Cruisin Loser

My season just ended, and...

On 10/20/2020 at 9:29 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

I miss it terribly. Already. I feel...a little bit of despair, without my boat until spring. 

Ok, there is the expected first grandchild, but good lord, why can't Maine Summer's last 12 months a year?

Funny enough, I'm *almost* in the same position as you.  Haven't put the boat away just yet -- may get out on her this weekend.

But that first grandkid!

• Like 1

Looks like our season isn't going to end this year. The extended winter forecast is out:

A weak La Nina will present us with another mild winter. There will be a few cold bursts but overall, temperatures are forecast to be well above average. Total snow for the entire winter is expected to be 0-4 inches.  The good news is, the panhandle of Maryland where the mountains are, is forecast to get plenty of snow so if we want winter entertainments, they're only a 4 hour drive. We've already reserved a cabin for February.

Last winter was so warm that the algae barely slowed down from growing on the hull.

I bought a long external tank hose for my propane heater. I'll be able to tap a 20lb. tank for heat instead of toting a bunch of those 1lb. "bombs." I'm definitely going to try some winter cruising so I can experience the winter ducks that flood the area this time of year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Looks like our season isn't going to end this year. The extended winter forecast is out:

A weak La Nina will present us with another mild winter. There will be a few cold bursts but overall, temperatures are forecast to be well above average. Total snow for the entire winter is expected to be 0-4 inches.  The good news is, the panhandle of Maryland where the mountains are, is forecast to get plenty of snow so if we want winter entertainments, they're only a 4 hour drive. We've already reserved a cabin for February.

Last winter was so warm that the algae barely slowed down from growing on the hull.

I bought a long external tank hose for my propane heater. I'll be able to tap a 20lb. tank for heat instead of toting a bunch of those 1lb. "bombs." I'm definitely going to try some winter cruising so I can experience the winter ducks that flood the area this time of year.

La Niña means colder and more precipitation (including snow) for us. Second year running.

What kind of propane heater do you have? I’m in the market for one 

Just now, Sail4beer said:

Did you mean me?

It's just a Mr. Heater "Big Buddy."  It can use one or two of the 1lb. bottles and it also has a quick disconnect fitting to connect it to a larger external source. If you're connecting it to an unregulated bottle, buy the hose with a regulator on it. If you're plugging into a "Y" after a regulator, then obviously you don't need the regulator.

These heaters are supposed to have a low oxygen shutdown (non-electronic) but obviously you shouldn't trust that alone, that's why I installed the CO detector.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

if the price difference doesn't matter to you then these are  great http://www.camco.net/heaters.  they can be mounted directly to a wall/bulkhead and the heat output is variable.

The price mattered to me so:

I have  "little buddy"  rated at 3000 btu.  It takes 1lbers and will stand up on cannister,  I have an adapter that lets me attach it directly to a refillable bottle.  I use 5lb bottles for this.when it's on you get the 3k btu AND

I have a "buddy" this is 4000 BTU OR  9000.  it is a small caninet  into which you atttach a 1 ponder or a hose from a remote bottle

both have tip shutoffs and o2 sensors

they work fine, the biggest draw back for me is the lack of adjustment.  it's on or off, high or low.

Ajax, I couldn't help but chuckle.  Yup, Excellent safety feature.  When the oxygen is low enough it stops burning.  Funny that.

• Like 2

I actually have a big buddy in storage. I hadn’t thought about hoking it up to an external tank..thanks for the info

I use an infrared heater or an oil filled radiator to heat the boat presently depending on the temp but I like the idea of a backup onboard in case of a power outage this winter. Living aboard for now.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, Ajax said:

I'm definitely going to try some winter cruising so I can experience the winter ducks that flood the area this time of year.

As in eat?

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

As in eat?

No, no. The winter ducks land in huge numbers and they are different than the mallards and muscovies that populate the area during warmer months. I just want to see them and see a floating carpet of ducks. I think it would be cool.

Yes, I've eaten duck. Delicious if a bit heavy or greasy. Mostly dark meat. I've actually eaten duck feet. I didn't know what they were until I was on my 3rd one and asked the passing waiter what they were...  I've also eaten goose which is very good.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

No, no. The winter ducks land in huge numbers and they are different than the mallards and muscovies that populate the area during warmer months. I just want to see them and see a floating carpet of ducks. I think it would be cool.

Yes, I've eaten duck. Delicious if a bit heavy or greasy. Mostly dark meat. I've actually eaten duck feet. I didn't know what they were until I was on my 3rd one and asked the passing waiter what they were...  I've also eaten goose which is very good.

Any bird that flies will have mostly dark meat. I love moo shu duck.

Take the skin and make cracklin, roast the legs with breadcrumbs and mustard, saute the breast with shallots and butter. Bones go to stock. 

Anyway, today I just put a deposit on next Summers mooring. 

• Like 1

Our season is ongoing, but it's a bit breezy out there right now.

15:00  WSW 37 gust 44            
14:00 W 42 gust 51            
13:00 W 42 gust 50            
12:00 W 42 gust 49            
11:00     WSW 40            
10:00 WSW 42 gust 51            
9:00 WSW 39 gust 46            
8:00 WSW 29 gust 36            
7:00 SW 7            
6:00 SSW 6            

We've had a couple of days of a nourishing and steady rain, and flash floods. Today was pretty rain-free and gradually clearing. Tomorrow, Saturday, looks nice but light wind. Sunday looks more boisterous.

Saturday          Sunday

Wind Speed:  1 to 2 knots   10 to 14 knots

Gusts:             2 to 3 knots   24 to 28 knots

I think I'm going out tomorrow to drift around with a sandwich and a beer. Sunday we're going to my oldest boy's house for oysters!

I see we're up to tropical storm Iota. 

Sailing's not over until I say it's over.

Wife is catching and banding owls every night so the bed is empty anyway.

Friday-Sunday:  High in the mid 60's with overnight lows in the mid 40's -F.  Perfect breeze from the south on Friday, north on Saturday, back to south on Sunday. I see no reason why I shouldn't indulge myself this weekend.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, Elegua said:

Take the skin and make cracklin, roast the legs with breadcrumbs and mustard, saute the breast with shallots and butter. Bones go to stock. 

Anyway, today I just put a deposit on next Summers mooring. 

Where's yours? 

I reserved the same one in Brooklin. Deepest, heaviest one in the harbor, close enough to the dock for decent wifi. Right next to Vortex. 

12 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Where's yours? 

I reserved the same one in Brooklin. Deepest, heaviest one in the harbor, close enough to the dock for decent wifi. Right next to Vortex. 

Imagine your surprise when you show up and a ratty, green Tartan is squatting on it. ;)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Imagine your surprise when you show up and a ratty, green Tartan is squatting on it. ;)

We can raft. 

Of course, if you pick it up unannounced during yard hours, you WILL get a visit from a work skiff. 

12 minutes ago, Ajax said:
25 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Where's yours? 

Imagine your surprise when you show up and a ratty, green Tartan is squatting on it.

Show some curtesy, have your fenders out already

FB- Doug

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Where's yours? 

Boothbay - tucked-up near the CG station. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Have you got one of those cool vinyl coloured/patterned hull wraps?  (So many tartan variations - where to begin to choose! :-) )

2442BB6D-C792-439C-9F43-03A866D600A4.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

We can raft. 

Of course, if you pick it up unannounced during yard hours, you WILL get a visit from a work skiff. 

I dunno... do you have those nice furry covers on your fenders?

Just now, Ajax said:

Nope. Plain white. It's a plain white hull. 

@Jud - s/v Sputnik  No, I have 20 year old Awlgrip or Awlcraft paint. You have however, hit upon an alternative that I'm considering- a solid green wrap.

"Supposedly" they cost around $5-6k and last around 10 years. When it's toast, you use a heat gun to peel it off and start over.

To pay to have my boat painted will run around $10-14k.  I could possibly do it myself for around $1-2k if I use Alexseal paint.  I have zero experience doing this sort of thing. It would take me eons to sand away the old paint, apply a leveling coat, prime it and paint it. I know @Hike, Bitches! has done it but he used white paint which hides a multitude of sins.

I figured the wrap was a fast, affordable alternative that lands in between a yard paint job and a DIY paint job.

6 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

11 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Don't risk it Ajax - you wouldn't want that stuff on your green paint. 

2 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Don't risk it Ajax - you wouldn't want that stuff on your green paint. 

That's what I'm sayin'! 

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@Jud - s/v Sputnik  No, I have 20 year old Awlgrip or Awlcraft paint. You have however, hit upon an alternative that I'm considering- a solid green wrap.

"Supposedly" they cost around $5-6k and last around 10 years. When it's toast, you use a heat gun to peel it off and start over.

To pay to have my boat painted will run around $10-14k.  I could possibly do it myself for around $1-2k if I use Alexseal paint.  I have zero experience doing this sort of thing. It would take me eons to sand away the old paint, apply a leveling coat, prime it and paint it. I know @Hike, Bitches! has done it but he used white paint which hides a multitude of sins.

I figured the wrap was a fast, affordable alternative that lands in between a yard paint job and a DIY paint job.

The famous Cheetah Cheetah. 

7a0248ed-ac98-4e97-a683-8cfbe9688d73.thumb.jpg.d916b4f7d22b3b0f39cb041b33acabc4.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Ajax said:

@Cruisin Loser

<double facepalm>  Wow... that's really something.

1941 Luders 24, famous for racing in Maine classics. In this years Eggemoggin Reach they beat a sistership raced by Chris Bouzaid, Stan Honey and Sally Lindsay boat for boat, lost out on corrected due to carrying a 15% penalty for winning last year. 

Yeah, it's vinyl wrap. I love it. 

27 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

1941 Luders 24, famous for racing in Maine classics. In this years Eggemoggin Reach they beat a sistership raced by Chris Bouzaid, Stan Honey and Sally Lindsay boat for boat, lost out on corrected due to carrying a 15% penalty for winning last year. 

Yeah, it's vinyl wrap. I love it. 

Wow, says good things about the sailors to beat the names you mentioned.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

That's a Gibson J180 Montana Gold, from their Bozeman custom shop. It's just a hair smaller than the SJ200, and is basically their most blinged out version of it, in terms of wood selection. Plays like a dream, my go-to acoustic.  Yes, that's a glass slide, that one is for the pinky, I use a different size for the index finger.

IMG_0016.thumb.JPG.5a2d286b5a6da1194cba4f189934eb28.JPG

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.fe0abcc1cdb39dd727055ba4fe11b640.JPG

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.2b071c6c6ffa6499fdd435de5f945b61.JPG

Wow - that's the quiltiest of quilted maple. Gorgeous!  ;-)

I love figured maples. We had ton of heavy birdseye maple flooring in our last house, and when either the sun or you moved the pattern seemed to shift. That, and it was so hard it could withstand the pressure of stilettos worn by ladies with generous allocations of advoirdupois. That's PC, right?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rattus32 said:

stilettos worn by ladies with generous allocations of advoirdupois fat tarts

FIFY

• Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 3:41 PM, Cruisin Loser said:
On 11/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, Ajax said:

Just yer average white boat ;)

• Like 1

Oh my lord,  the covid.

I've anchored out in my local cove and you'd think it was July 4th. Powerboaters,  jetskis, etc. The disease is driving people outdoors for distanced recreation. 

The sounds of civilization were overwhelming for a good part of the day.  Traffic,  Aircraft,  lawn equipment,  ambulance sirens.  It was nuts for this time of year. 

Eventually things settled down to a blissful silence.  I whipped several lines,  practiced Italian,  read a book.  I made pot noodles for dinner. Burned the oil lamp. My blankets are thick enough to keep me warm. 

Looking forward to my morning coffee. 

Night-night

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Oh my lord,  the covid.

I've anchored out in my local cove and you'd think it was July 4th. Powerboaters,  jetskis, etc. The disease is driving people outdoors for distanced recreation. 

The sounds of civilization were overwhelming for a good part of the day.  Traffic,  Aircraft,  lawn equipment,  ambulance sirens.  It was nuts for this time of year. 

Eventually things settled down to a blissful silence.  I whipped several lines,  practiced Italian,  read a book.  I made pot noodles for dinner. Burned the oil lamp. My blankets are thick enough to keep me warm. 

Looking forward to my morning coffee. 

Night-night

Sleep well.

23 minutes ago, Ajax said:

practiced Italian

So that's what you kids are calling it these days. B)

• Like 2

I must admit that docking is a lot easier, now that all the fair-weather sailors (and ski boats) have hauled out.  Don’t have to worry so much about hitting anything. ;)

10 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

So that's what you kids are calling it these days. B)

That's "hide the salami"

I slept well.  I have some hot coffee in me.

I only had a partial bottle in the heater so it took the edge off the chill and ran out. 

High Island (which is sunken) was actually exposed yesterday.  That's rare. 

20201121_132559.jpg

While I was on the boat goofing off,  my wife was catching and banding saw-whet owls. She caught a girl that was banned 2 years ago which is cool but also,  a red Eastern screech owl. 

21141.jpeg

21153.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm unable to participate this year due to covid restrictions at the federal facility she uses for this or I'd be there. 

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am amazed she doesn't wear Kevlar gloves!

She needs all her dexterity to safely extract them from the nets. She knows how to hold them to restrain their angry little feet. Once in a while she gets shanked by a squirmy bird but not often.

So...not all is well that ends well. My transmission went up this morning. Slippage after reaching a certain RPM. I checked the shaft and coupling and that's not the issue. I had enough grip left in the discs to get back to the dock but I'm done until I replace the unit.

I'm not faffing about with rebuilding it after watching what @SloopJonB went through. In spite of our large sailing presence in the area our marine shops are notoriously incompetent, crooked and expensive. I can fuck it up myself for $100/hr. I'm gunning for a brand new replacement if possible. I don't even want to mess around with a "remanufactured" unit unless someone gives me a compelling reason to.

I have one of the smallest Hurth units so I can easily manhandle it at the dock. I'll replace the damper plate while I'm in there.

Follow along on my transmission debacle over in the Discarded Tartan thread. I'll be posting solutions and looking for experience and opinions.

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

In spite of our large sailing presence in the area our marine shops are notoriously incompetent, crooked and expensive. I can fuck it up myself for $100/hr. I'm gunning for a brand new replacement if possible. 

Ajax - I’m not in your area, but there’s an Annapolis diesel shop whose owner is a frequent contributor on the boatdiesel.com forum.  Very experienced, knowledgeable.  Indeed, probably not cheap - but no one’s skilled work is (or should be) cheap.  Just saying, I’ve had some good help from Vosbury Marine (Dick Vosbury).

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

That's "hide the salami"

But weren't you alone for the night? Oh dear, oh dear....  

And here I thought "practicing Italian" might be similar to "turning Japanese".

13 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That's really a question of core flexibility. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elegua said:
4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That's really a question of core flexibility. 

Not to mention flexibility of principles

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not to mention flexibility of principles

FB- Doug

If you can reach, principles   are   of    no    importance.