Sign in to follow this  
dirtyfinger

I'm a moron so help me spend my money.

Hello all, I bought a Gulf 32 pilothouse in Alaska this last summer and am looking at putting it on the hard for the winter and doing some upgrades. It's a clean boat in great shape but other than a GPS it has about all of the same amenities it came from the factory with in 1981. Most of the sailing I do is single-hand days sails but I am looking to venture farther out, and eventually even sail down to the Lower 48 for the winters (Port Angeles, WA where my folks live more specifically)

As I haven't done any long distance cruising, what are the "must haves" for something like this? Autopilot? Wind vane? Watermaker? Replacing my ice box with a refrigerator? 4 blade feathering prop? What would you guys do if it was your boat?

inb4 "buy a different boat" - I like my heavy slow boat

It mitte be goode to speake withe Jennifer Appel, she hase learned manney a harde lessone in thisse aria.

appeltear.jpg?w=840

:)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

It mitte be goode to speake withe Jennifer Appel, she hase learned manney a harde lessone in thisse aria.

I will call her if I need to know what sort of sword to defend myself with if Taiwanese pirates attack, but not much else. 

20 minutes ago, dirtyfinger said:

Hello all, I bought a Gulf 32 pilothouse in Alaska this last summer and am looking at putting it on the hard for the winter and doing some upgrades. It's a clean boat in great shape but other than a GPS it has about all of the same amenities it came from the factory with in 1981. Most of the sailing I do is single-hand days sails but I am looking to venture farther out, and eventually even sail down to the Lower 48 for the winters (Port Angeles, WA where my folks live more specifically)

As I haven't done any long distance cruising, what are the "must haves" for something like this? Autopilot? Wind vane? Watermaker? Replacing my ice box with a refrigerator? 4 blade feathering prop? What would you guys do if it was your boat?

inb4 "buy a different boat" - I like my heavy slow boat

For extended cruising along the wet coast an autopilot is a must, vane a maybe, watermaker not likely, refrigeration if you add the solar to support it. A dieselmaker is very handy.

Upgrade ground tackle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Upgrade ground tackle.

I woude halve standeng riggeng checked to.  Juste sayeng........               :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

For extended cruising along the wet coast an autopilot is a must, vane a maybe, watermaker not likely, refrigeration if you add the solar to support it. A dieselmaker is very handy.

Upgrade ground tackle.

upgraded ground tackle and a drum anchor winch are on the list. Have considered solar however with our average 86 sunny days a year I think that maybe a wind turbine in addition to a couple panels would be a decent idea. 

Where can I buy a dieselmaker? I hear those are awful spendy :D

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

I woude halve standeng riggeng checked to.  Juste sayeng........               :)

That's also on the list. 

really, really, forget about all this bad advise, they are all either totally inadequate or some silly ignorant and envious landlubbers, especially snaggles of course as he couldn't talk a nun into a confessing chamber if she wanted to for lack of proper linguistic skills, quot erat demonstrandum :rolleyes:

no, no and no, what you need is the full whack, what you need is the ultimate captain to guide you into the real self-sufficient go anywhere  full blown survival knowitall, none other than Rimas. Have at it ( or have at him, or in snaggleese : havve atte himmeee)

2016-03-16_2345_LLrimasSaus.jpg

1 minute ago, Albatros said:

really, really, forget about all this bad advise, they are all either totally inadequate or some silly ignorant and envious landlubbers, especially snaggles of course as he couldn't talk a nun into a confessing chamber if she wanted to for lack of proper linguistic skills, quot erat demonstrandum :rolleyes:

no, no and no, what you need is the full whack, what you need is the ultimate captain to guide you into the real self-sufficient go anywhere  full blown survival knowitall, none other than Rimas. Have at it ( or have at him, or in snaggleese : havve atte himmeee)

Also a model of sartorial splendor.

3 minutes ago, Albatros said:

I joined this forum to better bask in Rimas' greatness. A true man of the sea. 

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm shocked that Armani hasn't released the "Rimas" collection yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, Albatros said:

you have money ? I have a plan, send me the money !!!!

signed, D.J. Turnip

You promise me bigly investment winnings?

Just now, dirtyfinger said:

You promise me bigly investment winnings?

it's yuuuge, it's just beyond bigly, it's just like after draining a swamp and then refilling it with you own kin, it's just drumpilicious !!!

Just now, Albatros said:

it's yuuuge, it's just beyond bigly, it's just like after draining a swamp and then refilling it with you own kin, it's just drumpilicious !!!

Money transferred, nothing I love more than a swamp full of nepotism!

Just now, dirtyfinger said:

Money transferred, nothing I love more than a swamp full of nepotism!

you are a true, wholesome real ahmerican, gawd bless you and rest assured, that money will be used for the good cause, be it hooka's or blow or whatever, it will be used, GOD BLESS YA !!!

Windvane is not going to work well in the typical light air of the Inside Passage summer.  Autopilots these days use minimal power and would probably be better. My brother did the trip Seattle-Juneau in his J/30 and ended up motoring most of the way. A feathering or folding prop is nice If you like to sail; it's worth about half a knot or so. Radar might be more useful than depth sounder since the shores are so steep-to, though the depth sounder would be useful for determining how much anchor chain to use when you want to stop.  AWI instruments are nice for sailing at night, but you can shine a flashlight on the sails for a lot less. (You're not worried about showing your position and sail trim to competitors.) Fridge/freezer might make the menu en route to WA more enjoyable, along with any daysails.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulK said:

Windvane is not going to work well in the typical light air of the Inside Passage summer.  Autopilots these days use minimal power and would probably be better. My brother did the trip Seattle-Juneau in his J/30 and ended up motoring most of the way. A feathering or folding prop is nice If you like to sail; it's worth about half a knot or so. Radar might be more useful than depth sounder since the shores are so steep-to, though the depth sounder would be useful for determining how much anchor chain to use when you want to stop.  AWI instruments are nice for sailing at night, but you can shine a flashlight on the sails for a lot less. (You're not worried about showing your position and sail trim to competitors.) Fridge/freezer might make the menu en route to WA more enjoyable, along with any daysails.   

My Ketchikan-Juneau adventure last summer was about 40 hours of motoring and 5 hours of actual sailing.

Fishing rod and crab and prawn traps... ;)

• Like 3

Beer.  Lots of beer.  And some Sprite.

Plenty_of_Beer.thumb.jpg.0569189af16fb399780c68e0be63bfa1.jpg

• Like 4

Liz Clark recommends getting a frying pan.

When going up. wind make sure u have plenty of moveable ballast

1891533.main_image.jpg?strip=all

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I learned a new word today.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, VWAP said:

When going up. wind make sure u have plenty of moveable ballast

1891533.main_image.jpg?strip=all

Do those count as PFDs? 

4 hours ago, PaulK said:

Radar might be more useful than depth sounder

No. Sounder #1. I have experience in this.

At least 200' of floating line on a reel at the back of the boat for taking shore lines ashore.  A quick way to launch your dinghy in support of same.  You can do quite well without a fridge but your menu options will be more limited.  If you have a fridge you are condemned to some or all of running the engine to charge batteries, figuring out some solar/wind charging system, getting a very large capacity house battery system, or going dock to dock to plug in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VWAP said:

“Their only potential impact on swimming is on the aerodynamics of the body shape, which is only relevant if one is an Olympic or competitive swimmer.“

I guess he’s thinking butterfly stroke. You want to have low drag tits when you fly thru the air. Apparently it’s more important than the hydrodynamics of having a couple of beach balls strapped to your chest.

This is why we should always listen to the experts. Thanks to SA I learned something useful today. Cheers!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dirtyfinger said:

Well I only fuck fat girls anyways and everyone knows they float

There is a boat for that too.  After extensive sea trials it turns out that with Chubby Girls floating might be optional.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:48 PM, Snaggletooth said:

And chainplates 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, dirtyfinger said:

My Ketchikan-Juneau adventure last summer was about 40 hours of motoring and 5 hours of actual sailing.

If you haven't been on a boat with a folding prop you should go for a ride on one, they're great for getting back and forth to the race area but feel like you're spinning your wheels. For all that motoring get a healthy, meaty tugboat wheel, get where you're going!

We ran out of Garibaldi during the big fires which caught the upper level easterlies and the shade created 50 meter visibility fog. Might have hit the dumfucks fishing in the jaws without lights, without radar. Actually not true, we just wouldn’t have been there. But when you have to be there, the modern radar rocks. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

We ran out of Garibaldi during the big fires which caught the upper level easterlies and the shade created 50 meter visibility fog. Might have hit the dumfucks fishing in the jaws without lights, without radar. Actually not true, we just wouldn’t have been there. But when you have to be there, the modern radar rocks. 

We never get fog out here.

ctbsrNN.jpg

3 hours ago, Latadjust said:

If you haven't been on a boat with a folding prop you should go for a ride on one, they're great for getting back and forth to the race area but feel like you're spinning your wheels. For all that motoring get a healthy, meaty tugboat wheel, get where you're going!

Not a problem with a modern, properly sized folding prop like a Flex-o-fold.

I replaced the fuel tank on a Gulf 32 some years ago, big job. I would thoroughly check for any leakage as the tank is aluminum and located down in bilge water under the saloon sole. The one I replaced was in a fresh water boat and the bottom was still full of holes.