ExOmo

SDYC Hot Rum 2020

16 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

What was the weather like? Shitty like it was in the OC? Balboa cancelled their race today.

20 gusting 25. AKA pretty normal for most of the world where sail races take place...

Here’s Scott:

A442370C-FFD3-4E55-8C04-CD7DE30B8B05.jpeg

one of the worst racing days i've ever had. put a j/105 jib up that didn't fit well, didn't sheet right and we were slow almost all day. not smart, not fast and got our hat handed to us by benny and the boys so fucking thoroughly it was embarrassing. btw, i don't think we were racing in that pic but that hardly matters. we sucked.

lick these wounds, and live to fit another day.

• Like 2

Hey, at least the Ed raced. We bailed, knowing we were going to be a crew of two and waves were breaking outside. Then R/C moved to a shorter course in the bay and I ended up watching the whole race from Shelter Island wishing I could have that decision back. Well, we weren’t the only ones. The J105s cleaned up. Five out of the first seven places.

What was the story about the two boats that locked rigs down by Seaport Village.    Last I saw, one mast was folded in half and the boats were still locked up.   Looked like a Catalina 34 and something else.   Lots of Harbor Police and Coast Guard boats screaming down the bay to sort it all out.

29 minutes ago, OC Racer said:

What was the story about the two boats that locked rigs down by Seaport Village.    Last I saw, one mast was folded in half and the boats were still locked up.   Looked like a Catalina 34 and something else.   Lots of Harbor Police and Coast Guard boats screaming down the bay to sort it all out.

One crashed into the other. 

1 hour ago, OC Racer said:

E6B20506-785F-456A-A5DC-A3DA529F504B.jpeg

On 11/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Editor said:

one of the worst racing days i've ever had. put a j/105 jib up that didn't fit well, didn't sheet right and we were slow almost all day. not smart, not fast and got our hat handed to us by benny and the boys so fucking thoroughly it was embarrassing. btw, i don't think we were racing in that pic but that hardly matters. we sucked.

“Poor craftsman that blames his tools”  call your sailmaker wit your debit card....

With slow boats once you know what works you can replicate it any time. The trick is to learn what works without getting it horribly wrong in the learning.

Here endith the lesson.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:02 AM, Editor said:

Seems like your boat coming from Lake Michigan would have a #3 &  #2 with proper leads to adjus vs the j105 jib you used ?

17 hours ago, kmcfast said:

“Poor craftsman that blames his tools”  call your sailmaker wit your debit card....

pretty sure i blamed me, but thanks.

5 hours ago, sailingbeme said:

Seems like your boat coming from Lake Michigan would have a #3 &  #2 with proper leads to adjus vs the j105 jib you used ?

it didn't and it doesn't. the headsails were a shit show. the "#3" is a bizarre mule, and there is no #2, the "#1" is a 144%

That's interesting. I think the default for most boat owners here is to run out and buy a light #1. That was my plan but others have advised, since I'm almost always short handed in a boat with a fairly powerful main, that a #2 would be a better first buy. Saturday was definitely a #2 kind of day although I've done fairly well in the softer racing events with a good #3. Crewing on other boats in our class, they always have the #1 up but there will generally be five or more crew.

I really wish you would refer to this as the "Sinnhoffer Hot Rum" series as it was originally known.  I worked for Herbie Sinnhoffer for a couple of years prior to his retirement. Many people forget (or never knew) some of the sailmakers that he trained and later went on to their own lofts.  Elton Ballas (sp) now the Ullman loft, myself (former Reams Sails space now Quantum loft) and of course Lowell North who started a little company still in business.

Herbie, a long time member of SDYC, donated the original trophy and set the format for the Hot Rum series and he is now rarely remembered.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kinardly said:

That's interesting. I think the default for most boat owners here is to run out and buy a light #1. That was my plan but others have advised, since I'm almost always short handed in a boat with a fairly powerful main, that a #2 would be a better first buy. Saturday was definitely a #2 kind of day although I've done fairly well in the softer racing events with a good #3. Crewing on other boats in our class, they always have the #1 up but there will generally be five or more crew.

I think it depends on the boat. I've found my 135% Genoa gets overpowered in 10-12kts with two on board but the 100ish% Jib doesn't come to life until 15kts even with in-haulers. I find reefing the main at 12kts and putting the blade up at 15 and shaking the reef to be a viable solution.

I'm a bit annoyed with the sheeting angle at the 100-105% jib mark as my tracks go immediately inboard of the shrouds and the clew gets stuck if sheeted inboard or sheets with a shit angle if outboard. Maybe Santa will hook me up with a 110% and 95% to solve it.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Editor said:

12th out of 76 overall aint bad for an old bucket like you.......I mean the boat. :)

Then Nard was humping and sea state was nasty. Sunday was worse.  11:30am to 1:30pm at OX airport was steady 30+ with gusts to 41, off shore was hitting gusts at 50.

If your foils are somewhat efficient, a full hoist 102% to 105% with inboard  or outboard tracks. Measure the sheeting angles. Most older mastheads need a little bit of overlap on #3 s. If your foils are fat and slow a San Fran Santana 22 OD type of mule sheeted wide or a little inboard would work.

7DDD264A-9166-40AD-873B-50AE5BBD0F7D.jpeg

What's the deal with all the DNCs in the results? Seems strange that 30% of the boats registered didn't make an attempt.

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I got up and drove out to the lighthouse for a look at the conditions off Coronado Roads and saw breaking waves just east of Zuniga Jetty. We're a household only crew and neither my daughter nor wife was having any of it and, after a couple of phone conversations with my son in law, we decided two guys in a forty foot boat thrashing around with 115 others was a bad idea. It barely got over 20 kts inside the bay but we never got the word the course was shortened.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, some dude said:

One crashed into the other. 

Weren't they supposed to keep 6' away at all times?!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I got up and drove out to the lighthouse for a look at the conditions off Coronado Roads and saw breaking waves just east of Zuniga Jetty. We're a household only crew and neither my daughter nor wife was having any of it and, after a couple of phone conversations with my son in law, we decided two guys in a forty foot boat thrashing around with 115 others was a bad idea. It barely got over 20 kts inside the bay but we never got the word the course was shortened.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:57 PM, USA275 said:

Had a 50 knot squall come through San Clemente at 9am, pretty much solidified the decision

It's SD, you guys love flat water and a moderate breeze. Isn't that why the FT10M Anarchy never raced north??

Come to the SB Channel and get some real sailing in.

• Like 1

I have fond memories of towing FJs up to the Gaucho Regatta for my son's HS team and watching the action from the end of the jetty. Great venue.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:02 PM, Meat Wad said:

It's SD, you guys love flat water and a moderate breeze. Isn't that why the FT10M Anarchy never raced north??

Come to the SB Channel and get some real sailing in.

Dude, we won the sb-king harbor race overall like 2 years ago on scots ft10!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notallthere said:

Dude, we won the sb-king harbor race overall like 2 years ago on scots ft10!

that is FAR from flat water. it can be downright mean.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, kmcfast said:

If your foils are somewhat efficient, a full hoist 102% to 105% with inboard  or outboard tracks. Measure the sheeting angles. Most older mastheads need a little bit of overlap on #3 s. If your foils are fat and slow a San Fran Santana 22 OD type of mule sheeted wide or a little inboard would work.

7DDD264A-9166-40AD-873B-50AE5BBD0F7D.jpeg

Congratulations to Staghound winning Race #2 in very light and tricky conditions. 

• Like 1

We passed them to weather right at the jetty but kept our distance.

On 11/14/2020 at 10:27 PM, Boatzilla said:

So the guy that bought the Riptide 35 Ripple renamed it Too Loco!? 
What's going on with this boat... 

He’s turned the money hose on high and it’s still running.

C0B2A280-05F6-472B-A8C5-DCB829085285.jpeg

Windy is saying it's gonna be a light one tomorrow.

There was more breeze than every forecast except HRR. RC shortened course to finish at mark 5. Results still not posted on website. It will be interesting to see how they credit back the shorter course correction on a pursuit format.

4 hours ago, maxman said:

How come no results? Someone protest the course shorting? I did not see a provision for it in the SI?

RRS 32

While it is true that everyone who started after the Catalina 27 got more and more progressively screwed by the shortened course, hard core racing is not what the Hot Rums is about IMO. We had a ball on all three events and the opportunity to catch up with old friends. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, Movable Ballast said:

While it is true that everyone who started after the Catalina 27 got more and more progressively screwed by the shortened course, hard core racing is not what the Hot Rums is about IMO. We had a ball on all three events and the opportunity to catch up with old friends. 

Somewhat true.  Athough there will always be those who treat it as a Grand Prix event.   I enjoy it and am pretty willing to drive the 240 mile round trip for 11.89 miles of racing in very often light and crappy conditions. Learned a lot of the local knowledge about getting in and out of the bay. 

• Like 2

You guys are racing? It looked like a full crew racing looking at Wastebook shots. Our racing has been postponed for now so what's the deal?