Senator Seditious Maximus

PNW Race Week 2021: Who's In?

OK you green tree huggers and rainy-day dreamers in the PNW, who's excited about the new Race Week location and date?  Cool or 2020ish?  Looks like great spot geographically, just not certain a month earlier doesn't present some cold-weather challenges?  What the hell is it like then in June??

https://www.raceweekpnw.com/

If the border is open and the state isn't in lockdown we'll take the SC 27 and one of our hotel boats down.  Itching to use that boat in anger.

Looking at the venue, where would the racing be?  Fidalgo Bay?

Slightly better chance of breeze in June than in July, I reckon. 

I am probably going try to make if I can find a ride. I don't know where the racing area will be. Many a Anacortes sailor chime in. This could be a good venue.

For summer wind, the two best nearby places in PNW are Cow Bay and Squamish.

Unfortunately, they are both in Canada, and both already have popular summer regattas.

Although Squamish can be a bit too hairy at times (see 2010 video below) and is jammed with windsurfers and mainly kiteboarders these days.  Lots of shredded kites and other assorted carnage in the video.

5 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Unfortunately, they are both in Canada, and both already have popular summer regattas.

Although Squamish can be a bit too hairy at times (see 2010 video below) and is jammed with windsurfers and mainly kiteboarders these days.  Lots of shredded kites and other assorted carnage in the video.

Wylie 30 with the blue kit was looking good.  Until it wasn't!

The Port of Anacortes is going to open up new formal RV parking next to the marina, but perhaps not casual camping?  They are pretty excited about PNW Race Week.

It's a great venue, although wind and currents can be issues.  We have a rule that we will only anchor 3 times during a race, and then we go home and drink.  Currents and lack of wind can be monumental, but it's a great venue!

PNWRW... Ummm... kind of grows on you.

Washington Park is kinda cool, and its a nice bicycle ride along the coast from there to Coupeville for breakfast.

Washington Park may be the best 95 acres in America.

The first day that I worked in Anacortes in 1973, I took my lunch out to Washington Park.  I visited the tide pools at low tide on the West end of the park and saw 2 octopus (octopi?) lurking in them, and I was truly amazed.

I had a chance to begin work at a significant architectural firm in Seattle, but decided to remain in Anacortes, and I won by staying in Anacortes.

14 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Looking at the venue, where would the racing be?  Fidalgo Bay?

My guess would be the area bounded by Guemes Island, Vendovi Island, and Samish Island. Possibly extending north toward Lummi Island. The area is larger than Penn Cove and allows good courses in the most common wind directions. The downside is that tidal currents play a larger role. The motoring distance from marina to course is about the same.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

My guess would be the area bounded by Guemes Island, Vendovi Island, and Samish Island. Possibly extending north toward Lummi Island. The area is larger than Penn Cove and allows good courses in the most common wind directions. The downside is that tidal currents play a larger role. The motoring distance from marina to course is about the same.

Looks right for NW and SE winds - does the JD Fuca westerly get in there?  What would racing look like if it did?

As a former Anacortes sailor I can tell you this much.....

The best sailing venue within 1 hr of Cap Sante is North side of Guemes

The Port and city of Anacortes feature legendary hospitality from Oyster Run to Arts and Crafts Festival

Excellent local sailmakers, riggers, yards and facilities for boaters

Decent offshore anchorage, except for some times (compare to Whidbey)

Tremendous culinary and music scene, numerous parks, mtn biking trails, air BnB's

Best damn Yacht club in the tri county area

Good looking women and children are brighter than average

Hmmm maybe I'll have to move back;)

• Like 2

I am hoping to hear from the Cowichan Bay Sailing Association that next years regatta will go on as usual. Last year was cancelled, but we have good wind from11 in the morning to 530, all held on the first weekend in August.

4 hours ago, Spindrift V said:

The Port and city of Anacortes feature legendary hospitality from Oyster Run to Arts and Crafts Festival

Tremendous culinary and music scene, numerous parks, mtn biking trails, air BnB's

Its that you Fishbait?

4 hours ago, Spindrift V said:

You just have to add: "And you can bring both your racing boat and a hotel boat and moorage is free for the week."  If not, where is the best anchorage?

7 hours ago, Spindrift V said:

The women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are all above average.

Or so they say.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, 12 metre said:

They've been kind in recent years and put the finish line a couple cables further from the harbour entrance.

On 11/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, Rain Man said:

You just have to add: "And you can bring both your racing boat and a hotel boat and moorage is free for the week."  If not, where is the best anchorage?

Right outside the marina entrance.

50 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Right outside the marina entrance.

Literally anywhere... Which is kind of the problem for racing purposes :lol:

He who doesn't snag a crab pot will win!

Love Anacortes though. Easy place to get to, easy place to go to a bar, just kinda makes sense all around. A good median of a place. 

The wind in Penn Cove is special. The pressure from the Straights spills over the isthmus and streams down the cove in a beautiful smooth serpentine with the sweetest starboard tack burnout start, long lifting layline calls, and only one death zone:  Blowers Bluff (named for the Commodores daughter) is only 263 ft and fucks up the wind halfway to Saratoga. The topography on Cypress is 6x at 1500. What does the wind look like after that?
How bout you Anacortes gurus tell us some local weather stories to chum the  navigator pool?

Anacortes Yacht club's big regatta's are usually run in the area North of Guemes, about an hour motor from Cap Sante. Unpredictable winds make that a challenge.

If the weather can manage a consistent high pressure system there is a decent afternoon westerly right outside the marina, but the water can get a little thin. 

I think that keeping the option of either location may be beneficial

The venue is top notch and has the added option for a dingy regatta out of South Harbor Park facility.

If the Port allows a camping area in the proposed RV location (North basin gravel parking lot) it should be fenced off to allow for suitable adult summer camp behavior!! With rum tents and nefarious activities. 

WL