heard from them, they had moved to Melbourne

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Odd. Not 20 yrs ago, a young guy from our place in the country with just wood joiner ability emigrated to NZ, where his GF imported Italian food (she was part of the famous Prada dinner). Within 2-3 years, they got citizenship?, bought an apartment in AKL - apparently, financing was readily available, even invested in a second house in Invercargill of all places and resold it ...

What changed? Must have been something because last I heard from them, they had moved to Melbourne

earthquakes?

Any number of reasons really. Kids or grandkids in Melbourne. They certainly wouldn't move here for property or the weather :)

You'd have to ask a Kiwi

2 hours ago, Xlot said:

Probably job and/or life choices rather than inequality. Same reason a hell of a lot of Kiwis move to Sydney and Tasmanians move to Melbourne. Closest big cities with more services and job opportunities/variety, plus more/better medical systems.

NZ is a nice place but small.

As for the weather, Meli, even Melboring starts to look good if you've spent a winter or 2 in Invercargill or even worse, Bluff. Nelson, OTOH, is pretty nice.

FKT

• Like 2

Tova bashed the shit out've Gerry Brownlee as well

23 minutes ago, wal' said:

Tova bashed the shit

Might we borrow her for a decade or two ? 

On 10/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Left Shift said:

Ardern at the UN:

From the Guardian article I cited above, it looks as though 

a goodly portion of the inequality in both the US and NZ 

is due to tax avoidance - sketchy use of foundations in NZ. 

Dunno about Aotearoa, but in the US the IRS enforcement against the One Percent has been de-toothed by the Reich. 

We lose $ 90 Billion a year just from the feds. Our oligarchs also dodge state and local taxes 

On 10/19/2020 at 8:02 AM, AJ Oliver said:

Might we borrow her for a decade or two ? 

You can keep her if you wish.

I had hopes that the previous Government might start making inroads into the devastation that commercial fishing has done to our inshore stocks, fat chance.

The new lot aren't messing around, let in hundreds of Russian super trawler crew in to get the pillaging underway again, on top of which they bought a whole lot of COVID with them.

How this in any way helps the environment, the sutainability of comercial fishing or the local access to fishing and local fishing jobs I'm struggling to see. But thats what you get when you elect a blatant bullshiter and surround her with inexperienced incompetent dreamers. You tell me its what you voted for.

8 hours ago, BOI Guy said:

I had hopes that the previous Government might start making inroads into the devastation that commercial fishing has done to our inshore stocks, fat chance.

The new lot aren't messing around, let in hundreds of Russian super trawler crew in to get the pillaging underway again, on top of which they bought a whole lot of COVID with them.

How this in any way helps the environment, the sutainability of comercial fishing or the local access to fishing and local fishing jobs I'm struggling to see. But thats what you get when you elect a blatant bullshiter and surround her with inexperienced incompetent dreamers. You tell me its what you voted for.

Ah, a single issue voter.

10 hours ago, Gissie said:

You can keep her if you wish.

I guess it's a good thing the majority of voters there are smarter than you.

But that's O/K, someone has to populate the first 1/3 of the Bell curve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laker said:

Ah, a single issue voter.

Would have preferred comment on the issue raised rather than comment on the messenger, takes intellect to go down that track though.

Call her 'Cindy'

Go on

You know you want to.......

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Considering the comments were being made about an interviewer you dumb ass comment just shows you are just an outlier on the left of the curve, discarded as a probable mistake. Much like how your parents feel. 

On 10/17/2020 at 6:10 AM, Saorsa said:

Of course he doesn't. Biggest smoke blower on this forum...  

1 hour ago, BOI Guy said:

Would have preferred comment on the issue raised rather than comment on the messenger, takes intellect to go down that track though.

Oh, we could have gone over many things.  It was yourself that presented a single issue.  BTW, I did not see this as a comment on the messenger, only on the content.

12 hours ago, BOI Guy said:

The crew coming in have nothing to do with inshore fishing. These are deep sea trawlers, out for months on end. It is also why Kiwis aren’t interested, low wage, shitty conditions, away from home for months. Inshore fishing is a very different problem  

Yet another example of how all our governments over the previous decades have pushed for NZ to become a low wage, low skill economy relying on cheap immigrant labour. Will this government do anything about it, unlikely. 

On 10/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, wal' said:

Call her 'Cindy'

Go on

You know you want to.......

That's 'Aunty Cindy' to you.

• Like 1

Double post - deal with it international Reich !!

Jacinda and Labour are part of a sane global movement. 

This short article    https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/right-wing-politics-costs-lives-data-shows,14376

makes use of readily available data to show that . . 

Right-Wing countries are being hit much harder by Covid-V than those being run by leftists or progressives. 

Similarly for the US, Of [. .]51 states, 25 have Democratic governors and 26 have Republicans. The Republican states – to the Right on the political spectrum – have death rates more than double those with Democratic leaders. 

"Calling New Zealand’s Prime Minister “crooked and rigged,” Donald J. Trump accused Jacinda Ardern of competently handling the coronavirus pandemic in order to get re-elected.

Speaking at a rally in Wisconsin, Trump called Ardern’s use of public-health measures to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus on her nation “a sleazy political move like you wouldn’t believe.”

This woman wanted to get reëlected, so she decided to go after the coronavirus and beat it,” he said. “This woman is a disgrace.”

Ramping up his attack on Ardern, Trump accused her of securing her election victory by “listening to scientists.”

She was talking to scientists every day,” Trump charged. “It’s all going to come out when we see her e-mails.”

In a final denunciation of Ardern’s successful handling of the pandemic, Trump vowed, “You’ll never see me pulling something like that.”

In a similar vein, our NDP just secured a majority largely based on their handling of the crisis.

Letting the health professionals control the response has kept our death toll to 49 per million - compared to the 695 per million Trump has achieved.

Yep, plenty countries with competent medicos and leaders have done well, fortunately the markets do not swallow the bullshit:

Sportsbet   Biden $1.45   Trump $2.85

Betfair   Biden $1.46 Trump $2.98

FT electoral college predictions: Biden 279 Trump 125 tossup 134

Average of all polls: Biden up 10 points

On 10/17/2020 at 2:59 AM, B.J. Porter said:

Seems they got the straight majority in parliament, National lost seats and NZ First got a giant boot in the nuts.

I'm not a Kiwi, but I've spent a lot of time here with Ardern through both of the big crises in her tenure and we've been very impressed. I can't speak as much to their social programs and economic policies as they don't affect me much so I have no real experience with them, but from what I've read it seems that if I were a Kiwi I'd likely be a Labour voter.

Must be nice to be able to Isolate you tiny little country.

17 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm a guest here.

It's not run by morons, egomaniacs and con men though, so we don't actually have to isolate.

22 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Strange we don't have isolated tiny little minds you fucking clown

Fuck me but you get worse every day

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

What a punk - cannot even do grammar. 

All ya got is dumb-ass hyper-nationalism of the stupidest variety. 

And then your Elk wonder why Gringos are not universally welcomed around the world. 

It's because of your sort of USAean ignorance 

And @Frakka 's post was great even it it was Borowitz humor. 

11 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

......Borowitz...........

yep, Borowitz 18/10/20, included the quotes but forgot to ascribe .................humour and satire lays bare the truth ;)

In a similar vein, our NDP just secured a majority largely based on their handling of the crisis.

Letting the health professionals control the response has kept our death toll to 49 per million - compared to the 695 per million Trump has achieved.

But... aren't they socialists?

1 hour ago, wal' said:

Strange we don't have isolated tiny little minds you fucking clown

Fuck me but you get worse every day

He should change his handle to "Wad Of Gum Under My Shoe"

Whatever put him in a chair seemed to involve a lack of oxygen to his brain.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

But... aren't they socialists?

Yup - evil fuckers that they are.

First time since Barret that I voted for them - despite being pissed at Horgan for calling the election early.

Even if they hadn't been smart enough to let Doc. Bonnie handle Covid, they had no competition - Wilkinson is more Tory than Liberal.

Not his choice.

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not his choice.

No. As annoying and angry as he's gotten, knowing the story I wouldn't go there.

Neither would I

....... but I'll still abuse the idiot

On 10/27/2020 at 7:02 AM, wal' said:

Neither would I

....... but I'll still abuse the idiot

At one point I considered him a friend - he's been to my house and met my family. So I have sentiment staying my hand.