enigmatically2

Christmas Regatta

So, 6 weeks until the first time these boats race. Naturally everyone will believe that their boat is sandbagging (though I have doubts on that) but everyone else will not be.

But, irrespective of that, what do you think the results will be? And what will you be looking for specifically?

I believe that this is likely to be higher winds than in March, will there be spills? Crashes on the start line?

Anything else

40 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Do we know the format?

It has not been posted yet but logically it will be Match Racing. 

As to ‘sandbagging,’ while the syndicates may hold back some developments for later in the game, the crews will surely race whatever their boats have at the time as hard as they can. Let’s hope speeds are reasonably close but it’s more likely at this early stage that 1 or 2 will be significantly advanced. 

2.3 Still has these dates for the Christmas Regatta:

45CCCB76-975C-406A-BA24-600B21A67505.thumb.jpeg.a949e0f5beecc4310aab63b1314fa802.jpeg
And, separate to the Christmas Regatta, ACWS payments are referred to here: 

D5389477-6485-472A-A51E-DE3C8A761F39.thumb.jpeg.e2f1a9c5583225b684c3d91e0e23c735.jpeg

Question: The Dec 17-20 event, is that the ACWS Auckland event or the Christmas Regatta, in terms of fees? 

Wonder what else Alessandra Pandarese is doing “on behalf of CoR” these days ...

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Wonder what else Alessandra Pandarese is doing “on behalf of CoR” these days ...

Laundering money I suspect.

US$300k per competitor is a lot of money for one race. It seems GD & ETNZ have said no thanks...

7 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Wth? Is ETNZ is not a Competitor? 

99FFEB9E-AA40-4C50-8AF8-21C955BDD376.thumb.jpeg.6349b5f61af03af9f0a7a140ac272055.jpeg

Interesting. Seems quite pointed!?

It does seem pointed. Even if NZ did pay the money on time (just) as they claim, one wonders why they let it go to the wire for something so important. The only 2 reasons I can think of are incompetence or a shortage of money with which to pay it,. The latter seems more likely. It could also explain why they are late getting B2 on the water. 

Alternatively it could all be a deliberate ploy by NZ to not show their hand at the Christmas regatta. But if that were the case then why would they protesting so hard that they did pay in time.

30 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

It does seem pointed. Even if NZ did pay the money on time (just) as they claim, one wonders why they let it go to the wire for something so important. The only 2 reasons I can think of are incompetence or a shortage of money with which to pay it,. The latter seems more likely. It could also explain why they are late getting B2 on the water. 

Alternatively it could all be a deliberate ploy by NZ to not show their hand at the Christmas regatta. But if that were the case then why would they protesting so hard that they did pay in time.

You sound like the turkeys who scoffed at ETNZ arriving 'late' to Bermuda.

I'm not sure how you've missed all the public announcements of a date, but B2 is on schedule.

If you think any of these teams don't have $300k on hand then that may explain some of your critique.

Fair enough, then why did they leave it so close to the wire that there was even a chance that it would all get messed up?

Are you asserting incompetence?

7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Fair enough, then why did they leave it so close to the wire that there was even a chance that it would all get messed up?

Are you asserting incompetence?

A bit of a fuck up? Possibly.

I am naive but I still do not understand why ETNZ would want to race B2 early on, or against anyone but the winner of Prada Cup.  I had thought they would race B1 in Christmas if they wanted boat on boat practice but apparently B1 is defunct. 

Going back to arbitration.  ETNZ arguing that they paid within 7 working days.  

Regardless won't go down too well if ETNZ isn't allowed in considering they have actually paid even if arguably a few days late.

Will the Italians start shipping in their own food now if arbitration keeps ETNZ out?

Given that the AP decision said 5 days to appeal, and 7 to pay if not, then I think NZs interpretation is reasonable. Still think they were stupid pushing to the wire when there was no advantage though

I guess if you had to pick an area to be a bit of a mess in, the event registration is probably further down the list than, you know, sailing team or design team.  All said kinda weird that NZ has had so many public airings of issues this time around. 

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Will the Italians start shipping in their own food now if arbitration keeps ETNZ out?

Italians for sure are bringing in their own food regardless :D 

• Like 1

No worries, if Prada keeps up the "spirit of friendly competition" as they have been lately, the local fans will probably toss a few tomatoes, eggs, etc. in their direction as they sail past 

• Like 2

Or heavy cans of inedible spaghetti...

19 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Or heavy cans of inedible spaghetti...

That would be Wattie's Spaghetti, right?

shopping.png

That's the sickly, inedible Satan's spaghetti, yes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rh3000 said:

A bit of a fuck up? Possibly.

Wonder if the truth will ever out.  Other than your basic run-of-the-mill fuck-up it hardly appears to be in the spirit of friendly competition.

One AC cycle might actually be about boats racing, not legal diversions and brinksmanship.

31 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Wonder if the truth will ever out.  Other than your basic run-of-the-mill fuck-up it hardly appears to be in the spirit of friendly competition.

Butterballs earning his keep.

23 minutes ago, barfy said:

Butterballs earning his keep.

Yep, keep personifying things, keep shooting the messenger. 

ETNZ may have fucked up again, it’s all over the NZ news headlines, and BB didn’t write the rules. 

it will blow over.. hopefully.. but attacking everybody else for self-inflicted f’up’s is getting a bit old.. 

Maybe Herbfie is in control? :D 

16 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

ETNZ have clearly decided they'll just observe and learn as much as they can from the Challengers as they thrash each other over 32 races while they fine-tune and undertake their planned mods, to be tested in the Christmas Cup races.

28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

ETNZ may have fucked up again, it’s all over the NZ news headlines, and BB didn’t write the rules. 

it will blow over.. hopefully.. but attacking everybody else for self-inflicted f’up’s is getting a bit old.. 

Calm down. It is not all over the NZ headlines.

But you're right, it will blow over just like every other attack on ETNZ has blown over.

At the end of the day, ETNZ's focus is on defending the Americas Cup. The preliminaries are nothing more than an exhibition. Entertainment.

42 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

He's more than just a "messenger" mate. BB is doing a job, and that job includes adverserial activity towards the defender on behald of his employer. So be it.

BB has demonstrated over and over again, that whilst he may not be deliberatly trying to damage Auckland and NZ's outcomes, he certainly doesn't care or consider if they are collatoral damage in activities engaged by him and his employer towards the defender.

That the locals like to bitch about him being a hatchet man getting paid to be a thorn in his country's side (again), is neither surprising nor unfair. It's par for the course he's chosen to play on, and he's a big boy who has no doubt insured the salary is commensurate with the level of discomfort experienced.

Actual "NZ news headlines" right now

2133812014_ScreenShot2020-11-19at3_52_52PM.png.4edd859d3acdd6858618fc63df0db2ba.png

^ Another example of ‘shoot the messenger.’ 

BB is not who f’d up with the courses despite the aggressive hitouts by ETNZ, the solution always was with the Harbormaster. As he explained, before it got resolved.. Plus, when BB said in a (Google-translated) article that he was not ‘impressed’ with the other B2’s so far, he almost certainly meant he was not ‘afraid’ of them, but a few rabid Kiwi’s tried to make a fight out of it nevertheless because.. clickbait! 

5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

^ Another example of ‘shoot the messenger.’ 

BB is not who f’d up with the courses, the solution was with the Harbormaster. As he explained, before it got resolved.. 

Last time I checked, LR still haven't conceded that the other two courses are back on as far as they are concerned... right now, it's purely brinksmanship with ETNZ, for no real gain, and a loss for the city...

The 'messenger' is the media mate, BB is part of the story, not the writer of it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

The 'messenger' is the media mate, BB is part of the story, not the writer of it..

Sure, but ETNZ is trying to chronicle who the suppose’d evil-doers are, they’ve been aggressively attacking everyone in gunshot range.

Why? My guess is that it is partly to stir up hatred against the Challs, for home-country PR reasons. Some of you take the bait hook, line and sinker! 

28 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Calm down. It is not all over the NZ headlines.

But you're right, it will blow over just like every other attack on ETNZ has blown over.

At the end of the day, ETNZ's focus is on defending the Americas Cup. The preliminaries are nothing more than an exhibition. Entertainment.

Meanwhile what's happening beyond the smoke screen?

7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Sure, but ETNZ is trying to chronicle who the suppose’d evil-doers are, they’ve been aggressively attacking everyone in gunshot range.

ETNZ have been shooting for BB? Or was it BB that came out to hit ETNZ?

You know the answer...

7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Why? My guess is that it is partly to stir up hatred against the Challs, for home-country PR reasons. Some of you take the bait hook, line and sinker! 

Nah mate, as proven over and over we leave the bait headlines to the likes of you ;-)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

"they’ve been aggressively attacking everyone in gunshot range"

The alternate facts are strong in this one lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Last time I checked, LR still haven't conceded that the other two courses are back on as far as they are concerned... right now, it's purely brinksmanship with ETNZ, for no real gain, and a loss for the city...

I don't think the challengers give a shit about the city, they are there to win the cup and do not care if the locals can watch it from some shore vantage point.  In fact I suspect they would rather the racing was held far out in the Gulf in fair breezes.

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

I don't think the challengers give a shit about the city, they are there to win the cup and do not care if the locals can watch it from some shore vantage point.  

Exactly my point mate when it comes to BB.

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The only Muppet I keep on top of is you spewbitch.

It's obvious what butterbald has been hired for,and it's not as stated liason. It's distraction, deflection, and everything #getdalton. 

Fuck me, why didn't you pitch your cry bitch?

13 hours ago, trt131 said:

Last time I checked, LR still haven't conceded that the other two courses are back on as far as they are concerned.

BB made a comment recently about how he was happy that it got resolved, that B & C are now available throughout. 

47 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

BB made a comment recently about how he was happy that it got resolved, that B & C are now available throughout. 

Good to know - do you have a linky?

4 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Good to know - do you have a linky?

Sorry, I forget where it was. May have been a quote in a Stuff article. Definitely happened, it’s all good. 

The one where he said one course (?) offered great conditions in most wind directions so was favoured but that he totally understood the desire to race as much as possible on the close in courses B&C?

Can't remember where it was either sorry:D

Just now, nav said:

The one where he said one course (?) offered great conditions in most wind directions so was favoured but that he totally understood the desire to race as much as possible on the close in courses B&C?

Yes, that one! 

2 hours ago, nav said:

And the one where he said the team that he represented wanted nothing to do with the closer courses due to local knowledge perhaps being the deciding factor in a win and two teams having skippers who are local and his team having not.

31 minutes ago, barfy said:

And the one where he said the team that he represented wanted nothing to do with the closer courses due to local knowledge perhaps being the deciding factor in a win and two teams having skippers who are local and his team having not.

Cut the bullshit, the point was about if the Challs had to race (and so practice on) courses that excluded B & C, to win the Challenger Series, while ETNZ was free to practice for months on any courses they wanted to. 

Btw, the course nav was referring to in the BB quote was course E, and yes it is as BB said likely to be what RD Murray will select much of the time in any event anyway, whether or not B & C are now legally in play.

The problem was not about the messenger BB, it was about the facts of the Prot rules, stop taking the bait or else: Swallow hard, Herbfie! 

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

the course nav was referring to in the BB quote was course E, and yes it is as BB said likely to be what RD Murray will select much of the time in any event anyway, whether or not B & C are now legally in play.

How the fuck does butterballs know what IM is going to do. I'm pretty sure he, and you will have to eat this idea that races will be out on course e. I know you have no clue about local conditions amongst other bits,but B &C are the best courses for the predominate SW sea breeze. I even provide you with a citation, rather that just being a spew bitch like you.

The point was distraction, nullifying local knowledge, and generally getting the locals to take a swipe at etnz.

Swallow away spew.bitch, just another butt hurt hypothesis from you. 

48 minutes ago, barfy said:

Swallow away spew.bitch, just another butt hurt hypothesis from you. 

Please feel free to look in the mirror, man up, and then bravely admit to yourself that you are staring at an idiot. It will greatly help your understanding about why nobody ever gives a fuck about anything you post. 

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Please feel free to look in the mirror, man up, and then bravely admit to yourself that you are staring at an idiot. It will greatly help your understanding about why nobody ever gives a fuck about anything you post. 

Tell us about the app spew bitch.

25 minutes ago, barfy said:

Tell us about the app spew bitch.

BB was not to blame for the Prot-breaking rules F-up. And BB is happy it got resolved. 

Feel free to keep shooting messengers, attacking posters, running around childishly down-voting peoples’ posts, and having such delusional dreams about Herbie that you post imaginary videos about it! Lmao, you lost credibility years ago so just fuck off with the insults or take the idiot-appropriate return fire you’ve earned. 

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

BB was not to blame for the Prot-breaking rules F-up. And BB is happy it got resolved. 

Feel free to keep shooting messengers, attacking posters, running around childishly down-voting peoples’ posts, and having such delusional dreams about Herbie that you post imaginary videos about it! Lmao, you lost credibility years ago, just fuck off with the insults or take the appropriate return fire. 

No.it's all about you spewbot.

The videos were straight from public domain coverage, it's just you that's so butt hurt you can't stop your tears every time I post. Hope this one makes you reach for the analsol.

Tell us about the app.

Is the Christmas cup going to be televised??

2 hours ago, uflux said:

Is the Christmas cup going to be televised??

I know it will in Italy, so I’m assuming everywhere else too

Oh yes I see TVNZ are doing it :)

probably a good idea for some to install a few options and soon ( cough kodi and builds )

getting a vpn is a desirable must as well well

at worst they will then be able to get tvnz coverage

From one of the docs that was posted, the Christmas regatta is the responsibility of the COR to arrange,and it is to do that that NZ were supposed to pay their money.

So if it doesn't happen no doubt LR will blame the late payment

14 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

From one of the docs that was posted, the Christmas regatta is the responsibility of the COR to arrange,and it is to do that that NZ were supposed to pay their money.

So if it doesn't happen no doubt LR will blame the late payment

Or if the COR doesn't let a team compete because they didn't pay, that of course will be blamed on the COR....

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Or if the COR doesn't let a team compete because they didn't pay, that of course will be blamed on the COR....

One of these days, you'll get something right - even a blind squirrel stumbles across an acorn eventually. The ACWS and Christmas Cup  are two separate events, as the Arbitration Panel ruled.

from https://media.americascup.com/record/~baa7859610

The racing format for the four days of racing has now been finalised. For the first three days of the PRADA ACWS Auckland (17th-19th of December) there will be four races per day of Round Robin competition when all of the four teams will race each other twice.

The fourth day (20th of December) the PRADA Christmas Race will kick off and will be comprised of two knock out stages, the first stage consists of two head to head match ups, the winners of each will progress to the final, the losers to a 3rd & 4th match which will help decide the final rankings. The pairing of the Christmas Race Semifinals will be decided by the results of the PRADA ACWS Auckland double Round Robin.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:47 PM, DayTripper said:

Wasn't one of ETNZ's goals that everything would be free to view or was that only the cup itself?

It's free in Aotearoa :P

On 11/22/2020 at 6:47 PM, DayTripper said:

Wasn't one of ETNZ's goals that everything would be free to view or was that only the cup itself?

Dalton's promise was broadest-ever distribution of Cup coverage. In that he appears to have succeeded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

America's Cup: Teams to tangle early with five days of official practice confirmed ahead of December regatta

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123546759/americas-cup-teams-to-tangle-early-with-five-days-of-official-practice-confirmed-ahead-of-december-regatta

Yay! Just a week to go to "Official Training"

"The four teams will be granted access to the race course on December 8 and 10 between 3pm and 6pm to train."

I take that to mean the RC will be laying course markers for those practice days.

Jimmy's ego will collide with Rangitoto. The resulting eruption and lava flow will extend across the harbour, forming a natural dock like platform that Ben will find irresistible. The LR team will be too busy selling handbags on Queen Street to show up, but Max will be mad at Grant anyway. Grant will be at MBIE, so won't care.

Confused? You won't be after this exciting episode of AC35.5...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KiwiJoker said:

Yay! Just a week to go to "Official Training"

"The four teams will be granted access to the race course on December 8 and 10 between 3pm and 6pm to train."

I take that to mean the RC will be laying course markers for those practice days.

There’s talk of running practice races prior to the event to give the race management team half a chance of getting it right on the day. 

• Like 1

So do the rules about coordinated sailing apply for these practice days? 

Be good to finally see all boats close together and not just hooning randomly about. 

Booked my flights and spectator boat seats. Cost an arm and leg but don't want to have to drive all over the city on the off chance of finding a piece of dirt to sit on. Can't wait. Free booze> could be untidy. 

• Like 3

ETNZ will throw their ACWS races against Team-NYYC so they can get into the Prada Cup Final and beat Team Ineos to become Challenger.

Then ETNZ will throw one race against LR-PP so they don't throw their toys outa the cot and fuck off home:D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

There’s talk of running practice races prior to the event to give the race management team half a chance of getting it right on the day. 

SOP for past events

Looking forward to that event, Why is American magic looking bow down in aerodynamics?
A downward foiler deck.
570105081_americanmagic.thumb.PNG.038fc067ceb316b7dfb4ffb9ef75c072.PNG
Well, trimming isnt't easy on that level.
It is a trimming nightmare!

56 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Looking forward to that event, Why is American magic looking bow down in aerodynamics?
A downward foiler deck.
570105081_americanmagic.thumb.PNG.038fc067ceb316b7dfb4ffb9ef75c072.PNG
Well, trimming isnt't easy on that level.
It is a trimming nightmare!

They are going bow-down for better wig-hair trimming effect, haven’t you been following? :D 

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

So we will see the boats in action together in 1 week!? What does "training" entail?

AC World Series Auckland
Official practices, with the teams training together, will be held from 1500-1800 Auckland time, on 

• Tuesday 8 December
  • Thursday 10 December

17 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

So we will see the boats in action together in 1 week!? What does "training" entail?

AC World Series Auckland
Official practices, with the teams training together, will be held from 1500-1800 Auckland time, on 

• Tuesday 8 December
  • Thursday 10 December

This will be the teams' first introduction to an actual race course, with marker buoys in position. Also a first opportunity for race officials to define a race course and set marks.

And thus a first opportunity for crews to approach and round marks in optimal fashion

Inevitable that boats will be sailing in the same patch of water.

And it is often said that boats are "racing" when they are in sight of each other!

Soo... Have spent the day on the interweb and phone. Living on a different island I thought great let's see the action. Flights pretty cheap, work sorted. But, but. Even without some thousands of keen overseas spectators due to covid, it seems the only on water options for the four days, without a 40 + footer in westahaven marina are; $3600 for explore groups ferry, or hiring a fishing  boat for the day(s) . Pretty shit options really for the first proper world event in AC 75s. I am a bit surprised TBH. No doubt everything afloat will be out for the actual cups. Everyone can't drive to North Head Takapuna Bastion or Maraetai. The race Village will be packed I guess. Will see what tomorrow brings. There's always the pub I guess, or driving 2 days with the boat attached, or borrow a mates helicopter.