Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Kavanaugh - Ballots Not For Flipping An Election

19 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

broad view (the only truly relevant one); no godamn cites are needed to know with 100% certainty that the reich-wing is cheating and trying to pilfer this election. period. it's literally a default position by utter necessity. dirty, shameless cunts.

so fuck the details of the grim reality, at this point the 'gop' exists to fall. 

A position with which I am fine with. But I feel some in this thread are getting a little excited and making factual errors.

20 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

broad view (the only truly relevant one); no godamn cites are needed to know with 100% certainty that the reich-wing is cheating and trying to pilfer this election. period. it's literally a default position by utter necessity. dirty, shameless cunts.

so fuck the details of the grim reality, at this point the 'gop' exists to fall. 

Is there a Moron Academy? You were Suma Cum Laud? Count your IQ on both hands and a foot?  IDIOT.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's not a diabolical plot, it's just a two-fold attack on democracy.... vote suppression, and suppression of confidence in the election (the result of the voting process).

You've voted, no problem, that's nice. Not everybody is as lucky as you. Or are you fully on board with the standard Trumpalo "I've got mine, fuck everybody else" method of justifying an increasingly unfair society? Considering many of those who seem to agree with this don't have much, it's kind of an irrational attitude IMHO as well as distasteful.

The pretense that somehow a bell dings at the close of business on Election Day and we magically know who wins, is not how it ever worked. Never. This is a new fantasy that Trump started peddling so he'll have reasons to screech & whine that night, and IMHO reason to declare himself the winner because delay=cheating.

- DSK

For starters, my ballot did not feature a vote for Trump, so that nonsensical bullshit goes out the window. 

Actually on topic, why was the voting process so simple for me?  I actually went through the process. You read about it on the internet. Please explain why that makes your knowledge of it more accurate than mine. 

12 minutes ago, warbird said:

Is there a Moron Academy? You were Suma Cum Laud? Count your IQ on both hands and a foot?  IDIOT.

without name calling, though that's all that's needed here because it's wholly relevant; stfu, you goofy trumpturd.

As per usual, it seems that I’ve missed nothing

You've chosen to ignore content by warbird. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by The Joker. Options 

2 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

As per usual, it seems that I’ve missed nothing

yea, some 'perspective' and an open invitation to vent your grievances.

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

You DO understand is that the SC merely upheld the existing state law, right?  Just as the appellate court did before that.  The state law was very clear that the ballots must be received BY election day.  Given that ballots went out weeks ago, there is no excuse to wait until the last second.  If you wait until the last second to mail in your ballot, then you're an idiot and your vote deserves to not be counted.  We have enough idiots who can vote already.  

jFKs98rupYQtXfGohjlen0y6OLYiWZ99mxg7kKp3

So you voted early, did you?

32 minutes ago, Monkey said:

For starters, my ballot did not feature a vote for Trump, so that nonsensical bullshit goes out the window. 

Actually on topic, why was the voting process so simple for me?  I actually went through the process. You read about it on the internet. Please explain why that makes your knowledge of it more accurate than mine. 

I never claimed to know more than you, I asked why you think other people who may have had worse circumstances thru no fault of their own, and still followed all the laws, should not have their vote counted.

- DSK

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I never claimed to know more than you, I asked why you think other people who may have had worse circumstances thru no fault of their own, and still followed all the laws, should not have their vote counted.

- DSK

Who didn't get their vote counted (asked 7 days BEFORE THE FUCKING ELECTION)

16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Now that my cite is no longer an excuse Still waiting for you to admit you were making shit up about ballots being mailed out beyond the state law deadline.  

12 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Now that my cite is no longer an excuse Still waiting for you to admit you were making shit up about ballots being mailed out beyond the state law deadline.  

I said they were delayed, which is what your cite stated.

Go back and read. Take your time.

- DSK

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

Considering that the good folks of PA are making this out to be some sort of diabolical plot, can one of you explain why I had absolutely no trouble voting already in the state of Wisconsin?  Seriously, it was quite simple. 

Ding.  I already said that with all the ways to vote early - there is zero excuse to not be able to get a ballot in by the deadline.  And if you don't, tough fucking luck.  

How far in advance did you get your mail in ballots?  Mine came in the mail in early Oct.  It took me about 10 min to fill it out, as there were a lot of down ballot choices (2 pages).  I dropped it in the USPS post box on the way to work about 2 days later.  My vote was in and registered by mid Nov.  If you plan to mail vote and you're waiting to the last sec, you're simply wrong.  Just saying.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You've voted, no problem, that's nice. Not everybody is as lucky as you.

How so?  Are the poor not allowed to use the mail?  Are blacks and latinos banned from the Post Office?  Seriously, what obstacles do they have to fill out their ballot and send it in?  It's not like they even have to buy a fucking 30 cent stamp to send it back.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Give me an example..... because I'm not following how someone is forced to mail their ballot in late.

8 hours ago, hasher said:

Because some votes are more important.

26144482._SX540_.jpg

21518155._SY540_.jpg

George_Santayana.jpg

Why Do We Cry? Exploring the Psychology of Emotional Tears | Psychology  Today

6 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Give me an example..... because I'm not following how someone is forced to mail their ballot in late.

so as long as the mail is post marked before the cutoff then it's counted no matter when the post office actually delivers it ?

obtuse twat .

3 minutes ago, Mid said:

so as long as the mail is post marked before the cutoff then it's counted no matter when the post office actually delivers it ?

obtuse twat .

That is how it works out here in civilization aka CA. Your ballot must be postmarked by Tuesday, November 3, 2020 and received no later than Friday, November 20, 2020. Your mileage may vary as Jeff's boy Shitstain has been fucking with the Post Office.

1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

Your ballot must be postmarked by Tuesday, November 3, 2020 and received no later than Friday, November 20, 2020.

so the post office holds the whip hand ....Good Luck you are going to need it .

I hope no one gets the impression that our main man George Orwell (Eric to his Mum) 

was any sort of conservative. 

He despised that elk 

1 hour ago, Mid said:

obtuse twat .

That’s not true in all states. I think in some states, the ballot has to arrive by erection day. 

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

That is how it works out here in civilization aka CA. Your ballot must be postmarked by Tuesday, November 3, 2020 and received no later than Friday, November 20, 2020. Your mileage may vary as Jeff's boy Shitstain has been fucking with the Post Office.

He’s a much YOUR boy as he is mine. 

Just saying. 

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

That’s not true in all states. I think in some states, the ballot has to arrive by erection day. 

so

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

control the speed of the post and that's that sorted .

3 minutes ago, Mid said:

so

So it invalidates your assertion. 

how so ?

what control does the poster have over the speed of the mail once the item is in US Post hands ?

2 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

So all the Postal Service has to do to make sure America remains Great is hold on to ballots from certain zip codes for and extra day or week in some key states? Wow. No wonder the first thing Trump's Postmaster/campaign donor did was dismantle the fast sorting machines. 

Seriously, I don't think that terribly likely. The postal worker rank and file will not allow it to happen without raising a big fuss and while those ballots won't be counted at some point they will be tabulated. There will be hell to pay if UnAmericans win anyway.  The risk reward ratio for Trump's  Postmaster is ungood.  He could spend the majority of the rest of his life answering questions on CSPAN. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mid said:

how so ?

what control does the poster have over the speed of the mail once the item is in US Post hands ?

By not waiting to the last minute to mail it back. Any more stupid questions?

15 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I know you're not saying right-wing orchestrated voter disenfranchisement doesn't cast a huge dark cloud over this election, 'lil bitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

You missed his point dumbfuck. It’s ok, dumbfuck, it’s who you are.

funny watching Republicans like Bart pretend they weren’t arguing to count long delayed mailings in 2000, but that’s who they are, and that’s why dumbfucks like jeffreaux still answer the call

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

So all the Postal Service has to do to make sure America remains Great is hold on to ballots from certain zip codes for and extra day or week in some key states? Wow. No wonder the first thing Trump's Postmaster/campaign donor did was dismantle the fast sorting machines. 

Seriously, I don't think that terribly likely. The postal worker rank and file will not allow it to happen without raising a big fuss and while those ballots won't be counted at some point they will be tabulated. There will be hell to pay if UnAmericans win anyway.  The risk reward ratio for Trump's  Postmaster is ungood.  He could spend the majority of the rest of his life answering questions on CSPAN. 

They’ve been suing, it’s only now - like yesterday - getting ruled on. Team trump is ratfucking everything they can, taking advantage of the ignorance of dumbfucks like jeffraux, and the partisan stupidity of the rest of the elk herd.

join the dots ,,,,

18 hours ago, The Joker said:

If you are that afraid Then get your ass in your car and drop it off in person.  Or as the majority are planning-  vote in person. 

Yeah, I am not a Trump fan and don’t think  Kavanaugh should be there but this “every vote should count” even if it’s a week late thing is just dumb. It’s not like the election is a surprise. The cutoff should be election day at 8:00pm.

Also don’t understand why this is partisan. I suspect that the logic that the Dems mail it in and the Trumpers vote in person in stupid hats and flags will be at least partly wrong.

From what I see the Dems are showing up early in person and waiting in line. The trumpers in my family in FL are voting by mail.

6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Glad you know the circumstances of every voter's life.... or is it that you're just dismissive of anything other than your own peers and people who look like you?

- DSK

10 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Yeah, I am not a Trump fan and don’t think  Kavanaugh should be there but this “every vote should count” even if it’s a week late thing is just dumb. It’s not like the election is a surprise. The cutoff should be election day at 8:00pm.

Also don’t understand why this is partisan. I suspect that the logic that the Dems mail it in and the Trumpers vote in person in stupid hats and flags will be at least partly wrong.

From what I see the Dems are showing up early in person and waiting in line. The trumpers in my family in FL are voting by mail.

It's partisan because the righties and Trumpalos are all fine with making it difficult/impossible for probable Democrats to vote and have their vote counted. To them, democracy is a kind of curtain for the Guy In Charge to hide behind, not a basic principle

- DSK

17 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Yeah, I am not a Trump fan and don’t think  Kavanaugh should be there but this “every vote should count” even if it’s a week late thing is just dumb. 

Other states (WA, CA) ballots are to only required to be postmarked by Election Day and it works fine. What’s dumb about it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Glad you know the circumstances of every voter's life.... or is it that you're just dismissive of anything other than your own peers and people who look like you?

- DSK

There are deadlines for a lot of things in life. If they made the deadline Election Day plus 4 extra days some people would still fuck it up. Why not just have the election cutoff be Election Day and tell people to mail it in so it gets there in time? Why do we have to work around the “circumstances of every voter’s life?” 

I know somebody will call me a Trumpalo racist dumbass again for this but I voted Biden and the dem ticket, early. All the voter suppression signature checking, Louis Dejoy, and Trump lawsuits are total bullshit IMHO. But expecting people to either vote on Nov 3 or get their vote in by Nov 3 is not voter suppression. It is common sense. Otherwise the election swings by a noose for another week because some people can’t get their shit together.

2 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

There are deadlines for a lot of things in life. If they made the deadline Election Day plus 4 extra days some people would still fuck it up. Why not just have the election cutoff be Election Day and tell people to mail it in so it gets there in time? Why do we have to work around the “circumstances of every voter’s life?” 

That’s kavanaughs bullshit argument. he even made the spurious comparison to tax returns.

fer fucks sake states have a month to certify their elections. Things aren’t done being counted that day, they never are.

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's partisan because the righties and Trumpalos are all fine with making it difficult/impossible for probable Democrats to vote and have their vote counted. To them, democracy is a kind of curtain for the Guy In Charge to hide behind, not a basic principle

- DSK

Yeah they suck. So fight that stuff. The dems always fight the wrong battles. RESIST! This is why so many people hate the new Dems. They RESIST everything the GOP does instead of picking their battles. Fight them on taking away drop boxes, arbitrarily deleting registered voters and ballots, etc. But when Dems fight for stupid shit like counting votes a week late or allowing unregistered voters with no ID who show up on Election Day to vote, then they are as bad as Trumpers.

2 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:
15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I know somebody will call me a Trumpalo racist dumbass again for this but I voted Biden and the dem ticket, early. All the voter suppression signature checking, Louis Dejoy, and Trump lawsuits are total bullshit IMHO. But expecting people to either vote on Nov 3 or get their vote in by Nov 3 is not voter suppression. It is common sense. Otherwise the election swings by a noose for another week because some people can’t get their shit together.

Yes, there has to be a hard deadline. And you're right again, there's always somebody that fucks it up. I used to work with a bunch of guys that could fuck up a peanut butter sandwich, as well as being late with it.

But there are a couple of significant issues, and some actions by Trumpublicans that are deliberate voter suppression... fucking up the Post Office, for example. Fucking with the mail has always been a serious crime and I hope DeJoy gets a nice stripey suntan for it and time to think it over. Efforts by several state governments to screw up getting the ballots out, or to change the rules in the middle of the election (Wisconsin did both, my state tried and failed at the first).

If the rule is (and has been since long before the election) that the ballot has to be in the hands of the county clerk by close of business Election Day, that's fine. Postmarked by Election Day, that's fine too.... as long as the rule is not changed, is easy to find out, and is fairly enforced.

4 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:
17 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah they suck. So fight that stuff. The dems always fight the wrong battles. RESIST! This is why so many people hate the new Dems. They RESIST everything the GOP does instead of picking their battles. Fight them on taking away drop boxes, arbitrarily deleting registered voters and ballots, etc. But when Dems fight for stupid shit like counting votes a week late or allowing unregistered voters with no ID who show up on Election Day to vote, then they are as bad as Trumpers.

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of the organized/official Democratic Party. A high proportion of them are charter members of the I-Can-Fuck-Up-A-Peanut-Butter-Sammitch Club. But at least it's a big tent, and so disorganized that tyranny is unlikely to take root there

- DSK

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

fer fucks sake states have a month to certify their elections. Things aren’t done being counted that day, they never are.

Yes. The counting goes on for a while. What does that have to do with it? Pick a day, get the votes in, cut off, then count. “But some people can’t make a deadline.” Boo fucking hoo. Seriously. Part of the problem in some places the last two elections was they were counting while still receiving ballots for days. 

In 2000 the Democrats sued repeatedly to disqualify absentee and military ballots that arrived late or without matching signatures or any signatures. Same bullshit. 

In 2000 Brett Kavanaugh sued to have those votes counted.

Again the whole argument is covid19 and the post office have fucked things up so planning exactly how long th8ngs would take is more difficult. And counting takes time Anyways. Weeks. Not days.

I don’t get the insistence on “pick a day of arrival” other than being crusty fucks that like seeing people fail, aka Republicans. But this place is old men, and that’s what old men do.

32 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

In 2000 Brett Kavanaugh sued to have those votes counted.

Exactly. In the 2000 election the Dems and Kavanaugh were on 180 degrees the opposite side of where they are this time. Their positions now are not some principle they believe in. It is just power. And us little people are supposed to line up on one side or the other and believe whatever bullshit they are selling this time around. “Go team.” Fuck that. I’m Independent so I can think for myself and call bullshit on the bullshit parts.

The rest of your argument, let’s just allow the votes to roll in indefinitely until the counting is done or whenever, makes no sense to me. 

(Told you somebody would call me a Republican... Didn’t anticipate “crusty and old” tho LOL)

7 hours ago, Burning Man said:

State Law in Wisconsin

8 hours ago, Burning Man said:

So, not saying you, but the elk have gone from “early voting is bad” to “better mail it in really early!”

ahh hypocrisy.

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
8 hours ago, Burning Man said:

So, not saying you, but the elk have gone from “early voting is bad” to “better mail it in really early!”

ahh hypocrisy.

Because like all doublethink, you have to completely forget yesterday's talking points and embrace today's Big Lie with fervor

- DSK

I agree with the OpEd. Republicans putting activist judges on the bench is leading to some strange Federal power grabs. States rights my ass...

Just as they did in the infamous Bush v. Gore litigation in 2000, Republican lawyers are trying to get the Supreme Court to undermine state court rulings protecting voting rights under state law. Their theory? That state courts, by relying in part on state constitutions, are wrongly exercising power that belongs to state legislatures.

This idea that state constitutions are irrelevant, and that all that matters is what state legislatures say, is preposterous. Yet recent events suggest this wrongheaded theory may have some traction among the justices.

And this theory has huge consequences. It would mean that many of the decisions you are reading about, where state judges are applying state constitutions to protect the right to vote (say, by findingthat ballots postmarked by Election Day will be counted, or that onerous witness requirements will be relaxed because of Covid-19) would now be fair game for the Supreme Court to reverse — even though these decisions are interpretations of state law by state courts.

So far, partisan attempts to involve the federal judiciary have failed, and rightly so. Early last week, the Supreme Court rejected an effort by Pennsylvania Republicans to overturn a Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision that votes postmarked by Election Day but received a few days later must be counted. The court deadlocked 4-4, letting the state court decision stand, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the court’s three Democratic appointees in voting to leave undisturbed what the state court had done.

Now the Republican challengers are trying to bring the case back before the court, hoping to win support from its newest member, Amy Coney Barrett. We may see a similar push to overturn a second Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling issued last Friday, also protecting state voters’ rights — this time to have their votes counted notwithstanding technical signature glitches in mail-in or absentee ballots.

Federal courts have no business interfering in state-law matters. As the three of us wrote back in 2000, the effort of several justices to hijack state law in Bush v. Gore was a disgrace. These justices asserted that the “Florida Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Florida election laws impermissibly distorted them beyond what a fair reading required.” Of course, “fair reading” meant how these justices read state law, not how Florida’s expert judges saw the matter.

No Supreme Court case before 2000 ever tried this maneuver to upend a decision by a state court on state law, and in Bush v. Gore itself, only three justices, led by the chief justice at the time, William Rehnquist, claimed that the federal Constitution made them the ultimate word on the meaning of state election codes.

Until this week, only Justice Clarence Thomas, writing for himself, had ever invoked any aspect of Bush v. Gore as good law. But on Monday evening, ominously, Justice Brett Kavanaugh repeatedly endorsed Rehnquist’s Bush v. Gore concurrence, claiming that the Supreme Court should feel free to second-guess state court interpretations of state election law whenever presidential elections are at issue.

9 hours ago, 3to1 said:

I know you're not saying right-wing orchestrated voter disenfranchisement doesn't cast a huge dark cloud over this election, 'lil bitch.

See this is where I'm not getting all the bitching.  I'm a huge fan of mail in ballots.  It takes away all the ammo that y'all keep whining about voter suppression.  If a poor black D voter has a ballot but doesn't mail it in time to make the election - he or she has suppressed themselves due to idiocy and laziness.  But unless they just don't send it or get off their lazy ass to drop it off at the PO, then there is nothing the big bad mean old GOP can do to stop them.  As Mark said, there is no way the rank and file USPS worker - many of them black and latino BTW - are going to stand for it without blowing a lot of whistles.  So if the ballot is in the mail early enough - and most states mailed them out WAAAAY early - then there is no excuse.  THERE IS STILL 6 DAYS TO GET YOUR BALLOT IN!!!  If it's not already filled out and in the mail today - you're a fucking retard.

3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

but this “every vote should count” even if it’s a week late thing is just dumb. It’s not like the election is a surprise. The cutoff should be election day at 8:00pm.

Ding!

It's not like the election date wasn't know for what..... 20 something years in advance.  

If someone showed up to the polls on Nov 4th and said "sorry, I'm late - I got busy and forgot to come yesterday" - they would be told to GTFO.  The same should be the case with the mail in votes.  And if you're worried that the mail won't get there in time, either drop it off at the poll station and hand it to the person there or vote while you're there.  There's 6 more days to go.  I have zero sympathy for anyone who can't get off their ass and mail an envelope, or drop off the envelope, or go and vote on ANY one of the next 6 days.  I'm sorry, but there comes a point where you have to take some responsibility for yourself and make it happen and stop expecting everyone else, especially the guvmint, to fucking coddle you.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

Ding!

It's not like the election date wasn't know for what..... 20 something years in advance.  

If someone showed up to the polls on Nov 4th and said "sorry, I'm late - I got busy and forgot to come yesterday" - they would be told to GTFO.  The same should be the case with the mail in votes.  And if you're worried that the mail won't get there in time, either drop it off at the poll station and hand it to the person there or vote while you're there.  There's 6 more days to go.  I have zero sympathy for anyone who can't get off their ass and mail an envelope, or drop off the envelope, or go and vote on ANY one of the next 6 days.  I'm sorry, but there comes a point where you have to take some responsibility for yourself and make it happen and stop expecting everyone else, especially the guvmint, to fucking coddle you.  

So, you agree with the Supremes butting in on the States then. Cool.

50 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Ding!

How victims of deliberate fraud?

Also, 6 days is not a lot of time for mail delivery if you are out of your home state. It is easy to construct a realistic scenario where the ballot was delayed in getting to you, and delayed getting back.... and that's without deliberate fuckery by a few strategically-placed Trumpublican thugs at the Post Office

- DSK

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

So, you agree with the Supremes butting in on the States then. Cool.

Actually it was first a lawsuit by Dems ,  a district court  win for the Dems, then an Appellate court overturned the decision  and finally  SCOTUS  agreed with the appellate court. 

Do you have problem with any of those or just pissed that SCOTUS followed both the state law and the appellate court ruling?

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Also, 6 days is not a lot of time for mail delivery if you are out of your home state. It is easy to construct a realistic scenario where the ballot was delayed in getting to you, and delayed getting back.... and that's without deliberate fuckery by a few strategically-placed Trumpublican thugs at the Post Office

- DSK

Where the fuck is the fraud you lying sack of shit?   The Ballots were mailed on or before September 17   There is not a single story that WI voters did not receive their Ballots.  By the most conservative estimate they have had them by the first week of October. There are NO STORIES that the rank and file Post office worker is not receiving, processing and delivering those ballots to election officials.  STOP MAKING SHIT UP 

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

ahh hypocrisy.

Early voting is fine as long as ALL polling places/clerks offices have the same hours.  In Wisconsin, the predominantly liberal areas of Milwaukee and Madison extend their hours and days of operation during elections.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

I agree with the OpEd. Republicans putting activist judges on the bench is leading to some strange Federal power grabs. States rights my ass...

Just as they did in the infamous Bush v. Gore litigation in 2000, Republican lawyers are trying to get the Supreme Court to undermine state court rulings protecting voting rights under state law. Their theory? That state courts, by relying in part on state constitutions, are wrongly exercising power that belongs to state legislatures.

This idea that state constitutions are irrelevant, and that all that matters is what state legislatures say, is preposterous. Yet recent events suggest this wrongheaded theory may have some traction among the justices.

And this theory has huge consequences. It would mean that many of the decisions you are reading about, where state judges are applying state constitutions to protect the right to vote (say, by findingthat ballots postmarked by Election Day will be counted, or that onerous witness requirements will be relaxed because of Covid-19) would now be fair game for the Supreme Court to reverse — even though these decisions are interpretations of state law by state courts.

So far, partisan attempts to involve the federal judiciary have failed, and rightly so. Early last week, the Supreme Court rejected an effort by Pennsylvania Republicans to overturn a Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision that votes postmarked by Election Day but received a few days later must be counted. The court deadlocked 4-4, letting the state court decision stand, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the court’s three Democratic appointees in voting to leave undisturbed what the state court had done.

Federal courts have no business interfering in state-law matters.

And State Courts have no business changing state law.....

2 minutes ago, warbird said:

Early voting is fine as long as ALL polling places/clerks offices have the same hours.  In Wisconsin, the predominantly liberal areas of Milwaukee and Madison extend their hours and days of operation during elections.

Those evil public servants, serving the public. How dare they! They need to be incompetent so we can cut their funding!

1 minute ago, warbird said:

And State Courts have no business changing state law.....

Is that so? What if the law is deemed unconstitutional wrt that states constitution?

I guess you agree with Joker that the courts really have no reason to exist.

8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Is that so? What if the law is deemed unconstitutional wrt that states constitution?

I guess you agree with Joker that the courts really have no reason to exist.

Ballot deadlines on election day have never been deemed unconstitutional 

Nice try idiot.

Just now, warbird said:

Ballot deadlines have never been deemed unconstitutional 

Nice try idiot.

Imagine if I said they did. Imagine!
you made a statement that State Courts cannot interpret state law. That's an interesting new legal theory there counselor.

As per usual, the local Reich is being just as duplicitous as the wider Reich. 

What they really want is to stop counting ALL ballots on Nov. 3rd., 

including those that arrived on time and were properly cast. 

They must be looking at Belarus for inspiration. 

The evil-assed authoritarian Drumph said this more than once . . 

“It would be very, very proper and very nice if a winner were declared on Nov. 3, instead of counting ballots for two weeks, which is totally inappropriate and I don’t believe that that’s by our laws,” 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I have zero sympathy for anyone who can't get off their ass and mail an envelope, or drop off the envelope, or go and vote . . . .  I'm sorry, but there comes a point where you have to take some responsibility for yourself and make it happen and stop expecting everyone else, especially the guvmint, to fucking coddle you.  

I have zero respect, let alone sympathy for anyone who couldn't get off their ass, suck up their disappointment at the choices, and vote in 2016. There comes a point where you have to take some personal responsibility and VOTE.

You didn't vote in 2016, you have NO grounds to complain about guvmint or about others who did vote wanting the guvmint to behave in any certain way.

• Like 1

To repeat, Drumph and the Reich are demanding that the vote counts be halted on Nov. 3rd 

30 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

To repeat, Drumph and the Reich are demanding that the vote counts be halted on Nov. 3rd 

Good thing 60 million folks have already voted.

What about the states that can't open the mail in ballots till election day, do they have to stop counting when the clock strikes 12?

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

Where the fuck is the fraud you lying sack of shit?   The Ballots were mailed on or before September 17   There is not a single story that WI voters did not receive their Ballots.  By the most conservative estimate they have had them by the first week of October. There are NO STORIES that the rank and file Post office worker is not receiving, processing and delivering those ballots to election officials.  STOP MAKING SHIT UP 

We're not in talking about Kansas Wisconsin any more, Toto.

BTW your cite said that ballots were ready to be mailed, and implied many -were- being mailed, Sep 10. Then dropped back to the 15th "or later". So they were delayed, with no corresponding change in date due.

When bill collectors do this, it is considered fraud.

As for the Post Office, Trump has said many times that he has asked his buddy at the US Postal Service to slow down election mail.

News. Pay attention. It's how you find out what the fuck is happening.

- DSK

13 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Good thing 60 million folks have already voted.

What about the states that can't open the mail in ballots till election day, do they have to stop counting when the clock strikes 12?

That’s what they are gonna angle for.

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

See this is where I'm not getting all the bitching.  I'm a huge fan of mail in ballots.  It takes away all the ammo that y'all keep whining about voter suppression.  If a poor black D voter has a ballot but doesn't mail it in time to make the election - he or she has suppressed themselves due to idiocy and laziness.  But unless they just don't send it or get off their lazy ass to drop it off at the PO, then there is nothing the big bad mean old GOP can do to stop them.  As Mark said, there is no way the rank and file USPS worker - many of them black and latino BTW - are going to stand for it without blowing a lot of whistles.  So if the ballot is in the mail early enough - and most states mailed them out WAAAAY early - then there is no excuse.  THERE IS STILL 6 DAYS TO GET YOUR BALLOT IN!!!  If it's not already filled out and in the mail today - you're a fucking retard.

I wasn't alluding to mail in ballots specifically, but that there's this bunch of dirty fkg right-wing kuntz who are trying everything they can to steal this circus out from under the nose of their political opponents. it's driven partly by some wack sociopath mutherfucker who wears a wig and makeup and who is trying to stay in office so he doesn't face prosecution for being a pos. 

heartless corporate lap dogs and whores WHO LITERALLY NEED TO CHEAT, and do, to politically survive because their interests aren't those of the world and planet. if were up to me, those assholes would be buried, simply for the greater good. I'm only attempting to cast their roach asses in the light for the sake of the careful scrutinization that's needed here.

two 'sides', one side is fkg shit. you know all this, but it seems to run right off your shortsighted ass.

By their silence the local Reich is admitting that the GOPistas 

will indeed demand that ALL vote counts are halted on the evening of Nov 3rd. 

Everything they wrote above was just an evil-assed effort to distract. 

And the snowflakes wonder why we call them the "Reich". 

16 minutes ago, 3to1 said:
3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I wasn't alluding to mail in ballots specifically, but that there's this bunch of dirty fkg right-wing kuntz who are trying everything they can to steal this circus out from under the nose of their political opponents. it's driven partly by some wack sociopath mutherfucker who wears a wig and makeup and who is trying to stay in office so he doesn't face prosecution for being a pos. 

heartless corporate lap dogs and whores WHO LITERALLY NEED TO CHEAT, and do, to politically survive because their interests aren't those of the world and planet. if were up to me, those assholes would be buried, simply for the greater good. I'm only attempting to cast their roach asses in the light for the sake of the careful scrutinization that's needed here.

two 'sides', one side is fkg shit. you know all this, but it seems to run off your shortsighted ass.

Burning Karen thinks that Trumpublican rat-fuckery is OK, it's just part of the game. But he does NOT support Trump, dammit! You goddam faggot libby-rulls better not try enforcing actual fair laws, that's fucking CHEATING!! It's SO-O unfair!!

- DSK

31 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

That’s what they are gonna angle for.

And to Tomballs myself, I think that’s why Trump is still making a play for Minnesota. MN mailin ballots have to be postmarked by Election Day and received by November 10. Tailor made for postal service ratfucking in the Twin Cities where the majority of D votes are gonna come from. Reduce TC votes, amp up outstate, steal it.

18 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:
21 hours ago, Burning Man said:

You DO understand is that the SC merely upheld the existing state law, right?  Just as the appellate court did before that.  The state law was very clear that the ballots must be received BY election day.  Given that ballots went out weeks ago, there is no excuse to wait until the last second.  If you wait until the last second to mail in your ballot, then you're an idiot and your vote deserves to not be counted.  We have enough idiots who can vote already.  

jFKs98rupYQtXfGohjlen0y6OLYiWZ99mxg7kKp3

So you voted early, did you?

My daughter's physical ballot arrived here in NZ about 4-5 days ago.

Unfortunately, she's at school in Pennsylvania. We were sure where she would be with the pandemic in all, so she had our "current place in the world" (the marina we rode the pandemic shutdown and winter in) as her address, which should have triggered an e-mail ballot being sent. In fact, she got a confirmation e-mail about her target address, and instructions online that she'd be sent an e-mail ballot.

But they didn't do it.

Fortunately, she's a bright kid and socially conscious, and when we got our e-mail ballots and she didn't get hers she called the board of elections. They told her they'd snail mailed it to New Zealand (which they aren't actually supposed to do). So she requested that they e-mail it. They said "sure."

A few more days went by, no e-mail. Remember, they e-mailed her a change of shipment confirmation so they have her e-mail.

So she called back again, because she didn't get it (yes, she checked her spam folder). They told her they e-mailed it, and she's only allowed to request a mail ballot three times and if she asks again they can not help her anymore. So she had them snail mail her a ballot to school, which finally showed up about a week and a half ago. It took about a week to go first class mail from Florida to Pennsylvania.

So it's not always the fault of the lazy voter, there are fuckups in the system and the mail has been slowed. Is still being slowed, apparently.

I completely understand why our Trumpaloon and Republican friends don't want people to vote - most people don't want them or their policies, and when people vote they lose. But those of us who believe in democracy feel voting should be EASY to accomplish, and it's the governments job to remove hurdles and barriers to voting and counting votes, not throw them up.

It's no accident the Trump campaign is suing all over the country to fuck with the counting and voting process.

9 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

My daughter's physical ballot arrived here in NZ about 4-5 days ago.

Unfortunately, she's at school in Pennsylvania. We were sure where she would be with the pandemic in all, so she had our "current place in the world" (the marina we rode the pandemic shutdown and winter in) as her address, which should have triggered an e-mail ballot being sent. In fact, she got a confirmation e-mail about her target address, and instructions online that she'd be sent an e-mail ballot.

But they didn't do it.

Fortunately, she's a bright kid and socially conscious, and when we got our e-mail ballots and she didn't get hers she called the board of elections. They told her they'd snail mailed it to New Zealand (which they aren't actually supposed to do). So she requested that they e-mail it. They said "sure."

A few more days went by, no e-mail. Remember, they e-mailed her a change of shipment confirmation so they have her e-mail.

So she called back again, because she didn't get it (yes, she checked her spam folder). They told her they e-mailed it, and she's only allowed to request a mail ballot three times and if she asks again they can not help her anymore. So she had them snail mail her a ballot to school, which finally showed up about a week and a half ago. It took about a week to go first class mail from Florida to Pennsylvania.

So it's not always the fault of the lazy voter, there are fuckups in the system and the mail has been slowed. Is still being slowed, apparently.

I completely understand why our Trumpaloon and Republican friends don't want people to vote - most people don't want them or their policies, and when people vote they lose. But those of us who believe in democracy feel voting should be EASY to accomplish, and it's the governments job to remove hurdles and barriers to voting and counting votes, not throw them up.

It's no accident the Trump campaign is suing all over the country to fuck with the counting and voting process.

Having just gone through a provincial election here, the difference in attitude is enormous. Went to the elections site, requested mail-in ballots, which arrived three days later. We filled them out then took them to one of our multiple options for securely dropping ballots, done deal.

Have you guys considered democracy as an alternative to whatever the fuck is going on there now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Having just gone through a provincial election here, the difference in attitude is enormous. Went to the elections site, requested mail-in ballots, which arrived three days later. We filled them out then took them to one of our multiple options for securely dropping ballots, done deal.

Have you guys considered democracy as an alternative to whatever the fuck is going on there now?

Like our healthcare, the problem is clearly so complex and enormous that no nation in the world can figure out how to ensure free and fair elections.

The Aussie system works well. I can vote absentee at any polling booth anywhere in the country. Turn up, give them my name & address, they check the electoral roll to see I'm in that electorate, get the ballot papers.

Piece of piss.

Having said that I'm basically in agreement with Jeff on this one. There needs to be a cutoff date/time and if your ballot isn't in the system by then, so sad too bad.

You don't agree? Tough. Do you really want to keep counting votes for the 2020 election right up to the next one? If not, then you agree implicitly that there needs to be a cutoff date and the discussion *SHOULD* be what's a reasonable one to have. Not trying to evade that discussion just to score some stupidly petty little point on <Enemy party> bad. Which is what you're doing ATM.

You guys are arguing past each other because you're so entrenched into your petty little divisions that you can't bear to acknowledge good points when they're raised. It's pathetic to see supposedly adults behave like this.

But by all means carry on - just reinforces my opinion that the lot of you are batshit crazy and you shouldn't be encouraged to leave home.

FKT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burning Man said:

either drop it off at the poll station and hand it to the person there or vote while you're there

This..  The utter stupidity of this hand ringing is dumb.  Count it if it is postmarked by the date, simple.  Heck, No one is going to know who won (Unless Biden Just crushes it) for a couple of days, so there will be plenty of time to count.  (Unless Biden crushes it)  The ballots at the deadline votes aren't gonna make one iota of difference 

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We're not in talking about Kansas Wisconsin any more, Toto.

BTW your cite said that ballots were ready to be mailed, and implied many -were- being mailed, Sep 10. Then dropped back to the 15th "or later". So they were delayed, with no corresponding change in date due.

When bill collectors do this, it is considered fraud.

As for the Post Office,Trump has said many times that he has asked his buddy at the US Postal Service to slow down election mail.

News. Pay attention. It's how you find out what the fuck is happening.

- DSK

Did they meet the State deadline - YES    So there was no reason to extend the due date. Pretty simple unless you are an idiot.

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Regularly get mail from Chicago from my mother.   Usually a letter will take 2-3 days from Chicago to den Reg Post.  Last one took 6-7 days.  They are fucking with stuff

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Imagine if I said they did. Imagine!
you made a statement that State Courts cannot interpret state law. That's an interesting new legal theory there counselor.

State courts cannot change the law.... imagine...

14 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Having said that I'm basically in agreement with Jeff on this one. There needs to be a cutoff date/time and if your ballot isn't in the system by then, so sad too bad.

You don't agree? Tough

Jeffreauxs state of residence is fine with ballots being postmarked as late as Election Day then allows up to 7 days for them to arrive, as far as I can see the “tough” is just emptying posturing on his part.

4 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Regularly get mail from Chicago from my mother.   Usually a letter will take 2-3 days from Chicago to den Reg Post.  Last one took 6-7 days.  They are fucking with stuff

Yup. My sister in rural Vermont sends my letters, and books, and stuff on a regular basis. Usually took 2-3 days to N. Fl. Now it can be over a week.

12 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

There needs to be a cutoff date/time and if your ballot isn't in the system by then, so sad too bad.

Most states AFAIK have a cutoff date for ballots.  It seems the recent left led challanges want to extend that cut off date.