Sign in to follow this  
dylan winter

the subtle pleasures of returning to your own mooring

My recent 300 miler from Newcastle to Suffolk gave me time to think about the mixed pleasures of returning to my own mooring (or pontoon berth}

image.thumb.png.e66497875474ed10fe23d533b0ca35f0.png

happiness and immense  satisfaction about a job reasonably well done, the sleep of the dead in the security of a familiar berth

in my case coming home means negotiating the bar, then comes the sail up the estuary with the incoming tide, the phone call to Jill that I am home and would  she plese row over to pick me up

the contented feeling that an adventure is over

but sadness too

that the adventure is over

D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

My recent 300 miler from Newcastle to Suffolk gave me time to think about the mixed pleasures of returning to my own mooring (or pontoon berth}

image.thumb.png.e66497875474ed10fe23d533b0ca35f0.png

happiness and immense  satisfaction about a job reasonably well done, the sleep of the dead in the security of a familiar berth

in my case coming home means negotiating the bar, then comes the sail up the estuary with the incoming tide, the phone call to Jill that I am home and would  she plese row over to pick me up

the contented feeling that an adventure is over

but sadness too

that the adventure is over

D

Yeah but there's another adventure waiting next week so it's all good.

We just went off for a daysail a couple days ago. Drop the mooring pennant, hoist the fore & jib, head down channel. Anchor for lunch, look about then home on the ebb. Not much wildlife out but hey, still a lovely day out on the water.

FKT

There is nothing quite so nice as taking your mooring or getting the hook down in a known spot when you can turn all the extra stuff off upstairs and just relax and sleep oh so good.

In the morning all the new adventures will be there to contemplate with coffee or whatever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Waldringfield

D

With your history and KTL film series, you're about half famous. No doubt you've met many of your fans over the years.

While most people don't barge into someone's dooryard unannounced, you are the type of 'bloke' that I suspect a few people just think they might drop in out of the blue, if 'in the area'. 

Has that ever been a problem? Maybe sailing is sufficiently obscure that this doesn't happen? 

Most people email me

I row out with a bottle of scotch and some glasses

Met some very nice people

This is a very quiet bend in the river

D

• Like 1

Looks like a Victoria 26' on the cover image of your video. Wonderful little boat!

15 minutes ago, Kolibri said:

Looks like a Victoria 26' on the cover image of your video. Wonderful little boat!

I have always admired them too

14 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

With your history and KTL film series, you're about half famous. No doubt you've met many of your fans over the years.

While most people don't barge into someone's dooryard unannounced, you are the type of 'bloke' that I suspect a few people just think they might drop in out of the blue, if 'in the area'. 

Has that ever been a problem? Maybe sailing is sufficiently obscure that this doesn't happen? 

I used to own a DeLorean.  An unusual automobile but nothing really radical.

Total strangers would walk up and plop in the driver's seat while I was fueling up at the gas station. I've had people follow me home from the highway and park in my driveway to discuss the car.  I parked it in the yard as a prop for Halloween with a fog machine and a Flux Capacitor that I made. Parents would just let their kids jump in without asking.  One 4 year old boy snapped off the turn signal/hi beam stalk. His parents never apologized or offered to fix it. They just smiled and walked away. EVERYONE would touch the stainless steel body, leaving finger prints all over it.

I'm glad people are contacting Dylan by email instead of putting him through what I went through.

• Like 2

Dude. You bought a DeLorean. What did you expect?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:43 PM, dylan winter said:

Waldringfield

D

Nice spot. We used to do the Easter and autumn open meetings there until so many of the N12 sailors had kids not enough turned up to make a class.

I couldn't cope with that bar every weekend. Probably easier as you get used to it.

5 hours ago, IStream said:

Dude. You bought a DeLorean. What did you expect?

*AND* left it in a place where random strangers could sit inside it. Talk about asking for trouble. I'd be unhappy if some random kid wanted to sit on my Drott tracked loader without permission, and it currently doesn't even RUN.

FKT

11 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

*AND* left it in a place where random strangers could sit inside it. Talk about asking for trouble. I'd be unhappy if some random kid wanted to sit on my Drott tracked loader without permission, and it currently doesn't even RUN.

FKT

Especially if he had to cross your lawn to get to it?

55 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Especially if he had to cross your lawn to get to it?

Yeah that too. Stay off my lawn.

OTOH kids regularly sit in & play with the oars in my tin dinghy on the beach and that's fine as long as they don't lose the oars or rowlocks. Hard to damage a tin dinghy after all. I've done a fair attempt myself on oyster bars.

FKT

• Like 1