Sign in to follow this  
DialedN_07

New F18 - Goodall Design Akurra

Goodall Design announced Tuesday the name of their next gen F18 cat.  
Akurra. 

Rendering below.  Don't know how accurate the rendering will be to the actual production model but I find it very interesting that they rendered it in yellow.  Anyone think they will actually produce the boat in this color? My vote is no....but who knows.
Not a heckuva lot they can do but conform to the box rule, but obviously it will have a decksweeper main, optimized jib to work with the main, likely twin, skin trampoline.  Any other thoughts?

123002710_10164270203040627_7944227766725457380_o.jpg

Higher aspect ratio boards?

10 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

the bow looks much like the eXploder A-class of 2013 to 2016.  A fast boat.

46511300_1996538670401243_5829046669722779648_o.jpg

Yes it was a fast shape back in the day. Been superseded by the AD3 shape which is demonstrably quicker. 

5 hours ago, WetnWild said:

Yes it was a fast shape back in the day. Been superseded by the AD3 shape which is demonstrably quicker. 

Quicker for foiling, I bet if you put straight boards in both boats that the AD3 is the slower shape.

5 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Quicker for foiling, I bet if you put straight boards in both boats that the AD3 is the slower shape.

No one has put straight boards in an A cat since 2009 so that would be difficult to test. 
Classic boats are built with continuous curve C boards. When the AGM decision in Poland 2017 was made to establish the Classic discipline there was a meeting between the Exploder builder (Jakub) designer (Gonzalo) and a couple of leading sailors. The old shape and the AD3 shape were considered as a production initiative. The design numbers strongly favoured the AD3 shape and it has been produced as a specific classic boat for two and a half years. I’ve had one for two years and had the earlier shape for two years before that. I’ve found the AD3 to be faster using both a classic sail and a decksweeper in all conditions and competition up to Worlds level. That’s been my observation of other sailors too. 

Now back to F18 discussion. It will be interesting to see how the new Goodall boat measures up against the current benchmarks of the Exploder and Edge. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 4:56 PM, WetnWild said:

Now back to F18 discussion. It will be interesting to see how the new Goodall boat measures up against the current benchmarks of the Exploder and Edge. 

That’s going to come down to build quality and in particular platform stiffness.  If this is just the C2 with a face lift then improvements will be incremental at best.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:24 PM, SCARECROW said:

That’s going to come down to build quality and in particular platform stiffness.  If this is just the C2 with a face lift then improvements will be incremental at best.

It's not a facelift, there is a lot going on below the waterline and the construction. Best part is they will finally be able to compete with Edge and Exploder on color choices!