Mid

When I Win the Lottery

I won $5 today.  No boat but I will buy another ticket!  Someday!

And for the sake of convo, I don't think I'd buy a super yacht no matter my net worth.  My sailing tastes are much more modest for boat ownership.  I'd commission a rad 50 foot race boat then charter a big yacht for 2 weeks in the Med when I want to be comfy.

• Like 1

My wife said that if I ever won it she’d take half and leave me.

So when I came home the other day I split the 26 euros with her and she’s gone.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

I won $5 today.  No boat but I will buy another ticket!  Someday!

And for the sake of convo, I don't think I'd buy a super yacht no matter my net worth.  My sailing tastes are much more modest for boat ownership.  I'd commission a rad 50 foot race boat then charter a big yacht for 2 weeks in the Med when I want to be comfy.

I'm with you. I don't want a boat I can't reasonably handle solo or with one other, at least in normal conditions. Or that requires incredibly complex systems to function. I've known a couple of folks- people who could afford absolutely anything- who bought larger boats. In one case it was a 70-something power yacht that was sold within a year, and in one case a 160' showpiece that required a full time crew- that one lasted a few years before hitting the market. I don't think either one got as much pleasure out of their boats as I have out of much more modest craft. 

At this point in life I'm looking for simplicity and peace, hopefully shared with some friends and family- any lottery winnings devoted to maritime pursuits would go towards quality and aesthetics, rather than size or flash. I admire CL's attitude and success- and his boat- as pretty near ideal.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

My wife said that if I ever won it she’d take half and leave me.

So when I came home the other day I split the 26 euros with her and she’s gone.

"Honey, honey, I won the lottery!  Pack your bags!"

"Wow.  Where are we going?  Hawai'i?  Italy?  Caribbean?"

"No, just pack your bags."

‘Get your coat on.’

’Why, are you taking me out?’

’No. I’m going to the pub and turning the heating off.’

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 11:43 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Maybe you could bail to tax-dodging haven Valletta (Malta) like the owner of that Bougie Nightmare. 

not sure how one would collect the lottery money without tax being taken out...  you can be damn sure that the government gets their cut at 35% before you even see your money...

I know two guys in their 70s who singlehand 60+ footers all over the Mediterranean. One is a modern sled with electrohydraulic everything including an induction stowe, one is a 50 year old leadmine ketch with retrofitted electrics on three of its 17 winches. Of course, if they ever leave the Med they take crew with them; they're not stupid, just old.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

I know two guys in their 70s who singlehand 60+ footers all over the Mediterranean. One is a modern sled with electrohydraulic everything including an induction stowe, one is a 50 year old leadmine ketch with retrofitted electrics on three of its 17 winches. Of course, if they ever leave the Med they take crew with them; they're not stupid, just old.

When I was very much younger, I single-handed a Swan 65 ketch around the Caribbean.  A lot of advance thinking and preparation for every maneuver, especially mooring.  I got in hot water in English Harbour Antigua after anchoring and coming stern-to in the dockyard at night without help, and being grilled by the sergeant in the morning, asking where my crew had gone before clearing in.  It took a call to a mate in Grenada, my last port, to convince him I was solo.

I loved that boat.  Actually top of my lottery list.  It may not be fast by 2020 standards, but it will get you there in almost any weather, in some comfort too. 

I'm not sure that I'd single-hand it now, though!

Boat for sale - Nautor Swan 65-007 Iconic S&S Ketch - 65'

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

When I was very much younger, I single-handed a Swan 65 ketch around the Caribbean.  A lot of advance thinking and preparation for every maneuver, especially mooring.  I got in hot water in English Harbour Antigua after anchoring and coming stern-to in the dockyard at night without help, and being grilled by the sergeant in the morning, asking where my crew had gone before clearing in.  It took a call to a mate in Grenada, my last port, to convince him I was solo.

I loved that boat.  Actually top of my lottery list.  It may not be fast by 2020 standards, but it will get you there in almost any weather, in some comfort too. 

I could never get the 65 sloop I ran to back up controllably. Kudos

1 hour ago, longy said:

I could never get the 65 sloop I ran to back up controllably. Kudos

The sloop was a bit unbalanced.  King's Legend, Mehitabel (?).

The secret with the Swan 65 ketch, at least in the Caribbean, was to select a mooring where you dropped the pick and were going astern dead downwind.  Then you leave the mizzen up, perhaps with a reef in it, and hey presto, control.

Also a lovely rig in fresh air was the staysail and mizzen.  I tried to lead everything aft, including the staysail halyard and a downhaul, and it was a breeze.

Happy days.

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not sure how one would collect the lottery money without tax being taken out...  you can be damn sure that the government gets their cut at 35% before you even see your money...

Back of the napkin in the US of A... When you win a $300M lottery, you end up with about 33% of that in the bank, free and clear!

Even winning '$300M', you still can't realistically afford the Nomad 100er with only $100M in the bank...

36 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The sloop was a bit unbalanced.  King's Legend, Mehitabel (?).

The secret with the Swan 65 ketch, at least in the Caribbean, was to select a mooring where you dropped the pick and were going astern dead downwind.  Then you leave the mizzen up, perhaps with a reef in it, and hey presto, control.

Also a lovely rig in fresh air was the staysail and mizzen.  I tried to lead everything aft, including the staysail halyard and a downhaul, and it was a breeze.

Happy days.

There were 3 sloops: KL, Mehetabel, & Jaguar. I ran Meatball for 1 1/2 yrs

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, longy said:

Dammit I remember Meatball in Antigua.  Good parties.  Good times.

That was before I got on. Also when a famous west coast racer died hoisting the spi. (can't remember his name at the moment)

• Like 1

Guy had a heart attack hoisting the spi halyard at the mast. Triumph (c&C61) owner (heart doc) tried to resusitate, but too late

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P_Wop said:

That backing up thing of the 65s has more to do with the prop being too far forward of the rutter, no?

On the ketch I was on, the captain still pulled exactly that stunt in front of the marina building in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, right in the slot between an 80 foot modern swan and some stinkpot tender. Me and the guys helped with the lines but he didn’t really need us. 

I’m not sure I wanted that boat for myself. Sure, it was safe and comfy below, and she plowed through the ocean like an ox on a close reach. But the massive bridgedeck / tiny cockpit was a PITA, the rolling DDW  made half of the crew seasick, and the loads on the 17 winches were frightening. Oh, and besides: In 2018, that big, fat swan 65 was the smallest yacht in the whole harbour! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

On the ketch I was on, the captain still pulled exactly that stunt in front of the marina building in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, right in the slot between an 80 foot modern swan and some stinkpot tender. Me and the guys helped with the lines but he didn’t really need us. 

It was also good at Green Island.  Sail in, just jib and jigger, go head to wind early, drift up behind the reef, drop the jib (downhaul and halyard led aft really help), coast in and stop, drop the pick, settle back, stop the anchor cable to dig it in and straighten the boat, and carry on back with the mizzen keeping you in line.  Awning up, cocktails out.  Who needs an engine anyway?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Round these here parts, if you win 100 million you get 100 million in the bank. It’s tax-free.

Which is nice. 

2 hours ago, P_Wop said:

It was also good at Green Island.  Sail in, just jib and jigger, go head to wind early, drift up behind the reef, drop the jib (downhaul and halyard led aft really help), coast in and stop, drop the pick, settle back, stop the anchor cable to dig it in and straighten the boat, and carry on back with the mizzen keeping you in line.  Awning up, cocktails out.  Who needs an engine anyway?

No, I wasn’t clear enough. He made it under motor. 

18 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Two incidents made me lust after a Swan 65 for a lifetime - Sayula getting rolled in the Southern ocean and coming up intact to continue to the win in the first Whitbread and the opening scenes in "Meteor" when Sean Connery is racing one under about a square mile of spinnaker when the government comes calling.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Two incidents made me lust after a Swan 65 for a lifetime - Sayula getting rolled in the Southern ocean and coming up intact to continue to the win in the first Whitbread and the opening scenes in "Meteor" when Sean Connery is racing one under about a square mile of spinnaker when the government comes calling.

image.png.adb68d92f0c3e6c57d816b87124e67da.png

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not a Swan 65 in 'Meteor.' Sorry. S&S 55 yawl.

38 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I thought it looked a little short for 65'

2 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Prove it.

25 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Prove it.

Swan 65 ketch has a much bigger mizzen, and a permanent mizzen backstay too.

This one doesn't.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 12:25 AM, P_Wop said:

There used to be an Italian guy who I'm sure singlehand his Fife ketch between the Med and Antigua each year. He was friends with Carlo Falcone and would spend most the winter on the pick just off Pigeon Beach. He must have been easily in his 60s. Watching him lift the hook under-sail and disappear around the corner and away across the pond was pretty inspiring. 

At the time I was working on a 98ft classic ketch which me and the skipper would doublehand around the windward islands - no electric winches, no autopilot, no chart plotter (just lat/long GPS read-out in the nav station in the lazarette). I was quite impressed with our efforts until I learnt about the Italian guy...

TBH I've always kept this boat at the back of my mind as my 'lottery win' - based on it's condition last time I saw it, I'd sink almost all my winnings into a refit and end up in the exact same situation as the guy I worked for - with a beautiful yacht I can't afford to maintain properly...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Swan 65 ketch has a much bigger mizzen, and a permanent mizzen backstay too.

This one doesn't.

Go ahead - ruin a 40 year fantasy. :angry:

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Go ahead - ruin a 40 year fantasy. :angry:

Sorry mate!  But you can always stick to your alternative facts if you want to.  :lol::lol::lol:

On 10/30/2020 at 12:11 PM, SloopJonB said:

Sorry to bust your bubble but very few lotteries pay out enough for the purchase and upkeep of one of those.

Maybe change the title to, "When I come up with a way to completely eradicate coronavirus from the face of the earth..."

It's only 85 meters
1543775223_apex850atanchoraftopenplatforms1.jpg.e77b4fe1b477b853740dc600e5321da7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

Maybe change the title to, "When I come up with a way to completely eradicate coronavirus from the face of the earth..."

It's only 85 meters
1543775223_apex850atanchoraftopenplatforms1.jpg.e77b4fe1b477b853740dc600e5321da7.jpg

Looks like the love child from a sailboat - aircraft carrier romance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, slap said:

Just because you're rich doesn't mean you have taste.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Sloopy,
Have you ever gotten anything right? Not even close to a Swan.

meteor.jpg

Could that be Disney's old boat??

4 hours ago, Jules said:

Just because you're rich doesn't mean you have taste.

steve_jobs_yacht.jpg

3 hours ago, longy said:
8 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Sloopy,
Have you ever gotten anything right? Not even close to a Swan.

meteor.jpg

Putting you on ignore really got under your skin didn't it dumbfuck?

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ignore? I doubt you could even do that right Sloopy. 

5 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:
30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ignore? I doubt you could even do that right Sloopy. 

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It happendes so manney times I doutte it fazes hime at alle..............                   :)

9 hours ago, longy said:

Could that be Disney's old boat??

That was my first thought … that it was Roy’s boat.  I thought Shamrock was an F/C 44.  I haven’t seen one since the early 2000’s.  The schematic on sailboatdata.com shows a bumpkin, 4 cabin windows and the helm located aft of the mizzen.

The boat from the movie has the helm forward of the mizzen, 3 cabin windows and no bumpkin.

I am trying to remember if Roy’s had a bumpkin.  I think it might have, but I just can’t remember.  The other F/C 44 I recall seeing was moored off of Milton Point.  It was Drake Sparkman’s boat.  I think I recall Drake’s boat having a bumpkin.

But I do see that shamrock symbol above the mainsail tack.  Wonder where that comes from?

It has been 10 years this month since Drake (just so there is no confusion, Drake’s full name was Drake H. Sparkman, III) past away.  Most of my racing has been on the West Coast, but I did sail back East until I was 15 and then again from 1998 to 2013.  Drake was one of the first guys I met when I moved back East in ’98.  Drake was a great shipmate, a soft spoken and friendly guy.  He not only sailed but was Chair of the AYC Race Committee and a former Commodore of AYC.  He made me feel welcome and was one of my first “sailing friends” when I moved back East. A rare and special guy gone way too soon …

34 minutes ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

That was my first thought … that it was Roy’s boat.  I thought Shamrock was an F/C 44.  I haven’t seen one since the early 2000’s.  The schematic on sailboatdata.com shows a bumpkin, 4 cabin windows and the helm located aft of the mizzen.

The boat from the movie has the helm forward of the mizzen, 3 cabin windows and no bumpkin.

I am trying to remember if Roy’s had a bumpkin.  I think it might have, but I just can’t remember.  The other F/C 44 I recall seeing was moored off of Milton Point.  It was Drake Sparkman’s boat.  I think I recall Drake’s boat having a bumpkin.

But I do see that shamrock symbol above the mainsail tack.  Wonder where that comes from?

It has been 10 years this month since Drake (just so there is no confusion, Drake’s full name was Drake H. Sparkman, III) past away.  Most of my racing has been on the West Coast, but I did sail back East until I was 15 and then again from 1998 to 2013.  Drake was one of the first guys I met when I moved back East in ’98.  Drake was a great shipmate, a soft spoken and friendly guy.  He not only sailed but was Chair of the AYC Race Committee and a former Commodore of AYC.  He made me feel welcome and was one of my first “sailing friends” when I moved back East. A rare and special guy gone way too soon …

While often pronounced as 'bumpkin', the correct term is 'boomkin'.  Bumpkins are often considered close relatives of Trumptards but have their own unique distinguishing characteristics.... as in,  'country bumpkins'.    HRC may have been thinking of bumpkins when    she uttered the 'Deplorables' comment.  However, Deplorables (and Bumpkins) preceded Trumptards and cannot always be considered as being the Same Thing.

*Vocabulary police badge  #2444

41 minutes ago, longy said:

certain Shamrock was a custom build, aluminum.

I have seen boats ads that advertise F/C 44’s as a “sistership” to Shamrock.  I also remember Drake commenting his boat was a sistership to the Rock.

Conversely, I have seen Shamrock called a “52 footer” in an old Latitude 38.  And I realize you are extremely familiar with what we are discussing.

Next time I see Billy P., I’ll ask him.  He used to borrow it to go to the Island.  Greg, Herbie and Bobby had to get it ready for him.  Man, did they complain about that …

Oh yes, that would be very nice.

Maybe we'd finally bring Doug Zurn's Marblehead idea into reality?

Zurn%20Z-28.jpg

• Like 2

If I won the lotto, I'd make my existing boat "bristol", put a Hydrovane and a radar on it and cruise the shit out of it.

Caribbean in the winters, Maine in the summers.

Bras d' Or.

A trip to Bermuda and probably a hop over to the UK then down to the Caribbean again.

• Like 1

I worked with a guy who said, "If I won the lottery, I'd give a million to my wife and each of my kids and I'd spend the rest fucking with assholes."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matagi said:

Oh yes, that would be very nice.

Maybe we'd finally bring Doug Zurn's Marblehead idea into reality?

Zurn%20Z-28.jpg

A bit lighter, but damn the whole series looks so right....:wub:  is that the ~36?  A real cutie.

• Like 1

As long as we’re on the catboat thang

8CAFE9DD-FA2B-4A2B-A13C-C4BA71337C2C.jpeg

Or this 35’er, d/l in the 70’s- choices, choices

7559CB4B-AE42-40E9-A758-2407A106E138.jpeg

4 hours ago, Amati said:

A 40’ version of this

71DBEB13-38CC-49B7-AB73-3076AD194747.jpeg

Not nearly enough strings to pull.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not nearly enough strings to pull.

Yeah, but the one you really need to pull will probably give you a pretty hard time, so that cancels out.

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Yeah, but the one you really need to pull will probably give you a pretty hard time, so that cancels out.

Not necessarily.  The foot of the sail and the wishbone "out tackle" pretty well take care of the leech load.  The sheet simply adjusts sail angle and is generally pretty small.

• Like 1

If, and only IF I would opt for something bigger to say, sail the Northeast passage or fetch me a personal iceberg or so.

than:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amati said:

A 40’ version of this

71DBEB13-38CC-49B7-AB73-3076AD194747.jpeg

Is that an umbrella drink in the cockpit?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Is that an umbrella drink in the cockpit?

I wondered that too.  A signature doodle by the draftsman?  Perry likes to do a guy smoking a pipe, the smoke giving a clue about wind paths.  Was it Alden that liked to do a smiling cartoon avatar with a baseball hat?  Maybe Wylie or or Porter on this one?

• Like 1

Wouldn't matter how much coin I had/won, I would never own a yacht too big for me and my partner or kids to handle.

Current want, plus a custom 33ft trailerable day sailor with no interior, like what is the point of an interior in a day sailor!!!

460363028_Seawind1600-Mohea.jpg.6d83c507740f73967f40767812827184.jpg

18 minutes ago, mezaire said:

what is the point of an interior in a day sailor

1. Somewhere to shelter and drink tea when it's raining
  2. Somewhere to crap, and to urinate if you don't have external plumbing
  3. Somewhere to sulk when your sailing companion(s) piss you off
  4. Somewhere to bonk if the weather is unsuited to cockpit coitus

None of these needs an interior like a fancy apartment.  But they do need cushion, a heads, and a kettle

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

None of these needs an interior like a fancy apartment.  But they do need cushion, a heads, and a kettle

I should of clarified, a day racer!!!

My concept of a modern Etchells for long and short day racers.  If I want a coffee and a cushion I'd go on my big cat!!

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

We'll have to have you over some weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

We'll have to have you over some weekend.

I may not be an active participant in all of the 4 activities.

14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Well, not simultaneously.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

This might be the best exchange I've seen around here in a while.  Thank you both

• Like 2

If I won the lottery, it would depend how much of course. But we wouldn't be wandering around the planet. I've had enough of that.. We probably wouldn't even move.. But we would have the house updated and give it vast amounts of insulation.. I would retire of course..

As for sailing, I'd buy the ground the sailing club is on,  build the new clubhouse we're currently discussing.. , and buy a boat house just along the river somewhere.. 

Have the motorboat rebuilt professionally.. Have boat yards do the antifouling and maintenance of our boats..

On 11/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, Black Jack said:

Maybe have Martin make me one of these and I do the Silver Rudder. I am going to share some visualization on this one.

:wub:

3 hours ago, Amati said:

Maybe have Martin make me one of these and I do the Silver Rudder. I am going to share some visualization on this one.

Beautiful boat, but those seats looks painful.

I don't want a boat that needs a crew, even if I could afford a crew. The logistics and challenges of running a boat with just me and my lovely wife is the whole point of a boat. If I won the lottery I'd still only be looking for something that the 2 of us could happily live aboard, sail in any conditions, get in and out of a marina berth etc. That means probably not much more than 40', maybe 50' max. 

18 hours ago, Weyalan said:

I don't want a boat that needs a crew, even if I could afford a crew. The logistics and challenges of running a boat with just me and my lovely wife is the whole point of a boat. If I won the lottery I'd still only be looking for something that the 2 of us could happily live aboard, sail in any conditions, get in and out of a marina berth etc. That means probably not much more than 40', maybe 50' max. 

Frankly, having 2 handed a 40er ULDB for 20 years, freeboard (as in avoiding too much) is more important for getting In and out of a marina berth than length.  Just my $.02.  

Be prepared!  :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amati said:

Frankly, having 2 handed a 40er ULDB for 20 years, freeboard (as in avoiding too much) is more important for getting In and out of a marina berth than length.  Just my $.02.  

Be prepared!  :lol:

My 15 years 2-handed with a 40 foot boat weighing 6 tons makes me a mere neophyte by comparison, but who's counting ;)

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 6:09 PM, longy said:

Jaguar, 1985-1986, Newport CA to Palma.

I do like ketches, but without the mizzen the cockpit was much, much better.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 4:29 AM, The Q said:

Have boat yards do the antifouling and maintenance of our boats..

That's how you know you've really made it.

1 hour ago, carcrash said:

Jaguar, 1985-1986, Newport CA to Palma.

I do like ketches, but without the mizzen the cockpit was much, much better.

Did my first Trans Atlantic Palma to Antgua on Jaguar '87 Fond memories shame they put that weird radar arch at the stern don't think it ever looked right.

10 hours ago, Weyalan said:

My 15 years 2-handed with a 40 foot boat weighing 6 tons makes me a mere neophyte by comparison, but who's counting ;)

Depending on what kind of tons, what’s a couple of thousand pounds between friends when there are really heavy boats out there?  (Jeez, when I say it that way....:mellow:)

On 11/21/2020 at 6:06 PM, mezaire said:

Wouldn't matter how much coin I had/won, I would never own a yacht too big for me and my partner or kids to handle.

Current want, plus a custom 33ft trailerable day sailor with no interior, like what is the point of an interior in a day sailor!!!

460363028_Seawind1600-Mohea.jpg.6d83c507740f73967f40767812827184.jpg

Whazat?  Cool! B)  looks light, at least....

On 11/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, Ishmael said:

Beautiful boat, but those seats looks painful.

If you came to that from an Olympic Monotype, it would seem like a Comfy Chair?

On 11/11/2020 at 7:34 AM, slap said:

Some people just don’t like helicopters?  Although I suppose rigging and rotors don’t really mix all that well....

11 hours ago, Amati said:

Whazat?  Cool! B)  looks light, at least....

Seawind 1600.

For mine perfect balance of speed and comfort 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, Ishmael said:

Is that like the warning that if you sneeze, hiccup, burp, and fart at the same time you’ll DIE?

8 minutes ago, Amati said:

Is that like the warning that if you sneeze, hiccup, burp, and fart at the same time you’ll DIE?

No, you also have to come. Then you will die for sure.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

No, you also have to come. Then you will die for sure.

That’s :lol: disgusting :lol:..... :lol:

Is it better to get a bunch of smaller boats, or just one big honker for lottery loot lustery?  Along with shore land property and a boathouse, and a dock, and and and—

what does it matter?  I’m to chicken to go into a store that has lottery tickets and buy one......