Black Jack

where in San Diego is the best place to keep a 30' boat

I am down in San Diego for work and play this week from the bay area. Looking at real estate to move and sailboat slip for my boat. 

What San Diego yacht harbor should I look at that has some amenities and great access to the bay. Bonuses for beer can racing proximity. I am willing to join a yacht club to get great access and mild but not stuffy social interaction.

Kona Kai is nice but f'ing expensive.  I am going to check out a condo near by and a short bicycle ride to the boat would be perfect. 

dude, every marina down here is fucking expensive. it's san diego!

• Like 1

Just now, Editor said:

dude, every marina down here is fucking expensive. it's san diego!

Right now I am paying 260 a month. I am cheap bastard and splintered raggity ass docks can be justified as charming...

Good news! for twice that amount you can get the worst docks in all of san diego, right here at good ol sdyc. they are so bad, they have to be seen to believe, and yet the directors at the club refuse to do anything about it.

49 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Right now I am paying 260 a month. I am cheap bastard and splintered raggity ass docks can be justified as charming...

A 30' splintered wood dock up here in Ventura YC will fetch you $285/month + membership.
Wet Wednesdays are the best racing we have. Usually 10 to 18 knts of wind and real seas, not the flat Bay pussy shit in SD. This year they were a non event. Next year Oh Boy, we hope so.
Blade weather, race starts at about 1:30.

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

In the nicer marinas here in Newport that will get you a bit under 3 feet of dock space. 

California Yacht Marina in Chula Vista is a lot cheaper the main San Diego marinas. Friendly place, too, and not far from the train into the city. But a long way from the open sea.

Harbor Island West is the least expensive place in the upper bay. Also the closest to the bay itself.The docks themselves are the concrete equivalent of splintered wood but the folks are nice and the maintenance crew stays on top of things. They say some day they are going to tear the whole place down and build new. Yeah, right!

• Like 1

Can you dry sail the boat?  If so Silver Gate Yacht Club could work for you.  Call Celeste in the Office.  

Yeah some of the clubs might work for a smaller boat if you’re young and can get the discounted entry fee. Check out SWYC and Silver Gate. Harbor Island West is probably the cheapest on SD Bay - I like it; not pretentious.  Mission bay can be a bit cheaper but has its own pros and cons. Kona Kai is a significant premium. 

Going down to Chula Vista Marina or California Yacht Marina in Chula Vista will save you some money, and the marinas and facilities are nice.  Only problem is you're an hour from where everyone else races, and if you have any draft you need to stay in the channel most of the way to the Coronado Bridge.

Thanks much for the responses. There is much to consider.  I hadn't thought about switch boats again and dry sailing. I do like my half tonner and would miss some of the amenities. Under Covid - driving to the numerous marinas isn't a big deal. So saving anywhere between $100 to $300 for a slip makes sense. If you add hours back and forth when things get back to "normal" -  paying for a more expensive slip closer to home might be better.  In early spring I do plan to have the boat down for the Newport to Ensenada race plus do a few local beer cans for fun. Finding the place that works for me then might become how I see San Diego bay later.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.20.30 AM.png

On 10/19/2020 at 10:55 AM, Editor said:

Good news! for twice that amount you can get the worst docks in all of san diego, right here at good ol sdyc. they are so bad, they have to be seen to believe, and yet the directors at the club refuse to do anything about it.

Now that I've turned Life Member at SDYC (no dues, assessments, f & b minimum) I think it's time for me to vote for huge increases in assessments and monthly dues. Pretty soon, Scot, those docks will be paved with gold.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, kinardly said:

Harbor Island West is the least expensive place in the upper bay. Also the closest to the bay itself.The docks themselves are the concrete equivalent of splintered wood but the folks are nice and the maintenance crew stays on top of things. They say some day they are going to tear the whole place down and build new. Yeah, right!

No cement docks can ever be as bad as splintered docks! The docks at sdyc are a fucking hazard.

1 hour ago, Running with Scissors said:

Now that I've turned Life Member at SDYC (no dues, assessments, f & b minimum) I think it's time for me to vote for huge increases in assessments and monthly dues. Pretty soon, Scot, those docks will be paved with gold.

what constitutes a life member? paved with horseshit would be better than what we have. take a look at how swyc covered their shit docks. way, way better!

18 hours ago, Editor said:

what constitutes a life member? paved with horseshit would be better than what we have. take a look at how swyc covered their shit docks. way, way better!

When I raced in 2012 at SWYC the docks were fake wood. Did they replace those? Because when I was there the shit was breaking down and it got all over us disabled sailors because we had to sit on the docks, not walk. Cement docks is probably the way to go.

19 hours ago, Editor said:

No cement docks can ever be as bad as splintered docks! The docks at sdyc are a fucking hazard.

Someone snap a photo of these "docks" for us out of towners! Are they REALLY that bad?? Surprised it's not a YC liability concern. Someone falls through and breaks leg or worse....

21 hours ago, Running with Scissors said:

Where'd you hear there was no F&B minimum?

On 10/21/2020 at 12:32 PM, Black Jack said:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.20.30 AM.png

Hmmmm...  30' slip in downtown Chicago is about 5k$/year (for a non-city resident). Given a 6 month season (generous!) that's about $820/month. Even the cheapest 30' slip in a harbor further from downtown is 4k$/year - $670/mo for ~6 months.

You guys have it cheap.

3 hours ago, JoeO said:

Hmmmm...  30' slip in downtown Chicago is about 5k$/year (for a non-city resident). Given a 6 month season (generous!) that's about $820/month. Even the cheapest 30' slip in a harbor further from downtown is 4k$/year - $670/mo for ~6 months.

You guys have it cheap.

Yep. We do. It's a great place to keep a boat. 

39 minutes ago, no shoes said:

Yep. We do. It's a great place to keep a boat. 

And, over that 12 months, we have probably 20x the nice sailing days of most places.  Temperate and 8-12kts almost every day from noon to five.  Very easy to get out every single weekend and whatever midweek days you can.  

I once calculated the $ per sail cost for the C&C 24 my parents had on Cayuga Lake.  It was terrifying; way way more than our First 405.   

On 10/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, Editor said:

Life member is someone who has turned 65 and has been a dues paying Flag member for 30 years.

Up through last year my 31' boat, 33LOA with some bit sticking out was $325mo at Grand Marina in Alameda.     

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, socalrider said:

And, over that 12 months, we have probably 20x the nice sailing days of most places.    

Oh at least. I just renewed my license. 449 days at sea JUST FOR WORK in the last three years. Doesn't count any racing, practice or daysailing days. It's expensive here, but it's worth it. To the OP: try checking out Southwestern Yacht Club. We're always accepting cool people. Great facility. 

I really enjoyed my time at Marina Village due to it's Mission Bay access, but if sailing in protected waters is your intention then it's not a good option as most sailboats will not fit under the bridges. I was contended to rip around in the dinghy