Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Guns and Polling stations, really?

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/27/us/trump-biden-election#texas-supreme-court-upholds-governors-order-for-single-drop-box-per-county-for-mail-in-ballots

You know, the more I read about how you guys conduct elections the more I wonder why you're not Afghanistan.

This bit really made me laugh.

Judge Murray noted that voter intimidation was already against the law in Michigan.

“If anyone feels intimated by someone brandishing or carrying an open weapon, there’s already statutory authority to take care of that problem,” he said.

That's such a relief!!

Judge Christopher M. Murray of the Michigan Court of Claims blocked the secretary of state from banning gun owners with open carry permits from bringing their firearms to the polls.

A judge in Michigan blocked the state’s top elections official on Tuesday from banning gun owners from bringing their firearms to the polls with them on Election Day next week under the state’s open carry law.

Judge Christopher M. Murray of the Michigan Court of Claims granted a preliminary injunction to several gun rights groups, which had sued Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, over the ban.

The groups argued that Ms. Benson had overstepped her authority when she ordered local election clerks on Oct. 16 to prohibit the open carrying of firearms in polling places, clerk’s offices and absent voter counting boards.

“That smacks of an attempt at legislation,” Judge Murray said during an emergency hearing that was conducted on Zoom. “This is the kind of thing where public input is required.”

Judge Murray noted that voter intimidation was already against the law in Michigan.

“If anyone feels intimated by someone brandishing or carrying an open weapon, there’s already statutory authority to take care of that problem,” he said.

The state’s lawyer, Assistant Attorney General Heather Meingast, said there were legitimate concerns about voters being allowed to bring their guns with them to the polls. She cited the alleged plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan that was thwarted by the F.B.I. earlier this month and the tempestuous rhetoric over the election in the battleground state.

“We’ve had numerous complaints,” Ms. Meingast said. “There are voters who are afraid. There are election workers who are afraid to go to work on Election Day.”

In Michigan, it is illegal to bring a firearm to a school or church, which are widely used as polling places. The law makes exceptions for anyone who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, though lawyers for the plaintiffs in the case asserted that they would also be adversely affected.

The plaintiffs said that Ms. Benson’s duties as the secretary of state were limited to the administration of elections and said that the ban could subject law-abiding gun owners to arrest while exercising their right to vote and bear arms. One of the plaintiffs was the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, an advocacy group that fought for changes to the state’s concealed carry laws in the early 2000s.

“What they’re concerned about specifically is the bypassing of the normal procedure for making such rules and laws, and the demonization of gun owners in general by somehow determining that the mere presence of a firearm is going to be an issue with intimidation or assault,” said Steven Dulan, a lawyer for the group.

I was born and raised in Michigan. As much as I like going back there, I have come to realize that there is a portion of the population that is fucking nuts.

1 hour ago, Great Red Shark said:

Whenever I see Meal Team Six I wonder what happened to Charles Whitman.

Huh??

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Huh??

You haven't been paying attention.....

Meal Team Six is a Proud Boy/Leatherman  of outstanding proportions and a popular internet image. Imagine a 5'6"  450 lb blob of very white lard jammed into a full Special Forces costume, with an AR15, a Glock, and a vest full of pouches for stuff.

He hates Lefties publicly. Secretly he also hates females for scorning and avoiding him since he was five years old. 

He loves Trump, his guns, and maybe Baby Jesus.

I don't see the connection with Whitman, though. MealTeam6 couldn't walk up a single.flight of stairs without having a heart attack, never mind getting to the top of a tower.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Huh??

Some prime examples....

meal_team_6_operator.jpg.cdd3f40ccaee2879d1520fc3d0882c19.jpg28cfaf8.thumb.png.764eae419b68c0ef6b1f691d4e837291.pngimages.jpeg-2.jpg.810a8d92d8a728a9e48e8bd895a9fcd3.jpgimages.jpeg-1.jpg.cbe1700a8eb535f3a0658b1491c3a8c3.jpgimages.jpeg.jpg.2aff4b55de1ff296b581dfad96868977.jpgtumblr_inline_ov4865fgHn1qk1e3w_500.jpg.e4f68456d4d74fc503b2cda8a7e7705d.jpg

and on and on and on...Google meal team 6

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
12 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

cliffsignal.jpg

You aren’t the hero we need

That's why I lit the Cliffsignal.

3 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

ah, the nostalgia... from the ghost database... ;)

3 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

Your self awareness is, as always, top notch incontinent Tom.

but you got me and jocal to reply, so that must give your angry inch of Medicare Part D fueled dick a little bump, right tommy?

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, Gangbusters said:

I was born and raised in Michigan. As much as I like going back there, I have come to realize that there is a portion of the population that is fucking nuts.

Just another of the countless unknowns Trump's presidency has exposed.

Wow. This guy's butt crack starts at his shoulders.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

13 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Huh??

I see the Meal team six reference has been covered,  as for Mr. Whitman,  whenever I see these clown preening over their tactical gear I long for a tower sniper or two.

Waiting for the Reich to come by and explain . . 

what a great idea it is to have all sorts of weaponry 

at the polls. 

40 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Waiting for the Reich to come by and explain . . 

what a great idea it is to have all sorts of weaponry 

at the polls. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VhmSays said:

Some prime examples....

-various nauseating 'meal team 6' images, deleted

..and Jesus wept.

crazy how many mf'ers out there just barely hanging on to their sanity.

Besides the Meal Team ridicule, what if?

What if some less responsible gun owners seize a polling place and drive voters away at gun point?

What if they decide to pull through and lock down the building before police arrives?

Can these voters go to an alternative location? If not, can they vote later? Is there a plan B?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 9:18 AM, Shortforbob said:

You know, the more I read about how you guys conduct elections the more I wonder why you're not Afghanistan.

I guess the idea of the legislature making laws instead of the sec state declaring laws by divine fiat went right over your head.

37 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

I guess the idea of the legislature making laws instead of the sec state declaring laws by divine fiat went right over your head.

Not at all, I just find that a judge making comments about the voters have nothing to feel intimidated by, from gun toting rednecks brandishing their weapons at polling places highly amusing.

I thought brandishing a weapon was a crime?

I wonder how many of these rednecks will claim to be "poll watching" and resist when poll workers quite rightly toss them out on their arses..oh wait a minute. People get shot for that.

I'm guessing they'll just leave them be.

37 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I thought brandishing a weapon was a crime?

You seem to think alot of things, but maybe you should ask the chief party school lawyer in here about MI law.

4 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

You seem to think alot of things, but maybe you should ask the chief party school lawyer in here about MI law.

My bad, It's a 90 day misdemeanor in MI .

So I guess the cops will be out in full force issuing tickets.

Seriously, why don't you move to somewhere like Kazakhstan. Where you can intimidate voters to your hearts content...oh wait..you can do it right at home  

10 hours ago, VhmSays said:

Some prime examples....

meal_team_6_operator.jpg.cdd3f40ccaee2879d1520fc3d0882c19.jpg28cfaf8.thumb.png.764eae419b68c0ef6b1f691d4e837291.pngimages.jpeg-2.jpg.810a8d92d8a728a9e48e8bd895a9fcd3.jpgimages.jpeg-1.jpg.cbe1700a8eb535f3a0658b1491c3a8c3.jpgimages.jpeg.jpg.2aff4b55de1ff296b581dfad96868977.jpgtumblr_inline_ov4865fgHn1qk1e3w_500.jpg.e4f68456d4d74fc503b2cda8a7e7705d.jpg

OK, now that's some funny shit!

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

My bad, It's a 90 day misdemeanor in MI 

Even if you are a Christian, threatening death to prevent voter fraud like the wrong sort voting?    Depends on the elected sheriff.   

The Cliffsignal didn't work so maybe the direct approach...

On 10/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, mikewof said:

OC is better in all situations. You're advertising your commitment to your Constitutional rights, you warn the soft flowers from a distance that you're armed, you don't need to dig through a "tactical purse" to find your gun, and you presumably don't need to ask anyone's permission to carry your gun.

Now, if you switch from openly carrying a handgun to openly carrying a lightweight long gun, you'll then usually have a more effective tool for most intended purposes. 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:00 AM, Quotidian Tom said:

You forgot to ask a question or a make a point, or insult me, or insult the memory of Rick Yukon's lost millions.

Did you want to discuss the chunk of plywood in your yard? Vintage fishing gear? Hobie Adventure Island?

On 10/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, Grog said:

Besides the Meal Team ridicule, what if?

What if some less responsible gun owners seize a polling place and drive voters away at gun point?

What if they decide to pull through and lock down the building before police arrives?

Can these voters go to an alternative location? If not, can they vote later? Is there a plan B?

No.  George McGovern and Al Gore were not president.  Brooks Brothers is bankrupt. And Trump is President. 

On 10/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, Shortforbob said:

Nice, this one is wearing a mask.

Judge blocks Election Day ban on the open carry of guns near Michigan polling  places - Chicago Tribune

With a Cowboy Hat?  Texas :o Rangers! :o  Or the Silver Surfer?

On 10/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, Shortforbob said:

How to Report Men With Guns at Polling Places « Spocko's Brain

I guess shades are required.  You’d think they could agree on a specific style.  

On 10/29/2020 at 11:39 PM, Shortforbob said:

How to Report Men With Guns at Polling Places « Spocko's Brain

What a bunch of losers. Eat them as a snack after breakfast. Now i know why 100 round magazines are so popular in the DSA. Because people can't hit shit with their guns.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, Shortforbob said:

Nice, this one is wearing a mask.

Judge blocks Election Day ban on the open carry of guns near Michigan polling  places - Chicago Tribune

Bozo nose?

5 hours ago, mikewof said:
On 10/30/2020 at 4:00 AM, Quotidian Tom said:

You forgot to ask a question

Oh. OK.

What do you think about "advertising your commitment to your Constitutional rights" by openly and notoriously carrying when you go to vote?

you can say that again?

guns and voting, if together, become oxymoronic

if we want the higher road (and we say we do)

then any tie goes to the non-violent alternative, between guns and voting

guns introduce terror, by their nature

and so the statute of northampton was reinforced for 500 years...until the influence of larry pratt's herd of elk

gunz at polls bring moar gunz at polls, and (duh) force is not appropriate near the dispassionate and sacred act of voting

On 11/1/2020 at 2:04 AM, Quotidian Tom said:

Oh. OK.

What do you think about "advertising your commitment to your Constitutional rights" by openly and notoriously carrying when you go to vote?

My grandfolks used to own a bar in Denver back when the cattlemen used to come through town for selling and buying stock.

All patrons had to hang up their guns before they could expect service.

Certain activities are incompatible with guns, concealed or open. Getting shitfucked on Tivoli beer, tequila and whisky with strangers is one of those activities. Voting, flying, and dealing with the fury of a woman scorned are likely other such activities.

People who feel naked without their gun are as dysfunctional as people who can't tolerate moving through a boring day without weed or hooch. There is nothing wrong with leaving one's guns at home, when common sense urges.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

My grandfolks used to own a bar in Denver back when the cattlemen used to come through town for selling and buying stock.

All patrons had to hang up their guns before they could expect service.

Certain activities are incompatible with guns, concealed or open. Getting shitfucked on Tivoli beer, tequila and whisky with strangers is one of those activities. Voting, flying, and dealing with the fury of a woman scorned are likely other such activities.

People who feel naked without their gun are as dysfunctional as people who can't tolerate moving through a boring day without weed or hooch. There is nothing wrong with leaving one's guns at home, when common sense urges.

Does common sense urge, or is that only likely?

Nope...  According to POTUS and the DOJ at least.  That is the entire point of him throwing so many wrenches into the works.  If one sticks, say the non counting of legitimate ballots even though they are post marked election day(Which has been done forever in normal election years).  This will allow him to bunker down in the WH behind his frigging wall and declare a misvote or some such.  They are gonna need tanks to get him out...  Meh, The WH was getting long in the tooth anyway.  Jeffro may be right.  The bitch is going to burn if Biden does not win bigly.  :wacko:

Who doesn’t expect a false flag of fake ballots being discovered in a polling station or real ballots being snuck out back to the dumpster?    The county clerks I’ve met are honest and would be hard to buy, but it just takes one to tarnish the process.   The Republicans need a cover story for Barr to swoop in and prevent Trump from losing a key state or two,   There’s a lot of states where government is more red then the citizens, and eager to protect their power.   Some would back Barr.  

4 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

Does common sense urge, or is that only likely?

What do you think?

Why would you ask? Don't be a dummy.  Tom makes choices, then he thinks.

@Quotidian Tom is a thinker, one with a National Merit Scholarship on his resume. But he is a particular kind of thinker.

• Tom thinks that unidentified financial contributions are, and should be, the equal of the voting rights of working citizens.
  • Tom is a thinker, but one who out-thinks the scientific conclusions about how guns are feeding the urges for suicides. 
  • Tom's thinking concludes that guns bring safety to women in our society.
  • His thinking concludes (ahem, endlessly) that plinkers are being taken (though what we face is a plethora of uncollectable, bona-fide, battle weapons).
  • Tom chooses to think (and coach) that it is a felony to hand a plinker to an associate, in one's yard. 
  • Tom "thinks", and has advertised for years, that Joe is a racist...based on a single, out-of-context, statement.
  • But Tom can't think fast enough to accept, reject, or modify the Standard Model of the Second Amendment, a Libertarian concoction.
  • Tom is the type of thinker to seek reinforcement in the mornings from reason.com, a Koch Bros. mechanism.
  • Yeah, look at this mess. Tom's thinking is faulty, all over the place, cuz CATO.

Sorry, Cliffster, but Tom has morphed into a shill. He is just not an observant, vibrant person, thinking.