Bump-n-Grind

Jerry Jeff Walker --- DTS

linky

• Like 1

Yep. Back in the early 70s in an Austin bar (this was back when Austin was a cool college town when the legislature was adjourned), Mr. Walker, Mr. David Allen Coe, and Mr. W Nelson walked in. We all shot some shit, smoked a little, drank some Lone Star, and played a bit. Maybe a dozen dudes day drinkin'. Just folks, BITD. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I can't remember if it was the Birchmere in Arlington or someplace down in Richmond, that JJW snuck on stage to play that with Bromberg and his band. and ended up hanging out on stage with them for half a set or so before disappearing back into the audience

Aaaah!...Fuggidy-Fuggit!!!

8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Yep. Back in the early 70s in an Austin bar (this was back when Austin was a cool college town when the legislature was adjourned), Mr. Walker, Mr. David Allen Coe, and Mr. W Nelson walked in. We all shot some shit, smoked a little, drank some Lone Star, and played a bit. Maybe a dozen dudes day drinkin'. Just folks, BITD. 

Don’t forget Waylon as well. Good times for Texas music. 

He was always "Contrary to Ordinary".  I feel sad.

I found this tribute while searching through the good ol' stuff. Worth the time.

• Like 1

The girl who is now my wife went to see him in Albuquerque in the '70s, he was so drunk they unplugged his guitar, ended the show after about 4 songs.

Fast forward to the early '90s, Sclumberger is rolling out some new logging tools and throws a big party for customers, mostly upper level managers and company owners. An evening of steak and lobster, served by attractive young ladies, music by Jerry Jeff.

We arrived a little late, so took an empty table by the side of the stage. During a break one of the band members comes to sit with us and have a bite. He asks how we are enjoying the show, my wife says it's a lot better than last time, and starts her story. The guitarist looks dumbfounded, then says "yep, you were there alright. That was our low point, we've never forgotten." He runs backstage, next thing we know Jerry Jeff is sitting with us, apologizing to my wife and making it up to her with autographed swag, and reminiscing about the bad old days. He was really, really sweet. Fair winds, Jerry Jeff.

• Like 8

We saw him at the Ivanhoe in Chicago, 79-80, Vassar Clements opened.  We started on Jack and Coke.  When it took too long to get a second drink, we ordered 2 at a time, too many times.  Towards then end of the show, the drink provider gave us another round as we had drunk more than anyone in the house.  The spirit of Jerry Jeff guided through downtown Chicago, the Dan Ryan, the Calumet and Borman xpressways to home to Indiana.     

Damn , thanxs Mr B, it was a great time .

On 10/24/2020 at 12:45 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

I can't remember if it was the Birchmere in Arlington or someplace down in Richmond, that JJW snuck on stage to play that with Bromberg and his band. and ended up hanging out on stage with them for half a set or so before disappearing back into the audience

There was a place on Bryn Mawr, PA called the Main Point...  some say it was the REAL launching point for Bruce Springsteen as it brought his music screeching and howling from the Jersey Shore to the college crowd in and around Philadelphia.

Anyway, the two of them played there on a regular basis... along with many others, Tom Rush, Jonnie Mitchell, Bonnie Rait, Steve Goodman, Dan Fogelberg, Leo Kottie, Jackson Brown, and the list goes on..  Saw many great shows there.

He was absolutley my #1 favorite artist back in the 70's. Ironically enough, the first time I saw him was at the Haaavaad Sqaaar Theataaaa in 1977. Asleep at the Wheel opened. That still lives in my memory as one of favorite concerts ever. 

One of my top 5 favorite songs ever...and one of the best performances of it. (Guy Clark sure could write!)

Cool Story

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Don’t forget Waylon as well. Good times for Texas music. 

Yep and something upthread reminded me of the Armadillo WH. It was a big deal. Every group played there. Asleep at the Wheel was like the house band. And Walker was in from the beginning and help create the Austin Scene. 

10 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

This is news to me.

11 hours ago, On The Hard said:

He was absolutley my #1 favorite artist back in the 70's. Ironically enough, the first time I saw him was at the Haaavaad Sqaaar Theataaaa in 1977. Asleep at the Wheel opened. That still lives in my memory as one of favorite concerts ever. 

One of my top 5 favorite songs ever...and one of the best performances of it. (Guy Clark sure could write!)

Divorced in 82 or 83.  Ex got that album in the property split. She had better taste in music than I back then:lol:

• Like 1

Sad news.  A friend introduced me to his music back in '89, and I've been enjoying it ever since.  

• Like 1

Well, damn.  This sucks, but he lasted a lot longer than I would have guessed after watching him self destruct for a while.  I'm glad he lived a full life, sad that he suffered.

I first met him at a burger joint on 19th Street in Austin in '73 or '74.  I was fumbling for change in my pocket because I didn't want to break a bill for ten or fifteen cents.  Guy behind me said, "I got it, I got it."  Turned around to thank him and it was Jerry Jeff.  Which I thought was pretty cool until I realized I was holding up the line.  This was one of those joints where the only seating was picnic tables out front on the drive.  Then he joined me.  Wanted to know where I'd gotten my electric blue ostrich skin cowboy boots.  Told him I wasn't exactly sure, as they'd turned up on my feet at some point during a road trip to Colorado in my bus a few months earlier.  Which he found amusing and understandable, given the era.  I guess he imprinted on them because he remembered me by name a couple times later when our paths crossed, even though I'd cut my hair and shaved.  A genuinely nice guy.

RIP

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 10:21 AM, nacradriver said:

There was a place on Bryn Mawr, PA called the Main Point...  some say it was the REAL launching point for Bruce Springsteen as it brought his music screeching and howling from the Jersey Shore to the college crowd in and around Philadelphia.

Anyway, the two of them played there on a regular basis... along with many others, Tom Rush, Jonnie Mitchell, Bonnie Rait, Steve Goodman, Dan Fogelberg, Leo Kottie, Jackson Brown, and the list goes on..  Saw many great shows there.

The Main Point was an awesome spot! We caught a benefit show there once featuring Joni M and Tom Waits among many others about 1975. I'd also see Springsteen's name on the Erlton Bowl marquis in Cherry Hill, NJ about the same time, just before he broke big. Imagine seeing the Boss and the E Street Band with the big man in a bowling alley lounge? How I wish I'd checked it out back then.

We caught Jerry Jeff opening for Willie Nelson at the Santa Barbara County Bowl  one beautiful, sunny summer afternoon about 1978. I wasn't familiar with JJW then but was learning to like Willie and outlaw country about then. The biggest takeaways were how unnaturally white their skin was (I guess late night gigs don't allow for much beach time) and how hard they were both pulling on the jug by the time they all came onstage for the encores.

I think everyone on both sides of the stage had a great time that day.

• Like 1

Sadly followed by another Texas legend...Billy Joe Shaver...10/28/20