Sign in to follow this  
Cal20sailor

Shotgun Anarchy

About 35yrs ago, the Radiologist I'm now dating was in DC for some part of her Residency.  She rented a room in Silver Springs and enjoyed her two months there and when packing to leave looked under the bed and found a shotgun.  She reported it to the landlady who simply said you found it, it's yours.  She turned it into the police who checked to make sure it hadn't been reported stolen, and after 18mos from first finding it, she returned to DC and the cops gave it to her.  When she heard that I owned guns she offered it to me.  I've shot skeet/trap years ago, but it doesn't excite me.  She kept telling me what the gun was and I never would recall what she told me.  

Today when I dropped her off, I got to see it.  Still unexcited, I was in the process of pulling it out of the case when the word 'Beretta' was first mentioned.  My ears picked up.  The gun is a Beretta Silver Snipe 12ga O/U and is absolutely mint.  The barrels appear fine and she did let a friend use it a few times and was lucky to get it back.  I'm going to at least clean and oil the barrels.  I found some manuals on line and will print those out for reference.  She now wants to play with it, hopefully just skeet/trap and not me while sleeping.  

So who can fill me in?  Way too many gun experts here not to find someone who knows the gun.  I was impressed with the lightness and balance of the gun.  It really does look like a quality piece.  

Very nice!  I have a Beretta F1200, it's a 12ga Semi-Auto Trap & Skeet gun.  Not nearly as classy as the Silver Snipe!  

You might want to post this in 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Very nice!  I have a Beretta F1200, it's a 12ga Semi-Auto Trap & Skeet gun.  Not nearly as classy as the Silver Snipe!  

You might want to post this in 

Great idea, done, let's let this thread die.  Sorry I hadn't thought of that.  

37 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

About 35yrs ago, the Radiologist I'm now dating was in DC for some part of her Residency.  She rented a room in Silver Springs and enjoyed her two months there and when packing to leave looked under the bed and found a shotgun.  She reported it to the landlady who simply said you found it, it's yours.  She turned it into the police who checked to make sure it hadn't been reported stolen, and after 18mos from first finding it, she returned to DC and the cops gave it to her.  When she heard that I owned guns she offered it to me.  I've shot skeet/trap years ago, but it doesn't excite me.  She kept telling me what the gun was and I never would recall what she told me.  

Today when I dropped her off, I got to see it.  Still unexcited, I was in the process of pulling it out of the case when the word 'Beretta' was first mentioned.  My ears picked up.  The gun is a Beretta Silver Snipe 12ga O/U and is absolutely mint.  The barrels appear fine and she did let a friend use it a few times and was lucky to get it back.  I'm going to at least clean and oil the barrels.  I found some manuals on line and will print those out for reference.  She now wants to play with it, hopefully just skeet/trap and not me while sleeping.  

So who can fill me in?  Way too many gun experts here not to find someone who knows the gun.  I was impressed with the lightness and balance of the gun.  It really does look like a quality piece.  

don't rule it out!  :D

Perhaps you could repost this in the recent Hemingway thread.   :ph34r:

• Like 2

Yep, that's a nice gun

A keeper.

I've owned some decent O/U shotguns but never one this highbrow. I like the O/U configuration so you can (if you practice, preferably with blanks) hold 4 shells in the web of your off hand, and break- twitch & roll-reload-fire 6 rounds as quick as a pump. I was never great at it but as a Chesapeake Bay Retriever owner/enthusiast, I had to learn some advanced duck hunting stuff.

- DSK

43 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep, that's a nice gun

A keeper.

I've owned some decent O/U shotguns but never one this highbrow. I like the O/U configuration so you can (if you practice, preferably with blanks) hold 4 shells in the web of your off hand, and break- twitch & roll-reload-fire 6 rounds as quick as a pump. I was never great at it but as a Chesapeake Bay Retriever owner/enthusiast, I had to learn some advanced duck hunting stuff.

- DSK

Does your dog roll his eyes and do the facepalm when you miss ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dorado said:
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

... as a Chesapeake Bay Retriever owner/enthusiast, I had to learn some advanced duck hunting stuff.

:lol:

The two I hunted with never did that, but the last one would look at the sky eagerly, and seeing no duck fall, would narrow his eyes and flatten his ears and look at me sideways, as if to say "You worthless ..... CAT!!!"

He also had a habit of shouldering lesser dogs aside any time fetching anything, this made him less than popular at the dog park. I could tell Chesapeake stories all day. I'm hoping to be good enough that Mrs Steam lets me have one more, before I get too old

- DSK

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

:lol:

The two I hunted with never did that, but the last one would look at the sky eagerly, and seeing no duck fall, would narrow his eyes and flatten his ears and look at me sideways, as if to say "You worthless ..... CAT!!!"

He also had a habit of shouldering lesser dogs aside any time fetching anything, this made him less than popular at the dog park. I could tell Chesapeake stories all day. I'm hoping to be good enough that Mrs Steam lets me have one more, before I get too old

- DSK

While I can understand your passion for Chessies, a lab is what you need for duck hunting.  

If have have a Lab and you miss, the dog will apologize to you!

• Like 1

I've always preferred a side by side.... But then again, I prefer a 16 Ga. too.....

15 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

While I can understand your passion for Chessies, a lab is what you need for duck hunting.  

If have have a Lab and you miss, the dog will apologize to you!

But a Lab won't rip the limbs off the game warden when he tries to arrest you after you kill about 200 ducks with one shot from a gun as long as your boat that takes a pound of powder. So there is that.

• Like 1

What you have there is gold.Don’t sell it!.That is something you hand down to family only.

• Like 1

BTW, a Beretta is a very nice gun. I'd rather have an old Ithaca, but a Beretta would be next...... Maybe I'd put an L. C. Smith in between...

Belgian Made Browning O/U Superpose is just a wonderful gun. The basic ones (like mine) aren't that impressive looking, but the warmth of the walnut and just the way the guns handle make them really nice. This is a nice example (not mine)  20 ga. or smaller, please. That was the rule on the King Ranch back in the day

21323-03.jpg

On 10/28/2020 at 11:45 AM, Dorado said:

Shit, all hunting dogs do that when you miss.  "It was right there.  I stood the bird, I flushed the bird, all you had to do was shoot it.  Sheesh!"

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 2:47 PM, On The Hard said:

Belgian Made Browning O/U Superpose is just a wonderful gun. The basic ones (like mine) aren't that impressive looking, but the warmth of the walnut and just the way the guns handle make them really nice. This is a nice example (not mine)  20 ga. or smaller, please. That was the rule on the King Ranch back in the day

21323-03.jpg

Too bad about that crack in the fore stock.

It's a very nice gun.

Good eyes, Mate. I didn't look that closely at the picture. Like I said, it's not mine but the model, scroll work and walnut are very close in appearance. I don't have that little rivet thingy on the bottom of the receiver either. No idea what that is all about. 

20 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I don't have that little rivet thingy on the bottom of the receiver either. No idea what that is all about. 

That, IIRC, facilitates removal of the trigger assembly.  Mine was my grandfather's, and dates from around 1936 (to the best guesses of the folks at Browning USA).  I'll take some pictures (if I remember) tonight.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Shit, all hunting dogs do that when you miss.  "It was right there.  I stood the bird, I flushed the bird, all you had to do was shoot it.  Sheesh!"

you've got ONE job!

3 hours ago, chester said:

you've got ONE job!

I know our old dog (RIP) was thinking, "God, if I just had opposable thumbs!"

1 hour ago, Proneshooter said:

DSC07286.thumb.jpg.9a55ed7553582394f775ced6b9c9e8f0.jpg

Woodcock?  I've only flushed them by accident.  Around here, we only would get them up as singles -- seems like it would make a long day of hunting to get a batch.  Also, I think we needed a Federal Migratory Bird Stamp to hunt them, whereas quail was just standard small game license.

I was hunting with my dad once, and he shot one (mostly on accident) when it got up.  The dog had flushed it about 20 yards ahead of us, and it was flying *toward* us when my dad shot.  It hit him square in the chest and bounced off.  Kamikaze Woodcock.

Snipe. Breasted out, a little teriyaki, and wrapped with bacon on the grill!

2 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

DSC07286.thumb.jpg.9a55ed7553582394f775ced6b9c9e8f0.jpg

Now that's a proper shotty. Prince of Wales grip. Nice bit of kit. Bloody good show. 

Ok, superposed.  Belgian made Browning, ca. 1936

IMG_20201105_192254029.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.8b6c9b99e10a1c60ea3380785288c56b.jpg

Not as fancy as the above example, but this gun was used primarily to put food on the table.  So, the pin forward of the trigger guard is the pivot for the 'rampy thingy' shown below:

IMG_20201105_192447560.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.61b18018ea4adbd7ed8a50b1c93e9625.jpgIMG_20201105_192505441.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.a4b4c5fdaf210a3923b6187605e4f96b.jpg

Not real sure what's the called, but there it is.  Couple other pics for your viewing pleasure

IMG_20201105_192619198.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.7ff1c7fb30536c500e4cbef0b53d8d44.jpgIMG_20201105_192722905.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.8b1c3f172cce1a278d8e0a73c9e86878.jpg

Grandpa used this gun a lot, and it put more than a few quail, squirrels, etc. on the table.  It's great fun to shoot. 

Someone also mentioned L. C. Smith.  Again, this is a plain jane model, from the other grandpa.

IMG_20201105_194233594.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.d2c6c0ea2ee9c6365de2e6634b33f55e.jpgIMG_20201105_194248507.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.abb1ede3b1a280e5dabaa9a1dbe97927.jpgIMG_20201105_194343999.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.d4590f2ca3b44a121b8c523884d2a8d9.jpgIMG_20201105_194359692.jpg.small.thumb.jpg.03ee320021507ebd831ff7933fbadc88.jpg

Dates from about 1918, IIRC.  Long barrels, not as easy to swing about as the Superposed.

Our dog Spot, English Pointer, with a mornings hunt.

Haven't hunted for about 35 years.

Stopped just after we lost Spot at about 16 years old.

SpotwithPheasantsDucks.jpg

• Like 1