Sign in to follow this  
woodpecker

Garmin or Raymarine interface with Volvo Penta

I am in the process of outfitting new electronics on boat with a Volvo Penta diesel.

The Garmin has the "Glass Bridge" connection with Volvo but Raymarine has an interface also thru NEMA 2000 to the Volvo.

The boat already has Raymarine but needs to be upgraded so I was trying to find out what the differences are between the two. Will be less inexpensive to stay with Raymarine but would consider the upgrade to Garmin if there were enough features to drive the decision. I know Garmin is considered better quality by some.
Thanks for any info.

Never had a problem with the quality of Garmin hardware. Have always had BIG problems with their customer support. Will no longer buy anything Garmin.

• Like 1

The new Ray stuff is supposed to support n2k engine data.  The boat I just delivered was new had a Volvo D180 and two Raymarine displays, unfortunately that's the one thing they couldn't get to work. You could see the engine on the network but no data.

I would start with Raymarine support and go from there.  The new displays are pretty nice.

Don't know about Volvo but I have the Cummins engine data displaying on the Raymarine using Cummins N2K interface. Only thing that does not work properly is the daily/monthly fuel log. Yacht Devices also makes one that looks pretty decent. 

You didn't say what model Penta or other details on the boat. Our D2-55 is an '05 and in that era full instrumentation was an upgrade. Not sure about now.

The sensors in the base model (as it were) are switches instead of variable output. For example, the temp sensor is either on or off to indicate alarm or no. There was, at one time, a kit, including new sensors, to be able to generate the data. 

I looked into the Yacht Devices N2k bridge, as previously mentioned, and then figured out the sensor issues and shelved the project for now.

• Like 1

On the sailboat, I have a D2-75 (same engine as yours but turbocharged), purchased in about 2006. It had the upgrade panel with the steam gages. By the time the boat was nearing launch in 2008, Volvo had come out with the rev C (or was it D) version, with electronic panel and J1939. I bought the components to change over (basically wiring harness, sensors, fuse box, and panel). Don't remember the cost, lost in the noise of a boat that was not cheap to build. The changeover was easy. I think I used the Volvo N2K interface to the Raymarine N2K backbone. It has worked brilliantly for 11 years, all engine data is displayed at the binnacle on a dedicated ST70 display but can be viewed on any Raymarine display on the boat. I buried the Volvo panel in the cockpit locker as it is rarely needed. Any alarms like low oil pressure or overtemp are propagated throughout the Raymarine system including pop ups on the chartplotters. The oil pressure is a switch (the steam gage panel actually had a gage) but rpm and water temp are the things I monitor. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, penumbra said:

The sensors in the base model (as it were) are switches instead of variable output. For example, the temp sensor is either on or off to indicate alarm or no. There was, at one time, a kit, including new sensors, to be able to generate the data. 

Interesting. I have a D2-40 with a temperature gauge that is plugged in the back of EVC tachometer but only one temp sensor on the engine that has only 1 terminal on it.
I am thinking this must be an alarm/no alarm output sensor. It is the only temp sensor on the engine.
Some newer schematics show an additional thermal sensor with 2 terminals the right below the single terminal temp sensor, but mine has a factory plug in this hole. There is no additional wiring I can see for it.
I am wondering where my temp gauge is getting its temp info from. Any Ideas?

11 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Interesting. I have a D2-40 with a temperature gauge that is plugged in the back of EVC tachometer but only one temp sensor on the engine that has only 1 terminal on it.
 I am thinking this must be an alarm/no alarm output sensor. It is the only temp sensor on the engine.
Some newer schematics show an additional thermal sensor with 2 terminals the right below the single terminal temp sensor, but mine has a factory plug in this hole. There is no additional wiring I can see for it.
I am wondering where my temp gauge is getting its temp info from. Any Ideas?

It could be varying the resistance and relying on positive voltage on that wire, then restricting to the ground. I'm not much of an EE, but that would be my guess.

Dont Garmin own Raymarine now? 

Sorry. Garmin tried to buy out Raymarine but FLIR bought them instead. 

21 minutes ago, penumbra said:

It could be varying the resistance and relying on positive voltage on that wire, then restricting to the ground. I'm not much of an EE, but that would be my guess.

You got me thinking about that extra sensor and why they added it.