Madmax

Masthead Cal 20 with 150 Jib would win Hot Rum 2020

Recommended Posts

@260 rating...someone who wants to win should do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard PHRF fare, take a 4 kt shitbox and prepare it properly with good bottom, sails and crew, turning it into a 4.5 kt shitbox.  Then collect trophies.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real men (and women) race one design

Edited by Will1073
Gender inclusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Will1073 said:

Real men (and women) race one design

And get beaten repeatedly by really rich real men and women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobJ said:

More Cal 20 mods

 

Can-Pic.jpg

Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Madmax said:

@260 rating...someone who wants to win should do it!

A masthead Cal 20 isn’t a Cal 20.  But then again you are a racist Trump supporter, so cheating is in your DNA.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

And get beaten repeatedly by really rich real men and women.

You sound like a poor loser in the wrong class man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Portland 

OD Cal 20’s a 39 boat fleet with jibs and 180% frack spinnakers might do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, Madmax said:

@260 rating...someone who wants to win should do it!

17 hours ago, sunseeker said:

A masthead Cal 20 isn’t a Cal 20.  But then again you are a racist Trump supporter, so cheating is in your DNA.

I get threatened with a ban from the Ed for saying less.

And what was done that is cheating. If you made a Cal 20 masthead you would have to apply for the rating fix. Do you think in SD you could get away with a mod like that??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I get threatened with a ban from the Ed for saying less.

And what was done that is cheating. If you made a Cal 20 masthead you would have to apply for the rating fix. Do you think in SD you could get away with a mod like that??

 

Bruce Nelson does the handicapping for Hot Rum, so of course modding a Cal 20 with a masthead genoa will get hit, and probably relatively hard. 
 

Max just likes to play the complete asshole (actually, he doesn’t have to play being an asshole, it’s what he is at his core) especially for anything involving the Ed. I’m comfortable with my comments about Max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Dick Deaver or someone from the North loft tried that back in the late '60s with a Cal20+.  Not masthead, but had a small sprit w/more SA.  Don't remember if the 20+ had a taller stick or not.

Mike George won his class in the 78 or 79 (?) MDR to SD race flying a masthead Cal25 chute on his 'Standard' Cal20.  Said he was lucky the rig didn't come down...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 1:07 AM, sunseeker said:

A masthead Cal 20 isn’t a Cal 20.  But then again you are a racist Trump supporter, so cheating is in your DNA.

hahahahaha!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sunseeker said:

Bruce Nelson does the handicapping for Hot Rum, so of course modding a Cal 20 with a masthead genoa will get hit, and probably relatively hard. 
 

Max just likes to play the complete asshole (actually, he doesn’t have to play being an asshole, it’s what he is at his core) especially for anything involving the Ed. I’m comfortable with my comments about Max.

nelson doesnt do the handicaps these days, pretty sure greg stewart does it now..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 1:07 AM, sunseeker said:

A masthead Cal 20 isn’t a Cal 20.  But then again you are a racist Trump supporter, so cheating is in your DNA.

Yeah right, I voted for Obama and Clinton both, once.  I am a middle of the road guy who sees no merit in the Kamala era.

As for your cheating comments.....those are bold words.  I have been warned by Clean for way less rhetoric.  But Scot is such a Demorcrat no matter what, he even supports Biden/Kamala even though he knows deep down..it is a shitty ticket.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 11:24 PM, silent bob said:

B8E2960F-B8E1-4C11-95D4-C43AE4991702.jpeg

That was the year we won the qualifiers only to have Grillon remind me afterwards that nobody had won the Nationals and qualifiers!  Looks like 1993? Grillon and I won in 81 with almost all bullets when there were @ 60 boats.  Miss racing 20's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 1:21 AM, paz said:

I believe Dick Deaver or someone from the North loft tried that back in the late '60s with a Cal20+.  Not masthead, but had a small sprit w/more SA.  Don't remember if the 20+ had a taller stick or not.

Mike George won his class in the 78 or 79 (?) MDR to SD race flying a masthead Cal25 chute on his 'Standard' Cal20.  Said he was lucky the rig didn't come down...

 

I seem to recall that a fellow named Morgan Cox had a Thunderbird (plywood, hard chine).  Morgan was good sailor, very hard to beat and a stock Cal-20 was not so good in SD, so a little sail area was added.  I recall the bow sprit, but the mast head rig would have cost and $ was tight. I also recall John Rumsey pulling a young me out of the water at the launch party, when I put a foot wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that George Olson and Wayne Kocher had a Cal 20+ named Sopwith Camel just before Grendel. Little bowsprit, masthead kites. They raced it in the midget ocean. That boat had a lot of influence on George's design ideas at the time. It was for sale awhile ago here on SA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 1:21 AM, paz said:

I believe Dick Deaver or someone from the North loft tried that back in the late '60s with a Cal20+.  Not masthead, but had a small sprit w/more SA.  Don't remember if the 20+ had a taller stick or not.

Mike George won his class in the 78 or 79 (?) MDR to SD race flying a masthead Cal25 chute on his 'Standard' Cal20.  Said he was lucky the rig didn't come down...

 

It was 1979 and Mike actually used a Santana 20 chute from a S-20 I sailed on frequently.  It was too wide (illegal) We used a Thunderbird chute which was legal size for the J.   We both also had 150 jibs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Madmax said:

Yeah right, I voted for Obama and Clinton both, once.  I am a middle of the road guy who sees no merit in the Kamala era.

As for your cheating comments.....those are bold words.  I have been warned by Clean for way less rhetoric.  But Scot is such a Demorcrat no matter what, he even supports Biden/Kamala even though he knows deep down..it is a shitty ticket.

 

That you favor trump over Biden is all anyone needs to know about your logic, ethics and morals. You have none.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean this?

https://sailinganarchy.com/2008/11/20/13016/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sopwith Camel also had a spade rudder. Won some ocean races back in the day.

Max, you could pick it up for a song, and show Scooter what is what.

Re-live your glory days. It's a way to forget about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jhc said:

Sopwith Camel also had a spade rudder. Won some ocean races back in the day.

Max, you could pick it up for a song, and show Scooter what is what.

Re-live your glory days. It's a way to forget about...

Max is like the 2nd string high school quarterback who tells everyone he made all state. Like the Springsteen song Glory Days. Says he was a high school hero, but really a zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now