ryley

B&G Nemesis

https://www.bandg.com/nemesis/

I'm assuming this is their response to Garmin and Sailmon having fully configurable, vendor-independent displays. They look pretty cool, until you get to the price: the Nemesis 9 costs more than a Zeus3 9 and the Nemesis 12 is almost the same cost as a Zeus3 16. Also, the remote control is through an apple watch. They need an android app as well. Maybe even a Garmin Sapphire/quatix app ;)

Have just finished speccing a Triton based system and am leaving the mast bare until I see how these shake out. I was keen on it due to the auto mode-switching but that turns out to be H5000 only.

They've come in for a fair bit of (justified) flack over pricing, so I'm hoping there'll be some substantial discounting over winter to get a few units onto boats. Even then, going to need to do its mode-switching with Triton / Zeus3s before I'll be selling a kidney to buy one. 

• Like 1

I keep wondering why someone can’t make a decent mast display like this for a reasonable price.  A Vulcan 9 is only around $1000 so to me it seems like they should be able to do a screen display that size for around the same money.  Is it that much more complicated?

I don't see how it can be more complicated. It's not an MFD with built in GPS and routing functions and wireless and all that, right? It's a bunch of instrument widgets that you can mix and match to display network data. I'm not going to say it's easy because I've seen how those threads devolve as people add in N2K and gorilla glass and polar tables and whatever else, but a company like simrad ought to be able to get these to a price point where everybody and their brother could put a nifty 9" display up on their J24 and make back on volume what they don't make on the individual units. I was getting all excited until I saw the price and thought WTAF.

21 hours ago, T sailor said:

I keep wondering why someone can’t make a decent mast display like this for a reasonable price.  A Vulcan 9 is only around $1000 so to me it seems like they should be able to do a screen display that size for around the same money.  Is it that much more complicated?

Garmin does - the GNX 120 7" display. Perfect size for the mast, integrates with B&G just fine over NMEA2k, including pulling distance/vmg to waypoints from a B&G chartplotter. 

Daylight readable, can configure with up to 3 data fields and very low power consumption. 

I was disappointed that B&G didn't make a direct competitor, b/c the only thing that the GNX won't do is pull the target speeds/polars from H5000.

Looking at what few details I can glean from the interwebs, the 9" appears to be over 8x the price of the Triton, but both act as largely dumb displays. The low res is also disappointing, as is the fact you need power + NMEA. 

Looking very much like a product for the 50ft+ serious racing market, with budgets to suit. Great shame as it's long overdue for a manufacturer to bring out a simple 9" portrait mast display with three configurable zones. As others have mentioned above, turn them out in volume at $1k and you'd snaffle up a large slice of the market, but the 9" equates to $4.2k over here in the UK, which is completely delusional if they are expecting to shift any volumes.  

1 hour ago, Salona said:

Garmin does - the GNX 120 7" display. Perfect size for the mast, integrates with B&G just fine over NMEA2k, including pulling distance/vmg to waypoints from a B&G chartplotter. 

Daylight readable, can configure with up to 3 data fields and very low power consumption. 

I was disappointed that B&G didn't make a direct competitor, b/c the only thing that the GNX won't do is pull the target speeds/polars from H5000.

I use my gnx 120s to display polar info from expedition

8 hours ago, gn4478 said:

I think the limitation is the seamless integration with the B&G H5000 processor; the B&G displays can show anything the processor has, essentially, including some custom messaging fields, while the GNX display cannot. The polar targets are custom B&G messages. While I have driven older B&G displays with Expedition computed targets, if you have a performance processor in the loop, it is cleaner to do all the calculations there. This also means no reliance on Expedition/laptops/USB to drive the network, which IME is also more reliable. I will also say the latest H5000 setups can do most everything Expedition can, especially for shorter coastal races where routing is less of a factor. 

13 hours ago, gn4478 said:

Indeed - given the custom N2K channel functionality, the GNX 120 is really a very good unit for the price if you have Exp.

Would be nice if the smaller format GNX 20/21 also supported custom channels but hey ho

4 hours ago, samc99us said:

I will also say the latest H5000 setups can do most everything Expedition can, especially for shorter coastal races where routing is less of a factor. 

Everything except play with routing in the office on a Friday afternoon whilst pretending to work ;-)

On 10/21/2020 at 5:28 AM, Snowden said:

Everything except play with routing in the office on a Friday afternoon whilst pretending to work ;-)

This is my complaint with B&G - there is no "simple" PC app for voyage planning off the boat that then interfaces seamlessly back on the boat. Even onboard it's actually much easier to use a PC to set up routes with a bunch of waypoints....Not sure I want to deal with Expedition.

• Like 1

Free Navionics on website at home works for me. Click start and end, it auto routes, gives distance, I do some planning from that. So little time is needed and I never picked waypoints, i don't mind doing precise planning again on my B&g rz3 right before sailing. When on the boat day of cruise I do have to select waypoints, more work, but I wonderfully get a good estimate based on my polaris and know sailing angles before I leave the dock, which is automatically revised as I sail. If the route is already entered for my favorite destinations I can get an eta for each, and then choose which way to go. Wind changes direction and speed all the time, but it's as good of planning as you can do without firing up expedition.

I use expedition way to little, partly because zues3 is so good, and the good integration isn't great. The two connect over ethernet we sockets via h5000. The integration is missing a little something though around way points, and causes extra work.

14 hours ago, CapDave said:

Not sure I want to deal with Expedition.

If you race offshore it's really worth the investment

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, CapDave said:

This is my complaint with B&G - there is no "simple" PC app for voyage planning off the boat that then interfaces seamlessly back on the boat. Even onboard it's actually much easier to use a PC to set up routes with a bunch of waypoints....Not sure I want to deal with Expedition.

Next time you guys anchor next to the blue J Boat, come say hello. I’ll show you how B&G and Expedition can interface. With your boats potential I couldn’t see using anything less. 

21 minutes ago, airacer said:

Next time you guys anchor next to the blue J Boat, come say hello. I’ll show you how B&G and Expedition can interface. With your boats potential I couldn’t see using anything less. 

That's you in Egmont? Nice boat. Too bad, we just sailed to Carriacou yesterday, on to Antigua next week. Thanks for the offer....I'd really like to have a demo at some point, maybe I can find somebody in Antigua.

1 hour ago, CapDave said:

That's you in Egmont? Nice boat. Too bad, we just sailed to Carriacou yesterday, on to Antigua next week. Thanks for the offer....I'd really like to have a demo at some point, maybe I can find somebody in Antigua.

Yeah. Nice boat right back at you! Have a good rip to Antigua.