Sign in to follow this  
Charsel

S2 27

Recommended Posts

Well, sold my Hinterhoeller F3, and looking to down size. Anybody have knowledge/experience owning/crewing on an S2 27? I'm looking  at a 1985 S2 27 deep draft

in Pensacola. Read about it and looked at brochure online. Will do some racing, but mostly weekend cruising until retired. Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the one that looked like a 7.9 but was just a tad longer, deep fin keel and slightly less sail plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the S2 7.9, it was designed by Graham & Schlageter for S2 Yachts. The 27 was an entirely new design. The S2 27 has a lot of MORC and 7.9 influence in her hull lines, but with a more freeboard and cruiser intended interior and deck layout. The S2 27 was introduced towards the end of sailboat production at S2, so not a lot of them were built. Very well built and has nice racer/cruiser possibilities though. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Is this the one that looked like a 7.9 but was just a tad longer, deep fin keel and slightly less sail plan?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheap Beer said:

Like the S2 7.9, it was designed by Graham & Schlageter for S2 Yachts. The 27 was an entirely new design. The S2 27 has a lot of MORC and 7.9 influence in her hull lines, but with a more freeboard and cruiser intended interior and deck layout. The S2 27 was introduced towards the end of sailboat production at S2, so not a lot of them were built. Very well built and has nice racer/cruiser possibilities though. Good luck!

Thanks. I would like the 7.9, but wifey likes this S2 27 because:

6' headroom

4'9" draft

It has factory installed A/C

It's a nice boat, just about everything rebuilt/replaced 2015 to present. Pics show very clean inside and out. Of course, a survey is in order, and will add asym and folding prop. Looks like it rates 186 PHRF, but I'm not sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

Listen to the wife.

This...

that’s how we got the S2 9.2/c.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Charsel said:

Thanks. I would like the 7.9, but wifey likes this S2 27 because:

6' headroom

4'9" draft

It has factory installed A/C

It's a nice boat, just about everything rebuilt/replaced 2015 to present. Pics show very clean inside and out. Of course, a survey is in order, and will add asym and folding prop. Looks like it rates 186 PHRF, but I'm not sure.

 

Sounds like a great boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The racing S2’s by G&S (10.3, 9.1, 7.9) had balsa cored hulls and decks.  Deck coring was not isolated where gear was mounted, so not unusual to find wet spots, esp near gear under loads.  
 

Not sure if the 27 has cored decks, but I’d guess it does.   Not a deal breaker by any means - just something to be aware of...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 4:20 PM, MikeR80 said:

Listen to the wife.

Amen. I buy boats to sail with her. Works amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Crash said:

The racing S2’s by G&S (10.3, 9.1, 7.9) had balsa cored hulls and decks.  Deck coring was not isolated where gear was mounted, so not unusual to find wet spots, esp near gear under loads.  
 

Not sure if the 27 has cored decks, but I’d guess it does.   Not a deal breaker by any means - just something to be aware of...

It's a core deck and hull. Another forum advised check chainplates for leaks, and I will bring small hammer for a random taping of deck and hull where fittings are

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mookiesurfs said:

Amen. I buy boats to sail with her. Works amazing.

Same here, A/C will let us cruise a bit more June-September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some discussion of the S2 27 by owners - from about ten years ago. 

https://www.sailnet.com/threads/s2-27-class-association.36424/

With a PHRF of 186 she will not be very quick (my S3 7.9 rates 171). 

But I think you are correct that your spouse will like it more than a 7.9 

Check all the through deck fittings VERY carefully. 

Re-bed them all through epoxy plugs if it has not already been done. 

My 7.9 had water intrusion into the deck core at chain plates, stanchions, and cockpit winches. 

Had I not done these repairs myself (7.9 is easy to work on deck core from underneath) they would 

have easily run to $ 5,000. 

Look over the deck very carefully, get a survey, use a moisture meter . . 

Don't be starry-eyed like I was - take a cynical friend along to look it over.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Here is some discussion of the S2 27 by owners - from about ten years ago. 

https://www.sailnet.com/threads/s2-27-class-association.36424/

With a PHRF of 186 she will not be very quick (my S3 7.9 rates 171). 

But I think you are correct that your spouse will like it more than a 7.9 

Check all the through deck fittings VERY carefully. 

Re-bed them all through epoxy plugs if it has not already been done. 

My 7.9 had water intrusion into the deck core at chain plates, stanchions, and cockpit winches. 

Had I not done these repairs myself (7.9 is easy to work on deck core from underneath) they would 

have easily run to $ 5,000. 

Look over the deck very carefully, get a survey, use a moisture meter . . 

Don't be starry-eyed like I was - take a cynical friend along to look it over.  

186 is “only” 15 secs slower, or less than 10%...so not really that much slower.  Used to race against a well sailed and prepped  Cal 3-30 that rated 162 to my 9.1’s 135, and got beat boat for boat more times than I’d like to admit.  I used to say +/- 12 secs in PHRF is essentially boat on boat.

Also, not a butt ton of S2 27s racing regularly, so I suspect 186 could be easy to sail to in a well prepared boat with decent sails & bottom.

I recorded about 50% of the deck of my 9.1, and had another 25% to go when I sold it.  But that boat made me look like a better sailor/racer than I was.  Many fond memories from that boat...despite losing a season of racing while recoring it :rolleyes:

OBTW, wet balsa retains something like 95% of its sheer strength.  So only real big worry is sections that have rotted/delaminated....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crash said:

186 is “only” 15 secs slower, or less than 10%...so not really that much slower.  Used to race against a well sailed and prepped  Cal 3-30 that rated 162 to my 9.1’s 135, and got beat boat for boat more times than I’d like to admit.  I used to say +/- 12 secs in PHRF is essentially boat on boat.

Also, not a butt ton of S2 27s racing regularly, so I suspect 186 could be easy to sail to in a well prepared boat with decent sails & bottom.

I recorded about 50% of the deck of my 9.1, and had another 25% to go when I sold it.  But that boat made me look like a better sailor/racer than I was.  Many fond memories from that boat...despite losing a season of racing while recoring it :rolleyes:

OBTW, wet balsa retains something like 95% of its sheer strength.  So only real big worry is sections that have rotted/delaminated....

 

Thanks for the info. I will get a suvey and alert surveyor to leak prown areas. I've done re-core on my F3; had a genoa turning block pull through the deck. Nothing like 'glassing core in a haz mat suit, goggles, and gloves in 100F heat in FLA. WEST took about 3 hrs to harden, and I did it bottom up. It built character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crash said:

OBTW, wet balsa retains something like 95% of its sheer strength.  So only real big worry is sections that have rotted/delaminated....

Very true - and moisture meters can pick up "damp core' as well . . 

meaning the core may have really minor dampness issues and be quite solid and serviceable, but register wet on a sensitive moisture meter. 

That's why you want a pro to be the one to do the measuring 

And actually, pressing on the outer skin with your thumb, or tapping with a soft mallet . . . .

can be almost as accurate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then there is that incident at Long Beach . . 

boat bashed up on the rocks with amazingly little damage. 

Pretty sure is was an S2 27 

https://tbrnews.com/photos_videos/video-sailboat-crashes-on-the-rocks-in-king-harbor-marina/video_807b2e56-ff9b-11e7-81e2-fb25aa4c1408.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

And then there is that incident at Long Beach . . 

boat bashed up on the rocks with amazingly little damage. 

Pretty sure is was an S2 27 

https://tbrnews.com/photos_videos/video-sailboat-crashes-on-the-rocks-in-king-harbor-marina/video_807b2e56-ff9b-11e7-81e2-fb25aa4c1408.html

Uh, no...  I'm guessing it's an 8.5.

The S2 27 looks like an even boxier cross between the 7.9 and 9.1 (outboard rudder, wide transom, boxy cabintop, 1980s MORC look):

image.png.f75e226171c95c46a76be9e599e6d544.png

The 8.5 has an inboard rudder, reverse transom, more rounded cabintop, and a late 1970s plain-jane look:

image.thumb.png.4850dea002d06a56dc89489ed6dac59d.png

 

Regardless, that S2 in Redondo Beach sure took a beating, stayed in one piece, and looks like it still kept afloat.  Kudos to Leon Slikkers' build quality.

Cheers!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Cheers!

thanks - I sit corrected 

And right, the boat in the vid has an inboard rudder, unlike the S2 27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this