Sign in to follow this  
ryley

cockpit drain hose

I was winterizing the water system on my boat and I leaned on one of the cockpit drain hoses in the engine compartment and it started to leak. The hose is as old as the boat, 1992, and appears to be the wire reinforced black exhaust hose. It's a center cockpit and I have decent access to the hoses. should I replace with the same type or can I go with a smooth walled sanitation hose instead? which is likely to last longer? I guess I can't complain given that the current ones have lasted for 28 years, but I definitely don't want to do this job again in the next 10 years.

The rubber ones will dry-rot and crack, the PVC ones will get brittle with age but either way 28 years is along time!  I think the rubber reinforced hoses win on fire and pressure ratings, which hardly matter in that use case.  Cheap san hose will be cheaper, good san hose about the same.  A toss up in my opinion.  

I would stick with what's there, like engine exhaust and raw water, they rarely will be closed, it's a hole in the boat, buy the best hose.  I would never instal PVC hose in a boat any more.  It has a horrible life expectancy, gets covered in mold in the tropics is awful to work with etc etc.  I used for a few applications and other than the FW tank fills and greywater have replaced it all.

Black rubber! is the best. It's in the engine room & will endure a lot of heat cycling over time. The rubber will withstand that better than anything else.  If it's a straight run (or close to it) you can delete the wire re-inforcing.

6 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

..., they rarely will be closed, it's a hole in the boat, buy the best hose. 

Thanks for the advice. sticking with the original.

6 hours ago, longy said:

Black rubber! is the best. It's in the engine room & will endure a lot of heat cycling over time. The rubber will withstand that better than anything else.  If it's a straight run (or close to it) you can delete the wire re-inforcing.

it's a straight run *except* for the last bit which bends to the seacock. That's where the rot is, right in the bend.

If possible you should make it a little longer to take the stress out of the bend will help some, I would stick with the wire wound stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

...I would never instal PVC hose in a boat any more...

Just to clarify I was not advocating PVC pipe, rather referring to marine sanitation hose which is also PVC, but more flexible.   Plenty of people use that for drains too, including on my boat until my recent  thru hull upgrade at which point I switched to wire reinforced rubber.  The rubber is a bit more expensive but only marginally so.  I would argue it is a better performer for many reasons, however in this use case either should perform just fine.

Competition between these two:

5637814.jpg

vs.

P011_333_001_012_LRG.03082018123007.jpg

I loved the clean look of it and put plenty in... then learning curve kicked in so not more PVC hose for me.

Holy hell. Finally got a chance to source the hose, 1 7/8" ID Shieldsflex II. $20/foot at Worst Marine. $11.25/foot plus shipping from Jamestown. Defender has Trident 250 at about the same price as Worst. 

Still cheaper than having the boat raised from the bottom of Boston Harbor I suppose :)

If you think that's pricey, don't buy that impermeable hose for your head - last price I saw was almost $40/Ft.

• Like 2

Check out pricing for buying a full length section - usually 20' (?) At some length a uncut full section is cheaper than the per foot cost

Sometimes they will have rems discounted if you don't need much. Spendy stuff