blueminded

J35 Companionway Hatch Slider Channel

Mine are done and need to be replaced. Any good sources out there close to the original spec?

Years ago when re-fitting a J24, we replaced the cracked plastic hatch channels with aluminum square-U channels that we sourced at Home Depot.  We put a chamfer on the top edge to reduce the chance of slicing hands or spinnakers on them. 

• Like 2

Many thanks to See Level and knuckles for your assistance!

We took a chunk of the plastic to the local “slightly higher price but they seem to have everything” metals  store and they had the exact same size thickness and shape in aluminum.

that was thirty five years ago and I just bought enough to do two more J-22 last week 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, knuckles said:

Years ago when re-fitting a J24, we replaced the cracked plastic hatch channels with aluminum square-U channels that we sourced at Home Depot.  We put a chamfer on the top edge to reduce the chance of slicing hands or spinnakers on them. 

This is what I did on my J29. Its a forever fix. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:45 AM, Squalamax said:

This is what I did on my J29. Its a forever fix. 

The Home Depot stuff costs just as much as the thicker stuff from a metals supplier. 
The stuff we buy is so thick we can countersink for flathead #10 self tapping screws so they sit well below grade. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, knuckles said:

Worked for our J/36 too. They can be stood on without worrying about cracking or bending them.  

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the advice, went the metal route, it is a forever fix.