Sign in to follow this  
coconha

Sydney coach

First time posting here, we race offshore out of Sydney Harbour on an 34'. 

We know the basics of sail trim and still manage to get some good results every now and again. However, we are not consistent and sometimes we fail to find the right configuration to drive the boat.

We are considering hiring a professional to come aboard and coach us to improve our sail trim and general racing skills. Anyone has any tips where I can look for a coach?

Cheers.

Buy a new sail from one of the local sailmakers - they will usually put one of their team on board for a race or two to make sure the sail is set up properly.  I learned a lot from having sailmakers do a race or two on the boat.  

• Like 1

Or go to the local junior skiff club and invite winning crew to come out for a few races on your boat then let your egos go long enough to let them do their thing.

• Like 1

Brett Beyer. Message us for his contact details.

• Like 2

get a good crew (see below) then put the word out you are lookin for a coach and we come a runnin.

jagtcizgq3k41.jpg

• Like 1

@coconha - the first rule of SA is to put VWAP on ignore.    There are some other rules around here somewhere but I can't seem to find them.

• Like 1

VWAP has the crew locked down. 

Now all you have to do is PM LB15 and ask him to come aboard for a few races. 

Thanks for the posts. The sailmaker and the skiff winning crews are great ideas, but in the mean time I will see if I can reach Brett Beyer.

18 hours ago, VWAP said:

get a good crew (see below) then put the word out you are lookin for a coach and we come a runnin.

jagtcizgq3k41.jpg

You would never get anything done with those two on board.But who cares and you would have the best rail meat in the area.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, coconha said:

You get points for bravery. That would be very lumpy!

Well, I'll hopefully have my coach certificate by the end of the year... ;)

Google and word of mouth is a good start.  Many of the guys running campaigns will coach on the side (normally to kids which is where the market is at).   there is normally at least one or two qualified coaches at a given club, otherwise Sailing Australia has a list I think. 

Riggers and sail makers are worth asking but contrary to belief sail makers don't always make good coaches.   Nor do good sailors. 

Understand what you want to get out the coach though. A good coach in your instance should probably teach you the process of learning with some instruction.  A longer path than jumping on the boat and telling you how to go fast but you will be a better sailor for it. 

The problem with the latter is one guy will jump on with his or her opinions, the next guy will have theirs.  There is tacit knowledge in making a boat go fast that can't be taught directly. What can be taught is the process of learning that tacit knowledge. 

Out of interest (and a little market research) what sort of budget did you have in mind?  And would you consider a online service for a monthly subscription? 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:06 AM, VWAP said:

jagtcizgq3k41.jpg

Aren't they a bit top heavy to be really fast?

On 10/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, VWAP said:

jagtcizgq3k41.jpg

On 10/28/2020 at 3:26 AM, Panoramix said:

Aren't they a bit top heavy to be really fast?

Now Panoramix,

Your not thinking out side the square. These 2 heathy young ladies are perfect as a crew. They maybe top heavy to you. I see them as perfect rail meat and getting their weight out compared to some other crews I’ve seen. 

I do remember many years ago a young lady that Worked the foredeck on a Y88 who always wore short shorts. And it was always interesting to see her play with the other crews at mark rounding. Lol  The rest of her crew mates would just carry on as normal during the race and would  piss themselfs after the race at the mistakes the other crews would make.

Needless to say she was a very talented sailor to have on board. 

Pulpit

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, ISA said:

Brett Beyer. Message us for his contact details.

Brett's awesome, I've used him but tends to be dinghy focused AFAIK.  Not sure whether he does much on offshore keelboats.

Stuart Broom, Steve McConaghy are both excellent.  Stu more on boat and crew organising, trimming and moves, Steve that plus more out of the boat on-water stuff.  And ask around the yacht clubs who the various owners use.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, Jason AUS said:

Once upon a time 34 was a good mid size for offshore.  Age has caught up with you Jason!!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, SCARECROW said:

Or go to the local junior skiff club and invite winning crew to come out for a few races on your boat then let your egos go long enough to let them do their thing.

What makes you think the local Skiffies want to spend a day on a 4knot shitbox?

On 10/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, coconha said:

We know the basics of sail trim and still manage to get some good results every now and again. However, we are not consistent and sometimes we fail to find the right configuration to drive the boat.

We are considering hiring a professional to come aboard and coach us to improve our sail trim and general racing skills. Anyone has any tips where I can look for a coach?

Cheers.

Look no further. I am 10K a day plus expenses. (Expenses include a private gulfstar from Brisbane to Sydney, limos at either end and a case of XXXX each day.) Get your people to call my people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Look no further. I am 10K a day plus expenses. (Expenses include a private gulfstar from Brisbane to Sydney, limos at either end and a case of XXXX each day.) Get your people to call my people.

Quarantine fees? 

Just now, Spoonie said:

Quarantine fees? 

Good point. Make that 15k a day. Plus some hookers and blow. Send pics of the hookers first.

39 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

What makes you think the local Skiffies want to spend a day on a 4knot shitbox?

$$

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, Jason AUS said:

Lol, posting here for the first time requires bravery.

7 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Brett's awesome, I've used him but tends to be dinghy focused AFAIK.  Not sure whether he does much on offshore keelboats.

Stuart Broom, Steve McConaghy are both excellent.  Stu more on boat and crew organising, trimming and moves, Steve that plus more out of the boat on-water stuff.  And ask around the yacht clubs who the various owners use.

Thanks @DickDastardly, I will reach out to them too.

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

or add these

On 10/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, VWAP said:

jagtcizgq3k41.jpg

then you are cheap?

Make sure to have someone take a bump of the blow for you in case it is loaded with fentynal. 

Can’t be on your game if you are nodding off like a junkie

15 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

or add these

then you are cheap?

Not as cheap as them.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:22 AM, Spoonie said:

Well, I'll hopefully have my coach certificate by the end of the year... ;)

Google and word of mouth is a good start.  Many of the guys running campaigns will coach on the side (normally to kids which is where the market is at).   there is normally at least one or two qualified coaches at a given club, otherwise Sailing Australia has a list I think. 

Riggers and sail makers are worth asking but contrary to belief sail makers don't always make good coaches.   Nor do good sailors. 

Understand what you want to get out the coach though. A good coach in your instance should probably teach you the process of learning with some instruction.  A longer path than jumping on the boat and telling you how to go fast but you will be a better sailor for it. 

The problem with the latter is one guy will jump on with his or her opinions, the next guy will have theirs.  There is tacit knowledge in making a boat go fast that can't be taught directly. What can be taught is the process of learning that tacit knowledge. 

Out of interest (and a little market research) what sort of budget did you have in mind?  And would you consider a online service for a monthly subscription? 

Please PM with your details. Happy to chat.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, DickDastardly said:

Once upon a time 34 was a good mid size for offshore.  Age has caught up with you Jason!!

What? I can’t hear you! Speak up, you young Snap Her, Whip Her!

On 10/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, LB 15 said:

Good point. Make that 15k a day. Plus some hookers and blow. Send pics of the hookers blow first.

Priorities LB

Shop online for the best variety and description from a trusted site

414A64BB-2A3B-4E70-A131-DEED765D8545.png

370C2604-5713-457E-869F-17E8CD3448A0.jpeg